Test your AV program

meh - these sorts of tools are simply propaganda. "Look at what our software can do for you" when the maker specifically designs the tests for their own software. (Or collaborative effort to sell software industry-wide.)

Seems my systems are over and above any of their tests with my configurations lol:

Capture.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
meh - these sorts of tools are simply propaganda. "Look at what our software can do for you" when the maker specifically designs the tests for their own software. (Or collaborative effort to sell software industry-wide.)

Seems my systems are over and above any of their tests with my configurations lol:

View attachment 37671

:roflmao: 470 is impressive. I still don't believe the software was designed as "propaganda" Any experienced computer user can tell you their are multiple ways to accomplish the same task. Especially when it comes to creating software with the focus being security.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Nice post, Well i tried it on a virtual machine and this is my results...

Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 19.24.28.png

David I just ran your tester, my VM failed 3,4 and 5 :sick:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Server 2012 R2 / 8.1
So I ran the five test with Avast! free and Windows Firewall, and 4 out of 5. One of which though I think was IE cause IE would not go to the page it was sending me to but Avast! never prompted me anything. I am also very interested in knowing how will defender will fair, so if you have defender it would be awesome if you did the test and posted output.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP2740
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4702HQ 2.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    W740SU
    Memory
    8 GB 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Iris Pro 5200
    Sound Card
    High Defenition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    IPS Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB mSATA
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps cable, NETGEAR Night Hawk AC1900
    Browser
    Firefox 38.0.5
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Malwarebytes Pro
Sorry to hear 3, 4 and 5. I was hoping to hear better things about defender.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP2740
    CPU
    Motherboard
    W740SU
    Memory
    8 GB 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Iris Pro 5200
    Sound Card
    High Defenition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    IPS Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 38.0.5
    Antivirus
Sorry to hear 3, 4 and 5. I was hoping to hear better things about defender.

Imho, the fact that Defender is not worse than malware like most of security software is, is reason enough to consider it the best of the best.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
Yes but with members here on the Forum people can find a better AV that is not all malicious. What I give defender prop's for is being provided on every Windows 8 and 8.1 computer. I know plenty of people who don't even think about what AV to run or even care. It is at least something.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP2740
    CPU
    Motherboard
    W740SU
    Memory
    8 GB 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Iris Pro 5200
    Sound Card
    High Defenition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    IPS Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Firefox 38.0.5
    Antivirus
So I ran the five test with Avast! free and Windows Firewall, and 4 out of 5. One of which though I think was IE cause IE would not go to the page it was sending me to but Avast! never prompted me anything. I am also very interested in knowing how will defender will fair, so if you have defender it would be awesome if you did the test and posted output.

Avast free will pass 5 of 5 if you have the "scan for unwamted PUPs" feature activated. Note that it is not activated by default. See David's first post for how to activate it (file shield, web shield, mail shield) and retest please.

Also, I remember experiencing the behavior you described and it might act that way if you have already tested it once and then try to test it again without rebooting (and maybe clearing the IE cache as well). Now, I'm guessing Avast may be intelligent enough to realize you have already been notified about that site and; therefore, it may not provide a redundant notification during the same session. I also noticed this only happened with IE (if I remember correctly).

Cheers,

my2cents

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Webroot Secure Anywhere passes 4 out of the 5 tests. The Antiphishing one is the one it would not pass even though it is turned on by default.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    Memory
    8 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE Force 5200
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2009M x's 2
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900 x's 2
    Hard Drives
    One internal Western Digital HD 650 GB
    Three external Western Digital HD's - 1 TB each
Webroot Secure Anywhere passes 4 out of the 5 tests. The Antiphishing one is the one it would not pass even though it is turned on by default.

Hi edee,

Thanks for testing. This is what a successful detection might look like. However, I did notice that Webroot is not listed as a participating member so, if you are concerned, you might want to contact them directly:

phishing.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Test results using Win 8.1 x64, Avast Free v2014.9.0.2013, Firefox v27.0.1. Results: Passed all 5 tests.

test1.jpg

test2.jpg

test3.jpg

test4.jpg

test5.jpg

Cheers!

my2cents

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
I ran the AMTSO test on my desktop and all 5 tests were blocked.

I am running 8.1 with Norton 360 latest version. From viewing this forum I know that many of you folks, that are much more knowledgeable about computers & software than I am, are not big fans of the Norton Products but I know what works for me. I have been using a Norton Product for Firewall/AV/Malware protection for more than 10 years and I have never had an infection and believe me when I say I surf with Reckless Abandon and I am on the net a lot. I also have Malwarebytes Pro and scan regularly just to be sure. I would not feel comfortable with Windows Defender and one of the free AV solutions but that's just my opinion and I don't mind paying for protection if it really works as long as the cost is reasonable especially when I see the grief some experience after an infection.:D

I will run the other tests and report back the results.

Great Thread

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP 500-075 Desktop + HP 15-f018dx Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz Quad Core/ LT - i3-4030U 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (DX10.1)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    1T HDD, 16G Sandisk Cache Drive, 2T Seagate 3.0 External
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
    CyberPower UPS, Macrium Backup, Revo Pro, Malwarebytes Premium

I am running 8.1 with Norton 360 latest version. From viewing this forum I know that many of you folks, that are much more knowledgeable about computers & software than I am, are not big fans of the Norton Products but I know what works for me. I have been using a Norton Product for Firewall/AV/Malware protection for more than 10 years and I have never had an infection and believe me when I say I surf with Reckless Abandon and I am on the net a lot. I also have Malwarebytes Pro and scan regularly just to be sure. I would not feel comfortable with Windows Defender and one of the free AV solutions but that's just my opinion and I don't mind paying for protection if it really works as long as the cost is reasonable especially when I see the grief some experience after an infection.:D

Great Thread

I just started this thread so people would start taking computer protection more seriously.

People can relate their experiences with whatever AV they are using.

A lot of shared knowledge like this helps everybody. :)

I'm glad Norton has protected your computer so well.

Getting a virus is no fun at all. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security

Great Thread

Hi gator2013,

I alos have tested Norton 360 and I can confirm your findings that it does, in fact, pass all 5 tests! However, I think it all boils down to one's personal choice based on their own surfing habits. Now, in my case, I had a choice to use either the Norton 360 full version (provided free of charge by my ISP) or the Avast Free 2014. My personal reasoning for choosing Avast free over Norton 360 was based on the following experiences:

The Norton 360 auto updates failed too often (without resolve at that time). Also, it included too many options that I didn't need or want. Specifically, it offers too many total maintenance options that have nothing to do with protection IMHO. Yes, they can all be turned off, but I must admit that I had a bit of trouble getting everything properly set. So, my preference, for a program that only provides AV protection, led me back to the Avast Free offering. And just like you, I have never been infected by malware. Now, don't get me wrong, Avast tries to sell you (or install) some similar maintenance functions (eg, grimefighter, etc) but they all can be denied during the installation process. In summary, Norton 360 is a great product and it works well in protecting your PC; however, just because one pays for protection does not guarantee they are getting any better protection than certain free offerings. In summary, everyone needs to exhibit due dilligence when choosing their protection scheme and part of that (IMHO) is running it through some independent testing.

Thanks for your feedback,

my2cents

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
I just started this thread so people would start taking computer protection more seriously.

Unfortunately most of the people out there who should be reading this information aren't viewing this forum.

I dare say that the bulk of the masses, set up their new computer, let whatever trial AV/Firewall subscription expire and sometime later get infected then come to a forum like this one for help.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
Hi gator2013,

The Norton 360 auto updates failed too often (without resolve at that time). Also, it included too many options that I didn't need or want. Specifically, it offers too many total maintenance options that have nothing to do with protection IMHO. Yes, they can all be turned off, but I must admit that I had a bit of trouble getting everything properly set.
my2cents

I agree with everything you have said especially the additional maintenance features with the Norton Products and they keep adding more. I guess I have such a strong familiarity with Norton Products especially Norton 360 and it has always worked for me and I have never had a failed auto update with Norton unless maybe their server was down. It's like "If it's not broke why try to fix it"

I should not bad-mouth freeware in general and I don't mean to because there is some good stuff available but if I think something is really good I don't mind paying for it but I never pay the full retail price. I'm a discount hound. I purchased Macrium, Revo Uninstaller Pro and Malwarebytes Pro for at least 50% off retail. I wear Google out searching for discount codes. :D But I also think that many PC users may not be well informed and go for free stuff without really knowing what they are getting and end up downloading something and find additional things they didn't expect on their devices like Conduit. Heaven Forbid.

I have nothing but positive comments about AVAST.

This is an awesome forum and I have learned a lot browsing through all the threads.

Best To You!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
I don't mind spending money either.
That's why I paid $19.99 for Avast. :)

I have Revo & Macrium too. {bought}

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
I don't mind spending money either.
That's why I paid $19.99 for Avast. :)

Now that's a great deal. Good Job!

Something I should look at considering my 360 subscription is coming up in about a month.

Which Avast package are you running? I just looked at their site and I think I would need the Avast Internet Security and for 2 computers.

Time to start looking for discount codes:D

PS: My family is out of Winchester

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360