Solved System Crashes When Under Load

Hi,

Thanks again for your response, and for confirming that UEFI and secure boot are now running ok.

I have had a play around with the USB drivers and downloaded the ones from the motherboards maker's site but these seem to offer lower performance in speeds than the latest Windows drivers, so I have removed the usb devices and am using the windows drivers at the moment and have not had a reoccurrence of the BSOD yet. I did notice yesterday that when looking through the logs in event viewer that it reported there is a controller issue with the Kingston Memory card reader, I have removed this device and the error message no longer shows up in there so I suspect it may have become faulty, I have swapped out the cable and tried in different ports etc but had no luck. Do you think that could possibly be the cause of the USB driver BSOD if the device was failing?

I've been in contact with Kingston regarding this and they advise that the card reader should be replaced, they advised that the firmware on their site for Windows 8 is also compatible with 8.1 but I am going to look into this further as the firmware was built prior to Windows 8.1 being released.

Do you know where I can obtain the latest LGBusEnum.sys driver from? I've downloaded the latest set point software from Logitech's website but the driver is still dated 2009..

Also do you recommend that I use the latest AMD Sata Controller driver? At the moment I am using the standard Windows Driver at the moment, I don't think there is any issue but I just wanted to check what you think is best to use?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Yes, defective devices can cause BSOD's.
In general, a defective device will cause a BSOD at any point - so the error code and the faulting driver will generally change a lot. I would suspect that an malfunction that occurs only during certain operations may lead to the symptoms that you describe - but this is only a guess on my part.

If Kingston has tested their drivers well, there may not be an issue with Win8.1 But you've gotta wonder why, if they did all that testing on the drivers, they just didn't update the file(s) in order to avoid misunderstandings?

I have seen lot's of problems with obtaining more recent Logitech drivers.
If you have the latest drivers from the website and they say that they are 8.1 compatible - then that's the best that you can do. The only other option is to uninstall the Logitech software/drivers.

My theory about drivers is fairly simple - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
I update everything when I go to a new OS - but then I leave it alone unless there's a reason to update it.
In the case of 8.1 - even after updating all drivers I still wasn't able to update to it.
It took several months for me to finally get it installed - and I don't actually know what "fixed" it.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Came with the laptop (i7 of some sort)
    Motherboard
    Pretty sure that it has one, but haven't checked inside the case!
    Memory
    upgraded to 12 gB from 8 gB
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    I'm nearly deaf, so this isn't used often
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    - Switched to 500 gB Samsung 840 series SSD - WOW!!!
    PSU
    Why do we ask this for laptops?
    Case
    Silver with a neat Samsung logo
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    too slow when I'm waiting for a download to finish
    Browser
    Yes, I use this (Firefox mostly, w/IE next most)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
    Other Info
    I'm handsome and a snappy dresser :0)
Hi,

Thanks for your response,

I replaced the Kingston card reader and the error still remains regarding that the driver has detected an error on the controller. I guess this must just be a compatibility fault between the reader and Windows 8.1

I am also seeing a few ACPI errors stating that the motherboard BIOS is not compatible with this feature, I am also seeing errors regarding that the computer did not shut down cleanly. I have noticed today that when I select the shutdown option from the menu on Windows 8.1 the system appears to power off however, when I power it on again it appears that it did not shutdown completely as I was running it for around 5 hours last night I booted it up this morning and the uptime of the system shows 18 hours.

I have made a shutdown shortcut and if I use this then the system shuts down completely. Do you have any ideas as to what could be causing this issue?

My Computer

Hi,

I've fixed the issue of the PC not shutting down correctly it appeared to hibernate each time it was shutdown I've now disabled that and the system seems to be shutting down completely.

My Computer

Let's have a look at a new set of reports: http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-cra...e-screen-death-bsod-posting-instructions.html Please use Option 1 as it provides Event Viewer logs.

Also,
Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog))
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    has switchable - Intel/ATI - Used wrong drivers, now ATI card is inop :( Will have to fix it soon!
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Touchscreen on laptop/32" Toshiba on HDMI (laid the Sharp TV on a mouse and cracked the screen!)
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    One Samsung 1tB drive - 5400 rpm. Gonna switch to a 7200/10000 rpm or an SSD (if I can find $500 for a 1tB SSD!)
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    sub-par, gotta get around to working on it soon Worked on it - still sub-par! :(
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural - the same one I've used since it orignally came out around 1995
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hi,

Thanks again for your response,

Attached are the reports / logs as requested.

Thanks again for your continued help.

My Computer

For some reason there are only 13 events in your Admin log (starting at 7:02am on 4/9/2014 Did you use some sort of cleaner around that time?

The latest errors show problems with the BIOS and suggest checking for a BIOS update (but you've updated to the latest version already).
Make sure that you have all suggested updates - both Windows Updates and Asus updates (using the Asus Live Update tool)
If that doesn't fix things, then I'd have to wonder if there's a problem with the motherboard.

Just a thought - some BIOS's used to have a "Fail Safe" setting. I wonder if your UEFI has such a setting, and if switching to it would help? Also, how about trying to disable all the power saving stuff in the UEFI to see if that helps?

Is the motherboard still under warranty? If so, I'd suggest requesting an RMA. If not, then there are some difficult choices to be made - as the only sure-fire "test" for a bad mobo is to try another mobo (and that's expensive and time-consuming).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hi,

Thanks again for your response,

The system seems to be working ok apart from that warning regarding the ACPI BIOS. I guess I could contact Asus and ask if they have any ideas on what I could do. I don't really want to take the system apart again as I've only just got it stable many thanks to your help.

There is a ReadyBoot error also in the logs, can this be ignored as well? As that is what I've read on the internet.

I did use a cleaner tool to remove the old event logs, but the ones I uploaded were the same as what were being reported before.

Aside from the issue above does the system look in good order?

Many thanks again.

My Computer

Are you using ReadyBoost? If not, then I'd suggest ignoring it.

The system looks fine to me. If you have no issues with it, then stay with what you've got.

IMO error messages are only needed if you're having problems. If there are no problems, then you don't even need to be looking at them. I'd leave well-enough alone if you're happy with the system now. Keep an eye out for further updates from Asus, maybe even start a support ticket with them (if the mobo is still under warranty) just to see what happens.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Are you using ReadyBoost? If not, then I'd suggest ignoring it.

The system looks fine to me. If you have no issues with it, then stay with what you've got.

IMO error messages are only needed if you're having problems. If there are no problems, then you don't even need to be looking at them. I'd leave well-enough alone if you're happy with the system now. Keep an eye out for further updates from Asus, maybe even start a support ticket with them (if the mobo is still under warranty) just to see what happens.

Good luck!

Thanks again usasma,

I've just taken a look online and found the below link to the ACPI settings within the BIOS and I have currently disabled all power state management so I guess this could be why Windows is reporting ACPI error messages because its not enabled in the BIOS.

Link below for anyone else who may be having ACPI error messages in event viewer on the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mobo.

Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 User Manual (Page 88 of 180)

My Computer

Nice work! Thanks for letting us know!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1Pro - Finally!!!
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung/NP780
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    800x600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    no Mouse - Trackball!!!!
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back