Study says: Windows 8 users rarely touch Metro apps

Soluto’s report digs into how often people really use those apps on a daily basis.

The news isn’t wonderful. Of the 10,848 Windows 8 devices studied by Soluto, the majority of traditional desktop and laptop users—even ones using a device with a touchscreen—fail to open a modern-style app daily. (Note that this study refers only to modern apps, not to traditional desktop programs.) Even on tablets, the devices best suited for Windows 8’s modern UI, just 56 percent of all users launch a Windows 8 app day in and day out.

Source

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit
The problem with Windows 8 (original version) was that it certainly WASN'T a first class piece of workmanship. The modifications in the 8.1 version appear to have fixed the main problems with the original version.

Its good we agree on Titanic's materials and it state-of-the-art design. As an engineer I'm sure you know it was a classic build for its day. The sheer size, compartmentalization of its hull, first class accommodations, radio technology, electrical circuitry, and the like we're all leading edge tech. Creative ingenuity, engineering, planning, and building of it was a great feat. Just the hours of thought that went into it had to be astronomical.

Was it perfect? Obviously not. Its sank, although its sister ships survived. As in one of Murphy's laws > If anything can go wrong, it will. But, they were a first class act. I just so happen to think it was human error that brought Titanic down.

Same way with 8. Much creative ingenuity, engineering, planning, and code writing went into it. Just like the transition from MS-DOS to a graphical UI as in 95, 8 is a transition into a touch centric UI era. Is it perfect? No, but a classic first attempt at a new way of computing IMO.

I agree with the hints of change we're seeing in 8.1. It will certainly give people more options.

However in the case of the titanic - modifying the "Unsinkable bulkheads" as was done for the other two ships in the series --wouldn't necessarily have saved the titanic either -- there's still huge speculation about that but the length of the gash in the side of the ship probably would have been fatal whatever system was in place. The Titanic was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Cheers
jimbo

I don't believe in luck myself. I believe in doing and trying to do the best thing. They were pushing the envelope with Titanic. It seems they were trying to break the record time. "Full speed ahead" for a good maiden voyage and a good ad campaign. They were in the wrong place going too fast at the wrong time IMO. It was dark night. And to go further south out of harm's way would have put more miles therefore more time onto the voyage. Big mistake IMO. Like a lot that we see, it was all about the money and not people's safety. To me such things should actually be a crime.

I think MS to be on the right course with good timing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Who knows if Soluto's user base, which they based their 'findings' on, is anything like a meaningful pool of real users?
I don't know if even Microsoft has yet learned that its user experience program members are not representative of the whole world!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD
    Memory
    4Gb
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024