Study says: Windows 8 users rarely touch Metro apps

Soluto’s report digs into how often people really use those apps on a daily basis.

The news isn’t wonderful. Of the 10,848 Windows 8 devices studied by Soluto, the majority of traditional desktop and laptop users—even ones using a device with a touchscreen—fail to open a modern-style app daily. (Note that this study refers only to modern apps, not to traditional desktop programs.) Even on tablets, the devices best suited for Windows 8’s modern UI, just 56 percent of all users launch a Windows 8 app day in and day out.

Source

A Guy

Who are "most people". There are over 7 Billion people in this world so someone has checked over 3.5 Billion people to backup their claims. I don't think so.

Jim :cool:
I can't speak for others, but from my experience almost all people I've conversed with on windows 8 are indifferent with the changes. They will use whatever that's preinstalled on their PC when they bought it, including all the crapware.

Admittedly, they also tend to stay in the desktop mode because that's what they are familiar with. Most haven't even noticed the start menu is gone because they never used it in previous versions of windows. They just have icons on their desktop.

I speak from my personal experience with people. And I know a wild variety of people. Now it is entirely possible that the people I know and interact with do not represent the normal PC user.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Indeed.

Most people I know irl are using macs. They are not interested in anything to do with windows , as far as I can tell. I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that represents computer users as a whole.

I know only 3 who had an 8 machine ( slight acquaintances ), all 3 loathed it and got rid of it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Who are "most people". There are over 7 Billion people in this world so someone has checked over 3.5 Billion people to backup their claims. I don't think so.

I can't speak for others, but from my experience almost all people I've conversed with on windows 8 are indifferent with the changes. They will use whatever that's preinstalled on their PC when they bought it, including all the crapware.

Admittedly, they also tend to stay in the desktop mode because that's what they are familiar with. Most haven't even noticed the start menu is gone because they never used it in previous versions of windows. They just have icons on their desktop.

I speak from my personal experience with people. And I know a wild variety of people. Now it is entirely possible that the people I know and interact with do not represent the normal PC user.

I can accept "most people I know" or "most people I conversed with" as that is legitimate. Some on here just say "most people" which infers the whole world.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
Today I read "Users tell Microsoft, keep your Windows 8 Metro apps, we don't want them".

I have never told Microsoft anything like that. In fact, I have told everybody who wants to listen how much I like Windows 8 and how I already have quite a bunch Windows Apps I feel I couldn't survive without, how the flexible and easy to use Start Screen and well working Windows Apps are one of the main reasons I like the Eight.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.

I can accept "most people I know" or "most people I conversed with" as that is legitimate. Some on here just say "most people" which infers the whole world.

You never took philosophy or debated in the philosophy club in college did you?

The number 1 rule in a debate or discussion setting is if someone's statement can be interpreted several ways, always always always always give them the benefit of a doubt and assume the most intelligent, most logical interpretation of their words.

I don't claim to know most people in the world in a literal sense. I'm assuming nobody in the world knows most people in the world in the literal sense either. So, when people say "most people", always always always always assume they are speaking of most people they know.

What I do claim is that I know a wide variety of people, from the tech illiterate to power users to professional developers. All tech illiterates *I know* are indifferent about the UI change, given that they spend most of their time in the desktop environment. The power users and the professional programmers *I know* are split between liking windows 8 and hating it. The power users and professional programmers *I know* make up a tiny portion of the PC users. That is why I've been saying most users *I know* are indifferent about the UI changes.

I am also using this experience that I have to infer that the people I know and know of are a representative sample of the wider world abroad.

Now, here is a statement of fact. We do know for a fact that with any product out there, most owners do not post reviews or comments about it. People who hate it are a lot more likely to post comments and write reviews than the people who are either indifferent or people who like the product.

Take a step back and think about yourself. I'm willing to bet most things you possess you've never thought to go online and write about them. Why? Because you are either indifferent about the quality or you like them. Now, if you were to have a tv that keeps crapping out on you, then wouldn't you feel angry about it? You are going to want to tell people about this issue with the tv. You're going to *gasp* want to go online and write a nasty review for it. Some people go as far as signing up to a dozen different forums and exaggerate their negative experiences.

About two years ago, the market started getting saturated by iOS and android tablets. And about a year ago, people's homes started getting saturated with these devices. That was when PC sales had a nose dive early last year. This *lack* of sales have been consistent ever since, even after windows 8 came out.

My interpretation of this fact is it's not windows 8 that's responsible for the low sales. It's the fact that people's homes have been saturated by iOS and android devices. And they usually have 1 or 2 windows 7 PC's. Why upgrade to windows 8 if windows 7 works just fine?

My sister is a mathematician. Her husband is a phd engineer. They've been working in the mechanical engineering industry for decades. They are considering taking up teaching positions at some university out west. They told me that pretty soon they will be in the market for windows 8 hybrids. But for now, they are quite happy with their 2 windows 7 devices and 10 android devices. I believe they represent the typical American attitude toward system upgrades.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I did take a philosophy course in college and took debate class in High school. I don't assume what people mean, but read what they say in context to the point they are making. Using expressions that mislead the reader demeans the writer and I then question their motives. News headlines are used to draw the reader in and when you read the article its has a whole different meaning. Some on here (not you) use this technique to booster their argument. I agree with you that Windows 8 is not the downfall of civilization as some want us to think and its not the holy grail either. I try to avoid most of those threads as its mostly a flame war after the first few posts.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Epson V300 Scanner
I did take a philosophy course in college and took debate class in High school. I don't assume what people mean, but read what they say in context to the point they are making. Using expressions that mislead the reader demeans the writer and I then question their motives. News headlines are used to draw the reader in and when you read the article its has a whole different meaning. Some on here (not you) use this technique to booster their argument. I agree with you that Windows 8 is not the downfall of civilization as some want us to think and its not the holy grail either. I try to avoid most of those threads as its mostly a flame war after the first few posts.

Well, that, too. But honestly, when someone says "most people", are we to believe they literally know most people in the world? I think not. This is one of those things where you have to read them beyond the context.

This is why sometimes I can't stand politics. Politicians purposefully misinterpret each other's words all the time. Take the infamous Obama's line "I believe in redistribution", for example. Or when he said "you didn't build that" when talking about the infrastructure that supported the businesses.

Yeah, I have a thing for people assuming the worst in other people's words.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Most people believe "say what you mean and mean what you say". :doh:

Had to do it. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Epson V300 Scanner
Also, the suspended app tiles please my eyes more and give more information than the title bar of a browser tab; I mean with 25 tabs open with normal resolution displays you might not even to be able to read what the tab is. Here's for instance IE10 on 1920 pixels wide display showing 25 tabs. You need to guess to get the correct page, not very much information available there:
Firefox does this much better though. You can get a list of tabs with all their names listed vertically so you can read their full names. I'm surprised a similar option isn't tucked away in IE.
In fact there are no BBC apps so pointless conversation.

Nice to finally get some experts here!Keenly waiting for you to share your wisdom and expertise more with us.
There are many apps with the word "BBC" in their title. I have yet to find one which is actually published by the BBC; the ones I've found all seem to be published by 3rd parties.

I'm not even sure if the Windows Store search is capable of searching for apps from a particular publisher?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
For me it's completely irrelevant if the BBC world News App I use is published by BBC or not, as far as it shows the contents of BBC World News website as the apps available do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
What really is the point of a metro app? I get more content and a much better overall experience if I just open up the web page. ?Plus, when I open up a browser, I don't have to go to the task manager to kill the metro apps off.

Yeah, I have a major problem with having to use the task manager to kill off an app. Sure, I can move them out of site but they are still running in the background. Even my Note 2 has a easy way of just holding one button down to close everything that I have had open and it does a much better job of handling apps than Microsoft/metro.

Metro games on my laptop? The metro Mail compared to Outlook 2013? It's all totally pointless

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, 2012, 7, 2008R2, 2008, 2003, XP,SUSE
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 640M 2 GB
    Screen Resolution
    1600X900
    Hard Drives
    Pair of 750 GB
Yeah, I have a major problem with having to use the task manager to kill off an app.
So use Alt-F4? Or move the mouse to the top of the screen, left-click (holding the mouse button down) and drag it downwards.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
So use Alt-F4?

That brings back the memories. The good old days of DOS. And if it is choice between that and using your mouse in a complicated procedure to emulate a finger, what is the point of the Phone GUI for a desktop?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s
    Memory
    16.0GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2711 and 2407WFP
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 and 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    3 x SSD
    Mix of 2, 3 and 4 TB Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX1050
    Case
    Lian Li Diamond Series PC-Z70 Full Tower, Black
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    20mbs
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast Free and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    Other Info
    Win 8.1.1 and Office 2013 via Virtualbox
I have an average of 25 pages open on my browser at one time. Having to use 25 apps would be a complete waste of time.
What an odd statement.

I can see no difference in clicking a tab to select it in order to view it, or selecting an app and switching to it from the suspended apps list.Visually my method pleases my eye more, 2tabs" showing only when I want to.

Oh, BTW, that's not true what I said above about there being no difference. Of course there's a huge difference: Whereas each and everyone of your 25 opened tabs eats resources and CPU capacity all the time, my suspended apps open as fast as you click a new tab but they are not using CPU at all while suspended.Also, the suspended app tiles please my eyes more and give more information than the title bar of a browser tab; I mean with 25 tabs open with normal resolution displays you might not even to be able to read what the tab is. Here's for instance IE10 on 1920 pixels wide display showing 25 tabs. You need to guess to get the correct page, not very much information available there:

Kari

Hi there
There's a HUGE difference -- particularly if you need to COMPARE data / whatever from different web sites etc or copy data from web sites say into spread sheets etc.

There are (not you but a lot here) who just can't seem to get it through their thick nozzles that passes for a brain a lot of people BY NECESSITY need multi windows open concurrently - preferably re-sizeable - and a load of thumbnails / icons at the side of the screen doesn't in any way work as an alternative.

Then what about a load of developers -- say you are debugging an application -- I'm quite sure you'd like to have the debug code / whatever in a separate window so you can insert breakpoints and then inspect variables etc. - Horrendously hideous to do if you can only work in single windows.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Seems I belong to minority here, too :).

Native Windows 8 Apps I use daily:
  • Mail
  • Calendar
  • Messaging
  • Weather
  • News
  • IE
Third party Windows Apps I use daily:
  • FilmOn (UK TV)
  • TuneIn (Global radio)
  • BBC World News
  • BBC Tech News
  • CNN
  • Ilta-sanomat (news from Finland)
  • Tom's Harware (tech news)
  • Wikipedia
  • Google

Me too then.
Your list is bigger though but nevertheless, I appreciate the full-screen and fast switching between apps and desktop.

I got a Metro file explorer that I use, the music app, Jetpack Joyride and some unit converters. Pretty good stuff.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Seems to me, as a non 8 user, that you have the choice of both, so use what suits you, no? A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Seems to me, as a non 8 user, that you have the choice of both, so use what suits you, no? A Guy

Totally right. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
It is all about choice. I have 8 on a VM and 7 as the main desktop. The good thing about Windows is there are usually several different ways to configure your PC to how you like it. Some like the desktop, some like the Start Screen and new apps. Some like both. It is your machine and you choose. This way or that way is not best or worst it is how the user likes to use it that matters.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64 Bit and VM
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built (Saberkitty)
    CPU
    AMD FX-8350 Vishera 32nm Technology @ 4.1 GHz default
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (Socket 942)
    Memory
    G Skill F3-2400-8GZM
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Super SC ACX 2.0+ with Back Plate GDDR5 128bit, PCI-E 3.0
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium HD Audiophile PCIe
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG L227WTG x 3
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    238GB TOSHIBA THNSNJ256GCST SATA Disk Device (SSD)
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DM 001-1CH164 (SATA)
    1397GB Seagate ST1500DL 003-9VT16L(SATA)
    466GB Western Digital WDC WD50 03AZEX-00K1GA0 (SATA) x 2
    932GB Seagate ST310005 28AS SATA Disk Device (SATA)
    PSU
    Enermax Revolution87+ 1000 Watts Gold Certified Power Supply
    Case
    Rocketfish Full Tower
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212 with push pull fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech K740
    Mouse
    Logitech Laser
    Internet Speed
    Fibre Cable 100 down 30 up.
    Browser
    IE 10 Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast, MSE and common sense
    Other Info
    3 x LG L227WTG @ 1680 x 1050 16:10 monitors.
    Using Mouse Without Borders (Google it)
I use windows 8 for both desktop and metro. Love both. I don't understand why some people on here hate choice so much. If they don't like metro, there are a few simple things they can do that will hide the start screen forever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Back