Some food for though about the Windows 8 tablets.

SIW2, just curious, how do you guys do business documents, seems strange if you do it in pdf (portable document format)(Adobe Acrobat) most people 97.999% use Microsoft Word (Office). Let me also ask you, does your company use Microsoft Windows, or are they a Linux shop? If even that. Every Linux shop I've been in uses Open Office. (Microsoft Office compatible). Adobe Acrobat is archaic in how it handles documents. Of course this is only my opinion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Internally, at my office, we use Microsoft Office. All of the files in our office are of the .doc file format. Even our 2010 installs default to .doc.

However, when putting together any documentation that I sent offsite, I almost always File > Print > and output a .PDF file that I send. In the case of my resume, as it was done in Open Office, and I wasn't sure of anybodies ability to read it, I saved it too as a .pdf so that compatibility wasn't an issue.

And nearly every manual, or white paper or anything else that I download from the web is presented in a .pdf format. This always ensures that people can read it as intended without any reliance on the word processor used to create it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
pparks1, SEE that is NOT true. If you get an email that has a .doc extension, and don't have MSO, Windows will open it in "WordPad"
albeit you will lose some of the formatting, but you would be able to read it. Editing is another story, Wordpad is good, BUT doesn't have all the bells and whistles of MSO Word.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
But why take a chance with the way that "it might" look on WordPad.? I can save as .PDF and it will look exactly the same, if you are on a PC, Mac, Windows, Linux or other device that sports a PDF viewer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I use Windows.

Just about everybody else in the creative industries uses Apple.

I don't know what they use for their backroom work - but they never send me anything created by MS Office.

The only business documents I get are quite small , scripts ( if they are emailing them- it will be just a few sides - always in pdf. If it is an entire script, they will usually post it.) , statements from my agents, and contracts.

I have no use for MS Office at all. I don't even have it installed.

SIW2, just curious, how do you guys do business documents, seems strange if you do it in pdf (portable document format)(Adobe Acrobat) most people 97.999% use Microsoft Word (Office). Let me also ask you, does your company use Microsoft Windows, or are they a Linux shop? If even that. Every Linux shop I've been in uses Open Office. (Microsoft Office compatible). Adobe Acrobat is archaic in how it handles documents. Of course this is only my opinion.

save as .PDF and it will look exactly the same, if you are on a PC, Mac, Windows, Linux or other device that sports a PDF viewer.

PP - I guess that is why I usually pdfs - doesn't matter who they send it to - the recipient will always be able to use it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
@Mike - Probably is - MS make a fortune from it.

@PP,

That makes a lot of sense. I hadn't given it much thought before. Although almost everyone uses Apple - there might be a few who are on the go with a nexus, or an htc thing .

Nigh on impossible to spot a Windows user. I did know two - but they both switched to Apple last year.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
And of course to Apple's Microsoft Office as well. Apple Works Office Suite STINKS! Feels like you are in an old version of WordPerfect Suite.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I don't know though, but I would bet a price starting at 600-1,000 dollars as it would be competitive with other OEM offerings. There are USB 3 ports on the Pro version, which is all that matters. :)
I thought that the RT version was going to be in the $600 range. This would mean that the non-RT version would carry a heavier price tag. So, $1,000+ could easily be reality.

I was under the impression RT would be in ipad territory $500 or more, and Pro would be more aimed at the luxury/ultrabook end -$800 and up.
Yeah, that's what I have heard. I would hope for the non RT closer to that $800 end..but fear that it could also exceed $1000 too. Time will tell on that.

They won't have to. The mini iPad is going to be like $350

This is happening in a lot of places, not only in the schools, but also in some businesses as well. My company evaluated dropping Microsoft Exchange and Office and moving to Google gmail and docs.
Many schools abandon Microsoft Office for Google Apps to save money; Google Docs added 100 new features in 2011 | 9to5Google | Beyond Good and Evil

The hardest part is really the interoperability betwen the 2 systems. Trying to get perfect translations between the two is the hard part. But if the actual file formats aren't necessary to be exchanged, and electronic formats become more the norm, this may become less of an issue than it is today. I know for my last few jobs, the resume has been formatted and submitted not as a .docs or .odt file, but rather a PDF.

True, but extremely collaborative. Many accuse MS Office of having feature bloat, or more features than anybody knows what to do with. Every new version of Office results in people who have old versions like 2003, trying to figure out why they might need 2007/2010/2012 as they don't take advantage of a fraction of the features they have. Perhaps the world is ready to give up on the sheer number of features, in leui of better prices, lower cost of ownership, team collaboration and access from a variety of devices including PC's, Mac, smartphones, tablets, etc.

But in the long run, potentially TWELVE YEARS of no Office usage for a young student means that when they try to land a white collar job, they don't have basic knowledge of Office, which is pretty much the requirement for employment is that knowledge.
But an educated student, with experience with one product, won't require very much time to get to the basic features of any Office application.

I think the university mentioned in the video is doing a good thing, they're preparing their students to use what the latest tools of the trade are.
This will make you cringe, but my brother in law attended Stanford University and earned a 4 year degree before going onto graduate school and earning an MBA. He has lived and worked in California, Switzerland, London, Sydney, Ethiopia, Paris and now Sydney again. While he was at Stanford, it was pretty much the norm and recommendation to use a Mac. He expressed concerns that trying to use a PC would have made things harder for him and less compatible with the faculty, labs, etc. He used a Mac all through his Bachelors and MBA program. And he has used a Mac at every job he has had. And Stanford actually recommends the Mac over the PC to students to this day, right on their website;
Should I buy a Mac or a PC? Should I buy a laptop or a desktop? | Stanford Answers.

google docs is collaborative, yes. But Office 2010 can be used with SkyDrive, and Office 2013 is simply collaborative. The cost is a genuine concern, but I wonder if some places could do virtualized Office apps to save costs.... Even still, the new Office Web Apps blow up google docs, just BOMB! It's not feature overloaded, it's not feature anorexic. For many a user, I would bet it would be greatly fantastic. And yeah, I guess maybe an educated student can figure it out, but have you seen what happens when you take a dropdown menu user and move them to the Ribbon? It's not fun. Theoretically, that person can figure it out, but shouldn't they already had that basic knowledge?

And ew, mac. People still use those?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I use Windows.

Just about everybody else in the creative industries uses Apple.

I don't know what they use for their backroom work - but they never send me anything created by MS Office.

The only business documents I get are quite small , scripts ( if they are emailing them- it will be just a few sides - always in pdf. If it is an entire script, they will usually post it.) , statements from my agents, and contracts.

I have no use for MS Office at all. I don't even have it installed.

save as .PDF and it will look exactly the same, if you are on a PC, Mac, Windows, Linux or other device that sports a PDF viewer.

PP - I guess that is why I usually pdfs - doesn't matter who they send it to - the recipient will always be able to use it.

I've never really understood why the creative bunch use macs? Never got it. Maybe it's the design I suppose.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
You might say that Cokie - and I see you have their interests at heart.

However, one might take the opposite view.

Is it right that the taxpayer\Education system should be paying to educate their students in a way that perpetuates a monopoly ?

Something not right about that picture.

Perhaps if all schools used alternatives , that would open up the market and change the reliance on one proprietary piece of software.

Tbh , I hadn't thought about it before.

I do recall Eben saying that school It classes are about teaching students how to use Office. That is not It - it is a replacement for what used to be called typing classes.

New Formula Coke Robot

LOL.

Well, interesting take on that. But shouldn't the education system teach how to use the monopoly's products? There are college classes DEDICATED for Photoshop, as it is the standard of photo editing. In the automotive world, Mitchell is the industry standard for filling out the repair and insurance forms needed. I think the education system should teach how to use what is the industry standard regardless. If you don't have that knowledge, your pooch is screwed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Another good thread you started, Cokie. Thanks for the article/video lead. Interesting. :)

Oh my Lord.

You are like one of those zealots on street corners preaching about the second coming.

I have no doubt they mean well.

Don't you think they turn people off as a rule?

Or maybe we should turn this Forum into a pure advertising space dedicated to MS. ;)

Glad you added the wink. Although not affiliated with M$ (Read the forum disclaimer statement) is it not a kind of advert for M$ and 8 do to the name of the forum? BTW, I'm not sure who stated this (although Mohammed Ali comes to mind), but someone stated that negative advert is still advert. So, thanks! ;)

@ phailyoor

TRWTF is that this school is charging a higher tuition so that it can but overpriced electronics for everyone. If I went there, I would rather get a discount and the ability to buy whatever I want. Also, they're college students with short attention spans. If you gave everyone in a room an iPad, or a Nexus 7, I think the exact same thing would happen.

Most likely the tuition is higher their since it's a private Catholic university founded in 1856. I'd be careful what I'd say about the students there. Pasting from their Fast Fact page on freshman profile: fast_facts - Seton Hall University, New Jersey

◾Unweighted GPA average: 3.4
◾SAT average (CR&M): 1100
◾ACT average: 24

I would think they have a pretty high standard to be able to enroll there. I'm quite sure they have good attention spans to be able to get those scores. I was raised Catholic so I know theirs plenty of $. You'll notice some info on $ on the fact page. Also, I'm quite sure the faculty did a study on which device to choose. ;) I don't think they're brain-burn was a factor.

@ PParks

The MS surface tablet is the first tablet I am genuinely interested in. The reason being, it's not really a glorified smart phone (that doesn't make calls) and is more or less a real computer that can run real applications (meaning...the applications that I am used to running and would want to run, not Metro apps from the Microsoft store).

The issue I am going to have is going to be sticker shock at the price. If the not Windows 8 RT version (which really is the glorified smartphone that I don't want), of this surface tablet approaches the $1,000+ price point, I would be quite hesitant to outlay the cash over a laptop which would offer additional functionality like eSata ports, optical drives, docking stations, etc.

I think I've mentioned this in another thread, but do I detect a tinge of you warming up to 8? I too have my eye on the Surface Pro with the same concern as you with peripherals. I'm in need of something mobile and think that a pad is just an overgrown phone of which I already have. I'm thinking and hoping that M$ will introduce the Surface at a low introductory price. The iPads (which I believe M$ is targeting against) at Best buy presently start at $500 and up to $830 depending on options and service carriers. I'm guessing the intro price to be around $700 for the Surface Pro, possibly $600. $400 to $500 for RT. After that the Pro may gat to be as high as a $grand. Let's remember that this is M$'s introductory device of their hardware attempt, so even if they break even or perhaps lose a little money they'll be satisfied. Getting it out there and people "showing it off" will be of much help.

I think the combo of touch and keyboard will be the craze. Touch to me is such a faster means of navigating while the keyboard being a quicker way to enter data.

I'm not even going to touch on the monopoly (Reaganonimics) topic! :mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
google docs is collaborative, yes. But Office 2010 can be used with SkyDrive, and Office 2013 is simply collaborative.
But Skydrive is lacking substantially in a couple of areas. For example, if you (or somebody else) accidentally deletes that collaborative file you are working on...it's gone. And that's because Skydrive doesn't have an undelete feature. :shock:

Even still, the new Office Web Apps blow up google docs, just BOMB! It's not feature overloaded, it's not feature anorexic. For many a user, I would bet it would be greatly fantastic.
The new web apps are nice. But from what I have noticed, it doesn't seem like a ton of people even know that these web apps exist. I think MS really needs to get going on this front and pound the concept into people that these applications are available and free to use.

And ew, mac. People still use those?
Yes, their market share is only growing, it's not on the decline. I don't use one personally, almost exclusively because of cost. They used to be almost exclusively used for publishing and such, but even in the corporate world they are becoming more and more common....possibly due to size and build quality.

I think I've mentioned this in another thread, but do I detect a tinge of you warming up to 8?
You may have misunderstood me at the start. I've never been completely against Windows 8, but I don't see the value in Metro and I don't see the point of not having a start menu on the desktop. (And while you can, through 3rd party get rid of all of that, it makes me wonder why you would be on 8 in the first place and not just stay with 7) My stance has always been that I don't see the value in upgrading any of my current machines to Windows 8...either at home or at work. Even at a mere $40, I don't think the spend is worth it. I would still suggest to most home users, that if they are not having problems with Windows 7, they may very well not want to upgrade to 8.

Let's remember that this is M$'s introductory device of their hardware attempt, so even if they break even or perhaps lose a little money they'll be satisfied. Getting it out there and people "showing it off" will be of much help.
Absolutely, they need marketshare more than anything else. Time will tell as to whether people showing it off will garner praise, or if it will be scoffed at as just another Windows box with the same problems that have plagued Windows for years.

I think the combo of touch and keyboard will be the craze. Touch to me is such a faster means of navigating while the keyboard being a quicker way to enter data.
Without a keyboard, entering data is just flat out awful. At least for me. There is a reason that I only read stuff on the web on my tablet. I hardly ever type a response on the thing. I always put down the tablet and grab my laptop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
pparks1 said:
But Skydrive is lacking substantially in a couple of areas. For example, if you (or somebody else) accidentally deletes that collaborative file you are working on...it's gone. And that's because Skydrive doesn't have an undelete feature. :shock:

DropBox keeps a revision history of each document. But I am not sure about undeleting files. I don't get much space on DropBox, but it is a truly collaborative tool.

Edit: DropBox keeps deleted files for 30 days.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" touch screen w/ digitizer & Asus 27" external monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 Touchpad & Microsoft Touch Mouse
Dropbox is what I use as well. They have a 30 day recovery option for deleted files. If you are a paid customer and have the Pack Rat option enabled, you get document recovery forever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
google docs is collaborative, yes. But Office 2010 can be used with SkyDrive, and Office 2013 is simply collaborative.

Even still, the new Office Web Apps blow up google docs, just BOMB! It's not feature overloaded, it's not feature anorexic. For many a user, I would bet it would be greatly fantastic.
The new web apps are nice. But from what I have noticed, it doesn't seem like a ton of people even know that these web apps exist. I think MS really needs to get going on this front and pound the concept into people that these applications are available and free to use.

Yes, their market share is only growing, it's not on the decline. I don't use one personally, almost exclusively because of cost. They used to be almost exclusively used for publishing and such, but even in the corporate world they are becoming more and more common....possibly due to size and build quality.

You may have misunderstood me at the start. I've never been completely against Windows 8, but I don't see the value in Metro and I don't see the point of not having a start menu on the desktop. (And while you can, through 3rd party get rid of all of that, it makes me wonder why you would be on 8 in the first place and not just stay with 7) My stance has always been that I don't see the value in upgrading any of my current machines to Windows 8...either at home or at work. Even at a mere $40, I don't think the spend is worth it. I would still suggest to most home users, that if they are not having problems with Windows 7, they may very well not want to upgrade to 8.

Let's remember that this is M$'s introductory device of their hardware attempt, so even if they break even or perhaps lose a little money they'll be satisfied. Getting it out there and people "showing it off" will be of much help.
Absolutely, they need marketshare more than anything else. Time will tell as to whether people showing it off will garner praise, or if it will be scoffed at as just another Windows box with the same problems that have plagued Windows for years.

Without a keyboard, entering data is just flat out awful. At least for me. There is a reason that I only read stuff on the web on my tablet. I hardly ever type a response on the thing. I always put down the tablet and grab my laptop.

Yeah, SkyDrive has some things missing. Personally, I'd love to be able to stream a whole music album to my phone without tediously picking them from SkyDrive. But, I would imagine that SkyDrive is being redesigned as well since Microsoft is just revamping their ENTIRE lineup from the Windows platform and its software, to the Windows Phone lineup, to the Xbox and all the way to their online division. I would expect more changes soon. But as for undeleting a collaborative file, well poop, you should had a better backup system! :D There's even a dialog box asking you if you are sure! You should be sure! But that's concerning, if you can undelete a file on a cloud server, that means that cloud server could theoretically keep that document for longer than you would had ever wanted, not so reassuring for the cloud-shy among us. And yes, I think Microsoft needs to pound the ground and make their stake and mark that there are free Web Apps that are WAY better than google's.

Now, if the corporate environment would have the resource to waste for over the top hardware at a ridiculous cost and a UI that is far different than Windows, I don't get why they couldn't just as well invest in good quality PCs (they are out there and pretty much the mainstream) and even install Windows 8 on them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Touch is the new mouse, but the keyboard is forever. Why do you suppose there is a new touch keyboard in Windows 8? Keyboard won't be gone until a LONG, LONG, LONG time. Touch is the new input.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Yeah, SkyDrive has some things missing. Personally, I'd love to be able to stream a whole music album to my phone without tediously picking them from SkyDrive. But, I would imagine that SkyDrive is being redesigned as well since Microsoft is just revamping their ENTIRE lineup from the Windows platform and its software, to the Windows Phone lineup, to the Xbox and all the way to their online division. I would expect more changes soon.
The issue is that for some of us, we want to commit to something now and get going....rather than waiting for what might come down the line. And once a fair amount of time and effort has been put into something else, i'm less inclined to just jump ship onto the newest thing. I actually use and rely on a lot of this technology, i don't just jump from thing, to thing, to thing.

But as for undeleting a collaborative file, well poop, you should had a better backup system! :D There's even a dialog box asking you if you are sure! You should be sure!
Remember that a collaborate file is used by other people as well. Perhaps I'm sure, but somebody else isn't as smart. Maybe they picked the wrong file by accident. Perhaps they were sure that they wanted the file deleted, but didn't realize they picked this years file instead of last years file. Pretty much every other cloud storage provider has a recovery feature and SkyDrive does not. There really isn't the need for your own personal backup system with the other vendors, just SkyDrive.

But that's concerning, if you can undelete a file on a cloud server, that means that cloud server could theoretically keep that document for longer than you would had ever wanted, not so reassuring for the cloud-shy among us.
Yes, the cloud shy won't like this. No way around it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
i use the iPad a lot, and have the latest model maxed out with memory and AT&T LTE. I really don't like Apple. Right now the iPad is the only real contender on the tablet market IMHO. But I'm NOT satisfied. I LOVE the Surface with it's integrated keyboard on the cover. But until we really see one, it's just vaporware.

Right now I have the Samsung Series 7 Slate, which I've touted numerous times on this forum. But the iPad still gets most of my use. Why? Because there really aren't that many apps I can put on the Slate that hold a candle to the apps on the iPad. And the Slate doesn't have anywhere near the battery life of the iPad, well that's comparing apples and oranges. The Slate has much more raw computing power than the iPad with its i5 processor. The Slate instantly is a real computer while the iPad is not so much. I will say that the touch experience on the Slate rivals that of the iPad. Apple is known for their touch experience on their iDevices, and I think the Slate rivals it. But the Slate doesn't hold a candle to the new iPad's retina display.

I've noticed many new apps have been starting to trickle into the Windows Store. Just look under new releases. The the real challenge is for Microsoft to get enough apps to contend with the iPad. This means apps that are Metro UI based and will run on the ARM based Windows RT tablets. I know a lot on this forum are NOT interested in the ARM tablets, but that's where the war against the iPad will be waged. I just hope Microsoft secretly has a lot of Metro UI based apps in the store ready by launch time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" touch screen w/ digitizer & Asus 27" external monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 Touchpad & Microsoft Touch Mouse
Touch is the new mouse, but the keyboard is forever. Why do you suppose there is a new touch keyboard in Windows 8? Keyboard won't be gone until a LONG, LONG, LONG time. Touch is the new input.

You cannot game with a touch screen, you cannot use photoshop or illustrator or any cad program, blender or anything that requires any sort of precision greater than "gross" with a touchscreen. (Stylus yes, touch no)

Touch is an /alternate/ input method for "gross" (Figuratively and literally) input only.

The mouse is here to stay for a LONG, LONG, LONG, time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Back