Problems with recovery partition in ASUS with Windows 8

The other thread, and a couple of others show these screenshots and suggests how to recover the partitions to a readable state.

Easeus removes the volume information from the partitions so they don't show up in a Volumes listing. You will have to reapply the Partition Type Id to those partitions, or in my case, I had to change them to normal data partitions then reboot and change them back.

The thread linked below also discusses the problem, and there are references for repairing your system on other forums. If you have questions about the procedures, let us know.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/44413-need-help-accessing-recovery-partition.html

I've been reeding what I hace to do and I hace some questions... Do I have to change de Id to this = de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I've been reeding what I have to do and I hace some questions... Do I have to change de Id to this = de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac ?
That is the correct ID for the Recovery partition. If you use diskpart and the Detail Partition command, it will probably show that as the current ID. Some folks have been able to reset it to that ID and have it work. In my case, I needed to do more than that.

The final recovery partition should show as the below as far as the Type and Attrib:

DISKPART> det par

Partition 1
Type : de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
Hidden : Yes
Required: Yes
Attrib : 0X8000000000000001
Offset in Bytes: 1048576

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
* Volume 5 Recovery NTFS Partition 300 MB Healthy Hidden

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 -v Pro, Z87-Expert
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
I've been reeding what I have to do and I hace some questions... Do I have to change de Id to this = de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac ?
That is the correct ID for the Recovery partition. If you use diskpart and the Detail Partition command, it will probably show that as the current ID. Some folks have been able to reset it to that ID and have it work. In my case, I needed to do more than that.

The final recovery partition should show as the below as far as the Type and Attrib:

DISKPART> det par

Partition 1
Type : de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
Hidden : Yes
Required: Yes
Attrib : 0X8000000000000001
Offset in Bytes: 1048576

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
* Volume 5 Recovery NTFS Partition 300 MB Healthy Hidden

Well I did some things and now the reagentc /info is working. I've read Need help accessing Recovery partition, in post #6 says did for each oem unit, and I have 3.

I did the changes for partition 9 and partition 2. I have noticed that in the beginning partion 2 was OEM after the change was named by recory. Is it ok? And for the next OEM partition do I have to do the same:

This is not a BCD store problem. EaseUS seems to remove the volume information from the recovery partitions on UEFI installs. The only way I know of to get it back is to change the Type ID of the Recovery partition to a General Data partition, like the OS partitions, reboot and then change the Type ID and Attribute back to the Recovery partition.

The linked post shows what the commands are to accomplish this. If you need help with diskpart, let us know. The commands can use just the first three letters for most, although some cannot. But lis is list, par is partition, and so on.

The recovery partition Type ID I know about is shown below. When you detail the partition, make sure the ASUS Type ID is the same, or copy it somewhere to keep. You can copy and paste into, out of, and within a Command Prompt window.

de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac

So to check you first recovery partition, open an Administrative command prompt. Type these command with enter after each. Use the Disk and partition numbers from the listing obtained with the list commands.

Diskpart
list disk
sel dis 0
lis par
sel par 2
detail par

You would then use the commands below to change the Type ID and Attributes

set id=ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7

This sets the partition to a Data partition. Reboot and change the Type ID and Attributes back to the original.

set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac

gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001

EaseUS has been notified about this situation, but to this time I have received no response from them. But I hope they will repair their software and put out a utility which will correct the problem for their users.

After change, I wrote reagentc /info and some information appears. So what is it next?
listdisk0.png listdisk1.png listdisk2.png listdisk3.png listdisk4.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I've tried to restore, but I have the same problem... There is a unit missing.
The reagentc /info works, show 2 recoverys.

Also when I tried to run from the usb... I have the same blue screen. And nothing happens, I return to previous screen. I don't know what to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
That is weird.

I think you will have to reinstall using winntsetup . You will need something bootable to do that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
That is weird.

I think you will have to reinstall using winntsetup . You will need something bootable to do that.

So I will have to re-install all from a windows 8? or make a format of the unit? But I don't have the ISO file... and I think I'll lost of my files, even asus drivers.

I've download the program, but I don't know how to use it.
I have install.wim (around 9.55gb) also winre.wim (around 233mb) and the usb booteable (9.75gb) ( made by the laptop, but when I try it doesn't work). So, what else do I need?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Run winntsetup and it will download few files it needs. Then copy winntsetup to a different partition from the one you are going to install to.

Boot your usb stick. Go to command prompt. Type notepad. When notepad opens click file>save, then select "all files" at the bottom of notepad window.

Use notepad to navigate to winntsetup_x64.exe and run it.

Browse to your install.wim, browse to the partition you want to install onto, tick the drive letter box and make sure C is selected, Click "Setup".

That will install. Yes, you will lose the contents of the partition you install to.

Because you already have 8.1 installed, you cannot use 8.0 install.wim to refresh, you can only use it install.

If you want to "refresh", you must get the 8.1 iso. What Edition do you have Pro\Core\Core Single language ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Run winntsetup and it will download few files it needs. Then copy winntsetup to a different partition from the one you are going to install to.

Boot your usb stick. Go to command prompt. Type notepad. When notepad opens click file>save, then select "all files" at the bottom of notepad window.

Browse to your install.wim, browse to the partition you want to install onto, tick the drive letter box and make sure C is selected, Click "Setup".

That will install. Yes, you will lose the contents of the partition you install to.

Because you already have 8.1 installed, you cannot use 8.0 install.wim to refresh, you can only use it install.

If you want to "refresh", you must get the 8.1 installation media. What Edition do you have Pro\Core\Core Single language ?

I have single language. So the install.wim that I have is win8.1? Do I need any DVD of windows?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
If the machine came with 8.0, then the install.wim on your recovery partition will also be 8.0.

Single language is hard to find. The oem might send you something, but that may also be 8.0.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Also when I tried to run from the usb... I have the same blue screen. And nothing happens, I return to previous screen. I don't know what to do.
When you did the 8.1 update, a 350 MB Recovery Partition was created. Since you have 3, I assume you have done the a Reset at least three times. The one next to the OS partition is the current one. I would change the OEM of the first 350 MB partition also.

But one thing about the Asus systems is that it normally continues to use the Original Recovery Partition, which does not allow for the Downlevel Reset over the 8.1 install and will give you an access is denied error. So since it cannot install on that partition, it has no other partition to use. As far as I know, no one has tried changing the Registration of the Recovery Tools Partition to the one that should have been configured during the update.

But I am confused as to why your Resets seem to have worked prior to this.

SIW2's process seems to be able to get around this problem by some means.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB

When you did the 8.1 update, a 350 MB Recovery Partition was created. Since you have 3, I assume you have done the a Reset at least three times. The one next to the OS partition is the current one. I would change the OEM of the first 350 MB partition also.

But one thing about the Asus systems is that it normally continues to use the Original Recovery Partition, which does not allow for the Downlevel Reset over the 8.1 install and will give you an access is denied error. So since it cannot install on that partition, it has no other partition to use. As far as I know, no one has tried changing the Registration of the Recovery Tools Partition to the one that should have been configured during the update.

But I am confused as to why your Resets seem to have worked prior to this.

SIW2's process seems to be able to get around this problem by some means.

I've noticed that there is a partition of 128mb that says: there isn't a volume associated... Also I've changed the 3 partitions of OEM and they said the same... there isn't a volume associated...
part3.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

If you want to "refresh", you must get the 8.1 iso. What Edition do you have Pro\Core\Core Single language ?

It looks a little hard to doit. I was thinking to reinstall a Windows 8, but also I realized that I going to lose all drivers from ASUS, and after that try to restore...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I've noticed that there is a partition of 128mb that says: there isn't a volume associated... Also I've changed the 3 partitions of OEM and they said the same... there isn't a volume associated...
The 128 MB partition is fine. EaseUS only messes with partitions designated as Recovery.

Before you decide to do anything like reinstall, let us know. If you are going to wipe the drive anyway, there are some things we can try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
The 128 MB partition is fine. EaseUS only messes with partitions designated as Recovery.

Before you decide to do anything like reinstall, let us know. If you are going to wipe the drive anyway, there are some things we can try.

Sure, I like to do it, before to do that. So I have to try WinNT? But I need I tutorial... I think...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8

Im a little lost with english. I have only 2 partitions, C and D. Do I have to create a new one? or I can use C?

I have this: The first for install.wim
winnt.png
Second, letter Z: I didn't know that I had this unit. And looks like this.
winntz.png
And finally, letter C, select.
Then?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
You don't want to install onto the same partition install.wim is on, you will want to format it first.

If you have a lot of space on D , you could move install.wim onto D.

OR if you have space on C , you can shrink it and create another partition to install onto. That is probably best.

Tick the box that says "drive letter preassignment" before installing.

Z is correct for location of boot drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
You don't want to install onto the same partition install.wim is on, you will want to format it first.

If you have a lot of space on D , you could move install.wim onto D.

OR if you have space on C , you can shrink it and create another partition to install onto. That is probably best.

Tick the box that says "drive letter preassignment" before installing.

Z is correct for location of boot drive.

So is it okay if I have the install.wim in D? something happens after I'll press setup? because I have many files in D and I don't want to lose it.
winntd.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Back