Solved Possible to install Win 8 x86 on a Win 8 x64 Preloaded PC?

Stuttgart - we live close by there in the northern Black Forest.

2014-12-05_1246.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Whs, So far so good with the app isntallation... I need Net framework 3.5, however, to be installed, but it says that it 'couldnt be installed' because it could not access the internet?

But when I open I explorer it works fine... Should I download and do a manual install?

Thanks again, almost there!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
I guess the manual install is your only option.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /Source:k:\sources\sxs /all /LimitAccess

run this command from the command prompt (admin) The "K" would be your windows installation media drive

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /Source:k:\sources\sxs /all /LimitAccess

run this command from the command prompt (admin) The "K" would be your windows installation media drive

Thanks but it says the source files cannot be found... What do u mean "windows installation media drive"? I installed it on the C: "virtual" drive... What other drives are there??

Also, how can I make the screen bigger? It's very small, even after clicking maximize...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
Type Display Resolution on the start page and hit Enter. There you find it. Then see the picture.

2014-12-05_1357.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Hi, I'd really like to try to get this to work, if I could just get the net framework installed, I think it would fire up. For some reason, it just won't install the framework. The dism command almost worked, but I think im pointing it to the wrong source.

Can you specify exactly where I should point it to? I only have a A, C, And D. drive available to me under the virtual system. I installed it on my "C:\Virtual Machines" folder.

Thanks again for your help. I do see a C:\sources folder in my host drive, but there is nothing in it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
You don't have an installation media drive since you installed from the iso. You would have to use a virtual CD where you store the iso - e.g. this one, but there are many others on the web.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Ok, but what was that command line that the one guy said? What is the point of that, with regards to the net framework? Sweet baby jesus, if I just get this Netframework installed, IM HOME FREE!!!

Also trying to do a fresh install of windows, but I can't even do that, as as soon as windows starts to read the contents of the USB (iso file of windows 8 x86 expanded onto it) it immediately boots into the current OS; Windows x64. Sheesh!!!

Dankeshoen, again, whs!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
Did you set the bootorder to boot from that USB stick. This is funny - if it starts reading them, it should continue. You may have toi set secure boot off.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
the sources folder would be within that ISO you use for installing the VM - you have to mount or extract it's contents or use a progrom like "isoburn" to write the iso to disk

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
you can not boot from an ISO file - you boot from an extracted ISO file.. If you are using a windows 8 machine - just double click the iso and it will mount as a dvd drive and the contents will then be readable

you can then copy those files to a usb to do a clean install

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
And thanks to you WHS

I'll be playing VM also

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
you can not boot from an ISO file - you boot from an extracted ISO file.. If you are using a windows 8 machine - just double click the iso and it will mount as a dvd drive and the contents will then be readable

you can then copy those files to a usb to do a clean install

Yes, I know you cannot boot from an ISO file. I did extract the ISO onto the USB drive.

I have adjusted all the security/UEFI/boot settings, finally managed to get it to actually READ the USB drive, Windows 8 Logo came up breifly, it fades, then goes to the installed OS's login screen (windows).

UGH!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
if the windows logo is popping up - it is because it is trying to boot into bios mode.. you must have a setting in your bios (firmware) to disable legacy prom support or some thing like that;;

Another way is to reboot using right charm - pc settings - recovery - advanced startup - use a device

with the usb stick inserted you should see it a UEFI: usb

another way to prevent that is to rename bootmgr file so only bootmgr.efi is readable

bootmgr is the bios boot file

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
if the windows logo is popping up - it is because it is trying to boot into bios mode.. you must have a setting in your bios (firmware) to disable legacy prom support or some thing like that;;

Another way is to reboot using right charm - pc settings - recovery - advanced startup - use a device

with the usb stick inserted you should see it a UEFI: usb

another way to prevent that is to rename bootmgr file so only bootmgr.efi is readable

bootmgr is the bios boot file

No, it's the 'new install' windows 8 logo.. It IS indeed reading the USB stick for 4-5 seconds, before the factory-installed windows kicks back in. Not sure whats going on.

Anyway, I think all of this is in vain. I just looked up MS website, regarding OS compatiblity.

Supported operating systems for Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro 3

Unfortunately, it appears as though the Surface is NOT compatible with win x86. However, the verbage is a bit confusing, it seems like the're saying its 'unknown' if it works rather than a definintive NO.

It reads:
"Unsupported installation scenarios

32-bit operating system support

Surface Pro devices are optimized for 64-bit versions of the operating system. 32-bit versions of Windows are unsupported on these devices. If a 32-bit operating system is installed, the devices may not boot into Windows correctly. This is true both when you boot from external media such as an attached USB or DVD drive, and when you try to boot to an image that was applied to the local disk."

What do you think? 'May not' boot? Why not it WILL NOT boot?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
If you run a 32bit in virtual, it does not matter. The 'unsupported' refers to the native installation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
If you run a 32bit in virtual, it does not matter. The 'unsupported' refers to the native installation.

Yes I know that, but I seem to be having difficulties with the installation of the net framework. I've done some searching on the net and the solutions involved are beyond my understanding, as they include registry alterations and complex shell strings

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
Chris, I assume you are now working on three machine's.

Machine 1) has VM Player installed (hosting Machine 2)

Machine 2) VM running windows 8.1 that needs Net3

Machine 3) is getting a fresh install of windows 8.1 from usb

am I correct?

I also assume you now have the extracted windows.ISO setup files on a usb.. When you look at the usb file contents, you should see ( setup.exe, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, and sources, support, efi, boot folders..)

am I correct??

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory