Poll: Basic Preferences--Using Metro Interface vs Desktop

1. You can do a great many tasks (perhaps virtually all) using metro to some extent even though almost all significant things done in relation to the vast majority of the tasks must be done on the desktop and a relatively huge number of tasks can be done using the desktop exclusively.

I think you can only say you can do most things in Metro if you include those things that automatically pop you over to the desktop. Even several built-in Microsoft administrative tasks pop you over to a desktop application. When it all boils down, there are a handful of Metro-ized versions of some good desktop apps (some of reasonable ease of use, some of no real benefit or even reduced functionality) which could just as well be run on the desktop. There are some Metro apps that are quite nice in Metro. But I'm not sure there are any apps that functionally provide anything you can't get out of the desktop (as opposed to vice versa). I think this is what mainly drives the trend toward desktop preference. Metro is more of a sideshow for people trying to do really work on a PC. And those who are much less PC literate and just want to do media consumption, do OK until they hit one of those cases where it wants to jump to the desktop, and they get confused as to why it's doing that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo T510 / HP ProBook 4540S
    CPU
    Intel i5-510m / Intel i3-3110m
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"
1. You can do a great many tasks (perhaps virtually all) using metro to some extent even though almost all significant things done in relation to the vast majority of the tasks must be done on the desktop and a relatively huge number of tasks can be done using the desktop exclusively.

I think you can only say you can do most things in Metro if you include those things that automatically pop you over to the desktop.
I appreciate your comment. Repeating your quote:

"You can do a great many tasks (perhaps virtually all) using metro to some extent even though almost all significant things done in relation to the vast majority of the tasks must be done on the desktop and a relatively huge number of tasks can be done using the desktop exclusively."

So, I think we should focus on part of what I said: You can do a great many tasks (perhaps virtually all) using metro to some extent ...."

In this regard, the "using metro to some extent" part can be extraordinarily small in comparison to a whole task. For example, let's say I want to make a very very complex movie. I could invoke my movie program from the start screen and never return to metro in doing this task--which would include a huge number of steps. But, here I would be giving a pretty much infinitesimal amount of credit to metro for getting the task done. This sentence was difficult to word given what all I wanted to say in it.

Thanks again for your comment and for reading along.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
I found this to be a very interesting survey and discussion, znod. Thanks for posting it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 / Win 8
    Lenovo T510 / HP ProBook 4540S
    CPU
    Intel i5-510m / Intel i3-3110m
    Memory
    4GB / 8GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6"
You are very welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
I must say I prefer to use the desktop for pretty much everything. The programs/apps I use most often are meant to run on the desktop, not Metro. However, I do like to use Metro to access my apps. Much easier to keep it organized and uncluttered than the old Start Menu. And I also don't have to clutter my desktop up with icons. Also, I like the iHeartRadio, Netflix, Kindle, and Weather Metro apps. Now, if only Spotify would come out with a Metro app for their player. I'd love that.

I use to use the messaging app in Metro to talk to my girlfriend and others on facebook. But, it kept having issues to I ended up just uninstalling that app along with the ones that came with it that I never used.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, Windows 8.1 Pro Preview 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Gateway NV59c
    CPU
    Intel Core i3 2.27ghz
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" 1080p Sansui HDTV connected via HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB Seagate
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Dell Dimension 4500 Desktop:
    Pentium 4 Processor (2 GHz)
    1 GB DDR-RAM
    3x40GB Hard Drives (1 Seagate, 2 Western Digital)
    1x80 GB Hard Drive (Western Digital)
    Linux Mint Debian Edition
Who says all your software will always run on under the desktop? Tomorrow you might discover a Metro app that is useful to you, but without even bothering to check.. you'll never know.

I use a computer for, and spend the vast majority of my waking hours doing Oracle / PeopleSoft development, customization, upgrade and support. I really doubt that Oracle is drinking the Microsoft kool aid, looking like the kid in Home Alone shouting "Oh my God, we must convert all our enterprise application development and database management tools to the Metro UI or the company is doomed". I say this tongue in cheek so please don't be offended but I think you know where I'm coming from.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit
Actually, Oracle *IS* drinking the mobile Kool-Aid.

They have made a number of announcements about mobile applications development on their new platform.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Proceed governor.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit
Strongly prefer desktop!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
How is it that you ALWAYS seem to completely miss the point Ray?

That's because you're all standing on your heads. This is how the world really looks:

Capture.PNG
Good one Ray. I'd make that call: "Owzat!" Reply: "Clean bowled, neck and crop!"

When will they ever learn. But then some people can't see the Desktop forest for the Metro tree. :dinesh:

Like the lone voice of a lost soul on the Titanic, (Metro), crying out to those in the life boats, (Desktop), to come back ... that they're all on the wrong boat! And only he is right! While all around him the water rises!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Hi All:

I forgot I even did this poll. I rediscovered it, and, given some recent polling results, I decided to resurrect it. I am updating the percents discussion and opening the poll up again for new votes and revoting. To reiterate what I said earlier on my post #40:

"At this point, I am adding my inferences related to your reasons for the preferences expressed in your poll responses. I may mention some things that are not explicitly mentioned in your poll-related discussion, but mostly I have tried to base my inferences on things at least alluded to previously. I hope that you will elaborate on your inferences about the reasons for the preferences expressed via the poll--even if you did not participate in the poll. Below are my inferences. Given new poll responses and discussion from this point, I'll eventually update my inferences, depending .... At this point, there have been 46 poll responses with the related percents being: 2.17%, 71.74%, 6.52%, 8.70%, 0%, 0%, and 10.87%. Totals = 80.44 percent expressing a general preference for using the desktop over metro; 8.69 percent expressing a general preference for using metro over the desktop; and 10.87% having no general preference along these lines.

Preferences for Using Metro over the Desktop:

1. You can do a great many tasks (perhaps virtually all) using metro to some extent even though almost all significant things done in relation to the vast majority of the tasks must be done on the desktop and a relatively huge number of tasks can be done using the desktop exclusively. Nevertheless, one reason an individual might report a general preference for using metro over the desktop is that he/she likes metro so well (e.g., because of its design, newness, or direction, etc., etc.) that he/she tries to maximize its use whether or not necessary in regard to doing many many things.

2. An individual might spend most of his computing time using apps that run in metro. This situation might provide a reason for an individual reporting a general preference for using metro over the desktop.

3. An individual might have in mind cases where uninvolved tasks can be done both exclusively using metro and exclusively using the desktop (e.g., viewing photos, reading the news, and checking the weather) and like the metro way better. Such a case might provide a reason for an individual reporting a general preference for using metro over the desktop.

4. An individual might focus on app selection and like the metro start screen approach to app selection better than using the desktop approach whether or not using options like 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]-party software to simulate, for example, having the Win7 start menu. This scenario might provide a reason for an individual reporting a general preference for using metro over the desktop.

5. The individual might have a touch-screen computer—which might provide a reason for him/her reporting a general preference for using metro over the desktop.

6. Combinations of 1 through 5 might provide a reason for an individual to express a general preference for using metro over the desktop.

Preference for Using the Desktop over Metro:

1. Metro might be viewed as being of very limited usefulness in regard to accomplishing many tasks (perhaps virtually all). In this case, an individual might have a reason for expressing a general preference for using the desktop over metro.

2. Metro might be viewed generally as being comparatively inefficient in accomplishing the same tasks. In this case, an individual might have a reason for expressing a general preference for using the desktop over metro.

3. Metro might be viewed as imposing something unnecessary and generally inefficient (i.e., possibly a phone or tablet type interface) on top of a very acceptable operating system. This scenario might provide a reason for an individual to report a general preference for using the desktop over metro.

4. Combinations of 1 through 3 might provide a reason for an individual to express a general preference for using metro over the desktop.

No General Preference for Using Metro or the Desktop:

An individual might just do what feels good or what is necessary to accomplish a certain task. In some cases the desktop might be used exclusively; in some cases metro might be used exclusively; and in some cases using a combination of the two might be used. Under this scenario, an individual might express having no general preference for using metro or the desktop."

Updated percents as of 1/22/13:

At this point, there have been 63 poll responses with the related percents being: 4.76%, 73.02%, 6.35%, 7.94%, 0%, 0%, and 7.94%. Totals = 80.96 percent expressing a general preference for using the desktop over metro; 11.11 percent expressing a general preference for using metro over the desktop; and 7.94% having no general preference along these lines. Thinks haven't changed very much since my post #40 update. I have not yet updated my preferences analysis, but I don't recall seeing a persuasive reason to do so.

OK, it's time for new voting and revoting. And, please make additional comments consistent with what I said in post #1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Ran into this poll while performing a forum search. I know these are old, but missed this one out of many polls that znod undertook. Was there ever a total consensus of all the polls that I may have missed?

Now that time has elapsed, I'd prefer that everything got ported over to the Modern. Eventually I think it will, but will take time.

Has anyone heard about the release of the Modern version of Office by any chance?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Has anyone heard about the release of the Modern version of Office by any chance?

Read something earlier in the week on think it was either winbeta or windowsphonecentral but cant seem to find it now and it did mention a modern styling for it

my IE in win 10 is playing up at the moment, so hard to find anymore info (extremely sluggish), will have a look tomorrow for where I was reading

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
Thanks, Paul. :)

I see you're having a slow go downloading 10. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Not the best of downloads, just up and running now ater nearly 24 hours (pc did go into sleep mode overnight which didn't help) :(

Time to look for these 7000 changes/improvements now, only difference i see in notification centre ;)

Where is my charms bar via the mouse, lol

Have you tried 10 much yet, been reading abour your issues with PC/PSU, you seem to be having a bad time with it

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB