One in Three Windows 8 Users Downgrade to Windows 7

Windows 8 has often been criticized for the changes it brings to the OS market, especially because it pushes all users towards a touch-based experience, so adoption remains low almost 9 months after launch.

Statistics provided by Net Applications show that Windows 8 is currently installed on 5.40 percent of computers worldwide, while Windows XP, the ancient operating system that’ll be soon retired, is still powering 37.19 percent of the machines across the globe.

According to Microsoft watcher Paul Thurrott of WinSuperSite.com, there are approximately 88.5 million Windows 8 users out there, based on Microsoft’s estimates that 1.5 billion of the PCs are now running its own operating system.

lg.php
The 50-million difference between these two estimates is most likely represented by Windows 8 adopters who decided to go back to Windows 7, Thurrott writes, which means that 1 in 3 users of Microsoft’s new OS downgraded to the previous Windows release.
One in Three Windows 8 Users Downgrade to Windows 7

Hi there
Anybody got a picture of Horses and Stable doors -- try and get this as a huge Cinema size A1 Poster and send to the Marketing group at Ms -- they definitely have got their knickers into a HUGE twist -- seriously big time. !!!!

Actually apart from the IE11 fiasco W8.1 is quite OK --unlike W8 I'd certainly use W8.1 --I just can't yet because of IE11 -- and for work I have to use IE -- other browsers don't work with the SAP ERP software (SAPGUI) that I need to use. IE11 issue also is restricting the whole XP upgrade -- probably W7 will be chosen --it's stable and predictable even if it's no longer "cutting edge". The advantage with W7 for all the other issues is that IT WORKS !! and for a business that is more important than anything else.

Why on earth Ms didn't allow IE9/10 also on W8.1 is just BONKERS as I know a lot will NOT upgrade just because of the IE11 issue - and with W8 apparently not getting updates after W8.1 appears (yet more confusion Ms !!) then it's a NO BRAINER for businesses to stay with W7.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I expect classic shell etc have saved 8 from an even worse fate.

If those 3rd party shell programs didn't exist, the returns of 8 machines would likely be much greater.

Never thought of this. I know personally around 10 people with Windows 8, and all of them use a start menu replacement. I have never personally seen someone successfully function within the stock windows 8 UI. I had one friend, who apparently tried to use Metro, end up taking the computer back because of windows 8. He got a Mac all in one.

Hi there
@SIW2 -- your wishes have been answered -- W8 is DEAD and BURIED.

Windows 8.1 is far better and W8 will STOP receiving updates once W8.1 releases to final --and it IS a FREE update.

Still some things wrong with it (especially IE11) but it is in BETA and it IS a 1000% improvement on W8 -- even if only for boot direct to desktop.

W8 probably had the smallest life time of any W8 OS -- even Windows 1.1 or the ill fated Windows/286. Remember that one !!!!.

Anyway you've got your wish -- now go and have a few beers. !!!

Cheers
jimbo

I am a last-version-junkie and I had to uninstall 8.1 and return to 8.0 because I didn't like some of the changes.

I didn't notice any improvement at all over 8.0 but those changes that to me were for the worse, and they were so big that made me take the long time to do the change, which is quite long and you don't do it unless something big is bothering you.

I like W8, I use the Metro Start Menu with conscious choice (I even have Start8 but only to disable the charms, corners and transparency), but I said from Developer Preview that it would be the biggest fiasco ever and would pull Microsoft down to an spiral of diaster, which seem to be happening, and about W8.1 I think that it will not change anything at all the acceptance of the customers. The changes are so minor, ridiculuous and even offensive that I don't see how it will succeed when the main rejection issues are untouched or even made worse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus X501A
    CPU
    Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X501A1 (SOCKET 0)
    Memory
    4 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1366x768 Generic PnP Monitor on Intel HD Graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BPVT-80JJ5T0 (SATA)
    Mouse
    Always touchpad with Asus' Smart Gestures
    Browser
    7star
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Back