One in Three Windows 8 Users Downgrade to Windows 7

Windows 8 has often been criticized for the changes it brings to the OS market, especially because it pushes all users towards a touch-based experience, so adoption remains low almost 9 months after launch.

Statistics provided by Net Applications show that Windows 8 is currently installed on 5.40 percent of computers worldwide, while Windows XP, the ancient operating system that’ll be soon retired, is still powering 37.19 percent of the machines across the globe.

According to Microsoft watcher Paul Thurrott of WinSuperSite.com, there are approximately 88.5 million Windows 8 users out there, based on Microsoft’s estimates that 1.5 billion of the PCs are now running its own operating system.

lg.php
The 50-million difference between these two estimates is most likely represented by Windows 8 adopters who decided to go back to Windows 7, Thurrott writes, which means that 1 in 3 users of Microsoft’s new OS downgraded to the previous Windows release.
One in Three Windows 8 Users Downgrade to Windows 7

So true Hopachi,...why stick with old 16-bit assembly when you have the power of 64-bit C (albeit not native C)? the advantages and possibilities to create security and other features over legacy systems are immense ... makes total sense.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Hi there
@SIW2 -- your wishes have been answered -- W8 is DEAD and BURIED.

Windows 8.1 is far better and W8 will STOP receiving updates once W8.1 releases to final --and it IS a FREE update.

Cheers
jimbo

No, it's not. It'll be supported for another two years.
I have a feeling that M$ will be changing the policy on that for Window 8.

According to MS the 2 year support policy will apply. They have been doing this for years with the issue of SP's and will continue to do so to satisfy the corporate customers.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
According to MS the 2 year support policy will apply. They have been doing this for years with the issue of SP's and will continue to do so to satisfy the corporate customers.

M$ does not call 8.1 an SP but a new OS and M$ it is there way or the high way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

But MS has stated it is treated like a SP and the 2 year rule applies. So if you don't want to update to 8.1 you have 2 years of support for 8 after 8.1 GA.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner

But MS has stated it is treated like a SP and the 2 year rule applies. So if you don't want to update to 8.1 you have 2 years of support for 8 after 8.1 GA.

I hope so but with M$ acting the way they are you never know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
No IE 11 for 8 though. 7 and 8.1 get it but not 8. No powershell 4 either. You'll likely get security updates but that's about it. I could have sworn it was posted in another thread that Microsoft was going to stop updating 8 once 8.1 came out, but can't find that thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I could have sworn it was posted in another thread that Microsoft was going to stop updating 8 once 8.1 came out, but can't find that thread.
Yes you're right.

The thread was called "Microsoft mandates Windows 8.1 upgrade" - I don't know why it was deleted. (?)

It even still comes up if I search for it, but then I get an error saying I don't have permission.

Anyway the source was this Microsoft blog post here:
Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview Now Available
Windows 8 customers will have two years to move to Windows 8.1 after the General Availability of the Windows 8.1 update to continue to remain supported under Windows 8 lifecycle. With the availability of Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview, it is time to start planning your deployment - and there are deployment tools and guidance available to help make these updates seamless for customers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
A lot of people buy new PC's and Laptops, which come with special applications from the OEM's. So, the first thing they try is downgrading it to 7. Suddenly all of the special Fn keys no longer work, and there are no Windows 7 drivers or programs for those functions. Not to mention special Power Saving apps and Controls that come with 8, and then there is UEFI. It's the same trick they pulled with Vista to try to force people to stick with something they do not want, because they CAN't remove that stuff and get support for a prior OS. Vista PCs could not be downgraded to XP. Windows 8 PC's and laptops are hard pressed to downgrade to 7.

With Vista, people using Vista upgraded to 7 immediately, and all of those Fn controls worked. So unless 8.1 is more suited to what people want, they wont have this option to upgrade to a better OS like we had with Vista. and most of us know that 8.1 is NOT going to accommodate our wishes, so people will continue to downgrade systems to 7 and just live with the lack of special functions, camera drivers, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Hi there.

I DEFINITELY saw the Ms issue on the fact that there would be NO updates for W8 once W8.1 came out -- I did think it a bit strange as IE11 is IMO still a long way off from being fit for purpose for productive or even casual use and there is no IE10 support for W8.1 either now or planned.

Also seems a bit strange when laptops / PC's are being sold with what will be essentially a DEAD OS. (Don't make a mistake of thinking nobody is buying computer any more -- they STILL are -- even though of course in nothing like the volumes they used to).

At least VISTA machines were sold with a FREE W7 upgrade before W7 was released -- I haven't heard of any policy issued with the machines that W8.1 is being released shortly and you will qualify for a free W8.1 upgrade.

We know of course but the majority of people who buy computers don't (unfortunately) use the forums so they won't know.

Also we don't know about users wanting to change from W7 -- will they be able to go straight from W7 to W8.1 or do they have to go via W8.

What a Marketing disaster this whole thing is turning out to be - even if W8.1 looks likely to be more successful than W8 in nearly every way.

I don't know whose in charge of Marketing at Ms these days -- I get the feeling they couldn't organise a booze up in a Brewery or even a Prayer meeting in the Vatican.

To Ms -- a very old rule is : When you are in a hole STOP DIGGING !!.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I could have sworn it was posted in another thread that Microsoft was going to stop updating 8 once 8.1 came out, but can't find that thread.
Yes you're right.

The thread was called "Microsoft mandates Windows 8.1 upgrade" - I don't know why it was deleted. (?)

It even still comes up if I search for it, but then I get an error saying I don't have permission.

Anyway the source was this Microsoft blog post here:
Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview Now Available
Windows 8 customers will have two years to move to Windows 8.1 after the General Availability of the Windows 8.1 update to continue to remain supported under Windows 8 lifecycle. With the availability of Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview, it is time to start planning your deployment - and there are deployment tools and guidance available to help make these updates seamless for customers.

There was also an IE11 thread here in the news where the same questions were posted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I DEFINITELY saw the Ms issue on the fact that there would be NO updates for W8 once W8.1 came out -- I did think it a bit strange as IE11 is IMO still a long way off from being fit for purpose for productive or even casual use and there is no IE10 support for W8.1 either now or planned.

If you think of it, they had to 'repay' with something the fact that 8.1 is a FREE upgrade: the older one gets terminated.
We didn't had free upgrades until now, only service packs but those are different because the same OS is being updated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Hi there.

Also seems a bit strange when laptops / PC's are being sold with what will be essentially a DEAD OS. (Don't make a mistake of thinking nobody is buying computer any more -- they STILL are -- even though of course in nothing like the volumes they used to).

At least VISTA machines were sold with a FREE W7 upgrade before W7 was released -- I haven't heard of any policy issued with the machines that W8.1 is being released shortly and you will qualify for a free W8.1 upgrade.

We know of course but the majority of people who buy computers don't (unfortunately) use the forums so they won't know.

Also we don't know about users wanting to change from W7 -- will they be able to go straight from W7 to W8.1 or do they have to go via W8.

What a Marketing disaster this whole thing is turning out to be - even if W8.1 looks likely to be more successful than W8 in nearly every way.

I don't know whose in charge of Marketing at Ms these days -- I get the feeling they couldn't organise a booze up in a Brewery or even a Prayer meeting in the Vatican.

To Ms -- a very old rule is : When you are in a hole STOP DIGGING !!.

Cheers
jimbo

I'd say if you have 7 and want 8/8.1 you're going to have to pay for it. You can clean install 8.1 so you could skip 8 altogether if you wanted, you just need a product code/license. If you already have 8, 8.1 will use your current 8 product code, embedded or not. If your PC came with 7, 8.1 is going to prompt for a product code on install. That's my take on it anyway, 8.1 is only free to those that already have 8. It wouldn't surprise me if 8.1 replaces 8 on store shelves when it comes out and 8 stops being offered for sale.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue of 8 to 8.1, especially with the new IE11 involved. Then to add more confusion 7 and 8.1 get it, but not 8?!! What's with that?!!

I think you're correct, Kerry, for 8.1 is a new OS. It will be free to those that have 8, but others will have to buy a key. As to the support of 8, I guess that remains to be seen, but if its confusing for us what the hey is the general public going to think?

Seems to me MS is trying to dance around their mistakes they made in 8 concerning the options to boot to Desktop and using All Apps screen instead of Start Screen to appease the "desktoppers". That's the biggest change in 8.1. IE11 added also.

It seems to be a big marketing blunder for sure, jimbo. They created too much confusion. I think they should have either treated 8 with a SP1 for the navigational changes (which is there norm) and forget IE11 for now or given 8.1 a different name not related to 8 > 9 or whatever. They could've still offered the free upgrade from 8 if one had purchased it.

Although I think Ms needed to change directions with their "type" of OS in targeting a new market, they sure seem to be going about it the wrong way. Why with 8 being a big change from their norm and all the bad press following, I think they need to get rid of the number 8 in the name at all cost and simply phase it out. The way they're going about it is simply asking for more bad press.

Ballmer > Do some firing and hire someone that knows what they're doing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
There seems to be a lot of confusion about this issue of 8 to 8.1, especially with the new IE11 involved. Then to add more confusion 7 and 8.1 get it, but not 8?!! What's with that?!!
They want to move the people away from 8 to 8.1 that's why the last one is a free upgrade. I use 8 but I will move to 8.1 when available. I don't like the idea that the Win7 Image Recovery feature got removed but that's how we move on.

Moving a bit by force: "if you don't move away from 8.0 you will not get support and updates anymore..." there is a 2 year support. There will be those who upgrade because they like the new OS.

And with a few old features removed and a few new features added, 8.1 is still 8.

Don't think they'll get rid if the number 8 soon, it's a nice number. :)
Critics do what they do best.

Easier said than done.
Who knows what they're doing especially if some strict guidelines have to be followed, something like: touch stays...

By the way:
My old Pentium 3 which had the opportunity to run W 8.0 prev x86 is now unable to run W 8.1 prev x86 so the exclusion of old hardware will always move to a new level with a new release. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
A lot of your casual PC users that buy a new PC with 8 on it are just going to update to 8.1 though the store. That's going to be a headache for a lot of people because we all know, upgrade installs more often than not have issues. Add to that, that a lot of PC's coming out now don't have a utility to make recovery disks, you need to make a recovery drive/thumb drive. And how many people actually use the utility when its there. Usually when its too late. Microsoft, if you are listening, please give us the option to download a full Windows 8.1 ISO when it becomes final? It will make some peoples lives so much easier when things go south.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
They want to move the people away from 8 to 8.1 that's why the last one is a free upgrade. I use 8 but I will move to 8.1 when available. I don't like the idea that the Win7 Image Recovery feature got removed but that's how we move on.

Moving a bit by force: "if you don't move away from 8.0 you will not get support and updates anymore..." there is a 2 year support. There will be those who upgrade because they like the new OS.

And with a few old features removed and a few new features added, 8.1 is still 8.

Easier said than done.
Who knows what they're doing especially if some strict guidelines have to be followed, something like: touch stays...

By the way:
My old Pentium 3 which had the opportunity to run W 8.0 prev x86 is now unable to run W 8.1 prev x86 so the exclusion of old hardware will always move to a new level with a new release. :)

I think they should have called it Windows 8 SE. :zip:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Good point Alpha,

I hope the key from 8.0 will be allowed, one way or another, on the 8.1 ISO install as it will be through the Store.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

Easier said than done.

By the way:

Good idea. :thumbup: Anything to clear up the confusion.

And :thumbup: on your prior post. Their upgrades have always been a PITA. We need ISOs!

What was also nice it was to install from the ISO downloaded to the hard drive. I know having the DVD around is convenient for reinstall, but from the HD there's less chance of error.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Good point Alpha,

I hope the key from 8.0 will be allowed, one way or another, on the 8.1 ISO install as it will be through the Store.

From what I've read, Windows 8.1 will accept your Windows 8 code, even the embedded ones. I don't think we'll know 100% until final release though. I'm hoping it works that way, I have two laptops that came with 8 factory installed. I'd just as soon do clean installs and keep the factory activation with the embedded keys. I have an MVP TechNet/MSDN subscription so I'm covered anyway. We see a lot of people looking for ISO's though so I hope Microsoft makes that an option like it is now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

Easier said than done.

By the way:

Good idea. :thumbup: Anything to clear up the confusion.

And :thumbup: on your prior post. Their upgrades have always been a PITA. We need ISOs!

What was also nice it was to install from the ISO downloaded to the hard drive. I know having the DVD around is convenient for reinstall, but from the HD there's less chance of error.

I do all my installs from USB thumb drives. The only time I put a DVD in my drive these days is to install and play DRM protected games where you have to have the disk to play.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard