Odd 'Desktop' tile on start screen

Just a thought: what if you downloaded the Desktop zip file and replaced the shortcut in

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

could be a corrupt link or something!

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...tile-windows-8-start-screen-2.html#post188067

(create a restore point just in case!)

This is interesting, much more like the sort of thing I was looking for. I thought this would work, but it seems the corruption of this tile runs even deeper. Something interesting happened as I was going through the steps, step ten is the following:

"10. Right click or press and hold on the Desktop shortcut, and click/tap on Pin to Start. Close File Explorer."

Well, when I right click my very special Desktop shortcut, I am not given the option to Pin it anywhere. Check on your computer, if you go to this folder and right click the shortcut, do you have the option to pin it? Compare your list to the image I have attached, I am sure they are different. Why is that?

Anyway, since I could not pin it from that folder, I went back to Start and found it in the Apps section, pinned it, and found that Wide is still my maximum size.

Nice find, Edwin...

Just to make sure I don't overlook something, did you suggest anything for me in this post?

I suppose this is what I will try next. Does it affect all my tiles or could I just use it to create a desktop tile of my liking?

Attachments

• whereispin.png
    whereispin.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 103

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
No, not really. Just rambling on the subject.

Don't know what to tell you on your problem. I don't think it ever came up before. I've searched the Net to no avail. You have a very unique problem indeed.

I'm not partial to 3rd party cosmetic programs either, so Edwin or others will have to aid you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
No, not really. Just rambling on the subject.

Don't know what to tell you on your problem. I don't think it ever came up before. I've searched the Net to no avail. You have a very unique problem indeed.

I'm not partial to 3rd party cosmetic programs either, so Edwin or others will have to aid you.

Yes I would rather not use 3rd party software myself, especially for such a minor adjustment. But I am running out of other ideas. And this desktop tile is staring at me, tauntingly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
[/QUOTE]I suppose this is what I will try next. Does it affect all my tiles or could I just use it to create a desktop tile of my liking?[/QUOTE]

You can create individual tiles of whatever program, folder or drive you wish.
I'm in the process of making a tutorial on the use of OblyTile to it's fullest potential. I hope to finish it soon. :)

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
You can create individual tiles of whatever program, folder or drive you wish.
I'm in the process of making a tutorial on the use of OblyTile to it's fullest potential. I hope to finish it soon. :)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see. So with this program, if you create a desktop tile, Large, does it show the current desktop background on it?

Also, it is written under known issues to make a backup of your tiles. How do I backup my tiles?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
Oh, I see. So with this program, if you create a desktop tile, Large, does it show the current desktop background on it?

Also, it is written under known issues to make a backup of your tiles. How do I backup my tiles?

As long as you have an image, yes.
Export to backup tiles.

000030.png

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
Choose the associated 'Desktop' entry from within Obly as per screen shot then choose your image. Make sure all your images stay in one place or the path will be broken.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
Choose the associated 'Desktop' entry from within Obly as per screen shot then choose your image. Make sure all your images stay in one place or the path will be broken.

So it cannot support a desktop that automatically changes wallpapers? I have a all my wallpapers in a folder and windows automatically and randomly changes between them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
So it cannot support a desktop that automatically changes wallpapers? I have a all my wallpapers in a folder and windows automatically and randomly changes between them.

The 'Desktop' tile you create with OblyTile is merely a shortcut that brings you to the desktop; what happens on the desktop should not be related.
Just make sure you choose one still image to represent the desktop on the tile.
The tile will not switch images, if that's what you're getting at.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
The tile will not switch images, if that's what you're getting at.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping it would do. So it does not perfectly replicate the original tile, so my problem remains unsolved. Is this perhaps a function you could consider adding?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
Doesn't windows automatically create a temp-file of whatever image is used as the desktop background? If we could find it and select it in OblyTile, wouldn't it then act as the original desktop tile?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64 bit
Back