Solved Now the trouble starts

I may as well jump in here too and chit chat.

I purchased one of the very first IBM desk top 8086 PC's back in 1983, just about the time they introduced them. There was no Microsoft. No available store bought software. What a clunker. Like the old Model T Ford. A software company came along with the IBM salesman. He wrote the programs for our company's. Microsoft came along in the early 1990's.

Another local/regional engineering/construction company went bankrupt in the late 1990's. Our then company acquired them and their assets including office equipment and personnel. I got one of their computers. It had only MS-DOS. Didn't even have a clock! By then there was quite a lot of commercially available software, actually quite good. One of the acquired company's accountants kept on using MS DOS ! Also one of that company's engineers shared an office with me. He persisted in using MS DOS ! I couldn't believe it. They wouldn't change ??? It was agonizing to see them even print something, typing in MS DOS each time.

I bough a new Compaq Presario shortly thereafter and loaded it with all kinds of word processing and accounting/math software. But those characters just kept on plodding along the old way.

I like Windows 8. Since I came from the old school I remember what it was like back then and how truly primitive the things were.

I, too, came from that same era. I purchased my first IBM PC in 1983. Have been coding on PC's ever since. I was writing device drivers for the PC before there were books on how to do it.

-Max ;-)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Why would someone upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?
Aside from the (useless/annoying) Metro tile-fest, does Windows 8 have anything useful not found in Windows 7?

On a desktop machine, no. I only upgraded myself because I'm a developer and have wanted to keep an eye on the technology but if I was asked to tell you that I need the new features in Win8. Nope. Not a bit of it. It's running fine on my machine but I could go back to Windows 7 (think about it every day, actually) and lose nothing.

-Max ;-)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Thanks Coke Robot. I'll have a look at that.

Update: didn't work.
This is very odd. You did go to the advanced power settings dialog box right?
Right.

You say you have Windows 8 in a virtual machine with VM Player? Can you try a new install of it or redownload the .iso image if possible? The oddities you're having doesn't even remotely sound normal in the slightest. Or even sfc /scannow?...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Thank you Coke Robot. But reinstalling the thing is too much trouble. It is not a big deal. I usually shut the Win8 off - rarely put it into sleep. It reboots in a few seconds and there the Netplwiz setting works now -> Like this when I had the early version: Start Win8 in vBox1.wmv - YouTube

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
So sad that so many users really do not understand Windows 8 features.

It actually does have hidden system menu.

* Place mouse arrow in lower left corner until a "Start" tile appears.

* Right click to open the menu. Do not open "Start" - right click the little "Start" tile in the lower left corner.

* Select the tool you want to launch. There are 16 selections.

Alternately and additionally:

Windows 8 has a huge selection of keystrokes.

When I bought my new HP 20 All in one computer it came with the wired HP keyboard and mouse. I prefer wireless so I replaced the wired HP with a Logitech M700 wireless, programmable, keyboard and wireless mouse "combo".

To the extent that I was using the HP keyboard and mouse I could make the keystrokes work as expected. However, when I began using the Logitech's some keystrokes were no longer responsive. So I went to the Logitech website, found my models and downloaded the latest drivers. THEN the keystrokes became functional. I mention this for the benefit of anyone who may have upgraded Win 8 onto an existing computer. It may be necessary to go to the respective manufacturer's and download drivers for Win 8.

You can just begin typing directly when the "Start" window is open .

Keystroke "Window" *( That's the key with the Windows logo/emblem ). + Q *( windows+q) opens the search window. Don't type the + sign, just Windows q.

There are several keystrokes that open a large number of selections which are essentially icons and words. * ( Icons are not tiles. Icons are little figures. Tiles are large areas with various content, words and drawings or pictures ).

There are several more Win 8 enhanced features. For example an easy zoom feature that lets me enlarge the screen in an instant for easier reading small print.

There is a "voice" recognition feature.

A math input panel that allows writing complex symbols in equations. I'm sure Win 8 will be popular with college kids and professors.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

And - Oh yes ! Place the mouse arrow on the task bar and RIGHT CLICK. More menu will come up !

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
WIN+Q is handy and so is WIN+I. I guess we are going back to DOS and operate with keystrokes rather than the mouse.

And you can copy shortcuts of the hidden system menu items if you go to:

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX

The shortcuts are in the Group2 and Group3 folders.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hmmm.. It seems odd that the people that seem to dislike Windows 8 the most all like to brag about how they were using computers in the 50's or some such...

There can't be a correlation.... I'm probably just imagining it...

Hmmmm, you mean people with probably some of the greatest wisdom and experience when it comes to computers? There aren't many people that can claim that much personal history with computers. He's someone who has lived through the evolution of computers and from the sounds of things, is still involved. I think we should value his knowledge of computers and take his opinion seriously not make jokes and say hes bragging.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
By that logic, man would have never walked on the moon, transitioned to horseless carriages, or created an account on Facebook.

Ok, so maybe the facebook thing is wise ;)

The fact of the matter is, sometimes you need new eyes to look at something. There's a story about how Steve Wozniak created the Apple II floppy disk drive. He says he had no idea how he was "supposed" to make a disk drive, and if he had it never would have been half as good. The point being, doing things the way they've always been done is not always the wisest course.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
By that logic, man would have never walked on the moon, transitioned to horseless carriages, or created an account on Facebook.

Ok, so maybe the facebook thing is wise ;)

The fact of the matter is, sometimes you need new eyes to look at something. There's a story about how Steve Wozniak created the Apple II floppy disk drive. He says he had no idea how he was "supposed" to make a disk drive, and if he had it never would have been half as good. The point being, doing things the way they've always been done is not always the wisest course.

This is just a bunch of useless motherhood.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I just wasted $40 for a Windows 8 license and installed it with VMware. And the first two simple things I tried don't work.

1. When I wanted to use one of my own pictures as desktop background, it tells me that I do not have an application for that. Since when do we need applications to set a desktop background. It works neither from the picture directly nor thru Personalize.

2. I always automate my logins with Netplwiz. That is a hit and miss too. It works a couple of times, then I have to loging manually again (although the little box is still unchecked).

What a mess. All these functions worked in the prerelease versions. I knew I was wasting my money.

Wow what a waste, a full operating system for less than half the price of most good games:cry:

There was a guy on here a few days ago who said he found it exciting and challenging to find new ways of doing things, I feel exactly the same way, bit like an explorer or learning DOS the first time, but obviously you don't.
Young man, I have been around computers since 1958 and learned about 50 different operating systems - that was my job. A new OS does not scare me. I can tell a good OS from a marginal one and for right now Windows 8 is marginal in my book - at least for the desktop user.

Hi there
well if you've been around operating systems (50) of them then you don't seem to have learned how to use the cmdline with Windows -- to get automatic login without entering a user name / password this has been around since "Pontius was a pilot" and STILL WORKS in W8 whether as a VM or a REAL machine.

Simply in the cmd prompt type in control userpasswords2 (works as a normal cmd - you don't need an elevated cmd )

Now you'll get a popup screen - and its simple. - No registry hacks, obscure 3rd party utilities etc etc etc.

Screenshot enc. Just uncheck the box and follow the instructions. :dinesh:

SIMPLE !!!!!! Q.E.D - Next question please. !!!

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• passwrd.png
    passwrd.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 126

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
So sad that so many users really do not understand Windows 8 features.

It actually does have hidden system menu.

That is entirely Microsoft's fault.

They are the ones who decided that all of the controls need to be hidden in invisible hotspots.

@jimbo45

The procedure you describe is basically the same if you use netplwiz (like whs)
How To Automatically Logon To Windows Vista

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Wow what a waste, a full operating system for less than half the price of most good games:cry:

There was a guy on here a few days ago who said he found it exciting and challenging to find new ways of doing things, I feel exactly the same way, bit like an explorer or learning DOS the first time, but obviously you don't.
Young man, I have been around computers since 1958 and learned about 50 different operating systems - that was my job. A new OS does not scare me. I can tell a good OS from a marginal one and for right now Windows 8 is marginal in my book - at least for the desktop user.

Hi there
well if you've been around operating systems (50) of them then you don't seem to have learned how to use the cmdline with Windows -- to get automatic login without entering a user name / password this has been around since "Pontius was a pilot" and STILL WORKS in W8 whether as a VM or a REAL machine.

Simply in the cmd prompt type in control userpasswords2 (works as a normal cmd - you don't need an elevated cmd )

Now you'll get a popup screen - and its simple. - No registry hacks, obscure 3rd party utilities etc etc etc.

Screenshot enc. Just uncheck the box and follow the instructions. :dinesh:

SIMPLE !!!!!! Q.E.D - Next question please. !!!

Cheers
jimbo

Same thing as Netplwiz - where is the beef.

Btw: Most of the 50 operating systems were on real computers - not toys. Those were run by my secretaries in my days.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
1. I use stardock decor8
2. I use lastpass

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
I just wasted $40 for a Windows 8 license and installed it with VMware. And the first two simple things I tried don't work.

1. When I wanted to use one of my own pictures as desktop background, it tells me that I do not have an application for that. Since when do we need applications to set a desktop background. It works neither from the picture directly nor thru Personalize.

2. I always automate my logins with Netplwiz. That is a hit and miss too. It works a couple of times, then I have to loging manually again (although the little box is still unchecked).

What a mess. All these functions worked in the prerelease versions. I knew I was wasting my money.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
___

Such complaining just goes a long way to further confirm my growing suspicions that Microsoft does indeed have a variety of versions of Windows. This has been confirmed abundantly by them.

The $40 price *( $39.95 ) sounds like the download on the Internet without discs. The store price in the USA is $69.95 for a boxed version with two discs, 64 bit and 32 bit. It is Windows Pro.

Fundamentally, to be technically accurate it is necessary to add the nomenclature identifiers. Referring to Windows 8 generically doesn't appropriately describe exactly what you get for your money. What you get is what you pay for. There have been traditionally several versions of Windows in past OS's.

The Windows 8 Genealogy/family tree upgrades have roots in the older Win 7, several Vistas and several XP's. Depending on what the previous version was, Win 8 acts differently - to each previous version.:

Versions in Win 8:

* W 8 regional. OEM installed

* W 8 RT. OEM installed.

One of these versions comes preinstalled on Tablets and Notebooks and it is stripped down.

The other is an OEM installed on new computers by manufacturers. It is NOT Windows Pro.

* Windows 8 download from Microsoft *( no disc ). $39.95

* Windows 8 Pro. Boxed version in stores for a clean install and/or upgrade. $69.95 ).

* Windows 8 Pro upgrade, in store, in box, to upgrade Win 8 OEM to Win 8 Pro. *( $69.95 ) **( Bitlocker encryption, Remote desk top and more ). *** ( Windows Media Center is an additional purchase around $10 to $13 that requires a product key code. For TV, media ).

* Windows 8 Enterprise *( Commercial for large users ). Special purchase, not for homeowners/private individuals.

* Windows 8 Embedded *( Special application for OEM manufacturer ).

* Windows 8 for China and other regional editions. *( Besides these the N-, E-, K-, and KN suffix editions are sold in special markets. These are missing some of the usual preinstalled applications.

The most complaints I have heard come from those that installed the Win 8 Internet download from Microsoft without disc.

*( There are certain countries that Microsoft will not download to, one of Which is China ).

If VMware isn't the latest version it may need to be upgraded. Or a "fix" may be necessary.

In several cases of problems with Win 8 either an upgrade, or a fix or downloading drivers often works.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
The $40 price *( $39.95 ) sounds like the download on the Internet without discs. The store price in the USA is $69.95 for a boxed version with two discs, 64 bit and 32 bit. It is Windows Pro.
This is a real rip-off by itself. A $30 difference in price for the same OS on a 50 cents CD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Such complaining just goes a long way to further confirm my growing suspicions that Microsoft does indeed have a variety of versions of Windows. This has been confirmed abundantly by them.

You are confusing SKU with "version". A SKU, or Shop Keeping Unit, identifies a particular package. A version identifies the feature set. So, Windows 8 Pro Upgrade without disks and one with are two different SKU's, but they are the same version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Mystere:

Thanks. Actually I wasn't "confused" I was not informed !

I bought a new HP Desktop 20 All in One computer last month with OEM installed Windows 8. It was not Win 8 Pro.

My previous computer's hard drive crashed and I installed a new hard drive. Then I purchased Windows 8 Pro and installed clean. So I have both the Win 8 OEM and the Win 8 Pro. What I do not have is a Win 8 download from the Internet so I couldn't evaluate and I reflected that in my circumscriptive post above. I appreciate your clarifications about my suspicions.

Since I have been burned more than once I won't download from the I-net. I need the discs in my hands for obvious reasons.

____________________________________________________________________________________

As to the other issues raised above about logging on automatically and then kicking off and requiring a password, that has happened to me a couple of times. However, I am constantly tampering with things and including my LAN. I just haven't as yet been able to isolate the problem. It may be me messing around and it may be another of Windows 8's growing number of quirks. They are here alright, Several. But there are, at the same time, several plausible explanations and fixes many, it not most, of which are remedied by updates, downloads, drivers and fixes. Win 8 is leaving many in the dust !!!! Many are playing catch up.

I think that maybe some of our esteemed friends in Win 8 may have caught a real tiger by the tail.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
I think the $40.00 pricing is good only till the end of January 31, 2013 then goes to regular pricing so take advantage of cheap pricing now any one looking for a copy of Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Home Built Antec P-180B Case
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    Asus P5QPro Turbo
    Memory
    Kingston PC6300 4 gig