Solved Now the trouble starts

Why would someone upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?
Aside from the (useless/annoying) Metro tile-fest, does Windows 8 have anything useful not found in Windows 7?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Aside from the (useless/annoying) Metro tile-fest, does Windows 8 have anything useful not found in Windows 7?
Well I guess it's a new toy, I ran the consumer preview on an aging desktop with no touch screen and hated as I did when I upgraded on my current machine from 7. The store didn't work, in fact nothing worked really until I did a clean install. But I am getting used to it although I must admit the metro screen is not exactly the most spell binding interface as far as looks are concerned, it does boot up and shut down incredibly quickly (under 25 seconds). So like I say a new toy to play about with !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire All-in-One
    CPU
    2.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire Z5600
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset
    Sound Card
    Realtech High Definition/Dolby Home Theater
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    500 GB
    Internet Speed
    72 Mbps
Hmmm.. It seems odd that the people that seem to dislike Windows 8 the most all like to brag about how they were using computers in the 50's or some such...

There can't be a correlation.... I'm probably just imagining it...

WHY do you feel it necessary to INSULT anyone here who dares not love Win8? Your first reply in this thread was to chastise someone for doing something routine -- upgrading to Win8?

Then, you try an age-based SLAM (to have used computers in the 50's, they would have to been born in the early 40's -- making them 70-something now) against anyone else who doesn't like Win8! You just dislike old people? Or, like other young folks, you think every old person just has to be stupid -- because they don't like something you do like?

Why can't you just accept that some folks simply don't like Win8 -- or maybe, they're OK witn Win8 but are having problems with it -- and that does not make them old or stupid?

My Computer

First I want to say that I am not a shill for Microsoft or Windows 8. I'm not trying to sell it to anyone or persuade. To each his own. Your question seems legitimate.

I bought Win 8 OEM because it came on my new computer.

I bought Win 8 pro in a store to upgrade from Win 7 so that my LAN computer #2 would function more effectively in the network. It did.

Windows 8 comes in several flavors. What it has is a touch gesture feature in addition to a mouse and keyboard application. The speed of light evolution of this discipline is breathtaking. The touch screen, touch pad features now are available in desk top monitors, laptop, tablets and notebooks.

The Win 8 installed in tablets and notebooks is NOT the complete version in Win 8 OEM. The Win 8 Pro upgrade on line is not the same version as Win 8 Pro bought in a store in a box with two discs 64 bit and 32 bit. The Win 8 commercial version not sold to home users is also different.

Things that are different in Win 8 are:

* Windows defender and firewall are significantly enhanced in Win 8. They were weak and vulnerable in Win 7.

* Win 8 is slimmer and lighter than Win 7. It is to work on a multitude of devices, desk tops, laptops, hybrids, tablets, notebooks.

* Incredibly fast when using SSD, 5 seconds. 3 second shut down.

* New lock screen and new log on procedure.

* Start menu replaced by start screen.

* Windows store.

* New Windows 8 apps.

* Internet Explorer 10.

* Log on to your Microsoft account.

* A new file explorer.

* Enhanced Windows Defender.

* A new task manager.

* Switch languages on the fly.

* Windows Media Center.

* File History.

* Enhanced parental control.

Windows 8 is used by home owners, kids, businesses, hospitals, manufacturers, governments, military, ---------------------

Some people like fine art, some just don't get it !

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
My only complaint is that I can't install it on my HP Compaq tc4200. :cry: I would have loved to be able to take advantage of its new features on it. But I understand that with progress comes sacrifices, lol like new driver implementations. Well at least I can get Windows 7 on the cheap now and install it and at least get some of the the great features that windows 8 has.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64 w/WMC
    Home Grown Computer/Build by Me.
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
    Motherboard
    Crosshair IV Formula 890FX
    Memory
    CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready
    Sound Card
    SupremesFX X-Fi Built-in
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362
    WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0
    Corsair Accelerator SSD
I'm glad for this:
First I want to say that I am not a shill for Microsoft or Windows 8. I'm not trying to sell it to anyone or persuade. To each his own. Your question seems legitimate. I bought Win 8 OEM because it came on my new computer.

Windows 8 comes in several flavors. What it has is a touch gesture feature in addition to a mouse and keyboard application. The speed of light evolution of this discipline is breathtaking. The touch screen, touch pad features now are available in desk top monitors, laptop, tablets and notebooks.
I don't own a touch screen. They're for phones and tablets. Anyway, with keyboard at hand, and mouse close by, why would I want to slow down and reach for the screen?

* Win 8 is slimmer and lighter than Win 7. It is to work on a multitude of devices, desk tops, laptops, hybrids, tablets, notebooks.
New MS operating systems don't get slimmer. They get fatter. It's built into their business model.

* Incredibly fast when using SSD, 5 seconds. 3 second shut down.
Hmm ... so can any O/S that can support SSD.

* Start menu replaced by start screen.
This is a major loss. Is there a way to get the start menu back?

* Internet Explorer 10.
I use Firefox, thinking about Chrome. Haven't used IE in most of a decade.

* Log on to your Microsoft account.
What's that?

* A new file explorer.
If it aint broke, count on Microsoft to fix it anyway.

* A new task manager.
Ditto.

* Switch languages on the fly.
I only speak one language.

* Windows Media Center.
Useless, ever since the Windows XP media center.

* File History.
???

* Enhanced parental control.

No children here anymore.

Summary: I'm really trying to see what's different in Win 8. So far, I can't find anything useful.

I guess that makes sense, though. Windows 8 must be Microsoft's re-entry in the the phone/tablet world. I guess it wasn't meant to be an upgrade for laptops/desktops.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
The good thing is that most every misinformed Windows 8 basher seems to find the exit by way of ban or expelled.

It won't be long for you ihorwrinkle. :party:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
Thanks for your various comments. I was not saying that Windows 8 is difficult to use. I had a whole year to figure it out and even produced a few tutorials on how to use it. Most are on my Youtube site.

The problems on hand her are just annoyances. The wallpaper problem went away once I had installed the Photo Gallery. The Netplwiz problem is still around - but only when I go back from sleep now. I guess I can live with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Ihornwinkle":

I spent a lifetime in sales and marketing, more than 50 Years. One convention was: The sale begins when the customer says NO !

But I'm not selling !

The impetus to move you is that you have only until the end of January 2013 to decide if you will buy Win 8 at US$66.05 at Costco or $69.95 at Staples. If you suffer buyers remorse Costco will reimburse you immediately, no questions asked, upon presentation of a receipt. After January 31, 2013 it's $199.95.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
Thanks for your various comments. I was not saying that Windows 8 is difficult to use. I had a whole year to figure it out and even produced a few tutorials on how to use it. Most are on my Youtube site.

The problems on hand her are just annoyances. The wallpaper problem went away once I had installed the Photo Gallery. The Netplwiz problem is still around - but only when I go back from sleep now. I guess I can live with it.

If the auto login isn't working when you resume from sleep, this is a power setting you need to change.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
The good thing is that most every misinformed Windows 8 basher seems to find the exit by way of ban or expelled.

It won't be long for you ihorwrinkle.
Clever, but irrelevant. I use nothing but Windows.

I'm not bashing Windows. I'm simply trying to find out whether Win 8 has anything worth getting. The reviews seem to say that it's just Win 7 with tiles, plus some rearrangement of things. If so, there's no reason to upgrade.

So I want to know whether that's true, or whether there really is something in there worth having. The other poster, above, pointed out a few things ... but I find these less than compelling. Still looking for more.

As for being banned or expelled ... who crowned you the king/lord/master? :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7

It won't be long for you ihorwrinkle.
Clever, but irrelevant. I use nothing but Windows.

I'm not bashing Windows. I'm simply trying to find out whether Win 8 has anything worth getting. The reviews seem to say that it's just Win 7 with tiles, plus some rearrangement of things. If so, there's no reason to upgrade.

So I want to know whether that's true, or whether there really is something in there worth having. The other poster, above, pointed out a few things ... but I find these less than compelling. Still looking for more.

As for being banned or expelled ... who crowned you the king/lord/master? :D
Windows 7 was just Windows vista with a bigger Taskbar, Libraries, and a prettier boot screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Yeah but didn't Vista just break all the time as I recall ? Thats why I went back to XP Pro !!!!
Just a thought
Ricky

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64bit
    Acer Aspire All-in-One
    CPU
    2.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire Z5600
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset
    Sound Card
    Realtech High Definition/Dolby Home Theater
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    500 GB
    Internet Speed
    72 Mbps
According to some people, vista SP2 was decent enough to use....so.....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

I'm using both Windows 7 and Windows 8 (I purchased two licences), and I'm still trying to work out whether to fully move across to Windows 8. At the moment, I don't find the transition compelling enough as, for the way I work, Windows 8 doesn't offer any substantial benefits and provides enough annoyances, or lack of flexibility (which I've noted previously), that I'm loathe to move across.

Oddly enough, I removed Windows 8 from my tablet and resumed using Windows 7, as Windows 8 is even less accommodating for my lower resolution tablet (ie not of sufficient native resolution), to run both apps and desktop in a visually pleasing way. Having an almost brand new tablet, I'm not going to buy a new one just to be able to use Windows 8, when I'm primarily in the desktop anyway. The licence is still there, should Windows 8 change sufficiently to make it worthwhile installing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
WHY do you feel it necessary to INSULT anyone here who dares not love Win8? Your first reply in this thread was to chastise someone for doing something routine -- upgrading to Win8?

First, it wasn't an insult. It was an observation. I'm not saying everyone who's been around for a long time hates Windows 8 (I started writing software on CDC cyber systems in the 70's) but it seems that many of the most vocal haters seem to be those that take great pride in their long history with computers. And my comment about the 50's was not to be taken literally. I was going to say the 1500's.. because I was being sarcastic.

Second, my first comment was that he's been around long enough in these forums to know how many problems people have with upgrade installs. To do an upgrade, despite knowing all those problems, and then complaining about problems that seem to come from doing an upgrade.. well, it seems irrational to me.

Why can't you just accept that some folks simply don't like Win8 -- or maybe, they're OK witn Win8 but are having problems with it -- and that does not make them old or stupid?

I do accept that people don't like Windows 8. What I take issue with is when people complain about it for invalid reasons, made-up reasons, or illogical reasons. I've said this many many times. If you don't like it, fine. But don't try and tell us it's because of reasons that are complete BS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Thanks Coke Robot. I'll have a look at that.

Update: didn't work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

It won't be long for you ihorwrinkle. :party:

I've noticed that members are allowed to be offensive/rude, as long as they are pro-W8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Thanks Coke Robot. I'll have a look at that.

Update: didn't work.
This is very odd. You did go to the advanced power settings dialog box right?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I just wasted $40 for a Windows 8 license and installed it with VMware. And the first two simple things I tried don't work.

1. When I wanted to use one of my own pictures as desktop background, it tells me that I do not have an application for that. Since when do we need applications to set a desktop background. It works neither from the picture directly nor thru Personalize.

2. I always automate my logins with Netplwiz. That is a hit and miss too. It works a couple of times, then I have to loging manually again (although the little box is still unchecked).

What a mess. All these functions worked in the prerelease versions. I knew I was wasting my money.

Wow what a waste, a full operating system for less than half the price of most good games:cry:

There was a guy on here a few days ago who said he found it exciting and challenging to find new ways of doing things, I feel exactly the same way, bit like an explorer or learning DOS the first time, but obviously you don't.
Young man, I have been around computers since 1958 and learned about 50 different operating systems - that was my job. A new OS does not scare me. I can tell a good OS from a marginal one and for right now Windows 8 is marginal in my book - at least for the desktop user.

:roflmao:
You go get him grandpa ... er, well, Dad!

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Back