New Windows Boss Confirms

You need a man size tool for a man size job.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Even Professional builders have a large array of tools in varying sizes. No good walking around the streets with a tower PC and a 27" monitor.
A lot of people these days carry a variety of gadgets and have PCs at home, surely Microsoft has got the right to try and get into this market.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Even Professional builders have a large array of tools in varying sizes. No good walking around the streets with a tower PC and a 27" monitor.
A lot of people these days carry a variety of gadgets and have PCs at home, surely Microsoft has got the right to try and get into this market.

LOL! I had a vision of SWI2 walking down the street with his PC on his shoulder like a boom box struttin' his stuff! :roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
If you ever bothered to read the thread ...

Chrisa seems to be an 8 supporter - shock horror, I am agreeing with him on this point.

Chrisa

Thats fine, just don't try to claim it can do ALL the same things as that which sits in a tower

SIW2

Bill

What has that go to do with the quote. Nowhere does it say people do not have different devices - nowhere does it say MS has no right to try and get into that market.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Chrisa seems to be an 8 supporter.

Very much so.

But keep in mind that even being a runner of Windows going on 20 years now and doing Windows Programming for Work(so i'm not exactly an objective observer, but who is? :>), that only happened as of like a couple weeks ago. Until the Surface Pro, I would have told you to stick 8 where the sun doesn't shine and that I would never buy it, much less install it. It really is the Surface Pro, and that alone, that has made me do a 180 on Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Do you have a surface pro?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
It really is the Surface Pro, and that alone, that has made me do a 180 on Windows 8.

Maybe it would do the same for me. If Stevie B is reading this - he is welcome to send me one. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Well the start menu not coming back is fine for me as long as they make a suitable replacement or adjustments to fix user experience issues. The start screen is not suitable for a replacement of the directory that was the start menu. It manages to make looking through stuff more of a hassle. Looking horizontally is not as easy on the eyes. Also on the menu the text they use makes it hard to see what it is that the box they are clicking on is. Overall they don't need to add back the start menu as long as they can fix issues that it creates now that it is missing.

My Computer

Chrisa seems to be an 8 supporter.

Very much so.

But keep in mind that even being a runner of Windows going on 20 years now and doing Windows Programming for Work(so i'm not exactly an objective observer, but who is? :>), that only happened as of like a couple weeks ago. Until the Surface Pro, I would have told you to stick 8 where the sun doesn't shine and that I would never buy it, much less install it. It really is the Surface Pro, and that alone, that has made me do a 180 on Windows 8.
Well see that's where we differ, I've been able to see where Microsoft has been heading since the first Windows 8 preview, maybe because I'm into all kinds of tech I don't know.
Not necessarily the Pro, but all kinds of tablets and convertibles, this is unreal stuff, we're talking a full computer in tablet form. All kinds of sizes from 7" to 20" and more. I cant believe that people aren't shouting from the rooftops, well they are but they're calling for Microsoft's scalp, weird hey.
Wouldn't everybody be happy to see Apple put back where they belong.

Who cares what's in a tower that's so yesterday, kidding folks, it's not going away any time soon, but it will dwindle partly because of Moore's Law and partly because you don't need a Tower to go on Facebook and Instagram.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Well the start menu not coming back is fine for me as long as they make a suitable replacement or adjustments to fix user experience issues. The start screen is not suitable for a replacement of the directory that was the start menu. It manages to make looking through stuff more of a hassle. Looking horizontally is not as easy on the eyes. Also on the menu the text they use makes it hard to see what it is that the box they are clicking on is. Overall they don't need to add back the start menu as long as they can fix issues that it creates now that it is missing.
Make different groups for the tiles like Media, Tools etc, and All Apps is pretty handy, or just type what you're looking for,but yeah there could be a few improvements. I wouldn't mind seeing folders.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Many users of Windows 8 still don't get that the beauty of the start screen is multi layered access to installed and system programs by pressing any alphanumeric key when looking at the start screen.

It is not necessary to litter the start screen with 70 to 100 tiles. All one need do is press a key and most any related installed or system programs are displayed. In addition, shortcuts for non installed programs and web sites can be added from within folders that are added to the program data start menu system folder.

That aside, there are now dozens of traditional start menus available and many completely defang the metro.
I find it easier to press a key and execute a listed program than navigate a nested menu.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

n.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
You have a Surface Pro and you left the keyboard at home now what. We are suppose to have a GUI not command line.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
You have a Surface Pro and you left the keyboard at home now what. We are suppose to have a GUI not command line.

Hello. I don't have a tablet but I think they have an integrated onscreen touch keyboard. I think it would be fairly useless without some form of a keyboard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
My point is you should not need a keyboard to fine a program it should be organized to be easy to find without a search.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

If you were referring to using a keyboard at the start screen and suggesting it is like entering text at a command prompt, pressing 1 or a few keys, the movement arrow, and pressing enter is a rather simple process.

One can prefer a start menu, that is ok, I simply find the 8 approach a refreshing improvement on tradition.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
My point is you should not need a keyboard to find a program it should be organized to be easy to find without a search.

I see, I know... You will need either a mouse or keyboard to navigate a start menu in any event.

That said, I don't see pressing a hot key to be akin to searching. Accessing listed programs is the same as clicking an icon or rolling thru layers of cascading.

If you follow a mouse movement up from the orb to a nest, then go inside another nest to seek the executable, that is a search as well.

If you have 40 icons on your desktop, one has to search the desktop (with a mouse or keyboard) to find and execute the right icon.

If you have something pinned to the start menu or task bar, you still have to move your eyes and mouse or keyboard to find and execute the link.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
You go to a store and buy a keyboard and mouse, a 27" Monitor with a cable to attach to the Surface, set it up on the footpath, type in 3rd party Start Menu, install it, use your mouse to open the Start Menu spend 5 minutes going through the cascades and click on what you're looking for.

Go to a store buy a suitcase so you can carry all the stuff back home again, easy.

Or you can just use the onscreen keyboard, whatever floats your boat.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Many users of Windows 8 still don't get that the beauty of the start screen is multi layered access to installed and system programs by pressing any alphanumeric key when looking at the start screen.

It is not necessary to litter the start screen with 70 to 100 tiles. All one need do is press a key and most any related installed or system programs are displayed. In addition, shortcuts for non installed programs and web sites can be added from within folders that are added to the program data start menu system folder.

That aside, there are now dozens of traditional start menus available and many completely defang the metro.
I find it easier to press a key and execute a listed program than navigate a nested menu.

View attachment 17991

View attachment 17992

View attachment 17993

View attachment 17994

View attachment 17995

I agree with you 110%.
With the old start menu if there too many items on the start menu we had to hover the mouse at the top and bottom while the system scrolled up and down.
With this new start menu we pin our most used programs to the start screen. Just like Vista or 7, we can type a letter and the appropriate tiles will be brought to our attention.
This in my opinion is the best taskbar shortcut. I never have to rightclick the desktop & All apps or type a letter to view all programs "Search Apps" Shortcut - Create in Windows 8

Seems noone remembers XP being the equivalent of 8 today. Until people started using 3rd party apps to customize it like Tweak UI etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)