My Windows 9 predictions IF Windows 8 is a success...

Oh, thought of one. If the Desktop does remain in use with Windows 9, right click context menu will probably see an imminent lack of use. I just thought right now that developers, instead of adding context menu entries, they can add those entries onto the Ribbon in Explorer.

Cokie,

How much possibility you think about the desktop remaining in Windows 9 or 10? Too much or too little? :think:

Though the question was for Cokie, I am giving my opinion on this.

There is too much possibility, in fact, I am certain that desktop will be a (essential) part of Windows 9 or 10.

Metro has its purposes and desktop its own. Metro (as it is now) can't serve the purposes of the desktop. For serious work, Metro is probably nightmare. Metro apps would be like the android or iOS apps that we use today. On the other hand, Metro provides an easy to use interface on touch devices that the desktop can't.

Microsoft has tried to blend touch and conventional devices in W8. This OS is aimed at the new hybrid devices that are coming up in the market i.e. the laptops with detachable touch display that can function as a tablet. Or, tablets with attachable keyboards which can function like laptops.

It would have been better if Microsoft hadn't named it "Windows 8". Windows Metro or something similar would have been better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
well windows 8 is growing on me, but come on guys and gals isn't that the challenge of a new op system, to get it working on an everyday environment, you can only do so much in the lab before doing a field test, and do you suppose any of the previous op systems didn't have their problems in the start

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 32 bit
    Hp G72 B01 sa
    CPU
    320 gig hard, 4 gig ram. p6100 proc
I agree with that Paul.

It is reminding me more and more of Vista.

Vista was not well received. For many people there were a lot of major annoyances. It did not sell well. ( I liked it personally , but that is not relevant)

Those annoyances were fixed with win7.

I expect the same will happen with win8.

The next o/s - or some kind of major correction will be released to fix it.

As I have been saying for some time - we probabaly won't have to wait 3yrs for that. 1 yr is possible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
yes I agree about a year, always got on with vista myself as well, but I think the only problem with vista was to many controls left to the casual user, controls you need to leave the hell alone if you don't know what you are doing

I did put xp on the other computer for a laugh to remind myself of what it was like, and when I put vista back on I hugged the laptop, is that very sad of me, lol

Anyway I continue to use vista on the other 2 and windows 8 on this one

anyway I applaud Microsoft for trying something new, all the others vary only in performance from xp upwards, and while its true about it being useless to try and re-invent the wheel its nice to have new tyres and rims, and maybe better quality rubber to reduce wear, and make punctures less likely, but you still want it to be round, I think this is windows 8

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 32 bit
    Hp G72 B01 sa
    CPU
    320 gig hard, 4 gig ram. p6100 proc
Seems Like an Abuse To Microsoft..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Triple Boot: Windows Xp, Windows 7 and Windows Release Preview, Virtual Machine ( Windows 8 )
    Acer
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio Hardware
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Sony LED Monitor (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    500 GB Western HDD (3) 1 TB Buffalo HDD (2)
    Keyboard
    Samsung
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    52 Mbps
we probably won't have to wait 3yrs for that. 1 yr is possible.

I dunno if you guys seen it, but there was an article within the last week-2 weeks, claiming that the next Windows is going to be out within a year or so. I think it had ties to the Zukona person or where they're from etc....something like that along those lines.

Man this stuff is all by design as a business model.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7, 8 whatever

I dunno if you guys seen it, but there was an article within the last week-2 weeks, claiming that the next Windows is going to be out within a year or so. I think it had ties to the Zukona person or where they're from etc....something like that along those lines.

It sure is now. It used to be that you made a great product that people would want to use and it would sell well. MS has completely turned around and is creating a product for their already majority market share that is designed to do nothing but increase their revenue with scant benefit to a small number of their users.

MS has completely changed horses with Windows 8. Sure they were concerned about profit before and possibly at some small inconvenience to the user over all. But today it's whatever the heck will gain every red cent from every available avenue now!

Have you seen their new in-app microft advertising services and development page? (Of which they have made heavy use already in the almost unusable music app) Microsoft Advertising Platform

Windows 8 is the new mass market advertising blitz platform. Hold on to your hats!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8

It sure is now. It used to be that you made a great product that people would want to use and it would sell well. MS has completely turned around and is creating a product for their already majority market share that is designed to do nothing but increase their revenue with scant benefit to a small number of their users.

MS has completely changed horses with Windows 8. Sure they were concerned about profit before and possibly at some small inconvenience to the user over all. But today it's whatever the heck will gain every red cent from every available avenue now!

Have you seen their new in-app microft advertising services and development page? (Of which they have made heavy use already in the almost unusable music app) Microsoft Advertising Platform

Windows 8 is the new mass market advertising blitz platform. Hold on to your hats!

I hear the rumors too..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Triple Boot: Windows Xp, Windows 7 and Windows Release Preview, Virtual Machine ( Windows 8 )
    Acer
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio Hardware
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Sony LED Monitor (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    500 GB Western HDD (3) 1 TB Buffalo HDD (2)
    Keyboard
    Samsung
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    52 Mbps
I'm not even thinking of Windows 9, I want to see what Windows 7 SP2 will look like.

Jim :p

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! Good one Jim!

Some people are even attempting a sort of XP SP4 !!!. I'm sure when even the rest of the world has forgotten what a physical computer even looks like (we'll all be using built in biological ones and have mobile phones implanted into our ears) there will be at least ONE person with a computer still running XP.

As for Internet and online advertising -- It seems to be HUGE business but I just usually ignore any advertising when I'm online and I can't say I've ever bought a single item impulsively because of something that's flashed up on a screen while I'm working. Most of my colleagues feel the same way so where is the revenue stream being generated or do people actually WATCH the adverts.

In fact too much advertising - then I go elsewhere -- I can't personally watch some televised sports these days because the entire pitch is covered with sponsors logos repeatedly changing colours, flashing slogans etc and totally distracting the viewer from the game -- that's where I walk out and actually note NOT to do business with those sponsors if I can avoid it.

(Thank goodness for Old fashioned "Steam Radio" --- especially with zillions of stations online -- beats TV hands down these days and usually commercial free as well).

cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB