My Windows 9 predictions IF Windows 8 is a success...

icet, NOT saying what direction they are taking Windows in, just stated it is very similar to Windows 8 Metro interfaced. And after you watched that clip you will agree with me regarding that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
If Windows 8 is a success and consumers give Microsoft the green light to keep going this direction, here are some things we can look forward to in Windows 9.

-No more separate Home/Pro/RT versions. Just one Windows 9 for everybody for simplicity
-All applications run full screen
-Complete removal of the desktop and Windows Explorer
-Removal of multitasking capability
-Removal of support for optical or removable media; Can no longer install software off CD/DVD
-All programs downloaded as apps from Microsoft store; no other option for installing software onto Windows 9
-Removal of DirectX and 3D graphics support
-Removal of support for sound greater than 2 speakers/headphones
-Removal of cmd
-All websites default to mobile websites, even on desktop PCs
-3 months free Microsoft Movies subscription, Microsoft's attempt to take on Netflix/Hulu
-On-screen keyboard required, even on a desktop or laptop. You can use the mouse to type, or you can download an illegal hack to enable a traditional keyboard

Is this what everybody wants to see? If not, Boycott Windows 8!

There is actually a lot of truth in this and I for one WILL NEVER use Windows 8. It's total garbage in my opinion. I'm disgusted by it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate
icet, NOT saying what direction they are taking Windows in, just stated it is very similar to Windows 8 Metro interfaced. And after you watched that clip you will agree with me regarding that.

I agree that its very similar to Windows 8 Metro interface. And just now I thought that even if they replace desktop with metro interface, they would not do that without giving any considerations. They would take a long time researching and thinking in order to make sure that the Metro interface works systematically and flawlessly as an alternative to desktop and user could do everything they can do on the desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Release Preview evaluation 8400 x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell N 5040
    CPU
    Intel CORE i3
    Memory
    4 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    its a laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    600 GB
    Internet Speed
    cable modem
Complete removal of the desktop and Windows Explorer

Then it would be a phone - without calling ability.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Oh no! Not that Hippie guy with his crazy ideas again! We know he's smoked too much of that homegrown stuff!

Well, I'm here to tell ya', I didn't inhale!! :p

=beedubaya;106347]If Windows 8 is a success and consumers give Microsoft the green light to keep going this direction, here are some things we can look forward to in Windows 9.

-No more separate Home/Pro/RT versions. Just one Windows 9 for everybody for simplicity

Sounds Good! Keeps with the old antage, "Keep it simple, Stupid".

Nope! Won't do the job at all! Snap half/half for dual panes. Two quarter panes and 1/2 pane. Quarter/quarter/quarter/quarter for quad panes. 5, 6, 7, up to a zillion panes if one has a monitor large enough. This will also be performed in multiple monitors with multiple panes if need be. The options/possibilities will be endless.

Not only that, but one will be able to navigate to any pane to work within that pane or monitor to work there. e.g. -> This will be so that one may have email open in one to keep an eye on or work within, a calendar in one, a clock in one, a browser or two open in others, doing work in a CAD app in another or in another full monitor screen, translating in another 4, 5, 6, etc. panes, and so on.

My last statement means bye-bye to the desktop. No need for it anymore. Windows Explorer will stay for file organization. Move, copy, delete, organize folders/libraries, etc. Perhaps limited, though, so one cannot see the Windows files.

BeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeP! Sorry, wrong answer!

-Removal of support for optical or removable media; Can no longer install software off CD/DVD

I don't think so. Not all people on the planet have access to the internet to download software. One may order by phone or mail to install. Besides, what if one wants to watch a flick, listen to music, create a disc to play in their car or elsewhere, etc.

-All programs downloaded as apps from Microsoft store; no other option for installing software onto Windows 9

Sorry, Dave. I can't let you do that. (2001: A Space Odyssey) Again, not all have access to the Internet. Repeat options above. All software will eventually be written in the M$ app interface. No more 3rd party legacy programs unless written this way and purchased through the store, mail, or by phone.

-Removal of cmd

I think this is getting a little carried away with these four points. It won't be that limited.

-3 months free Microsoft Movies subscription, Microsoft's attempt to take on Netflix/Hulu

Good idea! It sounds to be a money maker for them since they are in a business.

-On-screen keyboard required, even on a desktop or laptop. You can use the mouse to type, or you can download an illegal hack to enable a traditional keyboard

Sorry, Dave. Can't let you do that either. Again, it won't be that limited. Optional On-screen keyboard just as we have here in RP. The Surface points to a traditional keyboard. There eventually will be a new peripheral that will replace the traditional keyboard. It will have a keyboard option plus others. I would like to tell you more of my idea, but I would have to....well, you know the warning. :p

Kill the mice before they multiply all over the house! We will be using a stylus. Don't forget voice commands, for that's not a dead means, like on our smart phones.

I will, for one be, upgrading.

Coke Robot
This sounds absurd and almost falls into the definition of propaganda....

But I'm interested, as Windows 9 is now the next thing that will come out. I want to make predictions too!

-Further Start Screen customizations
-IE 11
-Possibly the removal of the Desktop IF a large chunk of developers have built or are building RT apps from their Desktop app counterparts, or maybe the Desktop in the Server 2015 build or for Enterprise
-Office 2015 in full WinRT code
-More emphasis on the metro design, maybe some transparency, FULL metro iconography
-Maybe some windowing of the apps
-Better app snap, like active resize to allow the user to snap apps together, and change the size of one to whatever and the corresponding app reduces down in size
-DirectX 12
-FASTER!​

Of course, I agree with all here. Nice list, Cokie! :thumb:

I've seen a lot of change in my day. I'll see a lot more. Drastic changes leading to easier, more simple computing. In the documentary "The Machine That Changed The World" one stated that if the automobile industry changed as fast as computers did, our cars would get 100 MPG and travel at mach speeds.

I suggest to all to go with the flow like a river to the ocean, or get left behind.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

Not so. I'll extrapolate from my end. Windows Explorer is an application ran in the Desktop. The removal of it would be the last straw in the removal of the Desktop UI, but Explorer will most likely be moved into the metro/RT environment.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Not so. I'll extrapolate from my end. Windows Explorer is an application ran in the Desktop. The removal of it would be the last straw in the removal of the Desktop UI, but Explorer will most likely be moved into the metro/RT environment.

Yes it will part of the metro/RT environment. WinKey/E or metro tile will open it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
If Windows 8 is a success and consumers give Microsoft the green light to keep going this direction, here are some things we can look forward to in Windows 9.

Before I express my opinions on the list, I have one thing to say:

Before Windows 7 was released, if you had said this
If Windows 7 is a success and consumers give Microsoft the green light to keep going this direction, here are some things we can look forward to in Windows 8.
and made a list like you have, how many of your predictions do you think would have been anywhere near what Windows 8 is actually going to be? I have no idea how you could have predicted that Windows 8 was going to feature a Start Screen instead of a Start menu, the Metro UI was going to be introduced etc etc. I don't know why and how can you make predictions from such an early time. By the time Windows 9 is released, another new interface called "Flex" might be introduced, then?? GOD knows !!! :think: So, there is no point of thinking that further now.

Any way, here is what I feel about the list you have made:
That would be great :thumbsup:

No, that may not happen.
No, I am quite sure, this won't be happening either.
NO
This might happen in the future but not in coming 3-4 years.
Not in Windows 9
No way.
Don't know how you predicted that.
-Removal of cmd
I can't comment on this. Proboably not. The interface might be changed but not cmd.
What do you mean by this? "Even on desktop PCs"? If windows 9 is regarded as a desktop OS then, it will open pages in desktop mode, if regarded as a mobile OS then will open pages in mobile mode.

This statement of yours doesn't make sense to me.
That may happen, whats wrong with that?
NO
WHAT??

:shock: I was under the impression that you were making "predictions"!!!
You are asking people to boycott Windows 8 on the basis of some "predictions" on (that too) Windows 9 made by you?? :shock: This is .... well, I don't want to comment something that gets me kicked out of the forums ;)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
I'm not even thinking of Windows 9, I want to see what Windows 7 SP2 will look like.

Jim :p

Hi there
Got some bad news for you I'm afraid.

W7 Sp2 was delayed (perhaps indefinitely) to facilitate launching of W8.

However don't give up -- look at XP --Ms finally released an excellent SP3 service pack --even though they insisted that XP would be dead and buried at the time (now it's STILL available for support for about another year !!). I'm sure W7 will have service packs --Any serious BUSINESS or corporation trying to use W8 will just be PLAIN STUPID BONKERS.

Home use is another thing -- but just imagine loads of I.T support people trying to sort out simple navigation problems with W8 --especially when someone gets stuck in a Metro screen without any idea how to get back to the desktop.

People on these Forums are reasonably computer literate - but try and imagine a typical office where people are doing say basic HR, Accounts payable and Accounts receivable.

A 30 - 60 minute "Telephone Hell Call center" operation to an off shored facility say India or The Philippines won't endear the system to users either - navigating automatic telephone call center stuff is almost as bad as the W8 problem they would be trying to fix.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Speaking of service packs, I predict the end of those. If you look at the past with Windows, it used to be that an OS would have several SPs. There were several for 95 (though they weren't called that, and it wasn't online I believe), 98 even had a 2.0 version, 2000 had some, xp had three, vista has had two, 7 has one so far, and now we're at 8. I bet instead of the normal service packs where it's just fixing a bunch of code errors and not much else, there might even be UI enhancements here and there, like maybe Windows 8.5? Microsoft might keep Windows development at two year intervals as to keep the product line fresh and to keep it in sync with Windows Phone. So yeah, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, then a year later Windows 8.5 and WP 8.5, then a year later Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
No worries, I'll just use Windows 7 and switch to Mac later on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RP x64
    Sony Vaio
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon
    Sound Card
    Unknown but okay
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ??
    Screen Resolution
    Internet Speed
    slow
jyroo0 and then use Windows 8 on that Mac eh? YOU were aware Apple isn't in the operating system game anymore, RIGHT?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
jyroo0 and then use Windows 8 on that Mac eh? YOU were aware Apple isn't in the operating system game anymore, RIGHT?

May be Apple would be the first company to say goodbye to their desktop PCs which they call Macs. But its possible that Apple may wish to milk its desktop operating system by licensing it to OEMs and enthsuasts/hobbyists who wish to continue with the desktop/laptop PCs. People would be glad to use OS X on their machines and it would be a good opportunity for OEMs as well.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7

Sorry, I meant "If Windows 9 is something like that, I would use mac"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RP x64
    Sony Vaio
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon
    Sound Card
    Unknown but okay
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ??
    Screen Resolution
    Internet Speed
    slow
Speaking of service packs, I predict the end of those. If you look at the past with Windows, it used to be that an OS would have several SPs. There were several for 95 (though they weren't called that, and it wasn't online I believe), 98 even had a 2.0 version, 2000 had some, xp had three, vista has had two, 7 has one so far, and now we're at 8. I bet instead of the normal service packs where it's just fixing a bunch of code errors and not much else, there might even be UI enhancements here and there, like maybe Windows 8.5? Microsoft might keep Windows development at two year intervals as to keep the product line fresh and to keep it in sync with Windows Phone. So yeah, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, then a year later Windows 8.5 and WP 8.5, then a year later Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9.

I will disagree. SP1 for Windows 7 had nearly 200 updates and Hot Fixes. Less then half were offered through Windows Update. There have been 120+ updates since SP1 and who knows how many Hot Fixes. With the predicted failure of Windows 8 and support for Windows 7 for 8 more years (2020) we should see at least SP2 and maybe SP3 depending on how many more security updates are needed. With support for XP going away and customers upgrading to Windows 7 instead of Windows 8, I look for Windows 7 SP2 to come out soon to make the transfer to Windows 7 a lot easier.

Jim :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS - Home Built
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    Crucial Balistic DDR-3 1866 CL 9 (8 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI R6850 Cyclone IGD5 PE
    Sound Card
    On Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS VE258Q 25" LED with DVI-HDMI-DisplayPort
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Two WD Cavier Black 2TB Sata 6gbs
    WD My Book Essential 2TB USB 3.0
    PSU
    Seasonic X650 80 Plus GOLD Modular
    Case
    Corsair 400R
    Cooling
    Antec Kuhler H2O 620, Two 120mm and four 140mm
    Keyboard
    AVS Gear Blue LED Backlight
    Mouse
    Logitech Marble Mouse USB, Logitech Precision Game Pad
    Internet Speed
    15MB
    Antivirus
    NIS, Malwarebytes Premium 2
    Other Info
    APC UPS ES 750, Netgear WNR3500L Gigabit & Wireless N Router with SamKnows Test Program,
    Motorola SB6120 Gigabit Cable Modem.
    Brother HL-2170W Laser Printer,
    Epson V300 Scanner
Speaking of service packs, I predict the end of those.
Well, if you are going to push out all new versions every 3 years, you won't see many service packs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Oh, thought of one. If the Desktop does remain in use with Windows 9, right click context menu will probably see an imminent lack of use. I just thought right now that developers, instead of adding context menu entries, they can add those entries onto the Ribbon in Explorer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Oh, thought of one. If the Desktop does remain in use with Windows 9, right click context menu will probably see an imminent lack of use. I just thought right now that developers, instead of adding context menu entries, they can add those entries onto the Ribbon in Explorer.

Cokie,

How much possibility you think about the desktop remaining in Windows 9 or 10? Too much or too little? :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Back