Microsoft wants you to forget Windows 8

Computerworld - As talk of the next Windows begins to build and some details of what most are calling for now either Windows 9 or Threshold come into focus, it's worthwhile to take a moment to remember Windows 8.

Because Microsoft will want everyone to forget it. And we will.
Unless the Redmond, Wash. technology company radically changes its habits, it will throw Windows 8 down a memory hole even before the successor ships. Just like it made Vista persona non grata in its official messaging in 2009, it will shove Windows 8 so far into the background that we'll need the Hubble telescope to find it.
More

Or it could be the fact that piracy is digital theft... ;)

Not that I'm saying one way or another.

Well, there is many facts, but it doesnt change anything. The fact is, humanity will be destroyed, the question is, how long this circus will go on before it will happen. Oh, almost forgot, humanity is all about fair business, they are so perfect, that the biggest crime in this perfect world is overdue library books, http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.835951-U-K-Teen-Buys-735-Photo-of-Xbox-One-on-eBay .
*Sarcasm ends*

I am fully capable myself of defining what is good and what is bad, and where to draw the line, i dont need some corupted, out of date, buggy and rotten law to tell me what i cant do or what i can.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7 x64
If nothing else one of those sector by sector disk clone utilities should do it if booted from its own media and the entire physical drive is saved. At least I can't think why it wouldn't. (Only talking destructive overwrite of entire drive on restore here.)

Hi there

You can restore the WHOLE disk of course-- so long as the GPT GUIDS were written (or Sector 0 and the MBR for an MBR HDD). The partitions are differently organised of course so restoring an individual partition to a differently formatted HDD is not easily possible. The whole partition setup (and hence partition tables and the boot sector are different).

If you use something like Acronis you can mount the backup image with Windows / File explorer and access the files on it so if it's a data partition (rather than the OS) you can use Windows to retrieve any set of directories or files from the image and write to another HDD (simply Cut and Paste).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
For me it is not only "free" or "cheap" or "expencive" when I will be thinking about Windows 9, but how much Win9 is clouded. Some rumors state that the smallest version of windows 9 will only run online. I don't want that, for free or even if MS want to pay me for using it!!!

I guess I will just wait and see (like many other people) when (and if) there will be a preview version of windows 9. Until then I'm back at windows 7 SP1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3570K @4,4Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77A GD65
    Memory
    16Gbyte DDR3 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX770 lightning
    Sound Card
    Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ BL2411
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840EVO 240Gbyte, Samsung 830 256Gbyte SSD, Seagate 4TB , Western Digital black edition 1,5Tbyte
    PSU
    Zalman ZM850 HP
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 500R
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    60/60mbit fiber
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender total security
Bill Gates only makes 25 million a day, poor *******. Did you see where Microsoft laid off 18,000 a couple weeks ago? Thay say have a total of 80,000 workers. Thanks Chuck

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire S3-391
    Motherboard
    4 gigs
    Browser
    Google
    Antivirus
    Windows Dender
It was a shock for me moving to 8. Was none to pleased that when I first turned it on, I had to create a Microsoft ID.
You don't need to create/use a MS ID. There is the option when installing or first using Windows 8 to use a local account (similar to previous windows versions). I don't have a MS ID, and don't plan on ever getting one, and my Win 8 works perfectly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Bill Gates only makes 25 million a day, poor *******. Did you see where Microsoft laid off 18,000 a couple weeks ago? Thay say have a total of 80,000 workers. Thanks Chuck

Hi there - I don't think Bill Gates is at all bad -- he doesn't do much if anything with Ms these days and the Gates Foundation gives more money to 3rd world and other charities etc than almost any other organisation on Earth - in fact BIGGER than a lot of entire countries do.

Ms and Windows has bought computing available to almost everbody at comparitavely cheap prices - just imagine most businesses wiithout PC's or only having access to incredibly exensive Mainframes -- we've actually all benefited enormously either directly or indirectly from Ms in the past.

If people want to sprout this type of typical "Agitprop" (Now there's a 1960's term !!), or rent a mob type of Left Wing rubbish - please get your facts correct and blame the PROPER people.

Of course people have legitimate concerns with the way Ms appears to be moving in future such as Cloud and subscription services but so far we don't have any evidence to suggest that Windows 9 will be a subscription or Cloud based OS.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
:Ditto: jimbo45:thumbup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Update x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion 15
    CPU
    Haswell Core i5 4200U
    Memory
    8GB Dual-Channel DDR3L @1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4400 Integrated; 2GB Dedicated NVIDIA GT 740M
    Hard Drives
    500GB Samsung 840 EVO Internal SSD ;
    2TB WD MyPassport Ultra EHDD ;
    1TB TOSHIBA HDD
    Cooling
    Deepcool X6
    Mouse
    Logitech B175 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    10 Mbps
    Browser
    Opera v25.0
    Antivirus
    KIS 2014
    Other Info
    Microsoft Wired Xbox 360 Controller
Without M$ we would be all stuck with Macintosh and Apple's price gouging for HW, horrendous worker exploitation (that's not Agitprop).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Without M$ we would be all stuck with Macintosh and Apple's price gouging for HW, horrendous worker exploitation (that's not Agitprop).

Actually without Ms there might not even BE an Apple corporation -- or it would probably be simply a hardware music / phone manufacturer - very much smaller than today -- remember Steve Jobs was purely focused on Ipods in the beginning - he didn't want VIDEO at all. Of course with phones and the advent of mico sdHC cards who needs an Ipod any more -- 64GB of music on a phone is more than sufficient even for people who seem to be attached to their bud earphones 24 hrs a day.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Actually without Ms there might not even BE an Apple corporation -- or it would probably be simply a hardware music / phone manufacturer - very much smaller than today -- remember Steve Jobs was purely focused on Ipods in the beginning - he didn't want VIDEO at all. Of course with phones and the advent of mico sdHC cards who needs an Ipod any more -- 64GB of music on a phone is more than sufficient even for people who seem to be attached to their bud earphones 24 hrs a day.

Cheers
jimbo
Yes, I also forgot to mention that Apple was working closely with MS for long time. Good part of coding and programs like Office were done by MS, not to forget GUIs that came from same source at the beginning.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
jimbo 45, I can tell you, disagree with what I say about Bill Gates. I know he donates a lot of $$$ but the 25 million he,s making a day, he can do that, and has to donate a lot. He pays no taxes on any donation. I realize he don't do much with MS anymore, he don't have to. For Microsoft to lay off 18,000 is crazy . Some of them people live pay check to pay check iam sure. Does Bill Gates care at all. A little but not much, he will still get his million,s while some get nothing but unemployment. Listen iam no computer expert at all, matter of fact I don't know much all about these computer,s. That's why iam allways asking questions on here.
Thank,s Chuck

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire S3-391
    Motherboard
    4 gigs
    Browser
    Google
    Antivirus
    Windows Dender
It is not just Microsoft moving services to the cloud. Let's see, gmail is in the cloud. ITunes is on the cloud. Kindle books are in the cloud. Moving to the cloud isn't a trait just from MS that should be considered universally bad.

As far as layoffs go, it's something all companies do. With acquisitions come redundancy that has to be dealt with. Sales dwindle as alternative devices from other vendors gain substantial traction.

One can argue that executives are never worth what they are paid, but obviously these companies hire them and keep them on board, so somebody must be see their value.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
awsome site

Iam glad I found this site

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire S3-391
    Motherboard
    4 gigs
    Browser
    Google
    Antivirus
    Windows Dender
You don't need to create/use a MS ID. There is the option when installing or first using Windows 8 to use a local account (similar to previous windows versions). I don't have a MS ID, and don't plan on ever getting one, and my Win 8 works perfectly.
To late now, I didn't know at the time. My XP box died a year before support ended. So, I had no time to research.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP h8 envy 1534
    CPU
    AMD FX-6200 (3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    M3970AM-HP (Angelica2) (Gigabyte)
    Memory
    10GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Kaskersky Internet Security 2016
To late now, I didn't know at the time. My XP box died a year before support ended. So, I had no time to research.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4842-local-account-switch-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.0 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba Satelite C55D-A Laptop
    CPU
    AMD EI 1200
    Memory
    4 gb DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Raedon 340 MB dedicated Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built in
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    640 GB (spinner) Sata II
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touch pad
I feel pity for the many millions of Windows 8 new users ,who will feel dismayed with the new Windiws8
But will learn as u go day by day.
But there is no other providers who they can go to for clarifications
Or easier learning of windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
One can argue that executives are never worth what they are paid, but obviously these companies hire them and keep them on board, so somebody must be see their value.
Their mates from the "Old Boys Club".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Back