Microsoft: That Windows 8 “New Coke” Analogy Is Silly

May 12, 2013 at 3:14 am PT

Will the launch of Microsoft’s forthcoming update to Windows 8 next month be the company’s “New Coke” moment? Is its rumored plan to revive the traditional “Start” button it killed when it debuted Windows 8 a massive and humiliating reversal of course, following an ill-conceived reimagining of the company’s flagship product?

Not according to Microsoft.

According to Microsoft, Windows 8 is a good product that’s steadily improving, and recent suggestions by the media that it is turning into a “New Coke”-style disaster are pure sensationalism. And in an unusual company blog bost, Frank Shaw, Microsoft’s VP of corporate communications, dismissed them as exactly that, suggesting they favored “hyperbole” over “nuanced analysis.”

“Windows 8 is a good product, and it’s getting better every day,” Shaw wrote. “Unlike a can of soda, a computer operating system offers different experiences to different customers to meet different needs, while still moving the entire industry toward an exciting future of touch, mobility, and seamless, cross-device experiences.”
Microsoft Responds to Windows 8 Critics - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD

What cant you do?
I need to be able to see multiple windows at the same time. I can't do that with any Metro app.

For instance a few weeks ago I was trying to extract travel details from a web page and create a Calendar item. Not being able to see both at once, but instead have to keep switching from one to another was hugely unproductive.

I know there is such a thing as "Snap" but:
(a) it doesn't give nearly enough control on the window size and shape (eg. I spend a lot of time looking at a few rows on a spreadsheet and another matching set of rows in a database at the same time, which means I need to arrange the windows horizontally rather than vertically) and
(b) it doesn't work on my laptop anyway, even though the screen size is perfectly adequate for viewing multiple desktop windows, it hasn't enough horizontal pixels.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
What cant you do?
I need to be able to see multiple windows at the same time. I can't do that with any Metro app.

For instance a few weeks ago I was trying to extract travel details from a web page and create a Calendar item. Not being able to see both at once, but instead have to keep switching from one to another was hugely unproductive.

I know there is such a thing as "Snap" but:
(a) it doesn't give nearly enough control on the window size and shape (eg. I spend a lot of time looking at a few rows on a spreadsheet and another matching set of rows in a database at the same time, which means I need to arrange the windows horizontally rather than vertically) and
(b) it doesn't work on my laptop anyway, even though the screen size is perfectly adequate for viewing multiple desktop windows, it hasn't enough horizontal pixels.

Easily done:

ModernMix™ - Run Modern (Metro) apps in a window on your desktop with ModernMix™

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
How can one use their pc as a modern recording studio in modern metro? Or edit video?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Viewing through Windows 7, me like-a-discuss 8 though
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Make-A-Meself
    CPU
    Electrons flow to, through and out of it
    Motherboard
    It has a wire, very small, many many
    Memory
    It remember
    Graphics Card(s)
    It make video
    Browser
    Firefox show me good view
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky make-a-the-bad-go-away
How can one use their pc as a modern recording studio in modern metro? Or edit video?

Uh, why wouldn't you use the desktop?

Oh very yes, I see what you do there. Me misunderstand and me make-a apology with explain.

Me think MS want to make-a Windows 9 or maybe future 10 to only, how can I say, make-a no legacy happy mode. So me think of way to do good thing still when they say "no, no, you only make-a metro fun".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Make-A-Meself
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    It remember
    Graphics Card(s)
    It make video
    Browser
    Firefox show me good view
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky make-a-the-bad-go-away

Hi there
Congrats -- your English has improved beyond belief !!!! How did you do it. (In spite of a bit of regression in your follow up post).

I agree about recording studio etc etc -- also loads of other apps where Metro is no good.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
But, why would you limit yourself to Metro only? I love Metro, but I'm not dumb enough to ever suggest it does productivity or creation as well as the desktop. Nothing on any other OS does either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
But, why would you limit yourself to Metro only? I love Metro, but I'm not dumb enough to ever suggest it does productivity or creation as well as the desktop. Nothing on any other OS does either.

Hi there

The problem with Metro is that for a lot of people it just gets in the way - there should be a way of turning it off and on again and please MS fix the wretched install procedures for classical desktop applications so every snivelling little .exe file in a large application suite doesn't generate a separate confusing tile often inserted on to the start screen in a place totally away from the application the program belongs to.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Jimbo
Congrats -- your English has improved beyond belief !!!! How did you do it. (In spite of a bit of regression in your follow up post).

Google translate . :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I can do anything I want with 8.

You can?....well I can't set a default boot directly to desktop or have the use of a TRADITIONAL start button that takes me straight to the menu.

WITHOUT adding a third party program.

Something that all recent previous iterations of Windows let me do.:huh:

Wow, I didn't know Windows 7 had options to revert to the Desktop and start menu.... :sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Cokie will tell you it is for all users. Built around people. You can do everything. No compromises.

Exactly.

It isn't meant for the very small minority that use Linux, do not care about anything new other than feature set, or for people who seem to not even know anything about customizing/personalizing/tweaking.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Well, I doubt it.

CrApple's share of the pc market is actually pretty small. It'll stay small while they keep overcharging and gouging prices. People don't want to pay an 'Apple Tax' on their computer.

Yes we do. While I have 3 windows machines in the house; we also have 2 MBP and a Mac mini.. Not to mention an iPhone and 3 iPads.

Not everybody in the us is poor nor do we think Apple products are over priced.

I buy my pcs knowing they're disposable, replaced yearly, and I buy my apple products knowing they'll last and perform well for years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Alienware m14x
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT 650m
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Well, I doubt it.

CrApple's share of the pc market is actually pretty small. It'll stay small while they keep overcharging and gouging prices. People don't want to pay an 'Apple Tax' on their computer.

Yes we do. While I have 3 windows machines in the house; we also have 2 MBP and a Mac mini.. Not to mention an iPhone and 3 iPads.

Not everybody in the us is poor nor do we think Apple products are over priced.

I buy my pcs knowing they're disposable, replaced yearly, and I buy my apple products knowing they'll last and perform well for years.

Quite right.

I still use my iMac 2010 daily but I've went through 3 PC since 2010.
But then again, I don't use my PC for the same thing than my iMac. I use my iMac mostly for productivity and web design. My PC is used for 3D rendering, video encoding and software dev. I have to say the iMac as a way better display than any LCD monitor I've bought for my PCs. Something about the glass giving better contrast and more vibrant colors. But I'm saving my money to get myself a brand new Dell Ultrasharp 30".

What is making it hard for me to do the same thing on the Mac that I do on my PC is the fact that the iMac uses mobile grade GPU and has no expandability beside the ram. I would have to go the PowerMac route, but those are built on yesterday hardware and cost more than my car is worth. Beside I don't really need a Xeon processor since most of my rendering and encoding is CUDA based.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Core x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DELL XPS8500 LE
    CPU
    i7 3770
    Memory
    16gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 660Ti
    Browser
    ie10
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Defender
What cant you do?

Easily done:

ModernMix™ - Run Modern (Metro) apps in a window on your desktop with ModernMix™
The ModernMix folks are to be applauded for doing this.

But the ability to display everything in Windows should be core functionality in a product called "Windows".

We shouldn't have to pay extra or rely on software that may break with the next update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Well, last I checked, Classic Shell or Start 8 and quite a few other programs offer that, so what's the big deal?

You must work for MS...

Did you actually READ my entire recent post?:huh:

I do NOT want to use a third party application for critical and basic interface issues. This just adds the potential for problems.

I work at a school helping kids with learning problems, so no, I don't work for MS.

If a 3rd party program is reputable and works well I see no issue. I have used 3rd party solutions for what I consider to be very important things for years. Have had zero problems. This is a manufactured issue.

The solution is right there and you people don't want it. Well, I think that makes you whiners. If MS 'fixed it' , you'd all just find something else to get cut up about.

Some people just like complaining I guess.

Agreed, some of the vitriol is a bit manufactured due to it being Microsoft. And yeah, if not that, than something else.

That being said, I do have to agree that the removed start menu button is a big kicker, and pain in the arse for many users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v

Microsoft says= automatic dismissal.

Yes, 'serious' users seem to have been abandoned in order to cater to content-consumers, the computer-illiterate, kids, and the 'fashionistas'.

Things aren't looking good for the 'serious' power-user, and that's a real shame. Their loss will be regretted.

That's funny. Whatever I did in 7 I can do in 8. I have a building blueprint (usually PDF), an Excel workbook, a Word file, a labor estimating guide, Notepad, calculator, and a browser with 2 to 3 tabs going. I'll have music or news going as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Microsoft says= automatic dismissal.

Yes, 'serious' users seem to have been abandoned in order to cater to content-consumers, the computer-illiterate, kids, and the 'fashionistas'.

Things aren't looking good for the 'serious' power-user, and that's a real shame. Their loss will be regretted.

That's funny. Whatever I did in 7 I can do in 8. I have a building blueprint (usually PDF), an Excel workbook, a Word file, a labor estimating guide, Notepad, calculator, and a browser with 2 to 3 tabs going. I'll have music or news going as well.

Obviously some haven't actually "used" Windows 8, if they did they would realize outside the "metro" interface, things really haven't changed that much from 7.

As for "power Users" - that word seems to be thrown around a lot without really understanding what "Power User" is. When I think of Power Users, I think of server editions of Windows.

BTW the "Administrative Tools" (for the power users) is still there in Windows 8 - Win Key + C to bring up the Charm Bar, click Search, type "control" in Search bar, left side click "Control Panel", than click "Administrative Tools". Took all of a second and a half. In fact it takes longer the read this than to actually get to the admin tools ;)

Point - it's not as bad as some are making it to be. And Search works really well.

Yes, I realize you could access it quicker from a desktop with a Start Button, but... really???

To me, the biggest issue is the massive change Microsoft did with the UI, which does take some getting used to. The other issue is the in your face tiles, which I personally dislike. But, again, get past that, and it's not really much different from 7.

My two cents.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
Whatever Windows 7 could do, Windows 8 does better. That should be the tagline for 8.

File Explorer for example, I have no idea what I'm doing now with Windows 7 when trying to search for a misplaced video file that was downloaded. You have to right click and use the context menu just to change sorting options, or use the Organize drop down menu to open the Folder Properties dialog box to show hidden files and folders. In Windows 8, this is literally just a couple of clicks on the Ribbon.

Hard drive issue detecting is basically not there in 7. In 8, it ACTUALLY warns the user of hard disk errors through Action Center. Action Center in 8 is of genuine use whereas 7, it just alerts you from time to time about anti virus not being on or some such. In 8, it alerts you to EVERYTHING.

Essentially, what you can do in Windows 8, you kind of can do in 7, except you need A LOT of third party input to accomplish. In 8, that's just all neatly slipstreamed natively into the system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
It is clear the general public aren't going for it in big numbers.

People on forums posting how once you get past the metro rubbish it is like 7, or even worse, blaming the public for being lazy - pointless.

A lot of people don't like a particular type of ice cream . The end.

Why tell them they must get used to it - or tell them to force themselves and some of them may eventually grow to like it- or cover it with chocolate sauce and it won't be so bad - that is crazy.

They don't like it. Period.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Whatever Windows 7 could do, Windows 8 does better.

Me make-a think more honest ad campaign equality for all and prejudice to none, aim for high star way up there like make-a proud citizen of globe:

"Whatever Windows 7 could do, it no have need to make-a interfere on it by Windows 8 other screen and please make-a Aero return to festive joy."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Make-A-Meself
    CPU
    Motherboard