Microsoft Surface Pro review

It's a compelling proposition: all the power and application compatibility of a laptop running a proper desktop operating system, all the portability and convenience of a tablet, all mixed together in one package. That's the core idea behind Microsoft's Surface tablets but, as we saw with the Surface for Windows RT a few months ago, its ARM-based nature resulted in some substantial drawbacks. Namely: app selection.

Running Windows is all well and good, but when you're running the RT flavor, which strips compatibility with the entire, massive and still-swelling catalog of Windows applications, you're left with a desktop-class operating system completely bereft of any desktop apps. Welcome, then, to the Surface for Windows Pro, which promises all the niceties of the Surface RT -- compelling design, build quality, performance -- with full support for x86 Windows applications. (That is: every single Windows app released before the end of last year.) And, adding a 1080p display to the mix doesn't hurt. So, then, is this perfection in a single 10-inch, $899 device? Let's find out.

Read more at source:
Microsoft Surface Pro review

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
You do realize that's the HUGEST benefit and feature of the Surface Pro? And, you do realize that the Desktop in 8 is incredibly similar to the one 7, you know, the one that was touch optimized?

What is the 'HUGEST' benefit?

The desktop is only similar when you install third party software to bring back that which wasn't broken.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
You do realize that's the HUGEST benefit and feature of the Surface Pro? And, you do realize that the Desktop in 8 is incredibly similar to the one 7, you know, the one that was touch optimized?

The desktop is only similar when you install third party software to bring back that which wasn't broken.

The Desktop doesn't include the start menu, it never has, that's a different piece of code and different UI. The ACTUAL Desktop Desktop is the VERY same as in 7. THAT, is one of many benefits the Pro brings over other tablets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I don't know what you mean.

Why shouldn't there be a macbook of some type at $699 and also a much better spec. one at twice the price. Nothing starnge about that.

"What would happen if he brought out an affordable macbook - $699 maybe." Then how would you explain a $1000 iPad, an $800 phone or a $1000 MacBook Air, Goodbye business model hello $50 share price.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Nope, the desktop experience is very different without booting straight to it and having a sensible way of navigating around with unified search right there, and accees to important functions in one neat small, obvious, easily accessible place - oh wait - that would be a start menu.

It also looks bloody awful.

I don't know what all digitally authentic chit chat is about - there are some flower wallpapers - aren't they a representation of something real, natural, pleasant and relaxing ? What are they there for then.

No coincidence some of the oem's are shipping their own start menus -an attempt to ameliorate the metro twaddle for their customers. They do want to sell the machines after all.

The Desktop doesn't include the start menu, it never has, that's a different piece of code and different UI. The ACTUAL Desktop Desktop is the VERY same as in 7. THAT, is one of many benefits the Pro brings over other tablets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Nope, the desktop experience is very different without booting straight to it and having a sensible way of navigating around with unified search right there, and accees to important functions in one neat small, obvious, easily accessible place - oh wait - that would be a start menu.

I don't know what all digitally authentic chit chat is about - there are some flower wallpapers - aren't they a representation of something real, natural, pleasant and relaxing ? What are they there for then.

No coincidence some of the oem's are shipping their own start menus -an attempt to ameliorate the metro twaddle for their customers. They do want to sell the machines after all.

The only OEM I've heard of that put a start menu in Windows 8 is Samsung, and even then, I don't even think they're on most models.

And yes, the start menu does look bloody awful.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

The only OEM I've heard of that put a start menu in Windows 8 is Samsung, and even then, I don't even think they're on most models.

And yes, the start menu does look bloody awful.

You can add one more Lenovo to that list.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
If they're out there, they're surely not being sold at the fore front where my local best buy or any other PC retailer for that matter. All are either touch screen PCs with no start menu junk or non-touch PCs, again, with no start menu redundancy installed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
It seems that maybe manufacturers (other than Microsoft) are listening to their customers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Uh,, prove it. Where are the claims, where is the actual info at for such claims?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
I am pretty sure they were worried at having to ship things with 8 on them. I get the impression they were not convinced they would sell.

So far, they don't seem to be flying off the shelves.

It seems that maybe manufacturers (other than Microsoft) are listening to their customers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Uh,, prove it. Where are the claims, where is the actual info at for such claims?

If you're referring to me, why don't you read post 127, 128 and 129 and ask the posters that question. Mine was merely a rhetorical statement based on those posts.

My Computer

System One

• OS
but Ray, why does everything have to be about your posts. Just cause it falls under yours, doesn't mean is about you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
but Ray, why does everything have to be about your posts. Just cause it falls under yours, doesn't mean is about you.

As your post was directly under mine, I was prompted to query whether it was directed at me. Hence the very obtuse (seemingly to you) lead-in: 'If you're referring to me...'. I could have also asked, 'Are you referring to me?', 'Is your post directed at me?' and any number of iterations which effectively would have said the same.

Your post clearly left people hanging, yet you quite obviously wanted specific answers. Who did you expect to respond? But therein lies further evidence of a problem. Inexactitude, or inconsistency, in many of your posts, appears to be a regular occurrence. If you expect to conduct valuable conversation, unless it's just a rhetorical post or a humorous post needing no further input, then you need to be somewhat more precise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
hhahaha, whatever Ray, rock on buddy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS

I'm not (definitely not) a naysayer about the Surface Pro -- but that article about "Lines form around ...".
The old Minister of propaganda in the Nazi Regime during WWII would have been proud of that presentation.

I could do that myself using the "Rentacrowd" or "Rentamob" principal. Just pay a few students something, create a sort of "Flash mobbing incident" - remember that craze a couple of years back -- and get a decent photographer to "doctor a few images" and you've got a perfect commercial.

Even without using "Rentamob" - you provide a FEW devices and notify some people who are interested in this type of technology that the device will be available to view (or even buy) from place ZZZ. -- of course the area will appear to be crowded. - Try going to a well run booth at a popular trade exhibition. Same type of principle applies --get a crowd to hang around your booth even if it's only for Free coffee- -- that's what always impresses the TV / Press.

I have no doubt the tablet will sell just fine -- but it's NOT APPLE so don't expect the same sort of scenes that used to be common when our favourite "Fruit company" was launching innovative products like the first iPods, iPhone and iPads.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
There is no benefit to a Windows phone or tablet. What next Kellogg's making cars.

Well, it's an old joke here in Oz that bad drivers obtained their licences from within a Kellogg's box, so why not cars too?

Wenda.:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.