Microsoft Surface Pro review

It's a compelling proposition: all the power and application compatibility of a laptop running a proper desktop operating system, all the portability and convenience of a tablet, all mixed together in one package. That's the core idea behind Microsoft's Surface tablets but, as we saw with the Surface for Windows RT a few months ago, its ARM-based nature resulted in some substantial drawbacks. Namely: app selection.

Running Windows is all well and good, but when you're running the RT flavor, which strips compatibility with the entire, massive and still-swelling catalog of Windows applications, you're left with a desktop-class operating system completely bereft of any desktop apps. Welcome, then, to the Surface for Windows Pro, which promises all the niceties of the Surface RT -- compelling design, build quality, performance -- with full support for x86 Windows applications. (That is: every single Windows app released before the end of last year.) And, adding a 1080p display to the mix doesn't hurt. So, then, is this perfection in a single 10-inch, $899 device? Let's find out.

Read more at source:
Microsoft Surface Pro review

Last edited by a moderator:
Then let the wind blow dear chum and enjoy the breeze. I hear that it's not going to let up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I think Microsoft wants to emulate Apple and control the hardware and software side of things to a large extent. OEMs have been Microsoft's life support since inception, but nothing lasts forever and with Balmer in charge, he may view things differently. The problem is, how far can Microsoft go, or afford to go, before it reaches a tipping point and alienates the OEMs completely.

It now looks like some OEM are looking for alternatives to M$

Dell's thin, high-res XPS 13 laptop does Linux | Business Tech - CNET News

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo