Microsoft Surface Pro review

It's a compelling proposition: all the power and application compatibility of a laptop running a proper desktop operating system, all the portability and convenience of a tablet, all mixed together in one package. That's the core idea behind Microsoft's Surface tablets but, as we saw with the Surface for Windows RT a few months ago, its ARM-based nature resulted in some substantial drawbacks. Namely: app selection.

Running Windows is all well and good, but when you're running the RT flavor, which strips compatibility with the entire, massive and still-swelling catalog of Windows applications, you're left with a desktop-class operating system completely bereft of any desktop apps. Welcome, then, to the Surface for Windows Pro, which promises all the niceties of the Surface RT -- compelling design, build quality, performance -- with full support for x86 Windows applications. (That is: every single Windows app released before the end of last year.) And, adding a 1080p display to the mix doesn't hurt. So, then, is this perfection in a single 10-inch, $899 device? Let's find out.

Read more at source:
Microsoft Surface Pro review

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the point is that it offends you when people criticise aspects of Windows 8. Check! So keep your head below the parapets buddy, for the slings and arrows of discontent will be lobbing over the walls with greater frequency as the world really gets a handle on the Surface et al.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
which most people never used or got confused over

Which people are they?

Certainly nobody I know.

I've very rarely used it, except to copy shortcuts to the desktop into a folder like Backups, Photo editing, Tools etc. I've seen hundreds of comments where people seldom use it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
I think the point is that it offends you when people criticise aspects of Windows 8. Check! So keep your head below the parapets buddy, for the slings and arrows of discontent will be lobbing over the walls with greater frequency as the world really gets a handle on the Surface et al.

Dont worry about me old buddy, besides being a tech nut I've also been in the Army, I'm used to getting shot at.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I've very rarely used it, except to copy shortcuts to the desktop into a folder like Backups, Photo editing, Tools etc. I've seen hundreds of comments where people seldom use it.

?????

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Dont worry about me old buddy, besides being a tech nut I've also been in the Army, I'm used to getting shot at.

Maybe, but in this instance the friendly fire will be a lot worse.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Maybe, but in this instance the friendly fire will be a lot worse.

I doubt very much you've been on the Internet as long as I have, anyway I thought we were all on the same side, but then again thats like the Army as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I doubt very much you've been on the Internet as long as I have, anyway I thought we were all on the same side, but then again thats like the Army as well.

What makes you think that?

My Computer

System One

• OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
If people want tablet functionality, will they be prepared to pay some sort of penalty for a desktop to be thrown in - again they might have no use for it.

That is the question.

They MIGHT have no use for Desktop software. MIGHT.

How many people use iTunes daily on their PC? How many people connect their android smartphone to their PC daily? How many people connect their Windows Phone to their PC daily? How many people use networking sharing between PCs through HomeGroup.

How many people have a phablet and a PC because simply, there hasn't been something that combines to the two together?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I have to say, some of the reviews of the Surface Pro are interesting.

It seems, to me at least, that since the tech media (apple thumpers) have never seen a tablet that isn't ARM based, and can run PC software, and runs Windows; they seem to be baffled. It sucks as a tablet, it sucks as laptop. But the Surface Pro ISN'T EITHER one of them. It is a tablet PC, there is SUCH A MAGNIFICENT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PHABLET AND TABLET PC!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I have to say, some of the reviews of the Surface Pro are interesting.

It seems, to me at least, that since the tech media (apple thumpers) have never seen a tablet that isn't ARM based, and can run PC software, and runs Windows; they seem to be baffled. It sucks as a tablet, it sucks as laptop. But the Surface Pro ISN'T EITHER one of them. It is a tablet PC, there is SUCH A MAGNIFICENT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PHABLET AND TABLET PC!

You can feel the hatred for Microsoft from the time they start typing, things like, This two pound piece of metal, this THING just hangs from the keyboard, I hate the type cover(while others love it)but its nice to type on, it's too heavy, it's too much future(what does that mean).

I really hope both the Surface and Surface Pro succeed, I need something better than my iPads and Android tablets, and I've heard many Android and iPad users say the same thing. Trying to convince Windows users is another thing entirely.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I really hope both the Surface and Surface Pro succeed, I need something better than my iPads and Android tablets, and I've heard many Android and iPad users say the same thing. Trying to convince Windows users is another thing entirely.

Why are you trying to convince others? You talk about success as if you have a corporate interest in it, rather than a personal interest. You don't need the Surface to succeed, you just need to buy one and then you're done. You then have what you have proclaimed to be perfection. What more do you need? Stop arguing against naysayers, just go out an buy a Surface, rejoice and enjoy your life forever after.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Microsoft has rediscovered the TabletPC. I think it will enjoy as much success as it did in the past: a select niche, at best.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop

Why are you trying to convince others? You talk about success as if you have a corporate interest in it, rather than a personal interest. You don't need the Surface to succeed, you just need to buy one and then you're done. You then have what you have proclaimed to be perfection. What more do you need? Stop arguing against naysayers, just go out an buy a Surface, rejoice and enjoy your life forever after.
Using your words, you just don't understand Ray. It's all about the ecosystem for me, which means these products have to succeed to keep it all going.

My Computer

System One

• OS
@bill.

It's not too hard to find a few bloggers on the net who are anti MS.

It is also not too hard to find a few who are Anti Apple - or anti anything else for that matter.

I have no idea where you get your impression of "the media" from.

Who are "the media".

Where I live the pc mags were all over MS about win7 exhorting everyone to buy it. Iirc, the Telegraph (serious broadshhet newspaper) was pretty much the same. So was the TV show (click, I think it was called ).

Not so much with win8.

That is because they ( mostly ) thought MS was on the right track and had a great product offering with 7.

They ( mostly ) do not think the same about MS direction right now, or the current product offering.

Whatever hate fantasy you have going on has nothing to do with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If there aren't Microsoft employees posting on this forum, then Microsoft should pay some who are posting, no greater evangelists could there be in the interwebs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
@bill.

It's not too hard to find a few bloggers on the net who are anti MS.

It is also not too hard to find a few who are Anti Apple - or anti anything else for that matter.

I have no idea where you get your impression of "the media" from.

Who are "the media".

Where I live the pc mags were all over MS about win7 exhorting everyone to buy it. Iirc, the Telegraph (serious broadshhet newspaper) was pretty much the same. So was the TV show (click, I think it was called ).

Not so much with win8.

That is because they ( mostly ) thought MS was on the right track and had a great product offering with 7.

They ( mostly ) do not think the same about MS direction right now, or the current product offering.

Whatever hate fantasy you have going on has nothing to do with it.

I watch the news on TV, everything else I get off the Net, I don't buy newspapers or magazines. By Media I mean Tech Media on the net. If you virtually live on the net like I do you'll understand, Microsoft can't do anything right.

Theres a difference between me and you guys, you guys want Microsoft to dance to your tune, I just want them to keep dancing so I can use their products, if and when I choose.

I happen to think they're heading in the right direction, any other direction, especially the Windows 7 direction would have meant a near death experience. The world is a vastly different place then it was just a couple of years ago, I know you guys think that MS can survive forever, but I'm telling you they can't if they don't change.

If a few Media websites have their way, they'll help them dig the grave. I can tell you now if Surface had an an Apple logo on it, the stories would be completely different. It wouldn't be, This Two Pound Piece of Metal, it would be, This is the most exciting thing to come out of Apple.

My Computer

System One

• OS
If there aren't Microsoft employees posting on this forum, then Microsoft should pay some who are posting, no greater evangelists could there be in the interwebs.

Yeah and I think you're one of Tim Cooks Lieutenants. On no that's right, you're trying to help Microsoft. Has Steve Balmer ever sent you an email to please stop helping him? Seriously.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back