Microsoft Surface Pro 3 announcement

So, who watched the event today and what do you think?

It will be available for sale tomorrow. The starting price is $799. Microsoft deems this device as the tablet that can replace your laptop.

It’s a 12.1-inch tablet, utilizing a 3:2 aspect ratio at 2160x1440 resolution screen, using 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Generation Intel Core CPU’s (i3, i5 and i7). Web browsing battery life is around 9 hours. It’s around 30% thinner than an 11-inch MacBook Air. The new kickstand is continuously adjustable. The device comes in at 1.7lbs. The stylus has been replaced now with a pen which provides a much improved drawing, writing and note-taking experience. If you have your device with you, and it’s off, a simple click on the end of the pen fires up the device into OneNote where you can jot down the thought that you just had.

The new type cover keyboard has a significantly larger and improved touchpad. The way the device clicks in and the new fold up edge hinge should alleviate a big problem I’ve always had with the Surface Pro and that’s the fact that it’s very hard to sit on your lap and work with. In the past, you really needed a flat table space area to use the device with.

The new pen and the extremely thin glass on the device should help greatly with writing. However, I’m still really bothered by the fact that the pen doesn’t seem to have a holder built into the surface pro itself…meaning it will be quite easy to set down somewhere and lose.

The device will have a microSD card reader and a USB 3.0 port.

A docking station will be available ($199) that includes the following
· 3 USB 3.0 ports
· 2 USB 2.0 ports
· Ethernet jack
· Audio outputs
· Mini Display port supporting 4k
· Charges the tablet.

Here is a link with a 5 minute video: Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 is designed to destroy the laptop | The Verge

So, pricing looks like the following;
Core i3, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage - $799
Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage - $999
Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage - $1,299
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage - $1,549
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB storage - $1,949

The pen is $49, the type cover keyboard is $130 and the docking station is $199. So a full loaded model is $2,128.

I cannot imagine any sane person paying that much money for a tablet... essentially little more than a toy.

For that kind of money a full on laptop is the only logical way to go.

Imho, of course...

How does this really differ from a "full laptop"? It's got i3,i5 and i7. It has 4GB and 8GB of RAM (The only thing better might be 16GB), it has options for 128/256/512GB SSD's, it has USB 3.0, via it's dock it has Ethernet and secondary monitor support, it's running a full blown version of Windows 8.1, it has a 12.1" screen at 2160x1440 resolution...and lots of people using 13" laptops with less resolution...so the loss of 1" of screen space is not the end of the world. It has micro-SD and Micro-HDMI and it has all day battery life.

A few of you are surprising me with your interest in this thing, but a true and blue fanboi? We'll have to see on that one. :p
I'm in a holding pattern. I would love a device that worked great for handwritten notes. It's one thing that has always lacked when I take a laptop into a meeting. I usually end up taking a picture of the whiteboard with my phone. With the dock, this thing has a chance of being a great work device for me with notetaking ability. Still unsure if the using it at home in the chair or on the arm of the couch will be workable enough to justify a purchase.

This Lumia was my last Christmas present to myself. A SP3 may just be my next.
Yeah, I purchased a MacBook Pro as my latest tech gift to myself a few months ago for my home personal use. It's been a very interesting learning experience. I'm not an Apple fanboy, and I'm not going 100% Apple anytime soon, but i have no regrets with my purchase. For what I do with it, it's been a great device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
As much as I hear that people will be getting the Surface Pro 3, it will never sell good in the end. People said they will buy Surface Pro 2, never sold well even though there was a lot of advertisements around the city. I just think that in general Microsoft has a bad reputation which is probably the reason. I mean almost everyone had a Macbook at that keynote lol. That's free advertising for Apple. The concept is good, I give props to Microsoft for trying to distant itself. But I still don't see why I should buy it. I have a Macbook that I do powerpoint presentations, writing documents, looking at eBooks etc. I also have an iPhone that I use to take pictures, use Internet, text, listen to music, play GTA lol and etc. I carry two devices basically. The Surface Pro 3 doesn't replace the phone so you still carry two devices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i5 430M
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
I agree that it's not ideal, but for me when i'm on the sofa though, i'm not working, i'm browsing. If i need to bang out a forum post, the onscreen keyboard is sufficient. Especially the split keyboard in either landscape or portrait.

The keyboard aspect is the least important to me. I need ultra portability and one handed use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
I agree that it's not ideal, but for me when i'm on the sofa though, i'm not working, i'm browsing. If i need to bang out a forum post, the onscreen keyboard is sufficient. Especially the split keyboard in either landscape or portrait.
Well, you are a better man than I. I don't deal with the onscreen keyboards at all, even on my phone I dislike it. Always liked my Droid 2 with physical keyboard. I'm always on a forum hammering out a post, and typing is so much easier on a real keyboard without having to access submenus for symbols and the like.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Maybe MS or some third party will come out with a keyboard attachment like that of the T100 so they can answer a lot of those that need sturdy hinged type keyboard.

That would quiet all the complaints.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
How does this really differ from a "full laptop"? It's got i3,i5 and i7. It has 4GB and 8GB of RAM (The only thing better might be 16GB), it has options for 128/256/512GB SSD's, it has USB 3.0, via it's dock it has Ethernet and secondary monitor support, it's running a full blown version of Windows 8.1, it has a 12.1" screen at 2160x1440 resolution...and lots of people using 13" laptops with less resolution...so the loss of 1" of screen space is not the end of the world. It has micro-SD and Micro-HDMI and it has all day battery life.

Hehehe.... don't get me wrong, if somebody gave me one, I would likely use it on occasion. That said, regardless of who made it, or what os was on it, I would find even the lowest priced one too expensive for a tablet. I think for me, it's likely the form factor itself, more than anything else. I find it hard to take a tablet seriously.

Your mileage may vary...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

Hehehe.... don't get me wrong, if somebody gave me one, I would likely use it on occasion. That said, regardless of who made it, or what os was on it, I would find even the lowest priced one too expensive for a tablet. I think for me, it's likely the form factor itself, more than anything else. I find it hard to take a tablet seriously.

Your mileage may vary...

What if they called it a mini-ultrabook? I think you are getting hung up on the terminology. I could not bring myself to spend $1,000 on an iPad Tablet, or $1,000 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro Android Tablet as they are tablets running tablet/mobile OS's.

The Surface Pro 3 is a full blown Windows PC in an ultrasmall form factor. It's WIndows 8.1, its a legit 128/256/512GB SSD, it's a Core i3/i5/i7 CPU, it's touchscreen. Aside from a few less ports, it's about the same hardware in my Dell e6430u Ultrabook and my MacBook Pro...both costing around the same amount. Obviously, with some laptops (like my e6430u) ,I can take it apart and replace and repair on my own, but on other devices like the Dell XPS laptops and the MacBook Pro they are far less designed to be end user serviceable. I don't see the Surface Pro 3 as being very serviceable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
The upcoming Asus T200 with Bay Trail looks like a better deal to me unless you somehow like the new 3:2 aspect ratio of the Surface 3, need the power of a i3/i5/i7 plus 4GB ram on a 12" Windows tablet/laptop or just like Microsoft's products.

I see no reason to pay that much for a Windows 8 tablet by Microsoft, better off waiting till Black Friday 2014 comes for Surface 2 blowout prices if you really want a Surface unless of course somehow World War 3 happens... :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
What if they called it a mini-ultrabook?

They could call it moonpie kookaboora, I don't see how that would change anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
^ I only mentioned the mini-ultrabook because people keep throwing around the thoughts of
#1). Tablets are toys
#2). It's too expensive for a tablet
#3). I'd rather have a laptop, (real computer), over a tablet.

But these are full fledged computers in a very small form factor that is completely portable. Sure, they aren't desktop computers with expandability but then neither are laptops...especially modern day ultrabooks that are becoming less and less user serviceable.

The Generation 1 Surface Pro that I have, 128GB was purchased in August of 2013, so less than i year ago. It was $999, and with the $129.00 type cover, it came out to 1,196.73 with tax. So, I don't see the price as being ridiculous compared to the previous generations.

The upcoming Asus T200 with Bay Trail looks like a better deal to me unless you somehow like the new 3:2 aspect ratio of the Surface 3, need the power of a i3/i5/i7 plus 4GB ram on a 12" Windows tablet/laptop or just like Microsoft's products.
From what I have read, the T200 is going to be in the $500-$700 range, and will be a rather low performance Bay Trail budget CPU, with 2GB of RAM, with 64GB of slow storage. I don't see that being a great deal. A coworker of mine bought a lower end Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet and it SOOOOOOOO SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW compared to my Surface Pro that it's not enjoyable to use in the least.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
^ I only mentioned the mini-ultrabook because people keep throwing around the thoughts of
#1). Tablets are toys
#2). It's too expensive for a tablet
#3). I'd rather have a laptop, (real computer), over a tablet.

But these are full fledged computers in a very small form factor that is completely portable. Sure, they aren't desktop computers with expandability but then neither are laptops...especially modern day ultrabooks that are becoming less and less user serviceable.

The Generation 1 Surface Pro that I have, 128GB was purchased in August of 2013, so less than i year ago. It was $999, and with the $129.00 type cover, it came out to 1,196.73 with tax. So, I don't see the price as being ridiculous compared to the previous generations.

From what I have read, the T200 is going to be in the $500-$700 range, and will be a rather low performance Bay Trail budget CPU, with 2GB of RAM, with 64GB of slow storage. I don't see that being a great deal. A coworker of mine bought a lower end Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet and it SOOOOOOOO SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW compared to my Surface Pro that it's not enjoyable to use in the least.

I see you have to the dark side and accepted that Windows tablets are superior... :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Gosh, if they had made an RT version of this, I would have seriously bought one. But the more I use my Surface RT tablet, the better I understand it's place in the picture now. Having Windows 8.1.1 on my self built desktop PC, Windows Phone 8.1 on my Lumia 920, Windows 8.1.1 RT on a tablet with an ARM processor and one Microsoft account makes sense. I don't personally need x86 computing as that's why I have my desktop but I need some more computing than my Windows Phone. The account syncing is so much more seamless than ever before and is literally painting the picture of three screens, one UI design just right. It's a perfect niche device I have to say, but I REALLY wish it had a Wacom digitizer and pen...

I'm a bit surprised at some people here. I was expecting more drab comments but it seems the crowd that are fairly meh towards Windows tablets are now much more warmer to the idea. Goooooooood......very gooooood. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Hi there

A low power device these days is DEAD IN THE WATER -- going the same way as Netbooks. What on earth would you want a small underpowered device for when any self respecting smartphone would out perform it EASILY and most people I suspect on these Forums (note I did say MOST - not ALL) would have a decent phone already.

a 7 inch tablet IMO is a total waste of time and space. The new Surface Pro looks perfect for business or even Home computer use for those who want the facilities of a laptop in a small portable form factor and can use it as a tablet too.

(As for Phablets looking silly when people are making calls -- it's almost as laughable when you see people holding up iPads to take pics too !!!).

@Coke robot --your logic looks a bit screwed -- you say you DON'T NEED x86 computing and then in the SAME sentence say That's why I have my desktop ????!!!!!.

The RT system in any case looks now totally doomed from Ms's point of view -- there's utterly no point with them in continuing it -- makes no business sense whatsoever -- even as a Tax write off.

What also distinguishes the new PRO apart from older "classical tablets" is 1) Proper screen size (12.1 inches is perfectly decent for a portable device), 2) sufficiently high powered enough to run standard Windows applications, 3) endowed with enough peripherals to make this device totally "Lap top replaceable". Unlike a typical tablet this one can easily be used in a commercial workplace as a desktop replacement and by running full Windows 8.1 you can run a sensible desktop OS on it too -- it's not all about Touch and the kiddy mobile phone interface.

While people say it's not cheap --if you take the cost of a DECENT laptop and TABLET together (none of those stupid 7 inch things) then the price is actually quite reasonable and AFAIK apart from the iPad the largest common tablets out there currently are only 10 inch ones.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
@ Coke Robot

The T200 is already listed early at $350 Euros for the 32GB version and $400 Euros for the 32GB plus 500GB HDD in the dock or the 64GB version and I believe this is going to translate to about $400 and $450 US respectively with $500 US for possible 64GB + 500GB HDD model, knowing how almost all retailers list early prices higher than product release selling price.

The T100 64GB is currently selling for $350 US dollars and was on sale at Microsoft's store for $300 in November 2013, I don't know were you read your sources but for $500-$600 the Asus T200 would definitely be not worth the price; if anything the T100 will probably go on sale again come Black Friday 2014 for $299 or less.

At $350 less than the Surface Pro 3 (assuming the price above is about correct) for a slightly smaller Windows 8.1 tablet with lower resolution screen, a Atom Bay Trail processor, 2GB ram, 64GB storage, a included keyboard dock with touchpad and very likely Office 2013 Home bundled; I think the T200 is going to be hard to pass up for anyone looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet and do not want to break the bank especially the way the economy is right now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
Hi there

Atom processor with only 2GB RAM -- C'mon guys this is DINOSAUR TECHNOLOGY -- I think anyone even THINKING about getting one of these is really not looking after their money wisely -- just try running two concurrent large spread sheets with a small video going on -- forget it.

The economy is actually picking up in most places -- I'd definitely try and scrimp up that extra 350 USD -- and don't forget that the current "suggested price" for the surface 3 might be undercut (in fact probably will be) by some 3rd party independents. Ms hasn't (yet) got the physical "Bricks and Motor" type of outlets that Apple has so it's going to be a lot harder for it ALONE to supply these (and why would it want to -- more surface Pro's = more Office licenses / other products !!).

I've been around computers a long time and believe me there's NOTHING worse than using an underpowered device - especially if you've already got used to faster processing on existing devices. Believe me that Atom processor will end up in THE TIP very quickly indeed =-- even your Grand kids (if you have any) will turn their noses up at it.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Nevermind.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
Hi there

Atom processor with only 2GB RAM -- C'mon guys this is DINOSAUR TECHNOLOGY -- I think anyone even THINKING about getting one of these is really not looking after their money wisely -- just try running two concurrent large spread sheets with a small video going on -- forget it.

The economy is actually picking up in most places -- I'd definitely try and scrimp up that extra 350 USD -- and don't forget that the current "suggested price" for the surface 3 might be undercut (in fact probably will be) by some 3rd party independents. Ms hasn't (yet) got the physical "Bricks and Motor" type of outlets that Apple has so it's going to be a lot harder for it ALONE to supply these (and why would it want to -- more surface Pro's = more Office licenses / other products !!).

I've been around computers a long time and believe me there's NOTHING worse than using an underpowered device - especially if you've already got used to faster processing on existing devices. Believe me that Atom processor will end up in THE TIP very quickly indeed =-- even your Grand kids (if you have any) will turn their noses up at it.

Cheers
jimbo
I don't think you've used a late gen Atom based system recently. There isn't anything slow about them. I recently installed PhotoShop CC on one that a friend bought recently and it actually runs it quite decently.

Thing is, i3s are sometimes WAY too much for some people. It's like seeing older people with android smartphones because the platform is simply too much for use as a communications device. Not everyone has the same needs. It would be nice to have an Atom based tablet, but a quad core ARM processor does me fine for a tablet. I don't need heavy programs to run on this, if I do I can use my 8 core desktop PC or even remotely connect to it with my Surface. Only problem with this is getting used to the touch keyboard and how for some reason, Eight Forums doesn't run so nicely....

By the way, I can run several Excel spreadsheets on my Surface RT. ;)

And also, I got mine on sale at a Microsoft Store opening this past weekend for 200. That thread is coming soon all about it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
First reviews are trickling in.

Surface Pro 3 review - YouTube

Looks like 8 hrs. in most use cases and another review with just web surfing got 8:55 hrs.

I must get this now. It's just too freaking amazing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
more than a tablet, less than a laptop
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 review - CNET

That's the thing the 12" screen coupled with the keyboard attachment (which is another $130 I might add) and (U) series Haswell processors makes the Surface 3 Pro just that, though I have to say the tablet does look very nice.

Where as the Asus T200 is just a tablet with a keyboard dock mainly for Office 2013 (very likely bundled), web browsers if one prefers a keyboard and maybe some older games that maps the controls to keyboard keys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives