Microsoft Surface Pro 3 announcement

So, who watched the event today and what do you think?

It will be available for sale tomorrow. The starting price is $799. Microsoft deems this device as the tablet that can replace your laptop.

It’s a 12.1-inch tablet, utilizing a 3:2 aspect ratio at 2160x1440 resolution screen, using 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Generation Intel Core CPU’s (i3, i5 and i7). Web browsing battery life is around 9 hours. It’s around 30% thinner than an 11-inch MacBook Air. The new kickstand is continuously adjustable. The device comes in at 1.7lbs. The stylus has been replaced now with a pen which provides a much improved drawing, writing and note-taking experience. If you have your device with you, and it’s off, a simple click on the end of the pen fires up the device into OneNote where you can jot down the thought that you just had.

The new type cover keyboard has a significantly larger and improved touchpad. The way the device clicks in and the new fold up edge hinge should alleviate a big problem I’ve always had with the Surface Pro and that’s the fact that it’s very hard to sit on your lap and work with. In the past, you really needed a flat table space area to use the device with.

The new pen and the extremely thin glass on the device should help greatly with writing. However, I’m still really bothered by the fact that the pen doesn’t seem to have a holder built into the surface pro itself…meaning it will be quite easy to set down somewhere and lose.

The device will have a microSD card reader and a USB 3.0 port.

A docking station will be available ($199) that includes the following
· 3 USB 3.0 ports
· 2 USB 2.0 ports
· Ethernet jack
· Audio outputs
· Mini Display port supporting 4k
· Charges the tablet.

Here is a link with a 5 minute video: Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 is designed to destroy the laptop | The Verge

So, pricing looks like the following;
Core i3, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage - $799
Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage - $999
Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage - $1,299
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage - $1,549
Core i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB storage - $1,949

The pen is $49, the type cover keyboard is $130 and the docking station is $199. So a full loaded model is $2,128.

It is aimed for business uses who can take it as a tax deduction, not the average user who cannot afford this type of unit. It is also aimed at those who have nothing better to domwith their money and want a nice toy.
lets face it, for the price it is you can get an ultrabook with a core i7 with a 500 gig to a tig HD with 8 gigs of memory
at least you are getting more for your money.
i am looking at the levano yogi 2 which has a 500 gig hd and 4 gigs ram that acts like a tablet and ultrabook, yes it only has a core processor but i am not looking for a mega gaming computer, i am looking for something that is light, runs office and a few more programs and this one is $500. Not $1000 for a 128 gig hd. That you actually only wind up with 100 gig isable. I want the value for my bucks. This yogi is fast enough for my usage, with 3x the hd space. Windows 8.1 is the same on every laptop or tablet, so you are basically buying the machine for its hardware
bring the price down for 128 gigs to $500 and then i would highly consider it. Even make ot a core i3 and i would consider it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Bingo Robin :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win-7-8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer fresh install
    Memory
    4 gig's
    Graphics Card(s)
    GT640
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer / Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1600-900/ 1600-1200
    Antivirus
    MSE/ MBAM Pro/ SAS Pro
It is aimed for business uses who can take it as a tax deduction, not the average user who cannot afford this type of unit. It is also aimed at those who have nothing better to domwith their money and want a nice toy.
lets face it, for the price it is you can get an ultrabook with a core i7 with a 500 gig to a tig HD with 8 gigs of memory
i am looking at the levano yogi 2 which has a 500 gig hd and 4 gigs ram that acts like a tablet and ultrabook, yes it only has a core processor but i am not looking for a mega gaming computer, i am looking for something that is light, runs office and a few more programs and this one is $500. Not $1000 for a 128 gig hd. That you actually only wind up with 100 gig isable. I want the value for my bucks. This yogi is fast enough for my usage, with 3x the hd space. Windows 8.1 is the same on every laptop or tablet, so you are basically buying the machine for its hardware
bring the price down for 128 gigs to $500 and then i would highly consider it. Even make ot a core i3 and i would consider it.

Seems to me that you do not differentiate between normal HDDs and SDDs (or whatever the Surface Pro line uses) at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 and Windows XP Professional SP3 x32 (Dual Boot)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4540s
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-3110M @ 2.4 GHz
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    HGST 1TB 5400 RPM 2.5-inch Internal Hard Drive

Western Digital My Book Essentials 4 TB External Hard Drive

Western Digital My Book Essentials 2 TB External Hard Drive

Western Digital My Book Essentials 640 GB External Hard Drive

Toshiba 6
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 30.0
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials 4.5.216.0
...and easy to clean the fan, swap battery when needed, and upgrade the SSD :confused:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+3+Teardown/26595?utm

I don't think this is fair. Amateurs really. I'm not an expert in this field, but with miniaturization comes new manufacturing techniques. The display glass cracked due to uneven heating. They have adhesives that are infrared and/or laser activated or in this case, deactivated. Given a certain amount of evenly distributed energy the glue gives up its gluing properties. I remember a dentist removing a dental crown using an infrared light. A special glue was used.

Granted, the time of working on our own electronics may be getting more difficult, but as with a lot of professions, the proper equipment and knowledge is most of the job. I thought about this before purchasing my Lumia 1520. It would be difficult to work on. I just hope I never have to.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dL2olFpWvB8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
The Lenovo Yoga 2 devices I have seen start at $1200 Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro Multimode Ultrabook | Multimode Laptops & Ultrabooks | Lenovo (US) so seem to be priced accordingly. The Yoga 2 is both larger and heavier than the Surface but looks like a nice machine as well.

None of these "ultrabook" type machines are inexpensive from what I've seen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris X Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Samsung U32J59 32 inch monitors, 13.3" display, 12.3" display
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 (Desktop), 1920x1080 (laptop), 2736x1824 Pro 7
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
That sort of price one would expect at least 250 gig's
I'm not saying it's not a good machine or has usefulness it's just allot for the hdd size,
I believe 500 would be a better price range
You won't find anything on the market close to that price. There is a lot of performance difference between a standard 250GB hard drive and a 250GB SSD. The specs of the Surface Pro 3 dictate a much higher price tag. Find a 2lb Ultrabook, with a 9 hour battery, with a resolution better than 1920x1080, with a 256GB SSD, 8GB of RAM, a core i5 CPU and I bet its closer to $1200 than $500.

It is aimed for business uses who can take it as a tax deduction, not the average user who cannot afford this type of unit.
Lots of average users are running around with iPad's. A fraction of the functionality for $500-$700.

It is also aimed at those who have nothing better to domwith their money and want a nice toy.
Ever meet a business traveler? My company is based in Australia, with offices in the UK and the US. The chairman of the board came yesterday carrying nothing more than an iPad. They work from this because they need to carry the least amount with them possible. We wouldn't consider a Surface Pro 3 simply because we cannot find anything else to do with our money.

That standard 500GB hard drive will feel a lot slower than an SSD...which would up your price. Again, you have to consider the right tool for the job. For business users, easiest to carry will cause you to accept a lot of compromises. Being able to take handwritten notes on the screen is a huge bonus. It's something that I wish my work UltraBook could do...but it cannot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
$500 for a 12" screen, Core processor, SSD, full USB, for less than 2 lbs.:roflmao:

Name any manufacturer of this unicorn device and I will buy it right away.

You can't even get a crippled os with 32gb like an iPad Air for less than that. Every time someone mentions this, I have less and less faith in humanity.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
People just compare apples to oranges. It's like when people say I way over paid for my Mac Book Pro. Have to take the hardware into account. All of our work ultrabooks with similar specs have been the same price. It may be more than they want to spend, but that doesn't mean it's over priced.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Of course you have to take the hardware into account but if you do not need the fluff, why spend $1000 for it? I can find better things to spend my money on
and btw the one i am looking at is at best buy for $499 but the one i want is a bit more because it has an additional 16 gig ssd plus better caching processor. It is on the levano site for $599 but with my connections i can get it for $500 with office 2013 pre installed
i have a dell non touch 13 inch win 8.1 pro core i3 which does fine for my seminars and work but i wanted a touch tablet with a keyboard and the yogi 2 fits my needs because it is both. I have a client who loves it and at the computer fair i was at. Got to play with it after i gave my seminar at the microsoft booth i ran and really liked it.
it is small but runs really nice for a cheaper laptop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Of course you have to take the hardware into account but if you do not need the fluff, why spend $1000 for it? I can find better things to spend my money on
and btw the one i am looking at is at best buy for $499 but the one i want is a bit more because it has an additional 16 gig ssd plus better caching processor. It is on the levano site for $599 but with my connections i can get it for $500 with office 2013 pre installed
i have a dell non touch 13 inch win 8.1 pro core i3 which does fine for my seminars and work but i wanted a touch tablet with a keyboard and the yogi 2 fits my needs because it is both. I have a client who loves it and at the computer fair i was at. Got to play with it after i gave my seminar at the microsoft booth i ran and really liked it.
it is small but runs really nice for a cheaper laptop

The Yoga 2 for $599 you are looking at has a Pentium processor, Windows 8.1 regular, 1366x768 resolution, and Intel HD 4200. Comparing that to the current i5 Surface Pros that are currently out, I'd say it's adequately priced.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4540s
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives

Toshiba 6
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 30.0
    Antivirus
Hi there

I think a number of people have not realized a few home truths about this product.

Miniaturization and portability comes at a PREMIUM cost -- the price is no worse than other quality top of the range ultra books (with an SSD and an i5 / i7) and is a lot more flexible - especially with the docking station.

Yes there ARE cheaper alternatives - and if these suit you --OK but if you want maximum portability with a high quality spec then you have to pay for it. You CAN make do with a cheap 16 inch non HD TV but people WILL pay more for a higher spec model.

Screen resolution is FAR superior to the standard laptop 1366 X 768 resolution -- even on a 12 inch screen the difference is STUNNING -- Even on a small phone screen resolution IS important -- I can tell at a stroke the difference in resolution between a Samsung S4 and S5 !!.

These devices are aimed at professionals rather than hobbyists - and they probably can get some tax relief or support from their businesses.

Those who say CEO's are quite happy with an iPad are missing the entire point -- how many CEO's actually NEED a full system on their devices anyway -- they aren't usually the developers etc and just need to SEE the results of business projections / forecasts etc. They won't be doing a lot of serious computer work - other than perhaps need to create a spreadsheet once in a while.

Ms has got a WINNER with this one -- already businesses are saying we can use ONE device instead of two (tablet + laptop) and we can maintain the existing IT infrastructure as the surface Pro 3 will run on it just as a laptop.

I can't wait to get hold of mine -- middle to end of july for me.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hmmm. My laptop cost €2800 (about 3800 USD). Upgrading to Ultimate was another €400. Then I had to buy MS Office. In retrospect I'd have been better off getting a cheaper one. I do like Thinkpads though.

EDIT: And the Surface PRO

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Hi there

Good News -- Early availability so I am getting mine on MONDAY -- will report back on my experience -- can't wait.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there

Good News -- Early availability so I am getting mine on MONDAY -- will report back on my experience -- can't wait.

Cheers
jimbo

Didn't you pre-order the i7 version? I thought it wasn't coming out until August 1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP ProBook 4540s
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives

Toshiba 6
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox 30.0
    Antivirus
Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Didn't you pre-order the i7 version? I thought it wasn't coming out until August 1.

That's right -- but there's some early shipments !!!!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there

I think a number of people have not realized a few home truths about this product.

Miniaturization and portability comes at a PREMIUM cost -- the price is no worse than other quality top of the range ultra books (with an SSD and an i5 / i7) and is a lot more flexible - especially with the docking station.

Yes there ARE cheaper alternatives - and if these suit you --OK but if you want maximum portability with a high quality spec then you have to pay for it. You CAN make do with a cheap 16 inch non HD TV but people WILL pay more for a higher spec model.

Screen resolution is FAR superior to the standard laptop 1366 X 768 resolution -- even on a 12 inch screen the difference is STUNNING -- Even on a small phone screen resolution IS important -- I can tell at a stroke the difference in resolution between a Samsung S4 and S5 !!.

These devices are aimed at professionals rather than hobbyists - and they probably can get some tax relief or support from their businesses.

Those who say CEO's are quite happy with an iPad are missing the entire point -- how many CEO's actually NEED a full system on their devices anyway -- they aren't usually the developers etc and just need to SEE the results of business projections / forecasts etc. They won't be doing a lot of serious computer work - other than perhaps need to create a spreadsheet once in a while.

Ms has got a WINNER with this one -- already businesses are saying we can use ONE device instead of two (tablet + laptop) and we can maintain the existing IT infrastructure as the surface Pro 3 will run on it just as a laptop.

I can't wait to get hold of mine -- middle to end of july for me.

Cheers
jimbo

Let alone the fact the Surface tablets probably still have their 200+ custom designed parts, meaning there isn't an Intel reference design to build around, meaning higher production costs. Then there is the custom display they have, a 3:2 ratio that isn't used on any other tablet PC, that has a different inking technology than previous generations.

Speaking of CEOs and tablets, I know a store manager that has a Lenovo Windows tablet that has been deployed company wide and she loves the fact that ALL the store systems and apps that they use are right there on the tablet, right there on hand whereas an ipad wouldn't even be able to run any of them or even access the back end store systems. It's advantageous because that means she could be in whatever department, run that department's specific app, and then run the POS app for checkout. That's just the common thing Windows already does, but just in a nice sweet package.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

That's right -- but there's some early shipments !!!!

Cheers
jimbo

This early already? You mean early shipments are available today? Where can I check this?
vbsmile.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Back