Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming

Windows chief Julie Larson-Green recently talked about Windows 8 and Windows Blue during the WIRED Business Conference, confirming not only a major upgrade for the OS, but also the intense criticism it received since October 2012.

There’s no doubt that Windows 8 is one of the most controversial products ever released by the tech giant, but Julie Larson-Green says everybody in the Redmond campus could see this coming.

The explanation is quite simple, actually. The company made so many changes in Windows 8 that it was quite obvious that some users, be they experienced or beginners, might encounter difficulties when it comes to exploring them.

One of the things Microsoft could change in the next Windows Blue is the way users launch apps. Sources familiar with the matter hinted that Blue could mark the Start button’s comeback, even though there are some signs that it might actually be just a simple shortcut for the Start Screen.

Microsoft on Windows 8 Haters: We Could See This Coming

Maybe they think that money will cure there problems.

There is nothing to learn, Windows 8 UI sucks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
The reason is that 8 is really that good when one learns it and sees what MS is trying to accomplish.

Given what MS are trying to accomplish, it might seem surprising 60m people are actually using it. Probably because a lot of them don't know what MS is trying to do.

MS may have to tone it down it somewhat - that will likely work out better for them

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Miss Julie gonna make-a Start button on top of desk that bring user to utopia heaven of Microsoft pay user when click.

It only way to make-a Windows 8 good again. Maybe plus Aero +1.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Viewing through Windows 7, me like-a-discuss 8 though
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Make-A-Meself
    CPU
    Electrons flow to, through and out of it
    Motherboard
    It has a wire, very small, many many
    Memory
    It remember
    Graphics Card(s)
    It make video
    Browser
    Firefox show me good view
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky make-a-the-bad-go-away
Lovely. I see you know your Strindberg.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Me all ways of puzzled with name above, but me make-a check. I do know Tattoo Dragon girl. We make-a friend.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Viewing through Windows 7, me like-a-discuss 8 though
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Make-A-Meself
    CPU
    Electrons flow to, through and out of it
    Motherboard
    It has a wire, very small, many many
    Memory
    It remember
    Graphics Card(s)
    It make video
    Browser
    Firefox show me good view
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky make-a-the-bad-go-away
The "Open apps/programs Bar" that slides out from the left is very similar to an auto-hide taskbar with open apps/programs on it. Perhaps in Blue they'll make it an option to keep it on top so that some are secure that it's there or even better yet > know that it's there.
Oh I knew that was there. However it's pretty hopeless compared to the Taskbar in Windows 7 as a way of navigating the system, especially for newbies.

In Windows 7 the taskbar is always visible (unless you decide to hide it, or open a full screen app, which you can get out of with the Esc key) and shows you all applications running on the PC. You can also "pin" your favourite programs to it so you can access them quickly.

In Windows 8 if you think of the bar on the left as a Taskbar:
  • You have two taskbars.
  • Taskbar A is only visible in Desktop mode.
  • Taskbar B is only visible if you have certain types of applications running and if you click on a few magic pixels or remember the magic keyboard shortcut (I assume there is one).
  • Neither taskbar will show you all the apps you have running on the computer.
  • You can't pin favourite apps to the new taskbar (remember this was the justification for removing the Start button)

For the user in Outlook who clicks on an image in an email and ends up in the Metro Photo viewer, it's really not intuitive to work out how to get back. It was so much simpler in Windows 7.

If you choose the autohide the Taskbar, do you forget it's there?

And if you don't want it switching to the Photo app, just change program defaults otherwise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
The "Open apps/programs Bar" that slides out from the left is very similar to an auto-hide taskbar with open apps/programs on it. Perhaps in Blue they'll make it an option to keep it on top so that some are secure that it's there or even better yet > know that it's there.

View attachment 21756

View attachment 21757

BTW, slide it out (even on the desktop), right click on any of them, and see what happens.

The more I read of some members' posts, the more I'm realizing that not many really know Windows 8 in it's true colors. I think the article title should have been "Microsoft on Windows 8 Whiners: We Could See This Coming". :p

One more thing. While I'm writing this on the desktop, I get an alert from my Modern NBC News app that Tiger Woods shot a two under to win the Players Championship. Something I'm personally interested in. Yea! This is really going backwards. Now I'll go read the article and watch some videos on the highlights and leave you in the dust. :)

Hi there

That colour scheme -- have to get out my shades.
However who wants a desktop to look like that in any case.

If you need to watch sports etc while working there's nothing wrong in having this open in a "RE-SIZEABLE Classical Windowed" mode - also easy to hide quickly if the Boss comes in. !!!!

for example

Cheers
jimbo
Hitting the Start key is actually a better privacy screen to hide stuff from the boss quickly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Perhaps it will take you to All Apps screen, which is actually the new Start Menu, not the Start Screen. So it's not missing.

View attachment 21740

SURE it is! That's not a USABLE, easy to get to interface! Can that be arranged according to how you want it?

I am old fashioned and I liked the Windows 8 Start Menu that expanded out, I would make it only show the last ting I picked. But the point was, there were about 3 different ways to show it- But starting in Windows 7, they crammed it all into the corner, harder to get to. Perhaps with the desire to remove the unsightly thing? I just like Expandable Program Menus, they took it out of Ubuntu as well, starting in 10!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Miss Julie gonna make-a Start button on top of desk that bring user to utopia heaven of Microsoft pay user when click.

It only way to make-a Windows 8 good again. Maybe plus Aero +1.

I could have sworn I asked if you were Coke Robot yesterday, "and then it was gone poof"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
I want a start button and menu coded by Microsoft so I know it is right without having to worry about using a 3rd party software. Does this make me a hater? I am using W8 on two laptops now and for me the button and menu is all that is missing to make W8 a top notch OS. The tile interface is worthless on a mini with 1024 X 600 resolution because it doesn't meet the resolution requirement of 1024 X 768 minimum. Tossing that out, W8 flies on a mini as compared to W7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit and 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo and Dell
    CPU
    Intel i3
Again, I don't like having a Start button on the Taskbar because UI design wise, when you will snap an app in Windows 8.1 50/50 mode, your precious Start button is now moved halfway over to the screen.
Only if MS choose to make Snap work in that way.

Somewhere there was a story quoting Microsoft saying that their telemetry said people don't use the Start button but use the Taskbar instead. But then they produce a Metro design with no Taskbar.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/2886-designing-start-screen.html

I actually think the Taskbar is a very useful navigation device - you can see all the apps you have running; especially useful when you click on an image file and get swept into a full-screen Photo viewer with no visible way back.

So why not put the Taskbar in Metro as well as Desktop? It could be set (as now in Desktop) to auto-hide for people who don't need or want it.

When we think about it, do we not have 5 rows of Taskbars on the Start Screen? We can shuffle the tiles around as we see fit just like icons on the Taskbar. I can see all the apps I have open including the desktop via slide-out "Open apps/programs Bar".

View attachment 21819

Oh I knew that was there. However it's pretty hopeless compared to the Taskbar in Windows 7 as a way of navigating the system, especially for newbies.

In Windows 7 the taskbar is always visible (unless you decide to hide it, or open a full screen app, which you can get out of with the Esc key) and shows you all applications running on the PC. You can also "pin" your favourite programs to it so you can access them quickly.
In Windows 8 if you think of the bar on the left as a Taskbar:
•You have two taskbars.
•Taskbar A is only visible in Desktop mode.
•Taskbar B is only visible if you have certain types of applications running and if you click on a few magic pixels or remember the magic keyboard shortcut (I assume there is one).
Neither taskbar will show you all the apps you have running on the computer.
•You can't pin favourite apps to the new taskbar (remember this was the justification for removing the Start button)

Bolded ???

:winkey:/Tab shuffles through the "Open apps/programs Bar".

I never said it was a Taskbar. I said it was very similar. Actually the rows of the Start Screen along with the slide-out "Open apps/programs Bar" is the new Taskbar. All Apps is the new Start Menu.

For the user in Outlook who clicks on an image in an email and ends up in the Metro Photo viewer, it's really not intuitive to work out how to get back. It was so much simpler in Windows 7.

Hit :winkey: or slide out the "Open apps/programs Bar" and pick where you were. You had to go back in past OSs after the pic program was open. So this is a little different using the slide-out "Open apps/programs Bar". You know? That new navigational tool?

This "unintuitive" or "not intuitive" concept brought up awhile back. What is that? ["This is so different that I'm having a difficult time adjusting to it"?] Is that what it is?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
It is odd.

I don't recall that kind of thing with earlier windows versions. Something to do with the little squares perhaps.

There must be some subliminal imaging in Windows 8 that affects some into the utmost subservience. There can be no other explanation as to why some bow down to Windows 8 with such reverence.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Perhaps it will take you to All Apps screen, which is actually the new Start Menu, not the Start Screen. So it's not missing.

View attachment 21740

SURE it is! That's not a USABLE, easy to get to interface! Can that be arranged according to how you want it?

I am old fashioned and I liked the Windows 8 Start Menu that expanded out, I would make it only show the last ting I picked. But the point was, there were about 3 different ways to show it- But starting in Windows 7, they crammed it all into the corner, harder to get to. Perhaps with the desire to remove the unsightly thing? I just like Expandable Program Menus, they took it out of Ubuntu as well, starting in 10!

Easier to get to any one of the programs than a "cascading" menu. I don't have to keep clicking to cascade. It's all there in alphabetical order in alphabetical groups. BTW, just like a cascading menu.

Actually the fastest way in both systems is to hit :winkey: and start typing. Usually one or two letters does the job to find, then press Enter.

I don't know much about Ubuntu, but it reinforces that the cascading menu is not efficient, especially for touch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Yes, Ubuntu has Dash.

I blame Canonical - 8 start menu followed.

At least with ubuntu the dash is either desktop size, or full screen according to preference.

There are only the executable links - you don't get a ton of stuff in there when you install linux programs.

You can also install another UI easily - Cinnamon UI is installable from the software centre.

It works much better in ubuntu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I want a start button and menu coded by Microsoft so I know it is right without having to worry about using a 3rd party software. Does this make me a hater? I am using W8 on two laptops now and for me the button and menu is all that is missing to make W8 a top notch OS. The tile interface is worthless on a mini with 1024 X 600 resolution because it doesn't meet the resolution requirement of 1024 X 768 minimum. Tossing that out, W8 flies on a mini as compared to W7.

"Hate" and/or "hater" is a strong word. I don't like them myself. But you do dislike it for what it is I can see. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
There must be some subliminal imaging in Windows 8 that affects some into the utmost subservience. There can be no other explanation as to why some bow down to Windows 8 with such reverence.

OR why others feel forced into saving those who accept 8 as it is, for what is, a Microsoft program. There is no utmost subservience . Some of us realize we need to use alternatives to the start button and do so without whining the next 7 months about it. So what if it is 3rd party or from Brinks tutorials, pick something and be happy for a day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w

OR why others feel forced into saving those who accept 8 as it is, for what is, a Microsoft program. There is no utmost subservience . Some of us realize we need to use alternatives to the start button and do so without whining the next 7 months about it. So what if it is 3rd party or from Brinks tutorials, pick something and be happy for a day.

But why the constant vitriol towards those who simply want the ability to implement an interface that they prefer, an interface that is easily doable, if Microsoft was amenable?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X79s