Microsoft: "Metro" out, "Windows 8-style UI" in

Microsoft has been using the "Metro" name to describe the new geometric, typography-heavy look-and-feel that is central to Windows 8—and is spreading across the company's entire range of products—ever since it first showed off Windows Phone.
But sources are telling us that this is coming to an abrupt end after the company's Legal and Corporate Affairs team sent out a memo banning the word "Metro." LCA's memo reportedly says that Microsoft has been threatened with legal action for infringing on "Metro" trademarks held by German retailer Metro AG.

Read more at:
Microsoft: “Metro” out, “Windows 8-style UI” in, amid rumors of a trademark dispute | Ars Technica

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think Windows 8 is a big step down from 7, I think it's UI is outright ugly, especially the Metro or whatever they are going to call in now UI which is just putrid.

Maybe Microsoft should call it "Terminal". It looks like the signs you see in an airport! :D

I'm sitting here in my lab doing what I hope will be my last system rebuilds for a long while. After looking at Win8 since last fall (developer's preview) I decided to upgrade my laptop system to an i5 with Win7 so all my equipment is up-to-date for awhile. I'm going to sit this one out.

Like you, I've been at this awhile. I started programming back in the late 70's when at GA Tech. I wrote my first FORTRAN programs on punch cards. Some of my earliest jobs were working on PDP 11's. I've been in this for the entire time that the "microcomputer/PC" industry has existed.

I've been developing code for Microsoft platforms primarily, since the original IBM PC running DOS 1.1. The changes that all this has gone through has definitely been interesting to watch. I've always been a little bit resistive to the upgrade cycle but have always gradually come around to the latest O/S and/or development tools that Microsoft has produced. However, lately, it seems that my resistance has been reaching a real breaking point.

The first thing that drove me nuts was when Microsoft started futzing with Office - bringing in that nutso "ribbon" interface. I have that one (Office 2010) on my system at the office and, to this day, still vastly prefer using Office 2003 on my own systems. I thought that after a couple of years I would start to like 2010. It still hasn't happened!

Now, Microsoft decides to totally screw around with the GUI presentation by bringing out this insipid "Metro" interface. (Oops ... I mean "Airport" or "Terminal" - can't use Metro anymore!) ;-)

I really tried to approach "Metro" with an open mind. I have played with all of the releases since the DEV preview. I hoped that maybe I would "get it". Sorry ... I just don't. I do not see where flattening the GUI and removing detail is beneficial on a visual level. Totally get rid of the "chrome"? Good grief ... why? We've spent the last 20+ years enhancing the "chrome" aspect. We've got great icon editors, software tools and all the rest to create gorgeous front-end displays, now we want a flat white screen with gray icons? I took one look at Visual Studio 2012 and realized that my copy of VS2008 is going to grow very, very old. I'm just glad the thing works as well as it does.

I've spent a lot of money on software upgrades over the years to keep up with this. I've been pretty committed to the Microsoft platform. I still am. However this is the first time that I see absolutely no reason to move forward. Everything I presently own works as good or better (and is more attractive) than anything I'm seeing in the pipeline. Office 2013 with the flat gray/white front-end? Are you freaking kidding me? Everything in the "cloud"? Thank you, NO. I use the "cloud" as a backup strategy, not as a primary data store.

I could go on and on. However, I suspect you and I feel the same way about all this. I'm not against progress by any stretch of the imagination - however I am against "re-imagination" when it looks like this. Thank you, no.

Fortunately the tools I presently own are in good order and since I develop to the desktop (which Win8 still has) I'll be able to continue creating products. As for "Metro", I'm just not interested.

Sorry about the rant. I do suspect, though, I'm not alone.;)

-Max :sarc:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Thanks for letting me vent Hippsie :thumbsup:

But seriously, I will not be installing 8, I believe Windows 7 will be good to go for some years to come. Due to past patterns from MS I prefer to wait until at least the OS after 8, hopefully by then they will get the hint and get rid of that gawd awful Metro UI and put some style back into the OS.

Again welcome to the forum. Just curious as to if you've ever tried 8 or just read on it?

I agree with that poster and I have used Windows 8 rather extensively on multiple machines over the past 2-3 months. I feel that Windows 7 is where I will stay. I think the new "UI" isn't suitable for a desktop or laptop and I don't want to deal with it. But MS would rather not give me that choice. Therefore, I will likely exercise my choice to just stay with Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Drum rolll... "Metro" no to be called...

"Windows 8"!!!

Or the "Windows 8 Interface" if referring to a Windows 8 Phone... ?!?

:/

Microsoft: Don't call it Metro. Call it 'Windows 8' | ZDNet

So if Metro is the WIndows 8 Interface, what is the desktop? Another either Brilliant or Stupid decision. Now "Metro" has no branding what so ever. (bad) but then it furthers the ghettoization of the desktop (Brilliant?!?)

Frankly, just more and more Bizarre.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Maybe they will stop talking gobbledeygook, like this...

metrodesignlanguage-v1.png

It's completeley authentic.
What on earth does that mean?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I can remember when MS tried to copyright the word "Windows" and were turned down as it was a word in common usage.
Note I said copyright not trademark. No one can prevent them usage a common word but they can be stopped from registering it if it is a registered company name and or also a trademark. I made a few bucks once by having a registered name that one of the big internet companies wanted.
What a shame they dropped the ball again and all the money spent on lawyers who should be more capable wasted.
I also wonder how much money has already been spent on pre-launch packaging advertising programs etc.
We knew this a week or so ago when Metro AG raised it in Germany. MS started by dropping references to "METRO" in blogs etc. but obviously could not find a solution. Crass stupidity, a few marketing execs should be fired; if the world perceives windows 8 as just the "metro" start panel for tablets and not "metro" and a desktop they will lose big time.

A very good lesson for Harvard MBA courses in how to shoot yourself in one foot wait 6 months then shoot yourself in the other foot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    xp , 7Pro, 8RP, Android phone, Tablet
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    q6600@3Ghz, amd 965 etc etc
    Motherboard
    gigabyte
    Memory
    8gb per
    Graphics Card(s)
    gts450 ,560gt etc
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3xsamsung 24in
    Screen Resolution
    3, 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    To many! spread across 4 desktops,3 laptops 1 netbook
    ssd, sata 3's ide etc
    PSU
    Hyper Modular 600W
    Case
    lian li
    Cooling
    artic
    Internet Speed
    60Mb
    Other Info
    Basically the house has 4 desktops 3 in the study + the wifes,
    3 laptops 1 netbook 2 android tablets 2 android smart phones
    and ipad and iphone
Delta Holding, a Serbian import-export, banking, insurance and retail corporation.

Helloooo, workplace xD (sorta)

Metro being out, whatever, aside... Win8-style UI is NOT the final name for it as I understand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Intel B960 Sandy Bridge (2.2GHz, 2MB L3 cache)
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce GT630M with 1GB dedicated VRAM + Intel HD
    Sound Card
    Integrated audio with 2xHigh Definition Dolby® v4 speakers
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" HD LED Acer CineCrystal™ (high-brightness 200-nit)
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Acer FineTip & MultiTouch Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
Thanks for letting me vent Hippsie :thumbsup:

But seriously, I will not be installing 8, I believe Windows 7 will be good to go for some years to come. Due to past patterns from MS I prefer to wait until at least the OS after 8, hopefully by then they will get the hint and get rid of that gawd awful Metro UI and put some style back into the OS.

Again welcome to the forum. Just curious as to if you've ever tried 8 or just read on it?

Thanks Hippsie, yes I have tried 8 extensively, every version up until the latest and as I said, no version I had installed ever made it past a week on my machine(s) before being uninstalled.

BTW ...... MS's latest foobar? ..... just found out that Windows 8 users will no longer be able to bypass the Metro UI and boot directly to the desktop as they were able to in previous versions, MS has removed that feature and is now FORCING users to boot directly into the Metro UI without any choice whatsoever. Just another example on how Bill and the gang are going to control the way you compute.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    Memory
    8 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE Force 5200
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2009M x's 2
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900 x's 2
    Hard Drives
    One internal Western Digital HD 650 GB
    Three external Western Digital HD's - 1 TB each
Just another example on how Bill and the gang are going to control the way you compute.
The way you compute today was once decided by Bill and the gang.

The idea of desktop that you think today is controlled by you, was actually framed by Bill and the gang, wasn't it?

How does this statement make sense to you:

In windows 7 and OS preceding it, Microsoft was forcing users to boot directly into desktop. M$ wasn't giving users other options. Just another example on how Bill and the gang are controlling the way you compute.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
BTW ...... MS's latest foobar? ..... just found out that Windows 8 users will no longer be able to bypass the Metro UI and boot directly to the desktop as they were able to in previous versions, MS has removed that feature and is now FORCING users to boot directly into the Metro UI without any choice whatsoever. Just another example on how Bill and the gang are going to control the way you compute.

You know, that whole thing really bothered me. In fact, the whole "Metro" start screen has been bugging me. However ... I've been working REALLY hard to "see" this one. I'm still playing with it in a VM just seeing if I can get used to it.

I hate to admit it - but it's not looking quite as bad at the moment. Once the system starts up all ya gotta do is just hit the desktop and you actually stay there pretty well. In the earlier version I felt like you were constantly being dragged back into Metro - but it's not turning out to be quite as bad. Maybe the thing will be OK. I still don't like the "Metro" part of it but the thing does seem to at-least run solid. I still don't think it's something I would rebuild a system over. As I said earlier, I'm planning to sit this one out. I'll play with it in VM's but I wouldn't commit a machine to it, at least not yet.

-Max

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Ahh ... so THAT's why they can't call it Metro anymore!

The name is already taken! :p

Metro.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
I will never understand why metro cannot be used. It's not as if they are claiming metro is a representation of another company. Also the word is too common. If it was a special name that no one has heard of then fine, but this is just ridiculous.

My Computer

The problem I find with it is that if they continue the design trend with Windows 9, it would sound very odd to say, "The new Windows 9 is designed Windows 8 style..."

Uh hu....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
According to reports, the Metro UI will from now on be referred to by Microsoft as the Modern UI. Poorly replaced brand name, if you ask me, but at least it's better than we thought it would be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
The modern UI....ehh, it kind of sounds ok, but it's too general and vague. Metro is specific.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Agreed...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
What about 'The Pooey GUI'?

:p:p:p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
If you don't try to spell "GUI" is actually rhymes xD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3-531G
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel® HM77 Express
    Memory
    6GB (4+2) DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1.366 x 768 (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    500GB SATA
    Keyboard
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 5M
Back