Microsoft is mulling 128 bit win 8

128-bits... I don't think we'll see that until 4 new operating system from MS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium FR x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X35A-UD3R
    Memory
    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 3x2GB 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus nVidia GeForce GTX460 1GB Factory Overclocked
    Sound Card
    HT Omega Claro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus VW246H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD, 1x Hitachi 7200RPM 500GB, 1x 1TB WD Green
    PSU
    Silverstone DA700 700W
    Case
    Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62
    Cooling
    Case : Stock, CPU : Cooler Master Hyper N520
    Keyboard
    Logitech Media Elite Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    30MBits down, 1Mbits up
    Other Info
    Scanner : Canon LiDE 200
    Printer : Samsung ML-2010
I believe that Microsoft will not move to a 128 bit operating system for some time. What they need to have is a built in visualization software that allows 32 bit applications to run in a 128 bit environment similar to what Apple with the Mac OS X. You can run 64 bit applications in a 32 bit environment. Very nice in my opinion. If you could run at 32 bit program, a 64 bit program, and a 128 bit program side by side without a “XP Mode” installed that would help the move to 128 bit. At that point people will be willing to go over to a 128 bit OS and as in people I mean corporations. Because we all know that corporations are the driving force of Microsoft not individual consumers.

In reality we do not need to go to 128 bit operating system. A faster OS just allows software programs to hide their flaws in their programing and very quickly we are back in the same situation with the need for yet faster computing power. Microsoft should really go after the software programmers (like they should have after the epic fail of Vista which was caused by horrible 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party programmers). Many programs suffer performance issues not because of the user’s hardware but sloppy programing.

In concussion, I want to see new tech come out and I can’t wait to get my hands on it but for now we should be going after the software designers and programmers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
    Asus
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge @5.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155
    Memory
    2 x Corsair Dominator 2GB DDR3 @1866 (Old DDR3 1600 Sticks, plan to upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4850 (I know it's old, plan to upgrade, taking donations)
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC889
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Sony Bravia KDL-32EX500
    Screen Resolution
    1980x1080P
    Hard Drives
    1 x Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F60GBGT-BK Windows
    2 x Western Digital Caviar Black Sata III 750GB (Raid 0)Programs
    1 x Western Digital Caviar Black Sata III 1TB - Media
    2 x Western Digital Caviar Black Sata II 640GB (Raid 0) Mac OS X
    PSU
    Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850
    Case
    Corsair 800D
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    HP Wireless Elite Keyboard
    Mouse
    HP Wireless Elite Mouse
    Internet Speed
    DSL, VisionTek Bigfoot Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card and Internaly Installed Linksys WUSB600N
    Other Info
    4 x GELID Solutions FN-TX12-15 120mm Case Fan with Superior Temperature Control
    1 x Corsair 140mm Case Fan
    1 x SilverStone FP55B Aluminum front panel 5.25" to a 3.5" bay converter
    1 x Ultra Card Reader
    1 x Sony Blu-ray Burner BD-5300S-0B
    1 x 2GB Internaly Installed Flash Drive For Mac OS X Boot
    1 x Internal USB 3.0 Header to 2 USB 3.0 Female Adaptor
    1 x ATI TV Wonder™ Digital Cable Tuner
I believe that Microsoft will not move to a 128 bit operating system for some time. What they need to have is a built in visualization software that allows 32 bit applications to run in a 128 bit environment similar to what Apple with the Mac OS X. You can run 64 bit applications in a 32 bit environment. Very nice in my opinion. If you could run at 32 bit program, a 64 bit program, and a 128 bit program side by side without a “XP Mode” installed that would help the move to 128 bit. At that point people will be willing to go over to a 128 bit OS and as in people I mean corporations. Because we all know that corporations are the driving force of Microsoft not individual consumers.

In reality we do not need to go to 128 bit operating system. A faster OS just allows software programs to hide their flaws in their programing and very quickly we are back in the same situation with the need for yet faster computing power. Microsoft should really go after the software programmers (like they should have after the epic fail of Vista which was caused by horrible 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party programmers). Many programs suffer performance issues not because of the user’s hardware but sloppy programing.

In concussion, I want to see new tech come out and I can’t wait to get my hands on it but for now we should be going after the software designers and programmers.
Actually there has been some talk of implementing the Windows Server hypervisor into the Windows mainstream OSs, like Windows 8. This would allow for a 128 bit cpu and OS to virtualize just the program part without having to actualy virtualise the entire OS, meaning you could run a 32 bit program in an 128 bit OS without having to run virtualization software like Virtual box. This would allow kernell level files to be virtualized, and seemlessly ran, as long as the hypervisor has a 32 bit kernel interface to be used by the required 32 bit program.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro w/ WMC x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion g7-1350dx
    CPU
    AMD A6-3420M APU
    Memory
    4 GiB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6520G
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS547550A9E384 SATA Disk Device (500GiB)
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad v7.5
    Browser
    IE10/Chrome Beta/Waterfox(64bit)
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender/ MalwareByte's Pro
That's not going to happen with 8, Windows 8 will be however the very last 32 bit operating system from Microsoft. Windows 9, I'd place my bets there for 128 bit architecture especially considering that 32 bit has been around for over a decade almost and I think the 64 bit has been underutilized these past year up until now, so chances are the 64 bit will be the new 32 bit for Windows 9 and 128 will be the 64 bit replacement. Got it? :happy: By the way, the smiley faces here are awesome!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
win 8 is possible, win 9 is likely. why 128-bit? even greater stability, security, and i guess access memory. But who is going to have a gazzilion mbs of memory?
I agree with you, though I don't see it becoming widespread for about 5 or 6 years. As to who's going to have a gazzillion mbs of mem, I'm in that computer using age group that agreed with Bill Gates when he said --- Who needs more than 640 K?????. LOL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    BIMS (built it myself)
    CPU
    i7 3930k @ 3.8 oc
    Motherboard
    ASUS P9X79