Solved Make a fresh installation of Windows 8

I talked to MSI support they told me if I were to install Win8 separately, I'd need a license. Does that mean that the license is somehow attached to the recovery/backup installation (or there is no such license needed at all), and for a windows 8 one, I'd need a new key? So according to them, it may not pick up a key if not their installation but such key may not exist at all. I had Alienware in the past and also didnt require any keys from their CD.
They mean that if you want to do want you want to do in an EULA-consistent fashion (in their opinion), then you will need to purchase upgrade software or system builder software (both mentioned in my first post). In this regard, you would get a new product key, but your embedded OEM product key, if you have one, would be all that is necessary for reinstallation of Win8. It should be detected automatically. If you happen to want one, you also could use the new product key to get an ISO consistently with one of the links I posted originally--Windows 8 Upgrade ISO - Download or Create (option one in this case).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
With the above link for making an ISO, if I used option 1, would this create an ISO with all recovery/factory settings that I do not want, or will it create only the clean setup files without adding any extra content?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
With the above link for making an ISO, if I used option 1, would this create an ISO with all recovery/factory settings that I do not want, or will it create only the clean setup files without adding any extra content?

Will make a clean Upgrade Windows 8 Pro DVD.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
It will create an upgrade ISO, no factory stuff. Remember, your embedded product key will not work for the download. As said above, "if you happen to want one, you also could use the new product key ...." An ISO obtained via the link can be used to create an install DVD or flash drive (see my first post). If you need UEFI support, then you may also need to use option two on the link.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
^ You said that if I had the same windows installation it would automatically find the emebedded key, or it won't work only for the online creation of the ISO?

Btw is there a way to recognize SSD and HDD on Windows 8? Besides knowing them by capacity when creating paritions during Windows setup and knowing where each partition comes from, is there a place in Win 8 where you can see which drive is made out of SSD and which one out of the HDD? 'Disk Managmenet' only shows the partitions, not what harddrive it is made from

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
What you ask is covered in my prior posts--except, no, Win8 will not alert you specifically about drive type.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Ok I tried some retail key, 'We cannot connect right now, check your internet connection' after the key passes... Does it work for anyone?

Windows 8 Direct Download Links

Keys that are used solely for reaching the ISO while needing your own key for activation, this is not illegal site but Micro$$oft don't agree. It's funny how something so simple can't be done, might as well look for someone willing to pass a link to an iso of the home edition. Not my fault that MSI didn't provide me with clean reinstallation disk, maybe not theirs too since Micro$oft probably do not allow and prefer that you buy another product hahaha

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Ok I tried some retail key, 'We cannot connect right now, check your internet connection' after the key passes... Does it work for anyone?

You need to buy the Upgrade Windows 8 Pro first.

or
You can order Recovery disks from:
Member & Product Registration Center

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Ok I tried some retail key, 'We cannot connect right now, check your internet connection' after the key passes... Does it work for anyone? I've seen cases where trying to use an embedded product key produces the message you are seeing.

Windows 8 Direct Download Links

Keys that are used solely for reaching the ISO while needing your own key for activation, this is not illegal site but Micro$$oft don't agree. It's funny how something so simple can't be done, might as well look for someone willing to pass a link to an iso of the home edition. Not my fault that MSI didn't provide me with clean reinstallation disk, maybe not theirs too since Micro$oft probably do not allow and prefer that you buy another product hahaha
"Some" retail key might not work. Where did it come from? The message you are seeing tends to occur when an individual is using an embedded product key.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
^ One guy at another forum was nice enough to provide me with ISO for Windows 8 from Oct 29 2012, no more attempting to make an ISO. Plus, I read that the Win8 setup from Microsoft that you do online doesn't burn a DVD for UEFI and I need to burn that ISO for UEFI on DVD+RW.

So far I tried using the Win USB DVD tool but it gave me an error, I actually use 2 laptops the old one and the new one where I will reinstall. On the new one I've got there is not enough space on the empty DVD+RW, on the old laptop I got another error.

So what do I need to do to make a bootable DVD? And is this boot from UEFI needed to be able to create partitions for my SSD and HDD? The tutorial there was explaining only how to make USB bootable from an iso or DVD but not a bootable DVD!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I have no idea what you are asking.

How big is the iso?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

You need to buy the Upgrade Windows 8 Pro first.

or
You can order Recovery disks from:
Member & Product Registration Center

^ One guy at another forum was nice enough to provide me with ISO for Windows 8 from Oct 29 2012, no more attempting to make an ISO. Plus, I read that the Windows 8 setup from Microsoft that you do online doesn't burn a DVD for UEFI and I need to burn that ISO for UEFI on DVD+RW.

To make the Upgrade Windows 8 x64 UEFI bootable.

8 ISO.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
If you have the product key, and the iso file, then you don't need to download anything.

If the iso is too large for dvd, it may include all editions.

You can make another containing just the edition you have the product key for.

Not sure if it is worth trying to explain all that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
@SIW2

3.3 GB, well funny it has happened in the past when I use this USB DVD Download Tool... It gave an error at 99%. OK after 2nd 3rd time burning it did it, went 100%...

@theog

I opened the files of this ISO I see some efi files there, if that's enough, let me bring the burning to DVD to success and I will see if I have an option to boot from UEFI before using that tool.

It does not give you UEFI cause I read somewhere the Windows 8 upgrade does regular burn not for UEFI but I dont use that darn Windows 8 upgrade
----------------

Is there a complete guide step-by-step how to proceed with installation from DVD after burning the iso to if you want to wipe the SSD and HDD and recreate them? aka clean install.
That's what I want.. nothing more with this thread with or without UEFI I don't care

IT'S so annoying to install windows 8... only headaches

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
^ One guy at another forum was nice enough to provide me with ISO for Windows 8 from Oct 29 2012, no more attempting to make an ISO. Plus, I read that the Win8 setup from Microsoft that you do online doesn't burn a DVD for UEFI and I need to burn that ISO for UEFI on DVD+RW.

So far I tried using the Win USB DVD tool but it gave me an error, I actually use 2 laptops the old one and the new one where I will reinstall. On the new one I've got there is not enough space on the empty DVD+RW, on the old laptop I got another error.

So what do I need to do to make a bootable DVD? And is this boot from UEFI needed to be able to create partitions for my SSD and HDD? The tutorial there was explaining only how to make USB bootable from an iso or DVD but not a bootable DVD!
Well, if he gave you a product key also, then the Win8 EULA is being broken. The links I already have provided above provide the necessary info for burning a DVD from an ISO and for dealing with the the UEFI issues you may run into.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
^ Umm, I said 'gave me an ISO download link' NOT a product key... And I do not need to download ISO from Microsoft, since I already have a Win 8 x64 ISO. For activation, I can use my OEM key, since I am using the same product for which I have my license.

The ISO I downloaded. it gives me an error when trying to boot from it... Is there ANY way to download from Windows 8 given the fact that I get the message 'Can't connect right now. Check your connection' and I am on another IP, still this stupid message. I use generic key that can be found on the net for proceeding with the download on Microsoft site and i am sure this is not the reason.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
^ Umm, I said 'gave me an ISO download link' NOT a product key... And I do not need to download ISO from Microsoft, since I already have a Win 8 x64 ISO. For activation, I can use my OEM key, since I am using the same product for which I have my license.

The ISO I downloaded. it gives me an error when trying to boot from it... Is there ANY way to download from Windows 8 given the fact that I get the message 'Can't connect right now. Check your connection' and I am on another IP, still this stupid message. I use generic key that can be found on the net for proceeding with the download on Microsoft site and i am sure this is not the reason.
You said earlier:

"Ok I tried some retail key, 'We cannot connect right now, check your internet connection' after the key passes... Does it work for anyone?"

It works for "everyone" with a proper product key. Generic keys also do not work.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    PSU
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

These keys have been BLOCKED by Microsoft.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Ok so this message is because of inappropriate key. Let's forget about it and M$ downloads, I mentioned I dl-ed some iso retail and according to what you say, my OEM key should work.

Now, since DVD burning and formatting for 17 mins per format is waste of time when not all are successful, I finally do USB 3.0 on 3.0 port backup, will report what problems I will have next.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Ok so this message is because of inappropriate key. Let's forget about it and M$ downloads, I mentioned I dl-ed some iso retail and according to what you say, my OEM key should work.
should work for installation, yes. And, I am assuming there is no problem with the install medium you come up with.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot: