Lots of errors in event viewer

I have just taken a look at the CBS file and copied the entire contents in to Word and its showing that the log is a total of 5505 pages long.
Don't know why the file get that big. So let go back to fresh start with this. Right click on CBS.log file and take ownership then delete it, next time you run sfc /scannow, a brand new CBS.log will be created then we'll go from there.

BTW, You said you did run memory test, correct ? . Didi you use the built in memory diagnostic test ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    16 GB G-Skill Trident X @2400MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    256 GB M2 sm951, (2) 500GB 850EVO, 5TB, 2 TB Seagate
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
Hi,

I used both the built in Windows memory test tool as well as Memtest 86+

I have deleted the CBS file and scanned again with SFC and the log is now a total of 218 pages long.

My Computer

Did it fix anything ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
Did it fix anything ?

Each time I run it just gives the same result that errors were found. I have today experienced the first BSOD since reinstalling I have attached the memory dump if you want to take a look at it.

Edit - Later on today I am going to do another clean install on a platter hard drive to see what the results are.

Attachments

• 012813-7378-01.zip
    27.4 KB · Views: 63

My Computer

In your dmp file it pointed at CdRom.sys that caused BSOD, but since you always have errors with sfc, it is hard to determine if it is really the cause.
Can you upload the CBS.log file so I can take a look.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
Hi
Thanks for your response,

I we are getting somewhere now, I have restored the system back to the day I reinstalled on and SFC is passing fine with no errors.

Would you say the cdrom.sys is likely to be Windows fault or could this be an issue with drive its self?

Also the results of mem tests where clear for each memory stick.

Thanks for your help,

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

At this point, I am not sure if it is the cdrom.sys because it came up as a new error in the dump file. Since you restored Windows, turn off the service Superfetch again to clear up the error in the event log. Also, clear all events etc... start with new set of event logs so it will be easier to look at later on if something happens again

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Brewed
    CPU
    I7 4970K OC'ed @4.7 GHz
    Motherboard
    MSI-Z97
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual HP-W2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec 850W
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Danger Den H20
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    35/12mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
Typically problems with cdrom.sys are problems with the cdrom hardware. This driver is very old and stable, and has not changed much in years. a bad drive can cause all kinds of problems to occur in the system that are not strictly drive related. I'd try disconnecting your CD-Rom for a while and see if the problems go away.

It also could mean that your drive controller is flaky, and causing other problems. So it could be the chip on the motherboard.

Often times if you don't use proper anti-static procedures when installing hardware, static can cause components to degrade. They may not fail at first, but later down the road.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Hi,

Thanks for your further responses,

The disk that event viewer reported read errors with has successfully read 4 different dvds including the (Dirt 3 disk) with no errors I used Burn in test for the testing.

My Computer

The disk that event viewer reported read errors with has successfully read 4 different dvds including the (Dirt 3 disk) with no errors I used Burn in test for the testing.

That doesn't really mean anything, other than that it still functions as you are using it. It could be some other part of the drive that is failing, like powering down or something to do with DVD playback or any number of other things that does not affect writing. That could mean the drive will fail totally in the future, or it might mean nothing and work fine for you for a long time to come (but still filling your logs with messages).

If you want to solve the messages, then you should do as I suggested, disconnect it and see if you can rule out the drive as the cause. Even if it functions fine for you. Troubleshooting often means doing things that don't make sense just to rule them out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

That doesn't really mean anything, other than that it still functions as you are using it. It could be some other part of the drive that is failing, like powering down or something to do with DVD playback or any number of other things that does not affect writing. That could mean the drive will fail totally in the future, or it might mean nothing and work fine for you for a long time to come (but still filling your logs with messages).

If you want to solve the messages, then you should do as I suggested, disconnect it and see if you can rule out the drive as the cause. Even if it functions fine for you. Troubleshooting often means doing things that don't make sense just to rule them out.

Thanks for your response, I will go ahead and try this next. I have attached a text file showing the latest errors that are appearing.

Attachments

• errors 1.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 129

My Computer

The outside vendor software protection that you stated is ranked #1. Kaspersky is #2 and Norton #5.

Optical CD - DVD-RW have indeed evolved over the past few years. They act differently than magnetic drives. The disc speed from sector to sector varies *( Not to be confused with RPM ) because the outer circumferences of the sectors have to travel faster than the inner sectors so that speed is set to be variable as data is written, or read. Some older drives cause problems. You will need to go to your firmware vendor to ascertain if there are current drivers and download those.

There are several programs on the Internet that facilitate obtaining all complete information about everything on your computer. Far more detailed that available on the computer in "properties".

Further on the matter of compatibility and updates, my Ariens Snow Flo blower needed some lubrication for the start of the season. My owners/operators manual, that I keep in my meticulous files, somehow evaded detection. So I went on the I-net to the manufacturer in Bristol, Wisconsin and found my model and serial number. When I tried to download it started, went about 40% then stalled. Locked up my computer completely. I phoned tech support and explained. The girl there said maybe my computer wasn't up to it. I replied that I had just bought a new computer a month old with Windows 8. She said: Funny that you mention that, I just bought a new laptop for home use with Win 8 and I have the same problem. I can't download on it but I can with the company computer. I'll E-mail the manual to you, 37 pages. It came through fine. But when I tried to open and read it I couldn't. So I went into my Adobe Reader site and updated it. Then - sure enough it read just fine without any problems.

There's a problem with Win 8 on WAN's wide area networks using a host NAS *( That's a computer something like a served without a monitor or keyboard ). The WAN's worked on Windows 7 but wouldn't recognize it/them in Windows 8. And Microsoft doesn't have a fix! But the IT professionals found one. They had to go into the registry and manually make alterations/additions. I phoned Netgear and spoke to tech support. They said it was above their level of expertise and referred me upstairs. The response was that so far as Netgear NAS's are concerned updating the driver is necessary for Win 8. I also spoke to a Staples representative, the local Guru and he said: Noone in Staples is equipped to deal with that.

As to Java, hopefully you saw the numerous posts here in the past couple of weeks about the problems.

Wiping, e.g., uninstalling the OS on the hard drive and reinstalling may not purge out all of the nasty's hiding out in the registry and in some programs such as Microsoft Office Word or even the trash bin. Mirror images of the files are kept *( Such as the restore feature that remembers all of your older ). MS Word too keeps a separate record of letters and text that is not in "documents" or recent places. A specialized software to dig it out is essentially mandatory.

Sounds as though you may have been attacked by a virus. That something corrupted files. And that the inherent peculiarities of Win 8 have outrun some of the other programs necessitating updates. Win 8 is certainly NOT Win 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
Here's DxDiag spec com

DxDiag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Problem with Windows Dxdiag Error ?

NEW:Jan-21-2013
Don't Worry - I'm here to help you fix it!
Windows Dxdiag Error is caused by misconfigured system files.

So, from my experience, If you got Dxdiag then there is a 96% chance that your computer has registry problems.
This error should be fixed immediately to prevent further damage to the Windows system.
To Fix the problem you need to follow the 3 steps :
Step 1:
ic_download.gif
Download & Install Error Repair Tool for Free. Note:If the download link doesn't work you may need to Download it Directly from Error Repair Tool Site Here
Step 2:
Click the "Start Scan" button.
Step 3:
Click the "Repair All" Button to Repair Your PC Errors!
Good Luck!
Scott Johnson Jan 21,2013

jhonson.jpg

Scott Johnson
Have experience of managing 5000 PCs for 5 years.

[h=3]My Experience[/h]http://search.smartaddressbar.com/web.php?s=dxDiag spec com:These are critical PC errors usually caused by a corrupt registry entry. To prevent further corruption to other hardware and applications on your PC, this error should be fixed immediately. Risks resulting from not repairing this error include system crashes, blue screens, and hardware failure.

[h=3]Solutions[/h]

I have tested 10 software to fix Dxdiag on my managed computer, finally I found this one works best.
Step 1:
Download & Install Error Repair Tool for Free.

Step 2:
Click the "Scan" button.

Step 3:
Click the 'Repair Problems' Button to Repair Your PC!

Here's a Fixit Wizkid website

Tutorial - Find Your Computer Specs With DXDiag | Computer and technology support forum and chat.

Same Wizkid ??????????????????????????????????????

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    HP
Hi All,

Just a quick message to say thanks for your additional responses, Unfortunately I was unaware of the Java Exploit until Security Essential's flagged the message up. However, I have now reinstalled Windows and ran the following software to check for any threats: Super AntiSpyWare, Malware Bytes and Eset Smart Security 6. I now also have Secunia PSI installed to keep track of programs that are installed on the computer and ensure that they are patched correctly. If anyone knows of any other additional programs to check for threats please feel free to post these. I have attached the latest errors in TXT file which was created in My Event Viewer. As you can see I am now getting a lot of WMI errors as well as some DCOM errors.

Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• errors 1.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 124

My Computer

Hi,

Just wondering if you have any suggestions on how I can go about trying to fix the WMI and DCOM errors?

Thanks,

My Computer

Hi,

Thanks for your response, I have attempted to follow the steps above to try and resolve the DCOM errors however, all the option are greyed out, as you can see from the attached screenshot. Do you know how I can get access to these options? My user account is set up as an administrator.

Attachments

• Windows Remote Shell Host.png
    Windows Remote Shell Host.png
    97.5 KB · Views: 135

My Computer

Back