Just a black screen and a cursor after 8.1 update

Success! I managed to get it working by downloading and reinstallling the Intel HD4000 drivers as per laloindublin's instructions above BEFORE the catalyst AMD drivers. This then allowed me to reboot in normal mode, and then install the catalyst drivers (had the driver detection error in safe mode).

You nailed the problem, as someone asked above also.. I remember now that first I had to install the buggy/new intel hd 4000 drivers in safemode. You may not be able to install the radeon drivers until you reboot in normal mode. Once all of that is accomplished, revert the hd4000 driver if you want brightness control back. I urge everyone to call samsung as I did, and let them know we don't appreciate their worthless approach to 8.1. The fact is, they've had months to test it and warn us if it's not functioning. As I explained to the rep (calmly) I could respect the fact they are having issues, but they made no effort to post anything on their site - or utilize one of their 5000 update applications that message me every single day, to deliver a freakin alert? For these reasons, Samsung is accountable for this mess - not the technical issue, but rather their lack of response to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Samsung Chronos 7
Just got done emailing my uncle and this is how we got mine to work.

1. Enter Safe mode with networking
2. Go to AMD website and download the newest beta driver released on 10/10/13.
3. Go to your device manger, disable your AMD graphics card.
4. Restart. It'll load in normally.
5. Run the installer.
6. Restart.

Hopefully that'll work for you too. AMD just apparently hasn't updated their mobile drivers for windows 8.1 yet.

Only thing now is the display is kind of dim. Im trying to figure out how to fix that now though.

10 / 10 Atrox.. This worked for me a treat today. Get your uncle on this forum!! Noticed the dimmness here too. The Fn buttons do nothing.. Cheers

My Computer

System One

• OS
i found if i downloaded the intel driver via the SW Update app and reinstalled it in safemode, when rebooted it came back with working brightness FN+F2/3 straight away. No need to revert anything.

thanks again for the help inn this forum, i'd have been goosed otherwise!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
I installed the lastest Nvidia drivers for my pc but this still occurs. However, after about 5 minutes my start screen will appear. How can I find out what is actually causing the long delay?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
Anyone else still having issues with this?

Installed the Intel driver, was able to boot in normal mode, then installed the Radeon beta driver, all is good but I'm still having the blurry text issues on my Chrome browser and a slight hit to the performance

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
I am using a desktop PC, with Nvidia graphics. When I boot into safe mode, I unintstall and remove the driver. But on restart, after logging in, the graphics driver appears to start re-installing on its own in the background (i notice the resolution change after a moment) and I still go to a black screen with cursor.

This is annoying. Starting to think its not my graphics driver but something else, but no idea how to figure it out. Why after a few minutes do things just boot up fine? Boots to desktop just fine in Safe Mode.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
Thank god I found this site.

About 6 hours ago I foolishly accepted windows 8.1 download expecting to be given the option to NOT install. Anyway it auto installed me and has rendered my costly samsung chrono laptop useless as you have all found. Its 3:00 AM now (in the UK) and I have tried all the press this while pressing that options in order to enter "safe mode" all to no avail. I also tried standing on my head and fiddling with the F8 key with my nose but that didnt work either.

More seriously, The system goes through the following screen sequence
1 Samsung screen with orbit round it (4 secs)
2. dark screen with light blue window in middle. The window has 4 panes and I dont think i have seen it before. (12 secs)
3. Text screen: "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. Were just collecting some error info , and then we will restart you." This last less than a second so there is no time to read it.
4. back to 1 above. i.e. we have a cyclic reboot

Powering off just restarts the cycle

Even More seriously, I also cant boot off the USB I carefully prepared a few months ago. The BIOS doesn't even have the HDD in the list (but clearly it must be implicitly there). It just has the following

1. USB FDD:
2. USB HDD: <name of my drive>
3. Network:

I swapped 1 and 2 and saved and exited bios. The boot caused the above sequence so it did not go to the USB stick. When I opened BIOS the sequence was back to the above sequence!!!!

Any ideas on how I configure BIOS to boot of USB with the info above?? Anyone else seen the sequence above?

So I am seriously stuck unable to boot of USB or get into safe mode. I am due to go hiking tomorrow but dont feel happy going without knowing whether my data is safe.

Any help would be appreciated.

( I also called Samsung and MS in US as the UK had gone home who were unhelpful.)

Thanks again

Astonished of UK (now 3:45 am)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1
O yes I also tried F4 which loads the recovery stuff. This produces the ominous message "corruption was found in booting file. Do you wish to recover booting file?" If I say yes will all my data be lost?

Thanks

Astonished.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1
Windows 8.1 upgrade reboots to black screen of 'nothingness'. - OUC1TOO - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Error 0xC1900101 ? 0x40017 when installing Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Community

Microsoft Forum Moderator said:
Error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017 when installing Windows 8.1

Hello,

We understand that many customers are receiving error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017 when installing Windows 8.1. This error is typically caused by an incompatible driver.

If you are receiving this error:
First, please double-check the error code. There are many variations of error 0xC1900101, each with a different location code -- the error extension, located after the dash. The information in this thread is intended only for location code 0x40017. If you are receiving a different location code, these steps are unlikely to resolve your issue.

Check that you’ve already updated all of your drivers. In particular, if you have an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, make sure you’ve installed the latest Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Check that you do not have any Frequently Asked Questions - What devices are supported by the SteelSeries Engine? that support the SteelSeries Engine installed on your PC. The SteelSeries Engine software is currently not supported on Windows 8.1. Please uninstall the software before attempting to update to Windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Someone please help me. I just installed 8.1 on my Samsung Series 7 Chronos laptop and it's now unusable. All I get after a reboot now is a blank screen and a vanishing cursor. I can't do CTRL+ALT+DEL or any other button combination. I also can't seem to be able to do a system restore as a restore point doesn't seem to exist for some odd reason. I've also tried the boot into low res mode but I get the same result. The only thing that seems to work is booting into Safe Mode with Networking but that doesn't allow me to install/uninstall anything so it's pretty much useless.

Please help! :(

Just spoke to Samsung and they after trying and failing to roll back my graphic driver (AMD Radeon HD 8800M) in device manager, they said I needed to System Restore. Absolutely furious. Apparently the 8.1 update - which autoupdated itself on my computer without me realising - isn't compatible with my Samsung Series 7. Go figure...

According to other forums you can disable and add a new graphics driver, but I lack the knowledge to do this.

Did you find a fix? I really want to avoid system restore...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
chat.jpg
Hi all. Windows 8.1 worked for a while after I installed the beta AMD drivers for my Samsung Series 7 laptop. However, I started to get the boot errors recently. I eventually had to reinstall Windows 8 because it got to a point where I could not even boot at all or restore. Silly me updated to 8.1 again after reinstalling Windows 8. Now I have the boot errors again. Sometimes I don't have any problems, sometimes I do. I chatted with Samsung. Screenshot attached. Hope it helps someone...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
black screen, movable mouse, no key responce

Im having a problem with the dell switch laptop... and i cant even boot to safe mode.. Black screen right after the windows logo i can see and move the mouse but no keys work (ctl + alt + del) nothing, i have tried a system restore but it says there is no previous restore point and i also tried several system repairs but i keeps saying that nothing is wrong, any thoughts?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
When you are at the black blank screen, do CTRL+ALT+DEL, then select task manager
Then click on File in the upper left,
run a new task and
type "cmd" or "control" or "control appiz.cpl" (Depends on the selection below)
and check "run this program as administrator"

To Open Control Panel - type control
Add/Remove Programs - type control appwiz.cpl
(for uninstalling software - e.g StartIsBack)

To open Device Manager in Command Prompt
type cmd
at command prompt, type devmgmt.msc
(for removing display drivers)

To Open Internet Explorer in Command Prompt
type cmd
at command prompt, type start iexplore.exe
(for downloading display drivers)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 and 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
Other Graphic Driver

Just got done emailing my uncle and this is how we got mine to work.

1. Enter Safe mode with networking
2. Go to AMD website and download the newest beta driver released on 10/10/13.
3. Go to your device manger, disable your AMD graphics card.
4. Restart. It'll load in normally.
5. Run the installer.
6. Restart.

Hopefully that'll work for you too. AMD just apparently hasn't updated their mobile drivers for windows 8.1 yet.

Only thing now is the display is kind of dim. Im trying to figure out how to fix that now though.

excuse Me I have this problem too but i think mine is different two month ago i upgrade my PC and until that idont hvae problems with my old PC and windows 8.1 works great but in new pc after instaling graphic card it happens if i do somthing that you say is it works? by the way my graphic card is nVIDIA and i have the latest version of its driver in upgrade just i didnt upgrade my grphic card exept that i upgraded all of them my new pc is(Moterboard:z97x-soc force Graphic card: nVIDIA 9800 GT RAM: 8GB )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hi I have the same issue as last poster and roughly same pc specs. I can't boot info safe mode using f8 and can only occasionally get to the blue recovery options page. In addition I've done numerous sfc/scannow attempts and even though it runs it doesn't fix the issue. I have a system restore file but I get a (0X80070005) error after it has finished and it doesn't work. Clt Alt Del on the black flickering screen does nothing aswell. Thanks for any help you can provide.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    intel
    Motherboard
    gigabyte z87 oc
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800gt
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer
Hi I have the same issue as last poster and roughly same pc specs. I can't boot info safe mode using f8 and can only occasionally get to the blue recovery options page. In addition I've done numerous sfc/scannow attempts and even though it runs it doesn't fix the issue. I have a system restore file but I get a (0X80070005) error after it has finished and it doesn't work. Clt Alt Del on the black flickering screen does nothing aswell. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Run---

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

& then sfc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
in C:Windows\System32 or X:?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    intel
    Motherboard
    gigabyte z87 oc
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800gt
    Monitor(s) Displays
    acer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeLhRzFYch4. Followed this exactly and it either says the system cannot find the path specified. For X:. Error 50 Dism does not support servicing Windows PE with the /ONline option. Also C: Access is denied dialog box?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    intel
    Motherboard
    gigabyte z87 oc
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9800gt