Initially HATED Metro, now I made my system great with it!

I have to agree to a point. RD is certainly the fastest way to get at programs, folders or websites. I use it mainly for websites and folders. My programs I put into a Toolbar. There I can make subfolders and organize things by subject. If you have a lot of programs, like 50+, that is convenient.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hmm maybe they should just remove the superbar and make a rocket dock thing like Mac OSx. I mean that would be a radical change for windows users and then have the stuff to get to the usual start stuff on a top bar menu on the top of the screen. Seems like Rocket Dock makes things faster to get to for quite a few people. Maybe it will be easier for most.

I don't hate metro I actually like the idea. The execution however is where the problem lies. From what it seems you are working around the metro screen. That is where the problem lies. Users shouldn't have to work around the interface. It should be easy to use right from the start. The fact that you have to set things up and work around their default set up means they didn't make it easy for a user but instead more difficult.

My Computer

From what it seems you are working around the metro screen. That is where the problem lies. Users shouldn't have to work around the interface. It should be easy to use right from the start. The fact that you have to set things up and work around their default set up means they didn't make it easy for a user but instead more difficult.

I don't work 'around' the metro. I make full use of it. In fact, the more I use Windows8, the less I use the desktop. In Windows7 I made full use of the toolbars and Rocket Dock - and hardly used the Start menu. But in Windows8, that will no more be required. I only wish that we can change the colors of the tiles so that the various groups of tiles (programs and folders) can be easier distinguished.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
How is this any different than not using Metro at all. Just create short-cuts, for the same applications, on the 'legacy' desktop, then you've got one less layer - Metro - to think about.
Then you just killed the whole point of the Start Menu concept, and revert back to Windows 1, 2, and 3.....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
From what it seems you are working around the metro screen. That is where the problem lies. Users shouldn't have to work around the interface. It should be easy to use right from the start. The fact that you have to set things up and work around their default set up means they didn't make it easy for a user but instead more difficult.

I don't work 'around' the metro. I make full use of it. In fact, the more I use Windows8, the less I use the desktop. In Windows7 I made full use of the toolbars and Rocket Dock - and hardly used the Start menu. But in Windows8, that will no more be required. I only wish that we can change the colors of the tiles so that the various groups of tiles (programs and folders) can be easier distinguished.
Aha! You want to tweak your Start Screen?....
http://www.eightforums.com/customization/4410-all-who-want-tweak-start-screen-consumer-preview.html
DONE! :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
How is this any different than not using Metro at all. Just create short-cuts, for the same applications, on the 'legacy' desktop, then you've got one less layer - Metro - to think about.
Then you just killed the whole point of the Start Menu concept, and revert back to Windows 1, 2, and 3.....

I don't really use the Start menu at all, so the loss of it, in which ever form it's implemented, would not matter to me one way or the other. However, the comment above was simply pointing out that pinning ones icons to the desktop is fundamentally the same as having loads of tiles on the Metro start page. The point being, if one pins icons to the desktop, why bother having Metro, at least for the point and click launch aspect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860