HP brings back Windows 7 'by popular demand'...,

HP really wants people to buy a Windows 7 PC instead of a Windows 8 machine. The PC maker has been emailing customers over the weekend noting that "Windows 7 is back." A new promotion, designed to entice people to select Windows 7 over Windows 8 with $150 of "savings," has launched on HP’s website with a "back by popular demand" slogan. The move is clearly designed to position Windows 7 over Microsoft’s touch-centric Windows 8 operating system.

HP brings back Windows 7 'by popular demand' | The Verge

Queue the barely concealed insults from the tifkam fanbase.

They are finally getting smart and sell what people want. Nothing wrong with 8 and 8.1, but those versions did certainly not win the popularity contest. A company liks HP has to produce what sells and not what some MS strategists have dreamt up. I applaud HP - back to reality and an end to confusion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
There should have always been a choice between the ultimate realization of all of MS's work to date creating the perfect Desktop Experience in Windows 7 , and a new phone or touchscreen OS like Windows 8. That there wasn't is the greatest product launch disaster since New Coke, except that Coca Cola corrected it immediately and didn't insist on pushing forward with an Apple business plan that doesn't work at all. If you don't see the connection between this and not being able to find a new CEO with Bill Gates heading the Search Committee, you've not been paying attention.

Just read the PC reviews on Best Buy which are nearly unanimous in outrage and confusion over Windows 8. I can't imagine it being a worse disaster if they replaced the best OS ever with a Playskool interface and then tried to hide copies of the only successful OS! :huh: Oh, wait....that's exactly what they've done!

I was receiving the MS IT Pro newsletter Springboard monthly for several years during which they tried to scare business into Windows 8 Secure Boot by threatening BIOS infections which we strangely never see at Seven Forums. Business responded by going nearly lockstep from XP into Win7, which kinda flummoxes the plan to smother Win7 in its crib.

I wondered why at Global MVP Summits when I'd mention to MS execs what a resounding success Win7 is that they'd have this blank expression. Only at the most recent one did they ask top forums producers to a Focus Group where our opinion was sought and given bluntly. But it seems it's too late, and those decisions are made at much higher levels. Maybe they'll find a CEO with fresh unblindered eyes.

Until then the advocacy for the best OS ever and one of the greatest achievements in tech history defaults to its home since Beta, Seven Forums. We're still awaiting a SP2, perhaps with some of the few actual Eight improvements, which could also I suppose be called Windows 9. A billion customers earned with a perfect desktop experience deserve no less.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
^^^ Excellent.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
There should have always been a choice between the ultimate realization of all of MS's work to date creating the perfect Desktop Experience in Windows 7 , and a new phone or touchscreen OS like Windows 8. That there wasn't is the greatest product launch disaster since New Coke, except that Coca Cola corrected it immediately and didn't insist on pushing forward with an Apple business plan that doesn't work at all. If you don't see the connection between this and not being able to find a new CEO with Bill Gates heading the Search Committee, you've not been paying attention.

Just read the PC reviews on Best Buy which are nearly unanimous in outrage and confusion over Windows 8. I can't imagine it being a worse disaster if they replaced the best OS ever with a Playskool interface and then tried to hide copies of the only successful OS! :huh: Oh, wait....that's exactly what they've done!

I was receiving the MS IT Pro newsletter Springboard monthly for several years during which they tried to scare business into Windows 8 Secure Boot by threatening BIOS infections which we strangely never see at Seven Forums. Business responded by going nearly lockstep from XP into Win7, which kinda flummoxes the plan to smother Win7 in its crib.

I wondered why at Global MVP Summits when I'd mention to MS execs what a resounding success Win7 is that they'd have this blank expression. Only at the most recent one did they ask top forums producers to a Focus Group where our opinion was sought and given bluntly. But it seems it's too late, and those decisions are made at much higher levels. Maybe they'll find a CEO with fresh unblindered eyes.

Until then the advocacy for the best OS ever and one of the greatest achievements in tech history defaults to its home since Beta, Seven Forums. We're still awaiting a SP2, perhaps with some of the few actual Eight improvements, which could also I suppose be called Windows 9. A billion customers earned with a perfect desktop experience deserve no less.

We need a "like" button...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Greg, thanks for such a good summary that expresses the opinions of many of us - not all though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
~snip and I've had enough experience with them to know ~snip

And there it is. You've had enough experience to know. Perfect.

Will you now accept that others too have had enough experience "to know", and do not need to have your demeaning comments directed towards them simply because they reject your beloved metro based on their own "enough experience"...???
I don't know what you're trying to make me say, I just don't like HP altogether. I could give a flying cat's crap less about if they do a Windows 7 promo because it's still a sale of Windows either way. I don't like their PC designs, their cooling designs, nor their printers. Ever since they started to design their pavilions and AIO PCs like mac clones, I lost all respect I had for them. If you can't innovate without copying someone, to me, you are useless and add nothing to the mix.

You're confused.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
There's still "popular" demand for HP? Poor cooling designs, MacBook clones, printers that collapse and die from just being looked at, and the overall lack of genuine innovation? Ok...

Instead, they should take a page out of Lenovo's book. You don't see them pulling this sort of thing.

Anyways, I was reading around and the reason why HP's doing this is to basically give Microsoft the middle finger because Microsoft isn't being too keen on them as of late with their chromebook launch.

Out of the few dozen installs I've done with Windows 8/8.1 and being able to convince people, WITH LOGIC, why and how Windows 8.1 is better than 7 (of course customizing parts of the UI so it isn't too scary); I don't get it.

I agree hp sucks in my opinion, every hp computer/ laptop i have worked on in the past 10 yrs had a problem, mostly hardware, hd failure, cd burners break, mother board failure, and add for laptops keys pop out of keyboards, touch mouse gets stuck, monitor dies, I will not sell or advise a hp printer, either the printer jams up after a month or the softwares screws up the 0S.

I can see why they would want to go back to windows 7, they cannot get anything to work right with windows 8.

10 yrs ago hp was pretty good in printers only, only they decided to go pc more and messed up printers and the pc

Seriously.

It's always been laptops for me that overheat due to poor cooling solutions and the utter lack of access to clean out the heatsink. If you want to do that, you have to disassemble the WHOLE laptop, few dozen screws and all, JUST to clean out the heatsink!

I stopped recommending HP about four years ago because of issues with their laptops have been passed on to new generations of laptops that are built literally to overheat and fail. That, and they've been designing their PCs recently like they're macbooks or something. A friend of mine recently bought an HP Split X2 (they need to update their drivers for Windows 8.1 too) in part because it looks like a mac.

For me, it's ASUS all the way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
It's always been laptops for me that overheat due to poor cooling solutions and the utter lack of access to clean out the heatsink. If you want to do that, you have to disassemble the WHOLE laptop, few dozen screws and all, JUST to clean out the heatsink!

So, HP does not make\have never made models like, for example, this one? > Review HP ProBook 6570b (B6P88EA) Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews Quote: "The large maintenance panel can be opened without tools" "The cooling system is entirely accessible".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
Over the Xmas I bought a new HP m7j020dx (64 bit) with Windows 8. My previous experience was with XP and then Windows 7, with the latter working best for me. I later upgraded to $Win 8.1 Pro on this latest laptop. Trying to work with it but I am really not "charmed" with this OS or the bloatware from HP. The desktop option works ok and touchscreen on a laptop is absolutely useless for me. If I thought I could get all the drivers for Windows 7 x64 then I would change and even buy a new Win 7 OS..I may yet talk to HP about Win 7 but don't have great expectations on that score....

As a working PC Tech, I can certainly relate to that, with a resounding "Hurah!" and maybe even a "Yikes!".

I can certainly relate to anyone who doesn't like the look or feel of Windows 8.
I've had to set up several PC's now, with Windows 8 on them and without the "Classic Shell", the new owners
would be completely lost.

Having Windows 8 on my own laptop for several months, I've wiped the drive and reloaded Windows 7.
Incompatibilities in Windows 8 were most of the problem. Windows 7 seems to just run everything.

I wonder how many other PC makers will follow HP's lead. ???

Nice post!
TechnoMage :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP m7j020dx
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    8GB
Over the Xmas I bought a new HP m7j020dx (64 bit) with Windows 8. My previous experience was with XP and then Windows 7, with the latter working best for me. I later upgraded to $Win 8.1 Pro on this latest laptop. Trying to work with it but I am really not "charmed" with this OS or the bloatware from HP. The desktop option works ok and touchscreen on a laptop is absolutely useless for me. If I thought I could get all the drivers for Windows 7 x64 then I would change and even buy a new Win 7 OS..I may yet talk to HP about Win 7 but don't have great expectations on that score....

As a working PC Tech, I can certainly relate to that, with a resounding "Hurah!" and maybe even a "Yikes!".

I can certainly relate to anyone who doesn't like the look or feel of Windows 8.
I've had to set up several PC's now, with Windows 8 on them and without the "Classic Shell", the new owners
would be completely lost.

Having Windows 8 on my own laptop for several months, I've wiped the drive and reloaded Windows 7.
Incompatibilities in Windows 8 were most of the problem. Windows 7 seems to just run everything.

I wonder how many other PC makers will follow HP's lead. ???

Nice post!
TechnoMage :cool:

yeah its all about good research ,like why but a touch screen if we don't think we will use it ,and not to do a bit of research to see what others think of win8 before we buy it, as for bloatware it on all new oem computer ,and easily rid of by going to [add and remove] programs and features in control panel .
give win8.1 a go it takes a bit to get use to ,like setting it to boot to the desktop first .the one I use the most to get around ,right click on the windows icon lower left corner ,ect ect

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
right click on the windows icon lower left corner
That was a good idea but they could not even order the entries alphabetically. Shows how poor their implementation is. I rather use the toolbar for that. At least my entries are in the right order.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
maybe there in order of popularity

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info

So, HP does not make\have never made models like, for example, this one? > Review HP ProBook 6570b (B6P88EA) Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews Quote: "The large maintenance panel can be opened without tools" "The cooling system is entirely accessible".

That would be nice...only if it wasn't a business class PC. There is a HUGE difference between a business and a consumer oriented PC, business ones are DESIGNED to be repaired easily by IT departments and the makers keep parts for those lying around for several years.

As far as I've seen and heard of, HP has yet to build a consumer grade PC that is easy to open and clean out like this. In fact, most OEMs build consumer grade PCs to not be so easy to open up as they're trying to flaunt off thin and light designs than anything versus reparability among other things.

You really haven't had the displeasure of disassembling a Pavilion laptop I take? ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
maybe there in order of popularity

In order of who's popularity.

2014-01-21_1805.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
was just a tong and cheek comment ,
average users[average being,net browsers/email/facebook ect ect ] don't use but one or two of them

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
They probably only use the shutdown, LOL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I really liked a Best Buy HP 17" laptop with Core i3 4000 Haswell and was amazed at the $399 deal, but was surprised at the flimsy power adapter port and plug which fell out whenever I moved the laptop even slightly. Had to take it back.

I wonder if it's because it's a business laptop that my HP 510 travel laptop has lasted 10 years and still running fast with only a gig of RAM and Celeron single core? It feels like solid steel by comparison.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7
More likely because it was made ten years ago.

Most recent stuff is flimsy in comparison, not just computer stuff.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
More likely because it was made ten years ago.

Most recent stuff is flimsy in comparison, not just computer stuff.

Got a Sony power amplifier here that amplifies my computer and instruments, from ~1970 that will bring any house down and put anything made today to shame, while sounding better than anything you can buy today unless you are rich.

Like they say - they don't make 'em like they used ta. "Planned obsolescence."

I've never had to repair it in any way, or even do any maintenance either, besides some switch cleaning from the outside.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon