Solved How's everyones Windows 8 experience going?

Great, it's fast (even without ssd on a desktop with Athlon CPU) but with ssd, it's super fast, I like it :thumbsup:

What I look for mostly in a OS is how it performs. Windows 8 blows Windows 7 out of the water in the performance department, in my opinion. Not only the boot times, but HDD access and response times are faster.

In my experience, Win8 is a bit snappier in some functions than Win7, but not in others. "Blows out of the water" is certainly not how I would put it.

+1 to that. I guess it depends on the hardware but Windows 8 wasn't that much faster on my rig than Windows 7 is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Great, it's fast (even without ssd on a desktop with Athlon CPU) but with ssd, it's super fast, I like it :thumbsup:

What I look for mostly in a OS is how it performs. Windows 8 blows Windows 7 out of the water in the performance department, in my opinion. Not only the boot times, but HDD access and response times are faster.

In my experience, Win8 is a bit snappier in some functions than Win7, but not in others. "Blows out of the water" is certainly not how I would put it.

In the case of my hardware, W8 blows W7 out of the water. This was, of course, my opinion. Different hardware will perform differently.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
Most here know I'm a faboi and have been since I first booted up 8 RP back in early June. I liked the idea, looks of the Start Screen, and the Live tiles for at-a-glance info rather than the Start Menu and desktop gadgets. I think it to be safer and more resource efficient.

It is definitely faster than 7 on my older Acer. No need to buy a new machine, although I will upgrade to a video card and a HDD along with a touch monitor, which has been long coming anyway. The onboard video on this machine has always been the lowest score. I will use my present monitor to dual monitor with, which will be a first for me.

I have always been a shortcut keys guy, so navigation speed in 8 is no different for me, in fact I think I get around faster. I just never took a liking to the mouse, not to say I don't use it at all. Shortcut keys to me is a saving grace for 8 on a desktop PC that's meant for other touch devices. I think the touch monitor will aid greatly.

All in all, I'm enjoying the experience greatly. Thanks for starting the thread, LovingWindows. :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Thanks for starting the thread, Kebero. :)

Not sure who Kebero is, since I'm the one that started this thread. :p

:eek: So sorry. My mistake. I was on my phone and I thought I was on the OP. Edited my post. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

That said, I will add this post with Alt/S since I'm now on my PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I consider it a side-grade. There's nothing really that I am overly excited about. I upgraded, and quickly realized that for me personally there's no need for the start screen, it's pretty much a huge waste of space for the 10 seconds of "eye-candy" you get while launching an app. It's disabled and I'm in desktop full time, so I'd say it's just like Windows 7, without Aero visuals - and with a new taskmanager/filecopy window. Barely noticed a difference in boot times either. Was it worth $40? I don't know, to me it's borderline...but I've spent $40 on worse things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I've had 3 stages of experience with it. Stage 1: I hated it. Stage 2: I didn't mind it. Stage 3: I like it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
The OS itself, I love. Apart from the butchery MS has carried out on it.

But there's a LOT that I hate.

EUFI, secure-boot, the cloud, the arrogant way they pulled Aero and gadgets, and
the unacceptable activation hassles.

As does the direction it is trying to push me (subscription services, everything in the cloud and only
accessible after PAYING, removal of control, touch-screens etc).

And I simply won't go there. NOT gonna happen.

Best-case scenario....a hack to put Metro and the new file copy/move and task-manager into Win 7.

Likely scenario....Staying with 7 and brushing-up on my Linux skills.

I demand FULL access and control over MY OS, which is why I chose IBM/Windows over Apple
in the first place and now Microsoft IS taking that away.

That's OK, I'll simply take my patronage away.

MS has a potentially great OS here, but their attitude and direction SUCKS!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
I consider it a side-grade. There's nothing really that I am overly excited about. I upgraded, and quickly realized that for me personally there's no need for the start screen, it's pretty much a huge waste of space for the 10 seconds of "eye-candy" you get while launching an app. It's disabled and I'm in desktop full time, so I'd say it's just like Windows 7, without Aero visuals - and with a new taskmanager/filecopy window. Barely noticed a difference in boot times either. Was it worth $40? I don't know, to me it's borderline...but I've spent $40 on worse things.

That's pretty much how I feel. Even though it was "only" $40, I still get a twinge of buyer's remorse once in a while. Silly me - it's not like I didn't know what I was getting into. I've used every version from the DP to the CP to the RP and even the free eval RTM version.

And once in a while I play around with it for a few days running, and it seems not so bad. I'm to the point now where if I could just do some decent theming on the desktop I'd be a lot happier, but the "flat" look is unpleasant to me.

I use StartIsBack, and never see even a flicker of Metro unless I want to, which is seldom (and only out of idle curiosity - I have found no app with any utility to me, unless you count Solitaire :) . I've tried to give it a chance, using tips from Coke Robot and a couple of other of the enthusiastic folks around here, but it's just too much a yank.

In any case, I'm still dual booting with Win7 for the time being... I have to believe that further tweakability will come to the desktop. It would be so easy for MS to facilitate, and make a lot of people very pleased.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Dual Pentium E2180 (2 GHz)
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
So far it seems fairly OK but I haven't played around with all of the important little details yet. I am using Classic Shell and I find myself trying to avoid Metro UI like the plague because it really IS counterproductive for the typical "non touch" type of user IMO, but that's pretty much old news by now I guess. :p Another major annoyance that simply shouldn't have been there IMO is the fact choosing a dark color for the taskbar and windows borders results in the user being forced into reading invisible text. Switching to high contrast theme resulted in most of my Metro tiles being replaced with empty solid white boxes. Bummer, eh?
One of the things I DO like is that Netlimiter Pro 3 appears to be capable of controlling traffic caused by Windows Printer and File Sharing, something which AFAIK is not possible in Windows 7.

EDIT: The problem with the blank Metro tiles in the (white) high contrast theme was apparently related to a theme that I had downloaded from another thread on this forum (and installed by simply unzipping the .deskthemepack file and then doubleclicking on it). When I deleted this theme from Windows, the problem went away.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus R510L
    CPU
    i7 4510U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 820M
    Sound Card
    Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Supreme; Emotiva UMC-200; Astell & Kern AK240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 42LH5000
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB internal; 45TB external
    PSU
    Li-ion
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech G400
    Internet Speed
    20Mbit/s up, 200Mbit/s down
    Browser
    IE 11
All goes well here!
Still customizing the start screen, using AeroLite themes..., testing, installing...

Like it so far.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Slowly but surely I am getting use to the Metro start screen and although I can log out and switch to the Windows 7 classic start menu, I find myself doing it less and less all the time. I don't know if there is a sort of break in period for Windows 8, but it seams to boot up much faster now than it did when I first installed it. So far, I haven't had any serious glitches and my opinion of 8 is steadily getting better and better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CyberPower
    CPU
    i5 2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Memory
    8 gigabytes Corsair PC3-12800 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 superclocked
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic 23" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    128 Gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    128 Gb Kingston Hyper X SSD
    1 Tb Western Digital Caviar Black HDD
    PSU
    1000 watt Coolermaster modular
    Case
    Coolermaster Haf X full tower
    Cooling
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitec M310 USB cordless
    Internet Speed
    1.5 mb/s download 300 kb/s upload
Loved it day one with the Developer Preview over a year ago, loved it more with the Consumer Preview, mildly curious at the Release Preview, love the RTM even though I was expecting some more UI changes on the Desktop; but continue to like it more and more.

Overall, it's a great OS. It has a new UI and a familiar UI that CAN and DO work together. I love using some of the apps, like Music Info. I'm liking the way how 8 uses much less system resource than 7, has built in anti-virus and has some more beefier protection. It's easier to repair an installation, and it empathizes with you when things go bad with the new BSOD :( . The new bootloader doesn't make me feel like I'm using a DOS dinosaur to blow up a nuclear facility anymore, and less superfluous recommending booting into Safe Mode because the battery died. Easier updating where updates don't really even feel like they happen, and never pester you unless vitally needed. Automatic Maintenance basically makes it idiot proof as EVERY Preview edition of Windows 8 I've ran has NEVER had progressively slower boot time, or any other traditionally related registry gunk that builds up and slows some crap down, like the Windows before. It has some refined backup methods with File History and Storage Spaces, which I'll be taking advantage of soon. It can be configured to pull out an umbrella to not have the cloud rain on you, or you can just dance in the rain...of the cloud. :) SkyDrive and other cloud services do a nice job of trickling data down to the OS and apps so seamless experiences occur, such as a Word document on a Windows Phone to Word 2013 and your SkyDrive folder.

It's also more exciting too. I'm sorry, but the new Windows 8 PCs are more cooler and interesting the Windows 7 era ones. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Loved it day one with the Developer Preview over a year ago, loved it more with the Consumer Preview, mildly curious at the Release Preview, love the RTM even though I was expecting some more UI changes on the Desktop; but continue to like it more and more.

Overall, it's a great OS. It has a new UI and a familiar UI that CAN and DO work together. I love using some of the apps, like Music Info. I'm liking the way how 8 uses much less system resource than 7, has built in anti-virus and has some more beefier protection. It's easier to repair an installation, and it empathizes with you when things go bad with the new BSOD :( . The new bootloader doesn't make me feel like I'm using a DOS dinosaur to blow up a nuclear facility anymore, and less superfluous recommending booting into Safe Mode because the battery died. Easier updating where updates don't really even feel like they happen, and never pester you unless vitally needed. Automatic Maintenance basically makes it idiot proof as EVERY Preview edition of Windows 8 I've ran has NEVER had progressively slower boot time, or any other traditionally related registry gunk that builds up and slows some crap down, like the Windows before. It has some refined backup methods with File History and Storage Spaces, which I'll be taking advantage of soon. It can be configured to pull out an umbrella to not have the cloud rain on you, or you can just dance in the rain...of the cloud. :) SkyDrive and other cloud services do a nice job of trickling data down to the OS and apps so seamless experiences occur, such as a Word document on a Windows Phone to Word 2013 and your SkyDrive folder.

It's also more exciting too. I'm sorry, but the new Windows 8 PCs are more cooler and interesting the Windows 7 era ones. :geek:

You really are something, Cokie. More cooler? Holy crap, it's just computers, which some of us use to get work done. Not fashion statements, but tools. I'm sorry, but get a grip!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
You really are something, Cokie. More cooler? Holy crap, it's just computers, which some of us use to get work done. Not fashion statements, but tools. I'm sorry, but get a grip!

Please do not flame bait in my thread, thank you very much.

For your information, I use my computer to work and Windows 8 helps me do it even faster.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop

Hey, Sgage--Everyone has a different way of expressing themselves. You should be more cooler when you read how another expresses how he/she feels about something. That would be real cool if you could do that.:):p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG

Some of us just enjoy the finer things in life I guess. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

Please do not flame bait in my thread, thank you very much.

For your information, I use my computer to work and Windows 8 helps me do it even faster.

In what way was my post flame bait? It's OK to gush over how much you love Win8 without any real world push back? My godz, Coke Robot is an over the top fanboi! And good for him, but holy crap, let's call a spade a spade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT

Hey, Sgage--Everyone has a different way of expressing themselves. You should be more cooler when you read how another expresses how he/she feels about something. That would be real cool if you could do that.:):p

Yes, just so long as it's over the top fan-boi-ism for Win8. It would be so cool if you could roll with how I express myself, but I guess if you're not on board, screw you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Compac Presario SR5518F
    CPU
    Motherboard
    MS-7525 (Boston)
    Memory
    4 GB