Solved How to Migrate OS to new Hard disk.

Does anyone know how I can migrate my OS to a 3TB drive? When I get to the stage in Paragon where it shows me what the new hard disk partitions will look like it'll unallocate 700gb of space.

Your OS is NOT installed in UEFI mode.
As your screenshot shows in your other thread.
http://www.eightforums.com/general-...m-reserved-partitions-after-migrating-os.html

As the new MOBO's now have a uEFI/BIOS firmware.
How to install Windows 64 bit on a uEFI/BIOS firmware:

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Help Forums
or
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html

For more info on uEFI:
Windows and GPT FAQ
Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
UEFI Firmware
Technical Note: UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS, Advantech(EN) - YouTube
Sample: Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Does anyone know how I can migrate my OS to a 3TB drive? When I get to the stage in Paragon where it shows me what the new hard disk partitions will look like it'll unallocate 700gb of space.

Your OS is NOT installed in UEFI mode.
As your screenshot shows in your other thread.
http://www.eightforums.com/general-...m-reserved-partitions-after-migrating-os.html

As the new MOBO's now have a uEFI/BIOS firmware.
How to install Windows 64 bit on a uEFI/BIOS firmware:

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Help Forums
or
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a.html

If I do this would I have to transfer all my files and redownload my programs manually? Seeing as it's pretty much a clean install with W8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Easy Peasy

Open Easus right click on partition ( or use top menu Partition) left click on 'Hide Partition' job done

Keith

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bt
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus Aspire
    CPU
    Sempron 2.8
    Motherboard
    Asrock
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768
    Hard Drives
    2 x ide
    1 x sata
    Internet Speed
    Up to 24 :)
Easy Peasy

1. Open Easus

2. select Partition on top menu

3. select Hide Partition

4. Click OK

5. Job Done

Keith

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bt
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus Aspire
    CPU
    Sempron 2.8
    Motherboard
    Asrock
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1024 x 768
    Hard Drives
    2 x ide
    1 x sata
    Internet Speed
    Up to 24 :)

hi Theog, someone referred me to this page.

I am planning to migrate my OS from 1TB HDD to 1TB SSD Samsung 840 Evo.

The OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit.

1. Is your steps on page 1 still applicable for my purpose?
2. My OS is as you can see Windows 8.1 64 bit. Is there anything different or extra I need to do?
3. Once I completed the migration, I put the SSD in and boot it normally. Do I need to press F12 or anything else to adjust any
settings?
4. Since I am migrating from 1TB to 1TB and don't want to shrink or resize, which options/checkboxes I need to check for step
#8? What's the difference between "HD raw copy and "partitions raw copy" under the copy options?

Thank you for your help, Theog

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
@ dreinto

Never used the options, I always use default setting.

As you have Windows 8.1, if are using Paragon, you need to use Paragon 14 & not 12.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
@ dreinto

Never used the options, I always use default setting.

As you have Windows 8.1, if are using Paragon, you need to use Paragon 14 & not 12.

Hi Theog

sorry for the stupid question, but I am literally just starting to learn this whole thing.

Once I completed the migration, I put the SSD in and boot it normally. Do I need to press F12 or anything else to adjust any settings?
also, will paragon migrate over all the hidden important partitions including the one key recovery?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
@ dreinto

Once I completed the migration, I put the SSD in and boot it normally. Do I need to press F12 or anything else to adjust any settings?

Should boot up with NO problems.

also, will paragon migrate over all the hidden important partitions including the one key recovery?

YES, all partitions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Hi theog, other helping with the migration, will paragon install any firmwares? Are you aware of any?

NO, only installs Paragon files needed, may download some files from MS for the Recovery bootable USB drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
@ dreinto

For Paragon 14,
it a USB drive that you can boot to Paragon 14 from USB drive.

Ray-5.png

For your OEM manufacturer's PC

Have you made the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

information   Information

We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD. (Windows 8 only)
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html (Windows 8 only)

OEM Recovery 001 theog.PNG

I would recommend you making the OEM manufacturer's Recovery DVD's or USB drive.
or
You can order the Microsoft official OEM Recovery disks from the OEM manufacturer's website.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Hi Theog

sorry but I thought we can just download the Paragon 14 free trial on the computer directly and do the migration by launching the Paragon 14 aps from the computer? Are you saying that I need to download the Paragon 14 program on a USB drive and launch the aps from the USB drive instead from the computer?

secondly, I think you are suggesting me to make the recovery and system repair disc or USB stick just in case if something goes wrong? Or do I need to run either of these discs right after I finish with migrating the OS using the Paragon 14?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
You can use Paragon 14 paid for, from the desktop or USB drive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
You can use Paragon 14 paid for, from the desktop or USB drive.

Are you saying that the free trial one is not available via laptop? I'm confused why I have to get the paid one.

secondly, I think you are suggesting me to make the recovery and system repair disc or USB stick just in case if something goes wrong? Or do I need to run either of these discs right after I finish with migrating the OS using the Paragon 14?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Have you made the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?
You will need the disks if you PC breakdown at any time.

Paragon 14 free trial is only a DEMO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Ok. I will make the recovery discs. Are there any difference between the recovery disc that the manufacture sells and the one that you create yourself? If not, why they sell it where you can do it for free yourself?

Also, do you have experience or knowledge with the Samsung data migration software that included with the SSD that they sell? Will this work the same as Paragon?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Ok. I will make the recovery discs. Are there any difference between the recovery disc that the manufacture sells and the one that you create yourself? If not, why they sell it where you can do it for free yourself?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/33164-how-download-windows-8-1-iso-60.html#post337534

theog said:
The first OEM manufacturer's PC I had, was Window 3.1, which came with a OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app to make Recovery Floppy disks.

Why people DO NOT MAKE the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks, is unknown.
I think I know why ,they just cant be bothered !!

I been around computer for years ,I took a real interest in my first 386/win3.11,learning on my own how to use it ,take it apart repair it ,ect ect ,the rest of my family and my wife's family bought them too,used them ,but never took the interest like I did ,that was back in 1996,
I still have to create there recovery media for most if not all of them [ some of them are school teachers ,lawyers ,legal aids ,electrician and business owners .ect ect ] not stupid people by no means .
I remove all viruses and reinstall windows when needed and help them copy pics off cameras ,basically they just know how to surf the net ,for the most part I think most are just to lazy to learn how to do it all ,you have to admit it take a lot of time to master most of it

TRUE.

Also, do you have experience or knowledge with the Samsung data migration software that included with the SSD that they sell? Will this work the same as Paragon?

Unknown never used.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Hi Theog,

Sorry but I don't understand why you gave a link to "how to download Windows 8 ISO" since my laptop comes with preinstalled Windows 8. Sorry...but what you were trying to show to me again?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Back