How Microsoft Makes Profits

A lot of intelligent points there, Folks.

Since there is little that MS can do to get people to upgrade their office OS to Windows 8, MS is going after a lucrative new market: portable computing devices. In the prehistoric days of the 1990's, computers, telephones, cameras, and radios were distinct devices. As they blend into one, MS sees (and I agree) that portable computing devices are the wave of the future.

For the first time, MS is introducing an OS that caters to mobile computing devices, rather than desktop computers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Interesting bringing up office. It'll be interesting to see what the next incarnation of office is. Will it be 100% Metro? Or Or 100% desktop with maybe a few little metro readers and event notifiers?

That'll be a big insight into where Microsoft themselves think the far future of Windows for corporate and workstation users will be...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
When microsoft bring out the next version of office I think it would either be using just the desktop or would support both because It's unlikely that they will stop making stuff for windows 7 just yet as most people will still probably be using it because they are not sure about windows 8. But it might as be that there is a version which is a web app with some of the features and then to get the full version you have to buy it. As they have the sky drive which allows you to sync your files to it and access them and also edit them with the online app. The abilities not there yet on the windows 8 metro app version but its possible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 release preview
Microsoft will not care if enterprises shun Windows 8 - Each new machine will still have a windows license - whether it is 7 or 8, Microsoft will still get the fee. That will be true for the small enterprises that will buy OEM - loaded PCs, or for the large corporations and other organizations with volume licensing. When Microsoft decides to stop issuing licenses for Windows 7, either Windows 8 will be doing OK or Windows 9 will be well on the way.

It's a Win - Win situation for Microsoft :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
MS developes most everything in the business.....Apple capitalizes on it....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

Apple has style and design, and its own hardware. Most things Applish look good, and that extends to the software and OS.

Microsoft has keyboards, mice, headsets, webcams and the Xbox and accessories. I've heard there's a Windows phone - is that made by Microsoft, never seen one. Generally they look misshapen, frumpy and dull by design - and seem to have the design ethos "How can we make this look different?" instead of "Does this look funny to you?" - and are getting more odd as time goes by - just like Microsoft software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
MS makes profits by selling Windows, and they make more profits if people buy new versions of Windows before their computers wear out. And they are going after a lucrative new market with Windows 8: mobile computing devices.

MS learned from their mistake with Windows Vista. They tried to introduce a superior new product that was so good that people would buy new computers to run it. But an economic downturn was in progress when Vista was released, computers designed for Windows XP had too many problems with Vista, and Vista flopped. Or did it?

A survey released yesterday shows that 7% of all computers use Vista, while 5% use Apple's two newest OSes. Vista really is better than XP (the world's most popular operating system) but only if you have a computer powerful enough to run it. Vista isn't a bad OS, but it was too far advanced for its time. And MS has learned from its mistake.

Windows 8 will run well on machines designed for Windows 7. But does MS have a plan to get desktop users to upgrade to an OS they don't need?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Interesting bringing up office. It'll be interesting to see what the next incarnation of office is. Will it be 100% Metro? Or Or 100% desktop with maybe a few little metro readers and event notifiers?

That'll be a big insight into where Microsoft themselves think the far future of Windows for corporate and workstation users will be...

Office 15 will still reside in the Desktop. That might be one of the reason why Microsoft decided to keep the Desktop UI in WinRT. It will however have another window control button to enter into a full screen mode. And yes, it's very metro styled and is designed for touch input.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

Apple has style and design, and its own hardware. Most things Applish look good, and that extends to the software and OS.

Microsoft has keyboards, mice, headsets, webcams and the Xbox and accessories. I've heard there's a Windows phone - is that made by Microsoft, never seen one. Generally they look misshapen, frumpy and dull by design - and seem to have the design ethos "How can we make this look different?" instead of "Does this look funny to you?" - and are getting more odd as time goes by - just like Microsoft software.

Windows Phone | Cell Phones, Mobile Downloads, Mobile Apps, and More | Windows Phone 7
This here is the Windows Phone 7, which has the highest user satisfaction rating that only the iphone has, the co-founder of apple, Steve Wozniak, owns and praises, has been critically review as a much higher satisfaction rating than android, and has even been called the phone that has "out-appled apple." Best of all, it puts people first. And why have you not seen one? Bad marketing on Microsoft's behalf and Windows Phone hate among phone carriers, except att, that are more concerned selling you a crapdroid device so they can sell you more services and get profits quicker. That there is true.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
MS makes profits by selling Windows, and they make more profits if people buy new versions of Windows before their computers wear out. And they are going after a lucrative new market with Windows 8: mobile computing devices.

MS learned from their mistake with Windows Vista. They tried to introduce a superior new product that was so good that people would buy new computers to run it. But an economic downturn was in progress when Vista was released, computers designed for Windows XP had too many problems with Vista, and Vista flopped. Or did it?

A survey released yesterday shows that 7% of all computers use Vista, while 5% use Apple's two newest OSes. Vista really is better than XP (the world's most popular operating system) but only if you have a computer powerful enough to run it. Vista isn't a bad OS, but it was too far advanced for its time. And MS has learned from its mistake.

Windows 8 will run well on machines designed for Windows 7. But does MS have a plan to get desktop users to upgrade to an OS they don't need?

vista a superior product? :what:What? vista was really not a whole lot better than xp. If it was, it was after two service packs in the long run, and you had to dig up some settings here and there to get some performance increases when it first came out. Its code was plagued with fragility where even starting up the system would cause issues with the Windows registry. Having an OS that needs new hardware to run it is NOT a superior OS in my book.

Besides, vista itself was not a superior OS ahead of its time. What was superior and VERY ahead of its time was Windows Longhorn, the concept of vista. It was so ahead of its time, literally a decade after its concept, we're still seeing the main things about Longhorn still in Windows 8, like new coding standards and an overhaul to the UI. Even in 7 with Libraries, that came from Longhorn. vista was its poo essentially, it had to be scrapped and Server 2003 had to be used to build vista because too many technologies and features were being built upon an old system which was xp.

Heck, Windows 8 has been called "The Longhorn Dream"....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Heck, Windows 8 has been called "The Longhorn Dream"....

Considering how MS is sticking Metro up our rears if we want the other goodness of Windows 8, I think it is more appropriate to call it "The Longhorn Nightmare". Sad to say.

Probably, but Longhorn had a huge interface change that neither vista or 7 could match. 8 is the only one that has a hugely revamped UI and is pretty animated. The metro part isn't that bad, you just use it, work with it, and knead it to how you use a PC.

I bet there will be backlash for this.....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
By going after the lucrative mobile computing device market, MS hopes to sell more copies of Windows 8. They can't get too many office users to upgrade to 8, but THEY CAN GET DESKTOP OWNERS TO BUY TABLET COMPUTERS. Vista failed to get people to rush out and buy new computers they didn't need, but 8 might do it.

And since people will become more accustomed to 8, and having 8 on all your devices makes it easier to transfer programs and information, people with desktops will then start buying 8 to replace 7.

And thus. Ladies and Gentlemen, MS will make big profits by selling extra copies of Windows 8.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Bu gong after the lucrative mobile computing device market, MS hopes to sell more copies of Windows 8. They can't get too many office users to upgrade to 8, but THEY CAN GET DESKTOP OWNERS TO BUY TABLET COMPUTERS. Vista failed to get people to rush out and buy new computers they didn't need, but 8 might do it.

And since people will become more accustomed to 8, and having 8 on all your devices makes it easier to transfer programs and information, people with desktops will then start buying 8 to replace 7.

And thus. Ladies and Gentlemen, MS will make big profits by selling extra copies of Windows 8.

And not only that, you become more accustom to metro design and you might end up buying a Windows Phone. And if you want better entertainment those two don't offer, you might end up buying an Xbox with its metro design interface. All three devices all work together hand in hand, and Microsoft just made money. And if you don't buy a Windows Phone, you might end up having to pay for an Xbox SmartGlass app on your phone. Clever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Bu gong after the lucrative mobile computing device market, MS hopes to sell more copies of Windows 8. They can't get too many office users to upgrade to 8, but THEY CAN GET DESKTOP OWNERS TO BUY TABLET COMPUTERS. Vista failed to get people to rush out and buy new computers they didn't need, but 8 might do it.

And not only that, you become more accustom to metro design and you might end up buying a Windows Phone. And if you want better entertainment those two don't offer, you might end up buying an Xbox with its metro design interface. All three devices all work together hand in hand, and Microsoft just made money. And if you don't buy a Windows Phone, you might end up having to pay for an Xbox SmartGlass app on your phone. Clever.

One problem with this is that MS will have pissed off a lot of desktop users and that will LOSE them those sales. Now if they were just smart enough to give desktop users the choice of UI as default they might get to have their cake and eat it too. :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
Yea. You two are brilliant.....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

Hi there

A Windows phone --now that's an idea that is going nowhere -- I say this NOT because W8 is horrible for phones --it isn't at all but the AVAILABLE PHONES themselves are horrible.

Who in their right mind would even LOOK at a Nokia phone any more (they will use windows) -- much less actually BUY one.

There are only 3 players in the phone game any more who make desirable products.

Apple with the "infamous" iPhone, Samsung and HTC. We all know that the chance of an Iphone using Windows is even slimmer than Iceland winning the 2014 World Cup in Brazil !!!

Samsung and HTC both use Android --and the latest release of android (ICS / 4.0.x) is quite passable. Future releases will only get better too.

Blackberry's are a declining market as well. I think they've totally pulled out of the consumer retail market as well so we can ignore those areas as ripe for W8.

So it leaves only Poor old Nokia -- no future there I'm afraid.

I think Ms you've missed the boat with this one.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Probably, but Longhorn had a huge interface change that neither vista or 7 could match. 8 is the only one that has a hugely revamped UI and is pretty animated. The metro part isn't that bad, you just use it, work with it, and knead it to how you use a PC.

I bet there will be backlash for this.....

I was at a presention in Redmond in 2003 where we were shown the target capabilities for Longhorn - Vista didn't come close to them. Win 7 is pretty close. MS dropped the ball for 18 months and then took two more years to produce Vista. and another 3 to produce Win7

Win 8's interface was nowhere in the Longhorn presentation - but tablet PC's running XP were all over the convention center.
Touch screens are nothing new. The easy availability and low price of them is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 64-bit and Win8 32-bit in VM (+ others in VM)
    Asus K52F
    CPU
    i3
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    it's an i3 :)
    Sound Card
    Conexant (rubbish - or it may be the speakers)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Internet Speed
    whatever I can get - G3
Back