How Microsoft can salvage Windows 8 before it's too late

This is a tough challenge, given that Windows 8 is only a few months away from release. There's not a lot that Microsoft can do in this time. However, given that the Redmond giant has already gone on the record to say that the UI that we see in the Windows 8 Release Preview is not what will be in the final release, it's safe to say that things are in a certain state of flux.

As I've said on numerous occasions, the biggest problem with Windows 8 is the way that the dumbed-down Metro UI has been unceremoniously bolted onto the mature and well-refined "Classic" user interface. While there's no doubt that the existing UI is flawed, bolting on a UI designed for touch devices is not the answer.

OK, you asked me to keep this concise, so here it is. Here's how I think Microsoft should tweak Windows 8 before it's released:

Read more at:
How Microsoft can salvage Windows 8 before it's too late | ZDNet

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
M$ used to catch a lot of flak from beta testers about the free software, especially when they started limiting the free keys to the ACTIVE techincal beta testers (those who submitted bugs and/or participated in the newsgroups). I was always a little amused when near the end of the beta the questions started flying about whether we would get free license keys: sometimes it seemed the only reason some people paticipated was for the free stuff.

With XP we got five XP Pro keys: four keys plus a free boxed copy. I don't recall what the deal was with Vista (maybe one free activation key for Ultimate) and I think with Win7 the deal was one free Ultimate download and key *or* a free boxed copy (not both). Of course the next question from some who chose the boxed copy was "when will I get it?"

The dominant question throughout many of the technical beta programs was "when can we get another build?" (Microsoft sometimes released "interim builds" between major milestones). Sometimes no sooner would one be out than people qould find it buggy and ask when we'd get a newer one. Or, someone would leak some internal build and people would want to know when (or if) they could get that one. I imagine that over time those sort of issues led Microsoft to stop doing technical betas. I do know they did all they could to keep people from leaking beta software, including embedding the user's beta ID into the downloads.

Even though there has not been (to my knowledge, anyway) a "technical beta" for Windows 8, and I'm not crazy about the end product, I've enjoyed testing it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
Windows 8 is superb IMHO.

Half the people who have tried it seem to be 'fixated' on the 'Win 8 Metro UI'. One click takes you to the desktop. Or install Classic Menu. Start menu is back and boots to desktop. So you 'see' the 'Metro UI' for a second or so... And???

Transparency is missing? SO WHAT!!!!

Everything is quicker and it is STABLE. The file system is especially impressive. Really, really quick. I have had Win 8 RTM on my computer for a week or so. Have not turned the computer off either.
It hasn't missed a beat and has not crashed or glitched at all.

Reading the so called 'IT Pros' preview reviews of Win 8, just makes me mad. These 'experts' are what is wrong with the IT industry in general. Knee jerk reactions and negative comments abound!!! Most of this is based on the RP version.
Amateurs!!!

Some people will love it and some will hate it. Windows 7 is off my computer forever. Yes it was good and pretty, but still plagued with the same issues as Vista. Namely the horribly slow filing system...

I think MS needs to praised for not just 'rehashing' the same old crap. At least they are trying to do something about performance.
Maybe the 'children's UI' bolt on is a mistake, but get to the desktop. That's where the improvements shine!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
geddeeee, only ONE problem with your statement. YOU have to take it off your computer! How else will you put on the retail version?

LoL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I understand and I agree, for this and other reasons... But personally, at least, I don't see alternative. Unless I stay on Win7 forever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 x64 ~ Win8 x64
    Custom Made
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    P8P67 Pro
    Memory
    8GB Dual DDR 3
    Graphics Card(s)
    7950 WindForce 3GB
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro ~ Speakers: Z-5500 5.1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Main: SSD Intel X-25M ~ Windows 7

Secondary: HDD WD Black Sata III ~ Windows 8
    PSU
    TPX-575M TOUGHPOWER XT
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder X5
Windows 7 is off my computer forever. Yes it was good and pretty, but still plagued with the same issues as Vista. Namely the horribly slow filing system...
I'm not aware of any real changes to the file system in Windows 8, and I certainly haven't experienced issues with Windows 7 having a horribly slow file system.

Aside from faster startups (which are lost on me as I diable hibernate to preserve space on my SSD), I haven't noticed much in terms of improved performance.

I'm in the camp that is satisfied with Windows 7 and don't see any reason that I will pay the $40 to upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I'm in the camp that is satisfied with Windows 7 and don't see any reason that I will pay the $40 to upgrade.

:ditto: I was going to pay the $40 for the upgrade (or should it be downgrade) and simply leave it in the desk. MS though are still operating in their bubble, totally committed to paid for downloaded apps and subscription cloud computing. So that $40 is going to stay in my pocket.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
Do I hear echoes of Windows XP?

Probably Mike. I ran XP on my desktop and Vista on the laptop. Once I'd cleaned out the junk from Vista it wasn't a bad OS even before SP1. Problem was that it was hammered by the media and MS underestimated the horsepower required to run the thing at XP speeds.

Even after tinkering with Vista there weren't really any overall benefits - Vista v's XP although this would of course depend on what you wanted from your OS. Each to their own as all circumstances are different. That's the problem with 8. MS may have changed from 'Metro UI' to 'Modern UI' but wording doesn't make Win7 obsolete or Win8 better simply on the say of MS.

Hence I expect Eight Forums to be busy after Oct 26th.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
Intel's fault?

Problem was that it was hammered by the media and MS underestimated the horsepower required to run the thing at XP speeds.

I read (somewhere) that the Vista problem was actually caused by MS sucking up to Intel, instead of telling them where to go (i.e. Intel wasn't Vista ready).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Umm mart4494, if that is your feeling of Windows 8, why did you go thru the trouble of downloading it for in the first place eh?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Umm mart4494, if that is your feeling of Windows 8, why did you go thru the trouble of downloading it for in the first place eh?
Hopefully it's because you don't want to simply believe the hype or what you read, but need to see it first hand and see if it's true.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

Like many Mike to play around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
See? You're missing my point. You could of seen screenshots of it, and by that if you felt it as distasteful, could of saved yourself aggravation of downloading, and installing it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Hey masters! I would like to open a "ticket" to tell MS what they should improve (imo):
-magnifier [make better keyboard cuts (zoom+/-) in order to run magnifier with both mouse and keyboard in a good and fast way] and find as much cool things as you can for the magnifier.
-notification messages graphic in bottom right icon tray ,make it nicer, now notifies are white, make it something like "light gray" or whatever, make it nice to see.
-Audio Mixer Interface: save setting and make presets. E.g: I mute microphone (red mark it), I reboot PC; and still have Mic muted.
- Make an "easier to check" Graphic mapping of USB Interface you plugin. In order to check which ICh is full and which is Empty
-add a "mind mapping" program

-Then I have a "silly" request. It would be nice to have TXT or Office file with a liquid background: E.G. You open a text file and you can put in the background of it: a video or a forum or a chat, youtube. whatever! You can write things while you have one of them in background.

m2c :]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Every
Hey masters! I would like to open a "ticket" to tell MS what they should improve (imo):
-magnifier [make better keyboard cuts (zoom+/-) in order to run magnifier with both mouse and keyboard in a good and fast way] and find as much cool things as you can for the magnifier.
-notification messages graphic in bottom right icon tray ,make it nicer, now notifies are white, make it something like "light gray" or whatever, make it nice to see.
-Audio Mixer Interface: save setting and make presets. E.g: I mute microphone (red mark it), I reboot PC; and still have Mic muted.
- Make an "easier to check" Graphic mapping of USB Interface you plugin. In order to check which ICh is full and which is Empty
-add a "mind mapping" program

-Then I have a "silly" request. It would be nice to have TXT or Office file with a liquid background: E.G. You open a text file and you can put in the background of it: a video or a forum or a chat, youtube. whatever! You can write things while you have one of them in background.

m2c :]

Sends Jamboo's requests to the Brain, Pinky will get it to him A.S.A.P.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Windows 8 is superb IMHO.

Half the people who have tried it seem to be 'fixated' on the 'Win 8 Metro UI'. One click takes you to the desktop. Or install Classic Menu. Start menu is back and boots to desktop. So you 'see' the 'Metro UI' for a second or so... And???

Transparency is missing? SO WHAT!!!!

Everything is quicker and it is STABLE. The file system is especially impressive. Really, really quick. I have had Win 8 RTM on my computer for a week or so. Have not turned the computer off either.
It hasn't missed a beat and has not crashed or glitched at all.

Reading the so called 'IT Pros' preview reviews of Win 8, just makes me mad. These 'experts' are what is wrong with the IT industry in general. Knee jerk reactions and negative comments abound!!! Most of this is based on the RP version.
Amateurs!!!

Some people will love it and some will hate it. Windows 7 is off my computer forever. Yes it was good and pretty, but still plagued with the same issues as Vista. Namely the horribly slow filing system...

I think MS needs to praised for not just 'rehashing' the same old crap. At least they are trying to do something about performance.
Maybe the 'children's UI' bolt on is a mistake, but get to the desktop. That's where the improvements shine!!!!!

Or could say buy proper hardware and it be fast, win7 flies on my SSD.

Also its no good been faster if it takes longer to use the GUI because its inefficient for use with a mouse.

Check this. This guy explained some of it very well.

Why Windows 8 Scares Me - YouTube

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Update 1 64bit Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    i5 4670k @ 4.3ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Z87 Plus
    Memory
    16 Gig 1600 Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX2.0
    Sound Card
    Asus Xonar D2X
    Monitor(s) Displays
    BenQ GW2765HT
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 512 gig, boot. Have other HDD's for storage.
    PSU
    Coolermaster SilentPro M 600W
    Case
    Fractal R4 Design
    Cooling
    2 front intake fans, 1 exhaust fan at back all 140mm
    Internet Speed
    80/20
    Browser
    Multiple
    Antivirus
    ESET v8 AV