How many of you also have an Apple computer?

Ever heard anybody selling kidney to buy a Windows machine or an Android phone?

Chinese boy sells kidney to buy iPad and iPhone | Mail Online

Ever seen a TV show that displays any Windows OEM logo instead of the fruit? I've never seen one literally. Every celebrity seem to be using iProducts with the big iLogo.

All these things just make me hate Apple even more, especially when you know that when it comes to real work, Apple products can't do a thing. You can't even customize anything that apple thinks you shouldn't. Thanks to Microsoft, now they can do some real productivity with Office for iPad.

The best you can do in iPhones is jailbreak. What you get after jailbreak? What Android users get even WITHOUT rooting. After you root your Android, you can customize it to your hearts content, even more so if you are into android programming.

Even without any knowledge of Android programming you can do many, many things. With iPhone you can't even change a theme. Ever heard of the android app 'Themer'? It doesn't even require rooting. There are hundreds of beautiful themes to choose from.

Yet, somehow iPhone just works! Get a Nexus 5, cheaper and better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
We are NOT fanboys, we don't sing praises and live in a mythical land where we believe that "everything is awesome". Most of us are satisfied completely with our purchases. Our satisfaction often doesn't come easy. To me, that says quite a bit. None of my friends will say their MacBooks are the best computers at everything, but they also won't say, "these things suck, I hate Apple".

Hello pparks,
I hope you didn't think that by "fanboys" I was referring to you. Actually, I have read your posts since 2012 and I do know that you are IT professional. By no means I think that you would be praise-singing "fanboy". So, I hope you didn't misunderstand me.

What I was trying to say was that a huge majority of Apple users are praise-singing fanboys (something that is unique with Apple).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
Ever seen a TV show that displays any Windows OEM logo instead of the fruit? I've never seen one literally. Every celebrity seem to be using iProducts with the big iLogo.

Quite a many times lately, in fact. Windows 8 tablet appears in almost every episode of Elementary, has appeared on lot of shows lately.

Suburgatory & Microsoft Surface:

2014-04-03_16h24_30.png

Arrow & Windows All-in-One computers:

2014-04-03_16h24_58.png

And so on...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.
Hi Kari, that's actually great thing to know. I would love to see a lot more of them.

In Indian media and television however, I have never (yes, not for a single time) seen that. I haven't seen a great deal of Hollywood or American TV shows but from whatever I've seen, never seen anything like that.

However, I'm sure that (whether it is India or not) the number of non-Apple appearances in TV/Cinema is negligible compared to Apple.

PS: I've seen Windows everywhere in National Geographic and Discovery Channel documentaries though, where real work is done.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
Hello pparks,
I hope you didn't think that by "fanboys" I was referring to you. Actually, I have read your posts since 2012 and I do know that you are IT professional. By no means I think that you would be praise-singing "fanboy". So, I hope you didn't misunderstand me.

No I realize you aren't calling me a fanboy. And I hope on the flip side that you see that I am not trying to personally attack you either when I talk about opinions without experience. It's a common problem that exists in the world.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
No I realize you aren't calling me a fanboy. And I hope on the flip side that you see that I am not trying to personally attack you either when I talk about opinions without experience. It's a common problem that exists in the world.

Yes pparks, I certainly don't think that you are personally attacking you. I would also like to make it clear that its not like I have opinions without experience about everything. Apple is a unique case. There is something special about Apple that makes me hate it (more than I should). As I said before, born to hate Apple.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
All these things just make me hate Apple even more, especially when you know that when it comes to real work, Apple products can't do a thing.
Have to disagree here. Lots of people do extensive photoshop and video editing on Mac's. Lot's of people do audio processing with software packages like ProTools on a Mac. We have lsoftware developers who work at my company who are managing to use their MacBook's to do lots of software development in an otherwise Microsoft desktop shop. And these are the guys who are the software architects, top of the food chain guys too.

You can't even customize anything that apple thinks you shouldn't.
And that can lead to consistency for things like documentation and stability of the system as a benefit if you look at it from a different angle.

The best you can do in iPhones is jailbreak. What you get after jailbreak? What Android users get even WITHOUT rooting. After you root your Android, you can customize it to your hearts content, even more so if you are into android programming.
But many users (not the power users), don't care to jailbreak their device. As stated above, lack of customization leads to consistency across the Apple phones and a much better chance that everything in the App store will work. People love their iPhones because of the App Store. The apps just work, their phones are all the same. Look at Android, so many makes, models, etc. Some apps work on the HTC's, but not on the Samsungs, yadda, yadda, yadda. With Android you get lots of customization and flexibility, but along with that comes inconsistency and potentially incompatibilities. For some, the choice is worth those downfalls. For others, they just want what everybody else has that seems to work well for them.

Better is subjective. My wife works in a special needs school. All of the curriculum and best apps for their needs are in the Apple store. For her, the iPad was without question the best choice.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Apple is a unique case. There is something special about Apple that makes me hate it (more than I should). As I said before, born to hate Apple.
Well, I'd highly suggest you always steer clear of Apple then. The worst thing that could happen to you is that you might actually find an Apple product that you can actually find positives about and things to like :)

I've steadfast said, they are not the best products for everybody. But their popularity proves that they are a great device for some. And for many, who own their products, they don't want to use anything else. I think that says a lot.

Whenever a coworker claims, "Well you know that Apple is best, but what else should I consider"...I stop them dead in their tracks and ensure that they are educated in the pros and cons of the Apple device. It's not always best. But you won't hear me say, Apple sucks. That's simply shortsighted.

And I have similar conversations too about a couple of other well known companies
  • BOSE
  • Beats by Dre headphones

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Have to disagree here. Lots of people do extensive photoshop and video editing on Mac's. Lot's of people do audio processing with software packages like ProTools on a Mac. We have lsoftware developers who work at my company who are managing to use their MacBook's to do lots of software development in an otherwise Microsoft desktop shop. And these are the guys who are the software architects, top of the food chain guys too.

One simple thing to think about:

Have you heard any Windows user running Mac in a virtual environment out of necessity?
Have you heard Mac users running Windows in BootCamp?

The question is why pay MORE and get LESS? I am willing to pay more if I get MORE. More importantly, Apple's main focus isn't Mac. Their center of attention is iPhone and iPad. As a result, important fixes are far more delayed in Mac compared to Windows.

Look at Android, so many makes, models, etc. Some apps work on the HTC's, but not on the Samsungs, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Not really. At least, I haven't heard so far.

With Android you get lots of customization and flexibility, but along with that comes inconsistency and potentially incompatibilities.
No haven't come across this type of issues (at least with phones that you can compare with iPhone).

One thing many forget while comparing Apple is the price factor. You can't compare iPhone with a cheap Android phone that costs one-fifth of an iPhone. Compare top of the line Android phones with iPhone such as Nexus 5.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
Better is subjective. My wife works in a special needs school. All of the curriculum and best apps for their needs are in the Apple store. For her, the iPad was without question the best choice.

By better what I meant was in terms of hardware and software on the paper. Your wife's is a special circumstance. Not everybody has that kind of limitations. "Better" just for personal use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
I've steadfast said, they are not the best products for everybody. But their popularity proves that they are a great device for some. And for many, who own their products, they don't want to use anything else. I think that says a lot.

Do you see a high percentage of OS X users in real life (friends, family etc), from what I see of the US (mainly TV so not sure how accurate) it seems that they are very popular

Over here seeing someone with OS X is a rarity, but IOS is totally different, many people here have some form of iOS device

When I used my MacBook as my main machine, I was the odd one out as everyone else used Windows

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon
    Browser
    IE
Have you heard Mac users running Windows in BootCamp?
Yes, there are many people from a Windows background that either have hardware peripherals or software that only runs in Windows that they need support for. Games especially. Developers sometimes need to be able to run IE and other Windows software to test and ensure that the PC users can use what they are developing. This doesn't mean that people cannot get real work done on a Mac thought.

The question is why pay MORE and get LESS? I am willing to pay more if I get MORE.
Who necessarily says you get less. Like I stated above, my MacBook Pro was $1400, but it's also a Core i5, 8GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD that is PCI-Express based, with a battery that goes 8-10 hours, in a 3.5lb package, with a 13" screen that can run at 2560x1440 and has a nifty magnetic power cord which prevents it from falling to the floor when I trip over the cable. My Dell E6430u Ultrabook was actually about $200 more, with a slower SSD, and a 1600x900 screen, but it has a fingerprint scanner, and a physical RJ45 gigabit ethernet port.

As an IT guy, who supports people with Android, Apple and Blackberry phones...I can assure you that there are apps in the Google Play store that are not compatible with some makes and models of Android. Usually the phone filters those out and you cannot even seen them from the Google Play storefront. But other times, they are listed but either don't work or crash.

One thing many forget while comparing Apple is the price factor. You can't compare iPhone with a cheap Android phone that costs one-fifth of an iPhone. Compare top of the line Android phones with iPhone such as Nexus 5.
Always have to factor that in, but you are right, many don't. I've heard people say, why would I spend $1000 on a MacBook air when I can get this acer laptop for $399. Welll, there is a significant hardware difference there.

Same is true of phones. But for some, app support is more important than the # of cores, or the amount of system memory, or the # of megapixels that the camera supports. This doesn't necessarily mean people made the wrong choice or went with the wrong phone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Who necessarily says you get less. Like I stated above, my MacBook Pro was $1400, but it's also a Core i5, 8GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD that is PCI-Express based, with a battery that goes 8-10 hours, in a 3.5lb package, with a 13" screen that can run at 2560x1440 and has a nifty magnetic power cord which prevents it from falling to the floor when I trip over the cable. My Dell E6430u Ultrabook was actually about $200 more, with a slower SSD, and a 1600x900 screen, but it has a fingerprint scanner, and a physical RJ45 gigabit ethernet port.
For the exact same price, Macs are going to have less powerful specs. Things in US can be slightly different than in India though. But from whatever I have heard, any Windows machine that costs the same as a particular Mac model, it will have better specs.

As an IT guy, who supports people with Android, Apple and Blackberry phones...I can assure you that there are apps in the Google Play store that are not compatible with some makes and models of Android. Usually the phone filters those out and you cannot even seen them from the Google Play storefront. But other times, they are listed but either don't work or crash.
I trust you on this pparks. I was probably wrong. But major apps and a very high percentage of all apps are available on all Android phones (running the latest Android OS and costing anything comparable to an iPhone).

I don't think I ever will use an Apple machine for any real work. Might try one if I get a chance. I'm trying out Linux and nothing beats Linux on customization. Linux is the thing for me. I love this open-source thing. And Apple is the farthest you can get away from open-source.

Anyway, lets put a stop on this discussion. It was nice discussing with you pparks.

Regards,
Arpan :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
For the exact same price, Macs are going to have less powerful specs. Things in US can be slightly different than in India though. But from whatever I have heard, any Windows machine that costs the same as a particular Mac model, it will have better specs.
Maybe or maybe not. Depends upon how you value certain things.

Lenovo: X1 Carbon, with Core i5-4300U, 14" 2560X1440 high resolution IPS touch panel, 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD4400 graphics, 2 USB 3.0, 1 mini display port, 1 HDMI output, with 8.6 hour battery. $1789.00

MacBook Pro: with Core i5-4300U, Retina display capable of 2560x1440, 8GB of RAM, 256GB PCI-Xpress SSD, Intel Iris Graphics, 2 USB 3.0, 2 Thurderbolt 2 ports with double as mini display ports, 1 HDMI output, SDXC card reader, 9 hour battery. $1499.00

Dell XPS 13: with Core i4-5200U, 13" 1920x1080 touch screen, 8GB of RAM, 128GB SSD, Intel HD4400 Graphics, 2 USB 3.0 ports, 1 mini display port, $1299.00.

So, as you can see, the Mac Book Pro fits right between the Dell and the Lenovo. All are around 3.0-3.5lb ultrabooks. Both the Dell and the Lenovo offer Touchscreens. The CPU and memory is the same on all 3, the hard drive is smaller on the Dell, the Lenovo and the Dell don't have a memory card reader. The Dell doesn't offer HDMI.

Dollar for dollar, the MacBook Pro is priced well. At $1499, try to find a Windows based PC, with a Core i5, at less than 3.5lbs, that has 8GB of RAM, 256GB PCI-X SSD, that can handle 8+ hours, runs Intel Iris Graphics, has ability to run 2560x1440 resolution, has USB 3.0, HDMI, mini display ports, thunderbolt and a card reader. They won't be as cheap as you might think. You won't find anything in the $600-$1200 price range meeting these specs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Ever heard anybody selling kidney to buy a Windows machine or an Android phone?

Chinese boy sells kidney to buy iPad and iPhone | Mail Online

All these things just make me hate Apple even more, especially when you know that when it comes to real work, Apple products can't do a thing. You can't even customize anything that apple thinks you shouldn't. Thanks to Microsoft, now they can do some real productivity with Office for iPad.

Even without any knowledge of Android programming you can do many, many things. With iPhone you can't even change a theme. Ever heard of the android app 'Themer'? It doesn't even require rooting. There are hundreds of beautiful themes to choose from.

Hm, I'm going to have to take HIGH exception to this, heh. I actually think of all OSes and platforms as being important in some way, and I've even tolerated DroidOS and it's fanatics so a certain degree.

But Even before I Jailbroke my first 1st-Generation iPhone in 2009, I had all kinds of things I can do. FileExplorer, allowed you to connect right to any Mac or PC on your network, once you set up the connection, BINGO it's always there. From the moment I had even the original iPhone it became the center of my Home Network, from which I connect to from all points in my house and even outside of my house in some cases. Teamviewer and VNC Viewer. VLC Remote. VLC, which had an iOS version LONG before there was a Droid "Nightly" and you cannot even get the Betas for VLC/Droid from the US Store. On a junky crappy, battery-only-lasts-3-hours Droid? You gotta ROOT it to get ESFileExplorer to connect as easily.

Droid is the crappiest KNOCKoff FakeOS I've ever had the privilege of Giving AWAY cos the device sucked SO much hahaha. And I remember Steve Job's words as he considered a G-Phone for the first time: "It looks like an iPhone, it works like an iPhone, it IS an iPhone, therefore I must sue the crap out of these folks for Copyright infringement". And I don't consider myself as appalled over Droid Devices as Mr. Jobs ever was. Plus, I got an iPad Mini for Xmas from my Brother, it actually stays charged for a day instead of requiring THREE charges per day like my RockChip M7088 did. So I GAVE the Rockchip Tablet to one of my friends, and she gets to use it for 3 hours before having to do a full recharge now. Also, "Capacitive Touch" what the crap is THAT? It SUCKS. More like Crapacitive Touch and Touch and Touch again until it figures out that you are pressing the damn screen!

Even Galaxies, I went out one night, and while all of my friends with Galaxies with all of the whistle-bells had DEAD devices cos their power drained out, I still had over 50% power left, so *I* had to take all the pix.

Everything that's on a Droid was on an Apple Device first and better, even the rooted stuff. I tried that "Theming" app you mentioned, it's CACK. I just stuck with the default theme.

The difference between iOS and Droid is mainly Apple makes you work like hell to Jailbreak and Keep it that way. Can you Root EVERY Droidevice you've ever had your hands on? NOPE. Only the most expensive ones get the attention of the guys over on that site who make the Rooting Tools.

That's because they made the tools OPEN SOURCE, which was the biggest mistake ever, you do NOT go publishing the exact exploits you had to rooting or jailbreaking a device, so the whole DroidOS Fanboy scene got screwed up by Open Source, and now, it's harder to actually FIND a working rooting tool for a lot of devices.

Anyway that is my rant, it ain't against you, Arpan, I hate, loathe and despise this "Fanboy Attitude" be it from Cult of Droid or from r/Jailbreak, which hardly ever happens BTW. Apple users are more prone to also use Droid devices and connect them all together, than hard core Droid slavering fanatics are to use Apple Products, they get locked into this thing, defending their devices and Jellobean and Kit Kat bars. That's why I don't hang out at the Droid spots, too antagonistic. Every so often a DroidOid peeps into r/Jailbreak and know what happens? We start talking to them, eventually they realize we really DON'T hate Droids, we hate the Cult.

But regarding Apple iOS - Sure they force you to get the latest iOS, and it is harder than hell for the 4 guys in the world who know how to make a Jailbreak to keep their Exploits hidden from Apple, but it is one secure iOS. And we've pwned every iteration of it so far save for 7.1, which will get pwned later once we JB iOS 8.

There are only two months out of the year that you can safely experiment with your Jailbreak, two months to lock it down and get rid of any problems, cos the rest of the year, we have to keep it Locked Down. But if you look at it another way, Apple failed to patch 6 iterations of iOS 7.

I'd rather it be this way, then having the code stumbling all over the net, in a free for all like it is for Droid tools. - Because I ran into some interesting Viruses that were disguised as "Rooting Tools" - With the last rendition of the Jailbreak Tools eVasi0n, you knew there was ONLY one tool and only one place to get it from. Also, EVERY apple device from the last 2 years is able to be updated to the latest iOS, it's choice - When you buy a Droid, you can only update OTA from whoever made the device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Dollar for dollar, the MacBook Pro is priced well. At $1499, try to find a Windows based PC, with a Core i5, at less than 3.5lbs, that has 8GB of RAM, 256GB PCI-X SSD, that can handle 8+ hours, runs Intel Iris Graphics, has ability to run 2560x1440 resolution, has USB 3.0, HDMI, mini display ports, thunderbolt and a card reader. They won't be as cheap as you might think. You won't find anything in the $600-$1200 price range meeting these specs.

As I told Mr Coke Robot several times, the best Windows machines I EVER had the privilege of working on, were Bootcamped Macbook Pros. The guys who own em are Mechanics, Architects, etc, I installed all kinds of Professional Software for em, both Mac and PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Apple Mac Pro 5.1 (2012)
    CPU
    DODECA @ 2.66 GHz
    Motherboard
    MP 5.1
    Memory
    24 GB @ 1333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX-670-4GB-FTW-PC & ATI XT 2600 HD Mac
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO's 500GB @ Apricorn Velocity DUO x2 PCIe
    Case
    The most beautiful IMHO
    Keyboard
    Wired
    Mouse
    Mighty Mouse
    Antivirus
    ESET Internet Security Pro
Do you see a high percentage of OS X users in real life (friends, family etc), from what I see of the US (mainly TV so not sure how accurate) it seems that they are very popular
It is not rare to see someone with a Mac, but they are not popular either. From the people I know, maybe 1 in 15 uses OS X.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell E6410
    CPU
    Core i7 M560
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia NVS3100
    Hard Drives
    120 GB SSD
Two months ago we bought our first MAC computer. A late 2013 Macbook Pro. The only other Apple product we had was my wife's iPhone.
I am starting to get the hang of it and it seems easier to learn than Linux (tried Ubuntu and Mint but couldn't get into it).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell E6410
    CPU
    Core i7 M560
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia NVS3100
    Hard Drives
    120 GB SSD
I'll tell you, MACOS and MACOSX are nice clean OS's - The only drawback is lack of available Programs, but even with that limitation, it's relatively easy to get around. There are hundreds of thousands or more available programs for PC and most of them work from Windows 2000 through Windows 8.1.

Basically the rule is "Anything that could run on Windows XP can run on 8 and possibly 8.1 as well"- There are a few exceptions. I do not count Windows 8/8.1 "Apps" as valid Programs. At this point, they are a curiosity, a novelty: some of them useful, but mostly not. As I said before, Angry Birds for Windows 8 is GREAT- I think it is the best "App" there is, it is made well, it runs well, and it looks really good.

In contrast to the lack of Programs available to the MAC Desktop user, the "i-Rony" is this: It's that iPhones have the largest amount of useful "Apps" of the "App" class, although I don't put iOS or Android Apps in the same class as Windows 8 Apps. The most popular iOS apps have been ported to Droid as well. But they were all made for iPhone first, so when Droid reared it's head, there was an instant market for these apps.

[rant and reflection]
When I got my first iPhone 1st Gen it was a curiosity, but it had this little thing you could do that was potentially very powerful: You could connect it to your LAN with a decent built in WiFi adapter.

I had a Palm Treo 650 and then 700 for almost 6 years, and I thought it was a great Mobile Phone, it had a little Web Browser, Albeit slow and hard to use, but I could post on BBS's and even pay bills and such. I could even take some decent pics and Videos, the sound was not too good, and I had a great Music player app and I could plug it into my Car Stereo and it sounded great. I even had a Money program I used to keep track of my bills.

But that 1st Gen iPhone, it was MORE than just a Mobile Phone, it was a whole computer in my pocket. It had a better camera, it could take GREAT videos, and it had a better browser in it and I could use Mobile Safari as well as I could use IE in my PC. And I didn't even have it Jailbroken, I discovered a cheap 3 dollar app called 'SkyJos File Explorer" which little did I know later would become the very HEART of my Home LAN: Even when I first got it, I could add my networked PC's to it and have it remember the connections, and I could pull up documents and even Movies and MP3 files out of my PCs and view/play them in FileExplorer's native viewer. And shortly after that, I discovered another app called "VLC Remote" and it took me 3 seconds to hook it up to any running instance of VLC running on my PCs. Then, I discovered "VLC Streamer" and "Plex" and I was suddenly able to stream my Movies right into the device, and using Plex I could do it through the Carrier- It was Low Res back then, but it worked!

And although it had only 8gb of storage and there was no way to connect it to an SD card, I really didn't need it, cos I had the WiFi adapter and I could connect to my LAN. But then my cat puked on it, and killed it, while I was waiting for a replacement, my brothers' wife gave me hers, but I could not activate it- So I took it to a Phone Store and they Jailbroke it for me for 30 bucks.

This was way back when Jailbreaking was a complex 74-step procedure, so I didn't mind burning 30 bucks for a JB. So for my birthday, my brother bought me a whopping 32 GB iPhone 4 - And then a month later, there was this website called "Jailbreakme.com" which was a huge innovation - You no longer had to do those 74 steps, it used the Mobile Safari in the device, through a PDF exploit, and it was jailbroken in seconds.

When I had that 4 I realized exactly how powerful the device was especially after it was Jailbroken, it wasn't just Theming, I could Tether my Laptop to it through the WiFi using a Tethering app, and although it was a slow 3G connection, it was still good enough to do any emergency browsing while I was away from home and needed to use my Laptop.

I left that 4 with iOS 5.1.1 on it, Jailbroken with Absinthe and I sold it for 400 bucks, and I bought a 4S, with that Dual Core A5 it is faster than some PCs of mine from the 90's-2000's running Windows 98 or 2000/XP. The only drawback is that it only has 512mb of Ram, the new ones all have at least a GB.

It worked best when I had iOS 6 on it- By the time I got the 4S, Apple did this crappy thing to it's users: They started SIGNING the Operating Systems, so you could no longer install any iOS that was not the current one. I had never heard of such a thing being done, but it was clear evidence of the war between the Jailbreakers and Apple. There used to be ways we could save our SHSH blobs, stitch an old version of IOS and put it back in, but then apple added a new level of security to block that even.

I've had iOS 7 in my devices since Christmas, when the eVasi0n7 Jailbreak was released, but now iOS 7.1 blocks that, so I am stuck at 7.0.6 for another year. I refuse to be forced to update if i don't want to.

Despite all of this, I like the iPhone iOS much more than Droid Jellybean or KitKat (IS that the right name of 4.4?) - I just think overall, even without a Jailbreak, iOS looks better and runs better. Even without a Jailbreak, I can still do a lot of stuff I wasn't able to do 5 years ago. I keep my Repair Tools in my iPhone, I connect it up to any LANs where I am working, and I drag out ISO images I have in there, through a Jailbreak app called iFile which has a WebDav server in it. But once again, even if I did not have a JB device, I can still use the Webdav built into File Explorer, all you need is the Phone's IP address on the Lan and you can log into it using the port, and download what you need.

So when it comes down to it, Mac, PC, Droid, iPhone, they are all valid parts of any toolkit for Business, I can even Print using Non-Air Printers if I have certain apps that support certain Printer Brands. These Mobile Devices, they are no longer only phones, they are Offices.

All except for Windows RT devices, It's been a year since Windows 8 has been out, really fully out in public, and I still don't see that much improvement with the quality of the apps available, there HAS been an increase in quantity - From Chinese developers selling VLC clones for 10 bucks, that you can't try out.

And I have said this all along, I don't HATE the Metro aspect of Windows 8 0 In some ways it is really cool and interesting. It's just that I don't think Microsoft is picky enough about what they let into their store. Apple is really finicky about any app, because it cannot break out of the "Sandbox" - If any app shows that it accesses, the rootFS of iOS and gives that access to the user, they refuse to approve it.

So I just don't think Microsoft has set up it's own standards for store apps, not even after a year. I wish it was not this way, but it is. And because of this, there is a Superfluity of really bad Metro Apps that you can NOT "try". Because of this superfluity of mundane apps, it is very difficult to find anything real useful, so I depend on Word of Mouth.

Now with Apple, if you do not like an app, you can ask for your money back, I've done this. Can you do it with the MS Store? I've always thought that Windows 8 is great and has great possibilities, but there has to be a better store environment.
[/rant and reflection]

:) :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Back