Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux

linux-vs-windows.jpg
Many of us use Linux every day. Thankfully, most of the people using Linux don't know they're using Linux.

My octogenarian parents, for example, have been using their TiVo DVRs for years, but have no idea that there's a variant of Linux running deep inside. The guy who installed my kitchen cabinets, who loves his Android phone but insists Facebook is hard to use has no idea he's using a variant of Linux....

Reason #1: As soon as you mention one distro, all the fanboys go insane claiming you've made the wrong choice.
You did it, didn't you? Just as soon as I mentioned Mint, a whole bunch of you started to foam at the mouth. Mint's not the distro-du-jour anymore. There's Bodhi. There's Xubuntu. There's the truly unfortunately named DouDou.
Read more at: Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II 3-core 2.3 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4A785-M (AM2+)
    Memory
    4 x 1GB Crucial DDR2 1066 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard ATI HD 4200 256MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell ST2421L
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    SSD Mushkin Chronos 120 GB (24 GB system partition)
    PSU
    Rocketfish 500W
    Cooling
    redundant
    Keyboard
    wireless
    Mouse
    different wireless
    Internet Speed
    12 MB/s max, 1 to 2 MB/s typical
    Browser
    Opera 20.0.1387.91 stable
    Antivirus
    Yes, I've got one.
What does Heartbleed have to do with type of OS ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

Hi there
What does it even haver to do with the Thread itself !!!.

The main reasons I use Windows are
1) I need Windows for Work
2) It came already installed on my computer -- although I always replace the supplied bloatware with a proper OS - you know the hardware drivers etc have already been installed and work properly.
3) Ms Office and Photoshop are the applications I really would miss if I didn't use Windows - there are alternatives --for example Libre Office is Ok-ish but as an EXCEL and Power point power user the Linux app doesn't even come close.

(Wine BTW doesn't run some of the things I would like -- and it's NOT a trivial matter to get it working either).

Linux though these days has much better hardware detection - and also plug 'n play so USB devices etc are recognized when they are plugged in -- you don't have to go through laborious mount commands etc. Those who haven't used Linux for some while might be quite amazed at the changes -- some distributions are actually "More Windows than Windows" !!.

Linux is far more configurable than Windows -- don't like a GUI, pick another one-- GNOME / KDE/LXDE to name but a few.
Want a menu -- have one, don't want one - don't.

Linux (almost ANY distribution) always has had FAR FAR better networking which usually works straight out of the box -- even after all these years I still get the odd IDENTICAL computer to others in a network IN WINDOWS that just won't connect properly for some obscure reason.

Linux's weaknesses are in the sheer numbere of distros -- but if you stick to one of the 5 most used ones then you are safe -- DEBIAN, UBUNTU, MINT, OPENSUSE, FEDORA.

Commercial servers are often based on STABLE Enterprise Linuxes such as RED HAT, SUSE (SLES) which are extremely stable and robust.

Multi-media is also a breeze with Linux - all freeware too. Security is far superior as well.

These days before condemning Linux just download a live CD and try it -- they all boot from a USB if you want-- no change will be done to your Windows system. You might be quite surprised. Most of these "Live CD's" will run very fast on modern hardware too.

Sometimes when reading the Forums I get the impression that some comments have just been copied verbatim from another website without the poster actually TRYING the application concerned or experiencing the problem written about.

One thing's for sure about Linux though -- It's NOT going to suck me into any sort of "Subscription" service for software which I believe Ms is quietly preparing us for -- it's already got Office365 and it's NOT as cheap as you might think -- especially in some countries where you have to add the VAT on to the price.

Actually it wouldn't surprise me if these very Forums are being hosted on some type of Linux server too -- I don't know what the mods are using but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was actually Linux. !!!!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I use Linux Mint 16 live distro but only for some troubleshooting mainly with HW, because of closer relation to hardware. Also good for saving infected files or just plainly screwed up ones. The reason I can't use it full time is that applications I need and use most of the time and there's no Linux equivalent.
Runing Linux takes different set of mind than MS stuff for somebody not proficient with it's file system but in a lot of cases also the way to install and run applications and there's a lot of differences between distros (looks not withstanding). I'd say a lot of people are intimidated just by installation and "different" looks and menus.
Believe me, I'd be using Linux as primary system if I had everything I need for it but this way I just can't see myself to get any deeper into 2 separate systems just because of some stuff I don't like in Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Hi there.

Not trying to Hijack the thread or go that stupid route Linux Vs Windows -- pointless in the extreme and a total waste of time -- but I would say that excluding say corporate enterprise stuff that usually needs a Windows front end / client (i.e your desktop) to access them there are very few applications (excluding games of course) that have no Linux equivalents to those you can get in Windows.

I now run Windows always as Virtual machines these days -- W7 for corporate stuff, XP for some old legacy hardware, W8.1 for testing / current ms office, photoshop and a few other things) and have either Opensuse 13.1, Debian Wheezy or Linux Mint as the host OS.

I like Linux Mint 16 but there's some politicking going over the release frequencies and my experience with Mint is that it's almost a NO NO to upgrade -- you need to re-install the new release and that's where Windows has the advantage - it's fairly easy to UPGRADE the system -- after a new Linux install you usually have a bit of work to do in getting the system just right for you -- worth it in the end but a lot of people won't have the time or inclination to do it.

Opensuse and Debian have fairly long release periods and in particular opensuse benefits from SUSE's commercial server offerings (SLES etc) so is guaranteed a long term future without drastic changes. I dropped Ubuntu after that catastrophic Unity thing (don't confuse with running a VM in "Unity mode") and seeing the difficulties the open source community is having with CANONICAL -- don't want to go there.

So I'll eventually probably keep Opensuse - but will see what happens when Linux Mint 17 appears.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Jimbo, you are a real "multitasker" as far as I can see. Most people see multitasking as chewing gum and walking, so using multiple OSs is way out. Just a bit of change like going from 8.1 to latest update, threw a lot of people out of whack.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Hi there

It's not that --but :

a) I have to have Win 7 to run some really old Dinosaur applications -- Office / Enterprise Software changes quite rarely -- it is usually a massive increase in cost and several years work changing I.T systems that are used in Supply chains, CRM, and almost every other large business process you can think of.

b) I like to have some different Language versions of Office - I work in a few countries so it's nice to be able to switch at will - hence the need for some sort of portable system which can be used all over the place

c) don't really like the direction Ms appears to be leading us in so getting used to sensible alternatives IMO is a good idea -- and even if eventually I don't use the alternatives it's a good learning experience --never too old to learn.

Win 8.1 does have some advantages -- however really would like to see what happens with W9.

In a way you could say I'm "hedging my bets".

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there

It's not that --but :

a) I have to have Win 7 to run some really old Dinosaur applications -- Office / Enterprise Software changes quite rarely -- it is usually a massive increase in cost and several years work changing I.T systems that are used in Supply chains, CRM, and almost every other large business process you can think of.

b) I like to have some different Language versions of Office - I work in a few countries so it's nice to be able to switch at will - hence the need for some sort of portable system which can be used all over the place

c) don't really like the direction Ms appears to be leading us in so getting used to sensible alternatives IMO is a good idea -- and even if eventually I don't use the alternatives it's a good learning experience --never too old to learn.

Win 8.1 does have some advantages -- however really would like to see what happens with W9.

In a way you could say I'm "hedging my bets".

Cheers
jimbo

Me too, but.... "Future is not for men to see" but M$ will like to make it without knowing what's around the corner and that's known to bite ones tail that attempts to push too hard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Sorry Jim, it's not true.

There are very few equivalents to Windows software that could be considered usable.
Most are slapped together, here something you can use, but we will drop support before you know it, type stuff.
Yes there is software that does get some support, but the level of quality, or cross app compatibility is a joke.

I wish it weren't true, but it is

When you don't have the market share and the revenue to produce, you can't create any thing to compete.

That's the Linux communities fault though, not a consumer one.

Fragmentation is the deathnell of any organization, group or country.

Case in point, where is the Ubuntu Phone?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Am regularly having tests of some Linux incarnation, am ok with the OS itself, but one good reason for not staying with it, w8 (or w7) runs my favorite programs, Linux does not (yet).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1, W7
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP \ Toshiba \ Lenovo \ Dell E7440
    Browser
    FF
Hi there

Try Libre Office -- for most people almost in every way a good alternative to Ms Office and it's FREE and well supported.
Another one -- the GIMP --also excellent for a lot of people.

For Multi-media the Linux version of VLC is perfectly useable -- runs nearly every codec you can think of.

There's Kaffeine as well -- that also will pick up terrestrial Digital TV too if you have a TV tuner card --I don't though - Internet is fast enough.

Browsers - Konqueror / Firefox / Opera / Chrome -- all 100% working and plenty of choice -- also play flash OK so video is just fine.

Ebook Calibre plus the De- DRM remover for e-books works just perfectly in Linux as does things like DVD / video ripping to Mp4 / MKV (Handbrake). Connectivity to mobile phones is also excellent including the latest Samsung S5.

Plug 'n play works fine -- USB devices are instantly readable (and writeable) without needing special mount / fstab configuration entries -- simply use Dolphin file manager (equivalent to windows explorer).

Networking is better than Windows - newer distros don't even need manual creation of SAMBA network sharing files -- SMB / CIFS protocols built in straight out of the box.

OK no stupid things like Silverlite so Netflix / Sky go etc needs to be run from Windows --that's an Ms problem not Linux.

Games also are an issue --I'm not a gamer so that aspect doesn't bother me.

I#'m not saying switch -- but all i'm trying to point out is that there are a HUGE number of perfectly stable applications that run in Linux and aren't going away any time soon. You might have to hunt around a bit - but it's no worse than looking in the Google play store for an Android app and deciding which one to use -- and Google apps camn be created by every man and his dog so no long term commitment there.

Like all things there's no "One size fits all". - Just be aware that useable alternatives DO exist in a huge number of cases.

Cheers

jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Both have their strengths & weaknesses, glad I have one of each :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Envy 700z
    CPU
    AMD 4.1 GHz quad-core
    Motherboard
    MSI
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Integrated Radeon HD 8670D
    Sound Card
    Integrated Sound, Envy Audio; Beats Audio
    Hard Drives
    1TB 7200 RPM SATA
    PSU
    460 watt
    Keyboard
    wired USB
    Mouse
    wired USB
    Browser
    IE11 / Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender aka MSE
Believe me when I say, I would love to see Linux more prevalent the society as a whole.
I would love to see it on more devices, competition is what advances society, without it, we would still have Windows 95 most likely

I wish things like LiberOffice and Open Office were more reliable with MS Office.
But they aren't, that is a fact, not opinion. It's been proven time and again, documents get corrupted when edited or simply opened between them. This isn't a good alternative for the work place. And the fact they just are not as powerful as Office.
They both still have a very long way to go.
Honestly, I wish that wasn't true.

I would love to see Linux on more devices, like tablets, etc. Take a big huge bite out of Android to put Google in their place.
You would see a major change there.

But let be honest, the Linux community are far too fragmented, to elitist and too snarky about people trying to transfer over or just learn about Linux coming from Windows. i have far too many times been a victim of LiNazi attacks simply for mention Microsoft.
Their heads explode.

I still delve into and take a look at Linux from time to time and try to learn a bit, but I don't go to the Linux sites and ask questions any longer. Not worth my time, when I ask a question about "hey I do X in Windows, how can I do it in Linux?" and the rampage starts.

Change the community and maybe Linux will get somewhere.

Change the Dev Support problems with the smaller third party software vendors to support their software better (which they can't cause it is all based off advertisement and donations). Get some of the bigger names to get better relationship with MS for better cross platform compatibility in the work place.

Linux community has a long way to go before they become anywhere close to mainstream.
Their Fragmentation and support community are atrocious.

I will say, no, it is not everyone that is a LiNazi, but there are far too many still, it damages the brand.

Get unified, get professional, get backing, get support and linux might stand a chance.
till then, it's still a fringe system that is only good for back-end support or Grandma Jones who's grandson talked her into using it, but can only come and work on it to fix things every 3 weekend when they aren't busy.

Again,, I want to see Linux more, would love to see the competition and the possibilities of a very powerful Linux Environment are truly endless.

At this time, we can only wish.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Believe me when I say, I would love to see Linux more prevalent the society as a whole.
I would love to see it on more devices, competition is what advances society, without it, we would still have Windows 95 most likely

I wish things like LiberOffice and Open Office were more reliable with MS Office.
But they aren't, that is a fact, not opinion. It's been proven time and again, documents get corrupted when edited or simply opened between them. This isn't a good alternative for the work place. And the fact they just are not as powerful as Office.
They both still have a very long way to go.
Honestly, I wish that wasn't true.

I would love to see Linux on more devices, like tablets, etc. Take a big huge bite out of Android to put Google in their place.
You would see a major change there.

But let be honest, the Linux community are far too fragmented, to elitist and too snarky about people trying to transfer over or just learn about Linux coming from Windows. i have far too many times been a victim of LiNazi attacks simply for mention Microsoft.
Their heads explode.

I still delve into and take a look at Linux from time to time and try to learn a bit, but I don't go to the Linux sites and ask questions any longer. Not worth my time, when I ask a question about "hey I do X in Windows, how can I do it in Linux?" and the rampage starts.

Change the community and maybe Linux will get somewhere.

Change the Dev Support problems with the smaller third party software vendors to support their software better (which they can't cause it is all based off advertisement and donations). Get some of the bigger names to get better relationship with MS for better cross platform compatibility in the work place.

Linux community has a long way to go before they become anywhere close to mainstream.
Their Fragmentation and support community are atrocious.

I will say, no, it is not everyone that is a LiNazi, but there are far too many still, it damages the brand.

Get unified, get professional, get backing, get support and linux might stand a chance.
till then, it's still a fringe system that is only good for back-end support or Grandma Jones who's grandson talked her into using it, but can only come and work on it to fix things every 3 weekend when they aren't busy.

Again,, I want to see Linux more, would love to see the competition and the possibilities of a very powerful Linux Environment are truly endless.

At this time, we can only wish.

That would also mean it would have to be commercial, Most serious applications too and with that it would be under different influences and loose the allure it has now. Soon it would be just another Windows or whatever. Today's weakness are also it's strength because it relies on much larger crowd of enthusiastic developers and innovators. It just wouldn't be the same any more. Being relatively open, PC (other than Mac) became what it is now and prevented than superior Macintosh to be leader in shear size of installed base. Who knows what position Atari TOS that I preferred at that time would have now if it was kept open and as accessible as MS Dos and windows. Let's not forget Amiga and OS/2, they were at one time quite promising OSs but got steamrolled anyway by shear number of applications for M$ OS. As an OS and indeed whole computer for it are just slaves to tools to use them, only the ones with most usable tools can win and even survive. I have very small number of payed programs but couple hundred relatively small free programs doing as little number of things at the time but do them well or at least to my satisfaction, but, those serious, payed (some pretty expensive ) ones are make or brake for me sticking to windows because there's nary an alternative to them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
And that is my point.

I mean you have Flavors like RedHat that come with Paid Support

But read the con's of each of these and that will tell you a very large story of why Linux has so many issues with going mainstream.

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

There can be Unity there,, look at Android, it's a free OS with a huge following due to Googles backing.
Otherwise, it would be in the same boat as the rest of Linux.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Now that you mention it, I realize that Hεαrtblεεd is at the server switch "level" and is unrelated to the user OS.
SteamGamer said:
Now excuse me, I must get back to changing all my passwords, and I have no idea of how many there are, much less where they are, or even, in some cases, what they are. It's giving me heartburn.

If this thread does not tolerate mention of Windows vulnerabilities, then I apologize for violating the universally understood, unwritten code.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II 3-core 2.3 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4A785-M (AM2+)
    Memory
    4 x 1GB Crucial DDR2 1066 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard ATI HD 4200 256MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell ST2421L
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    SSD Mushkin Chronos 120 GB (24 GB system partition)
    PSU
    Rocketfish 500W
    Cooling
    redundant
    Keyboard
    wireless
    Mouse
    different wireless
    Internet Speed
    12 MB/s max, 1 to 2 MB/s typical
    Browser
    Opera 20.0.1387.91 stable
    Antivirus
    Yes, I've got one.
I thought this was
Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux

Not 5 for Linux, Oh Well, Here are 12 reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux :party:

ss43.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Hi there
Perhaps you've been going to the wrong places for Linux help --most people seem to be quite helpful - however if you log on to a site say dealing with building obscure Linux kernels - then people don't expect questions like - how do I compile and install it.

I've posted above 5 stable distros which will be around for a long time - and for a lot of people Libre Office will work -- although Ms Office is still an absolute winner in every way.

anyway try this site

LinuxQuestions.org it's friendly enough.

Windows of course will remain on the vast majority of desktops unless a) ms persists with subscription software models, b) ms forces everyone to use the Cloud as much as possible and c) ms continues trying to make people think their desktops and workstations are perfectly suited to running a Mobile phone type of OS.

Learning Linux in any case is a good idea and if you are forced to switch for whatever reason you will have enough knowledge to do it properly.

There are good arguments though for running BOTH systems.

@mdmd -- Netflix won't run on Linux because of the STUPID Ms Silverlite DRM content protection stream in the media -- if you have to have DRM there are a load of better ways to introduce it -- even the Movie industry itself (not a great believer in freedom of content access) says SILVERLITE is a horrible cludgy system. Same reasoning applies to SKY GO content as well.

There's nothing inherently problematical about media streaming in Linux -- it's just the DINOSAURIAL DRM system kludged up and copyrighted by Ms (SILVERLITE) that prevents things like Netflix from running on Linux.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Linux software holds it's own, but it's probably not the desktop software that most hobbyists are used to. It's software like Apache, Tomcat, Sendmail, Bind, OpenLDAP, MSSQL, MongoDB, that are all fantastic packages, industry standards, etc.

At the desktop level, ubiquitous standards like MS Office rule the roost. And the problem is more than these apps (MS Office), don't actually adhere to open standards to allow more compatibility. In fact, in many cases I think they go out of their way to ensure non-compatibility, but that is neither here nor there.

As Jimbo said, there are good arguments for both systems. I couldn't even fathom my professional life without Linux servers. But I also have Windows servers, and continue to use Windows desktops at work and couldn't image being strapped to a Linux box for those tasks. And I even use a Mac for basic computer tasks at home these days, as it's incredibly fast in and out of sleep, with great performance and great battery life. It's almost a best of both worlds giving me a very nice GUI, as well as the underpinnings of a Linux/Unix system once I hit the command line.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Yanno, while I prefer windows, I am happy for the fact that Linux exists. Happy, because if windows ever goes completely crazy, and, say, goes all metro, or cloud only, or some other unimaginable nonsense, there'll likely be a flavor of linux that I can stand rather than windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H