eGalax touch screen- Windows 8 thinks it's a mouse

It is the 14" resistive model. Actually when I rebooted then it wouldn't even go to the desktop :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot 7 and 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Myself
    CPU
    Pentium D 3.60 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D945G
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PNY Optima
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Sound Card
    THX truStudio Pro and Sound Blaster Tactic3D Alpha
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2x Dell E170S
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1024
Actually it does boot up but it doesnt recognize it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot 7 and 8
    Myself
    CPU
    Pentium D 3.60 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D945G
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PNY Optima
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2x Dell E170S
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1024
Hi, I also encountered the touch screen problem.
My device is a 4-wire single-touch screen. My system is Win8Beta, and I eagerly want to make my touch screen acts like a touch. I contacted the EETI fellows and got the reply that my device is not HID-compatible so there is no touch for system, just a pure mouse pointer. Also I had posted a thread on MSDN forum to ask whether there could be a way to 'cheat' the system that I'm using a HID-touch device. But the moderator there only asked me to buy a new hardware.
Today I found a site: ULTRA MOBILE PC TIPS: Finally! HID Support for all Q1s with Vista Installed!
In this site, there is a link to download the beta-x86 driver. Since I'm using x64 system, I cannot install it. You can have a try.
:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Release Preview
    CPU
    Intel T6500
    Memory
    5G DDR3(1G+4G)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT130M
I installed it but when I tried to run tabcal it said there was no device to calibrate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot 7 and 8
    Myself
    CPU
    Pentium D 3.60 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D945G
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PNY Optima
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2x Dell E170S
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1024
I installed it but when I tried to run tabcal it said there was no device to calibrate.

I just installed a new WinCP 32bit in VHD. Installed the usbmini driver, after calibrating the touch screen, it works perfect!
Actually you didn't need to run tabcal, just at the start screen, type 'calibrate' and choose the setting tab, there you can see the calibrate tool for touch scrren.
I really looking forward to a x64 version of this usbmini.sys file! Hope someone can give the source code also :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Intel T6500
    Memory
    5G DDR3(1G+4G)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT130M
Greetings one and all, google led me here and I have basically the same issue; here is my issue and my progress thus far:

I have a 10'' resistive model from eGalax (I think... their drivers work but I bought it from dealextreme and they didn't include drivers, instructions etc and the is nothing on it saying who made it)
DropCloud%203%20May%202012%2001:23:20.png

DropCloud%203%20May%202012%2001:23:44.png

IMG_0548.JPG

I'm using it in conjunction with most of the parts of my old Eee 1005P netbook, basically gutted it, removed the keyboard and monitor, put the touch panel on the monitor and laid the monitor flat on the rest of the netbook (if I get the drivers to work I'll re-build it into a tablet).

Anyway, here are my experiences with it thus far in Win8 CP: with no drivers at all installed it actually works, but it's basically mirrored horizontally (it's installed the correct orientation with really strong double-sized tape) and slightly off vertically it does register as a proper touch input though thus the keyboard appears when I manage to hit an input field etc, but since it's backwards and a bit off it's unusable. Calibration doesn't help, tried it a bunch of times and I've tried doing it spot on and trying to compensate, but no matter how I do it it's basically 1:1 bottom left corner, and gets more out of whack the further from where I go, top right the touch indicator is about 2cm right of where i touch and half a cm bellow.

With the eGalax drivers direct from their site it works also (sometimes, need to install and uninstall a couple of times before it actually works for some odd reason) but as said it's treated as a mouse, there are different "modes" in the software, but they all seem to make it into a mouse with different properties regulating how long pushes etc are treated etc, the calibration is excellent though especially with 25point, everything is spot on, but you loose all touch features of Win8.

Those HID drivers (those and a ton of others seem like OEM modified/rebranded eGalax drivers) don't work for me, I get a yellow ! on "PS/2 Mouse" with the message "re-install drivers", my controller is USB. (Tried re-installing them automatically, manually etc, no go)

I'm 64bit though.

I see 3 possible ways to progress from here:

1: Find some way to correct 8's calibration. (for me anyway, not sure if others in here get it to work sans-drivers).

2: Official eGalax drivers that have "native touch mode". (they seem somewhat hesitant to upgrade their older gear and want you to buy new it seems) third party modified driver might be a more realistic option (OEM or modified by someone with the same issue and enough skills to fix the drivers)

3: OEM HID drivers that work with USB controllers.

Really hope we find a fix for this, would be really neat to have a Win8 tablet I only paid $60 for.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ulti, Win8 CP
    Mine
    CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    Rampage Formula
    Memory
    8GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus 6970

I just installed a new WinCP 32bit in VHD. Installed the usbmini driver, after calibrating the touch screen, it works perfect!
Actually you didn't need to run tabcal, just at the start screen, type 'calibrate' and choose the setting tab, there you can see the calibrate tool for touch scrren.
I really looking forward to a x64 version of this usbmini.sys file! Hope someone can give the source code also :)

But in Device Manager, after installing usbmini, it still says it's a mouse and not a HID device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot 7 and 8
    Myself
    CPU
    Pentium D 3.60 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D945G
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PNY Optima
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2x Dell E170S
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1024
So it wont let me calibrate it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot 7 and 8
    Myself
    CPU
    Pentium D 3.60 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D945G
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PNY Optima
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2x Dell E170S
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1024
Ok been playing. The drivers I mentioned earlier are for 32 bits systems. However 64 bit are not singed correctly. I've self-singed them and installed them first. Then ran the set up and rebooted and hey presto working under 64 bit complete with correct calibration unlike the built in system. My screen uses egalax touch panel. It is do-able but a lot off faffing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP
Mine is 32-bit

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot 7 and 8
    Myself
    CPU
    Pentium D 3.60 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D945G
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PNY Optima
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2x Dell E170S
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1024
Ok been playing. The drivers I mentioned earlier are for 32 bits systems. However 64 bit are not singed correctly. I've self-singed them and installed them first. Then ran the set up and rebooted and hey presto working under 64 bit complete with correct calibration unlike the built in system. My screen uses egalax touch panel. It is do-able but a lot off faffing.

Care to share? or provide some instructions on how to do this?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ulti, Win8 CP
    Mine
    CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    Rampage Formula
    Memory
    8GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus 6970

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Boot 7 and 8
    Myself
    CPU
    Pentium D 3.60 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D945G
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PNY Optima
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2x Dell E170S
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1024

Care to share? or provide some instructions on how to do this?

Ill try and put something together. However it will be a 'guide' only. If things don't work I won't be able to give tech support. I'm not on a pc at the moment so will do this when I am.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP
To sign 64 bit drivers you need to do the following, do not miss any steps out or change order as it probably won't work!

1) Download and install the Windows 8 SDK kit

2) Download and install the Windows 8 WDK kit

3) Download the drivers I used from ftp://support.archos.com/Archos%209/...00115_Beta.zip Please note these drivers only work if your USB VID id is 0EEF and your PID id is 0001. In theory you can change this to match yours!

4) Extract drivers and copy the x64 folder to you driver root (this is only to make command line stuff simpler)

5) Working from the x64 folder you copied remove all cat files, files that start combus,ps2mini and serial mini. This should just leave usbmini and egxbus files also leave devcon.exe and DPInst.exe as you will need them to install the drivers once signed.

6) Using the Windows 7 signing guide I found on the Microsoft site (ignore all the information and what operating system its for) Steps for Signing a Device Driver Package FOLLOW EACH STEP TO THE LETTER

7) For the self-sign certificate I used: makecert -r -n "CN=eGalax - Driver signing" -ss eGalax -sr LocalMachine

8) The command I used to create the cat files: inf2cat /driver:c:\x64 /os:XP_X86,XP_X64,Server2003_X86,Server2003_X64,Vista_X86,Vista_X64,Server2008_X86,Server2008_X64,7_X86,7_X64,8_X86,8_X64

9) You need to sign each of the cat files the were created here are my commands:
A) signtool sign -s eGalax -n "eGalax - Driver signing" /t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timestamp.dll c:\x64\egxbus.cat
B) signtool sign -s eGalax -n "eGalax - Driver signing" /t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timestamp.dll c:\x64\usbmini.cat

10) As long as you have followed all the steps as detailed and NO errors were produced you can now install the drivers by running DPInst.exe as an Administrator.

11) Remove the original x64 folder and copy this one in to the set up location and then run the setup.exe as normal. Just ignore the stuff about PS2 and COM ports. Once installed reboot!

12) If all went well you should now be able to use the touch screen as I can.

Please note I give this as a guide and not a definitive source and cannot answer technical questions.

PS You will need to find the markcert, inf2cat and signtool in the program files (x86)\Windows kits\8.0 folders. I used the 64 bit folders where possible but I am guessing its the same tool for 32/64 bits

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP

But in Device Manager, after installing usbmini, it still says it's a mouse and not a HID device.

my vid=0eef&pid=0001
Maybe you should uninstall the previous drivers and then install this one.
Also pay attention to the driver, this driver is not digitally signed, so you may turn off the driver signing requirement first(in bootmgr) and install it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Intel T6500
    Memory
    5G DDR3(1G+4G)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT130M
To sign 64 bit drivers you need to do the following, do not miss any steps out or change order as it probably won't work!

<snip>

I tried that, I really did, my values are correct and I followed the instructions step by step, but in the end no matter what I did I kept getting an error relating to the signature of the drivers, I'm guessing some vital step is omitted from those instructions, my chief suspicion is that since the driver files themselves are unmodified they might not line up with the license you make, but I digress.

I gave up and installed Win8 CP x86 instead, drivers install fine, but calibration is a total mess, calibrated my display and it's just random flailing all over the place what ever I do.

I finally gave up on getting one of these drivers to work, so instead I took an alternate route; since my touch screen works in 8 with no drivers but with a horizontal mirroring of input and really bad calibration I figured I could get around the calibration problem somehow, and I was right:

This guy had a similar issue but with other hardware and OS: Memo for Problems and Solutions: The Touchscreen Problem on my Laptop but his solution applies.

The TabletPC touch calibration utility normally only has very few calibration spots and the result on my cheap chinese touch screen is really bad, my best guess would be that the touch screen isn't perfectly linear in input over the surface, or uneven, anyway with a whole lot more calibration points it's much better, that utility accepts command line arguments it turns out:

Here is the command that gave me the best results thus far:

tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=4,207,410,613,816,1020 YGridPts=4,155,306,457,608,760

(cmd needs to be run as administrator, default path of c:\windows\system32 is the one you want)

Note that if your resolution isn't 1024x768 you need your own numbers, I'd suggest 4-6 at the extremes and one fairly close to those and then evenly spaced total of 6 points per axis, you'll need a bit of basic math to get your points, but it's not a difficult job.

I've tried a bunch, I even tried giving it an insane amount of points, but for some reason that has diminishing returns, above 6 per axis seems to break it somehow, I'll look into this further but that command gives me a very solid performance all over the screen, it occasionally goes weird on me but I think that's because I haven't yet fixated the cables involved and I'm using fairly thin double sided tape to attach the touch panel to the screen, it might be touching the screen slightly or the cables might be flexing not sure, I'm confident when I've replaced the electrical tape with screws and hard plastic around the edges and managed the cables better it will be consistent.

If you need to reset the calibration to try again you need to go into the registry to delete the reference to "LinearityData" for the device in addition to the place he talks about, searching for "LinearityData" is enough to find all entries you need to delete, the TabletPC panel can't delete values made this way it seems, rebooting and re-plugging the device might also help in some way to reset the calibration it seems, don't try to re-calibrate while the display is still acting like it did before you reset, it will just compound the offset you're trying to get rid of, it needs to act like it did before any calibration. The old calibration even after a reset seems to linger at times, helps to do the stuff I mentioned just now, restart, replug, use the calibration utility on TabletPC settings and reset it in there etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ulti, Win8 CP
    Mine
    CPU
    Q6600
    Motherboard
    Rampage Formula
    Memory
    8GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus 6970

1) Download and install the Windows 8 SDK kit

2) Download and install the Windows 8 WDK kit

3) Download the drivers I used from ftp://support.archos.com/Archos%209/...00115_Beta.zip Please note these drivers only work if your USB VID id is 0EEF and your PID id is 0001. In theory you can change this to match yours!

4) Extract drivers and copy the x64 folder to you driver root (this is only to make command line stuff simpler)

5) Working from the x64 folder you copied remove all cat files, files that start combus,ps2mini and serial mini. This should just leave usbmini and egxbus files also leave devcon.exe and DPInst.exe as you will need them to install the drivers once signed.

6) Using the Windows 7 signing guide I found on the Microsoft site (ignore all the information and what operating system its for) Steps for Signing a Device Driver Package FOLLOW EACH STEP TO THE LETTER

7) For the self-sign certificate I used: makecert -r -n "CN=eGalax - Driver signing" -ss eGalax -sr LocalMachine

8) The command I used to create the cat files: inf2cat /driver:c:\x64 /os:XP_X86,XP_X64,Server2003_X86,Server2003_X64,Vista_X86,Vista_X64,Server2008_X86,Server2008_X64,7_X86,7_X64,8_X86,8_X64

9) You need to sign each of the cat files the were created here are my commands:
A) signtool sign -s eGalax -n "eGalax - Driver signing" /t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timestamp.dll c:\x64\egxbus.cat
B) signtool sign -s eGalax -n "eGalax - Driver signing" /t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timestamp.dll c:\x64\usbmini.cat

10) As long as you have followed all the steps as detailed and NO errors were produced you can now install the drivers by running DPInst.exe as an Administrator.

11) Remove the original x64 folder and copy this one in to the set up location and then run the setup.exe as normal. Just ignore the stuff about PS2 and COM ports. Once installed reboot!

12) If all went well you should now be able to use the touch screen as I can.

Please note I give this as a guide and not a definitive source and cannot answer technical questions.

PS You will need to find the markcert, inf2cat and signtool in the program files (x86)\Windows kits\8.0 folders. I used the 64 bit folders where possible but I am guessing its the same tool for 32/64 bits

I tested on my computer with Win8RPX64 and Win8CPX64, both of them cannot start the device, with error code 10(0xA).
Can you send me the signed x64 files? Many thanks in advance!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Intel T6500
    Memory
    5G DDR3(1G+4G)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT130M
You still won't be able install them as they are self-signed. I'm not sure if you can install the certificate I created and this would be a security risk. Microsoft have just made the release candidate available and I'll be installing this over the British long weekend!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 CP
Back