DOS Command Line

Here, Here!

I also get bugged by the misplaced "DOS" reference. Additionally, I hate when users refer to any text-based application or interface as "the old DOS program we used to use". I've heard the OS/2 Command Prompt, text-based OS/2 applications, terminal sessions on a mainframe through a telnet app, and even Unix text-based apps all referred to as "DOS".

Well, Jody, You've got a hell of an uphill job on your hands reeducating all us poor uneducated types . Especially as I can see, on a quick and dirty search, over 300 Threads which talk aboiut the "DOS Command Prompt" and the "DOS Command Window".

Really, if you know what someone MEANS by the phrase they use, does it really matter whether they are TECHNICALLY correct. Many of us are not particularly interested in the ins and outs of the architecture of the computers we use or the way that things work on a chip level, we just want to know what button to click to get our fonts changed or our files in an acceptable order.

It's very comparable to the fact that I KNEW what you meant when you said "Here, Here" at the start of your post. The Phrase is actually "Hear, Hear" but you've probably never seen it written down.

However, for someone who is a student of the English Language, the words "Hear", "Here" and "Year" are all pronounced quite differently. But then, I'm pedantic about English.

But, as I knew what you MEANT by the misquoted phrase, I would never normally draw attention to it by correcting you - but on this occasion it does seem to be a good illustration of the fact that we Pedants all have our individual crosses to bear (LOL).

Merlin :):)

Ye're a man after me own heart, Merlin!

Because this is a technical forum, I have to occasionally sit on my hands to keep from correcting some of the more egregious errors made in the English language. But for the most part, sitting on my hands works.

Yep, I caught "Here, Here!" too, as well as a number of other mutilations of English . . . but I digress.

I agree that DOS is no longer what it used to be, but the fact is that in the beginning, Windows 3.0/3.1 was built on top of DOS. I was around when Bill Gates was still in diapers. :) And, I'm not so sure that the underpinning of Windows 8.1 isn't still tied to a whole lot of DOS. Why else do we have the Command Prompt? If there weren't some DOS down deep in the bowels of Windows, Microsoft would have made a Windows app to cover what we use the Command Prompt for. Chill everyone and take the above with a grain of salt.

I will never try to tell someone they're dead wrong, because if I do, I can guarantee I'll eat my words before long. Neither will I correct someone unless I absolutely know they're fixing to get into trouble. It makes no nevermind to me if someone wants to say there's no longer any DOS in Windows, or if they say it's all DOS underneath. Like you, I understand what they mean. And there's no way someone's gonna get into trouble trying to do something in DOS these days, since the Command Prompt will just sit there and act dumb . . . or tell me I'm dumb. :)

Just my two cents and that won't even buy a penny piece of candy any more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Merlin, at the risk of derailing this thread, I do agree with you. Proper English is dying. Here in the US if you correct anyone you're considered the "word police". We have really butchered the language.

Feel free to correct my post now. :)

EDIT: This is something we should discuss in the Chillout Room section. Don't get me started on they, their, and they're.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh! Another hero of the English Language.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
May I say dBASE again if looking to seriously manipulate files? True, it's not free.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
Merlin, at the risk of derailing this thread, I do agree with you. Proper English is dying. Here in the US if you correct anyone you're considered the "word police". We have really butchered the language.

EDIT: This is something we should discuss in the Chillout Room section. Don't get me started on they, their, and they're.

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh! Another hero of the English Language.

My high school teachers where dedicated. I also enjoyed English Literature, probably not even an elective anymore.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
It's very comparable to the fact that I KNEW what you meant when you said "Here, Here" at the start of your post. The Phrase is actually "Hear, Hear" but you've probably never seen it written down.

However, for someone who is a student of the English Language, the words "Hear", "Here" and "Year" are all pronounced quite differently. But then, I'm pedantic about English.

You'd be right in saying that I have not often seen it written down, and that's funny as I'm usually fussy when it comes to the written word (don't let my little gaffe fool you). Nonetheless, I'm glad you have a sense of humour about it all.
:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 x64 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP xw8600 Workstation
    CPU
    Two Intel Xeon Core2 Quad 3.2 GHz Processors
    Motherboard
    Proprietary
    Memory
    16 GB DDR2 800 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia Quadro FX 3800 PCI-E
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21" 4x3 Flat Screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    Two Seagate Cheetah 300 GB SAS Disks
    PSU
    Proprietary
    Case
    HP xw8600 Workstation Case
    Cooling
    Two CPU Fans and a Larger Case Fan
    Keyboard
    PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech USB Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    7 mbps
    Browser
    Firefox ESR 102
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Two LSI 3000 SAS Adapters
Just tried ReNamer that Count Mike recommended and it worked for me. I setup a simple test of 3 files following the naming convention you described. Added them to the ReNamer window then setup a run to delete from H to [ and poof, the rename is done.

Renamer.jpg

RenamerRule.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH

Would love to continue the discussion but do not know how to locate this "Chillout Room" of which you speak. Many such modern terms are strange to me and their meanings shrouded in mystery.

A few directions, maybe ??

Merlin

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
Would love to continue the discussion but do not know how to locate this "Chillout Room" of which you speak. Many such modern terms are strange to me and their meanings shrouded in mystery.

A few directions, maybe ??Merlin

Scroll back up to the top of this page>click on Windows 8 Forums (second >scroll to the bottom of that page and you should see next to the bottom: Chillout Room.

Better yet, just follow this: Chillout Room - Windows 8 Forums

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
This: ReNamer - Download I use for many years now and is very versatile and fast. Can even do conversion capital <>small letters hash removal, numbering etc.

Just tried ReNamer that Count Mike recommended and it worked for me. I setup a simple test of 3 files following the naming convention you described. Added them to the ReNamer window then setup a run to delete from H to [ and poof, the rename is done.

View attachment 51372

View attachment 51373

With the endorsement from ztrucvker, I'm also going to give Count Mike's nominatyion a go - it looks like a really nice simpole basic decision tree renamer, which looks (from ztrucker's screen dump) as if it could solve the great majority of my probs.

I tried to get some advice like this from a few UK Forums (not even I am pedantic enough to say "fora" although I have to admit knowing people who do) and was attacked egregiously by a series of OCD task oriented posters who, instead of making helpful suggestions asked why I was wasting my time and why I just didn't do it the long way around. The obvious reason, of course, is that one or two days at this end of the problem would, if there is a solution in the form of some software, is going to save me a lot of time in the long run because this is going to be a problem while I'm still able to read books and comics.

The REAL reason, of course, is that I'm a computer geek.

I had my first system in '77 - a 16k Model 1 level II Trash-80 which cost me then £310.00.

Available software - Nil.

So I became habitualised to finding a run time based solution to any problem that I came across and would spend four or five hours writing and compiling routines that I could have done "the Hard Way" in half the time. Gave me a huge sense of accvomplishment every time I succeeded and (for a\nyone who remembers programming in Trash-80 Basic, improved my Maths Skills exponentially.

So that's why I came here - I guess you're mostly American ?

Merlin

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
With the endorsement from ztrucvker, I'm also going to give Count Mike's nominatyion a go - it looks like a really nice simpole basic decision tree renamer, which looks (from ztrucker's screen dump) as if it could solve the great majority of my probs.

Merlin

Merlin, Merlin, Merlin . . . And after you so took Jody to task!

Sorry, da debil made moi did it!:dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

You'd be right in saying that I have not often seen it written down, and that's funny as I'm usually fussy when it comes to the written word (don't let my little gaffe fool you). Nonetheless, I'm glad you have a sense of humour about it all.
:)

Jody, with my many flaws, a sense of humour is not just a character attribute - it's a necessity !!

Merlin

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Renamer I found few years ago when I used to digitize music records and rip music CDs to make huge collection of music, .mp3 files (literary thousands of them) and most of the time spent on that job was on proper naming of files. Using format: "Performer Song Year.mp3", took a lot of key punching (yeah, I know, obsolete term) and found it much easier using that program to name/rename whole batches at once. As I am two and 1/2 finger typist it took really long time.

I must apologize to English purists if my spelling and sentence composition is not at high level but I (and I can imagine a lot of other people on this forum) are not naturally English speakers. I started learning English at 5 years of age, took English classes all thru school and that was just what we call here "Schoolbook English" which gave us just basic understanding and grammar. During the times before internet (or is it Internet ?) had very rare occasions to have conversation with real English or American people so most of phrases were picked up from music and movies. You can imagine the mix our English was. Only after arriving in Canada I was able to start sorting it all out but that left me with Canadian spelling and mostly north American words for certain things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Be careful installing ReNamer though as it tries to foist off 3 other crapware programs on you during the install. As long as you pay attention you can avoid them easily.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Be careful installing ReNamer though as it tries to foist off 3 other crapware programs on you during the install. As long as you pay attention you can avoid them easily.

Thanks for the heads up, ztruker.

No matter how many bits of software I download, I am still caught out on occasions by failing to deselect crappy toolbars, new home pages and so on.

Merlin

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Download AdwCleaner and MalwareBytes. They are free and will get rid of most things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)