Do you agree the Windows 8.1 Start Button is a Joke?

Alright, Mystere...

Against my better judgement, I've decided to sacrifice (waste?) a quarter of my monthly allowance to give this a try.

Downloading now, and taking an image of my W8 setup.

I'll get back to you... but I will be marking harshly.

Wenda.

LOL, Wenda! You're downloading this because you want the 8.1 Preview ISO in your collection of 1MIL+1 OSs aren't you? :p

Not meaning to be critical, but you know darn well by now what the changes are. :D

At least you'll experience it first hand. :)

OK, busted. Well, partially. And yes, I did get the ISO... :D;)

I'm on it now, just finished installing for the second time. It didn't like my USB3 drivers and went into an unrecoverable reboot loop the first time..

It's a clean, standalone setup, not in a VM, I figured if I was going to do this, it may as well be done properly. I haven't had a chance to look around much yet, but have managed to get rid of Skydrive and that net-search, which is good. Drivers for both GFX cards installed no problem as did the chipset drivers.

Something which will no doubt shock you all, is that I'm going to give it a go without installing a 3rd-party start menu. I have, however, enabled the Quick-Launch toolbar.

Anyway, I'm off to install the rest of the hardware drivers, and have a look around.

Oh, I can't seem to turn system restore on. Any ideas?

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
The first thing that bothered me when installing the W8.1 preview from the ISO is that you either give them your e-mail address or you can't finish the installation. With W8 you could skip this step and use a local account. The start button they give you adds no value. What is the difference whether you click on a start button that takes you to the modern desktop or you drag your mouse into the lower left corner and click to get to the same place? I installed W8.1 on a spare HD and fooled around with for an hour or so. The smaller tiles are a nice feature but other than that it doesn't do a thing for people that want the traditional desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bit and 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo and Dell
    CPU
    Intel i3
You're making assumptions, and jumping to conclusions. I am as well, but your assumptions are illogical. Like assuming metro will only ever be one screen. This is a work in progress, it will eventually have all the same functionality as Win32.
So if it will have all the same functionality as Win32, multi-screen, multi-windows, mouse, keyboard, etc., why are we playing around with screens and apps that are in no way as capable as the "eventual" "modern" Windows? Why not just add "apps capability" to the desktop, perhaps with a nice window with tiles for your favorite apps?

If you could put the Start Screen and All Apps screen in a Modern Mix window the future would be Now :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Win 7-8 64-bit
    Dell Studio XPS8100
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Dell 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    900GB and 1.5TB
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/s down 1.5 Mb/s up
    Other Info
    I worked my up from a virtual machine, to a slow 32-bit celeron and now two monitors on my XPS8100. Works great!
If you still have issues with Windows 8(.1)'s Start screen, then I guess you can suck it up or Windows 8 just isnt for you. Use your third party add on, stay with Windows 7 or stop whining. There is nothing wrong with the Start screen and we dont need a pop up menu. Sometimes you have to accept the change or forgo it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
It adds exactly 2 features. There is a button to click on instead of just going to the corner and clicking on the small tile that appears. Right-click adds exactly one feature, an easy way to shutdown/reboot.

It does not provide the nice compact well organized Start Menu of Windows 7 and previous versions of Windows. Fortunately Classic Shell and others still provide full featured start buttons/menus.

Yes.....a very cruel joke

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 - Linux (Ubuntu & Zorin) - XP
    iBuyPower
    CPU
    i5-2320 3.00GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock H61M-VVGS
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon 6770
If you still have issues with Windows 8(.1)'s Start screen, then I guess you can suck it up or Windows 8 just isnt for you. Use your third party add on, stay with Windows 7 or stop whining. There is nothing wrong with the Start screen and we dont need a pop up menu. Sometimes you have to accept the change or forgo it.

Or work around it to your satisfaction.

FYI, I am NOT using a start menu ATM. And I've been using 8 since beta day one. So I doubt it's 'not for me'.

Don't be so patronising.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.

Windows 8 and 8.1 are great particularly with a few tweaks like Classic Shell and ModernMix . I have quite a few utilities I almost never use. The Start Screen and "Metro" Apps fall into that same category. As long as Windows continues to support proper productivity programs like Office, Dreamweaver, Autocad, CorelDraw, Visual Studio, etc, there is nothing to "suck up" or "forgo".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Dual Win 7-8 64-bit
    Dell Studio XPS8100
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 260
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Dell 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    900GB and 1.5TB
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 Mb/s down 1.5 Mb/s up
    Other Info
    I worked my up from a virtual machine, to a slow 32-bit celeron and now two monitors on my XPS8100. Works great!
OK.

It's on. It runs. It's 4AM.

I'm going to bed.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
How do I upgrade to windows 8.1 can any body tell me how and I don't want to use a stupid iso

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    acer ax3950
    CPU
    i3 530
    Memory
    4 gig ddr 3
    Graphics Card(s)
    dont need one as i go on onlive cloud gaming
    Sound Card
    none
    Monitor(s) Displays
    i-inc 19 inch wide
    Hard Drives
    640 gig
    Cooling
    fan
    Keyboard
    logitec s540
    Mouse
    motor mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 meg virgin media uk
OK.

It's on. It runs. It's 4AM.

I'm going to bed.

Wenda.

Wow! That's dedication to see things through! :thumbup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hi there
What I would like is for the start button to be able to say launch one of my Custom toolbars e.g Programs. I'm sure the start button will have SOME functionality at some point in the future --currently it just seems a bit pointless.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
How do I upgrade to windows 8.1 can any body tell me how and I don't want to use a stupid iso

iso's are not stupid ,and win8.1 is only a preview,and if you have to ask how to install it maybe it best you not ! ,it can cause many problems to you system ,i suggest you not install it on you main computer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Against my better judgement, I've decided to sacrifice (waste?) a quarter of my monthly allowance to give this a try.

I'll get back to you... but I will be marking harshly.

Lol, I didn't say you should use 8.1 if you don't want to. In fact, given it's preview status, i'd say you shouldn't if you are that skeptical... So don't blame me if you have problems.

My point was about the future. You seem convinced that Windows is moving to a single screen tablet only universe, and I am quite confident that that is not the case. The situation we have now is because Windows 8.x is a transitional OS, where they are rolling out functionality in yearly upgrades. Don't assume that the way things are now will always be the case, although some things certainly will not go back to the way they were (Ie, they will never return to the old Start Menu because they had very solid, real reasons to ditch it.. they might come up with something else that is different from the current start menu, but MS will never return to the old way).

Metro still has a ways to go before it's at feature parity of Win32.

What I'm saying is that it was available as a local only calendar App in windows 8 but not in 8.1, so eventually I will be forced to log in to Microsoft account to use my PC, I don't like being dragged in to something I don't want to do.

Does it? I've never used the Calendar app in Windows 8, so I just tried it now and it automatically used my Mail account and did not give me the choice to not use a web account.

So if it will have all the same functionality as Win32, multi-screen, multi-windows, mouse, keyboard, etc., why are we playing around with screens and apps that are in no way as capable as the "eventual" "modern" Windows? Why not just add "apps capability" to the desktop, perhaps with a nice window with tiles for your favorite apps?

If you could put the Start Screen and All Apps screen in a Modern Mix window the future would be Now :D

Because Metro is a new OS, and it cannot run on the same "screen" as Win32 apps. MS could put the entire Metro screen in a window, but that's just like a remote desktop, and that would probably be very confusing to a lot of people.

Further, the first version of Metro only allowed 3 "sizes" of apps, because the API was not yet mature.. 8.1 expands that to allow adjustable sizes...

The real point however, is that MS actually treats the legacy desktop as an "app" in metro, not the other way around.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
WARNING: Long Post.

Well, I'm playing with it (8.1, you dirty buggers) now, as a fresh install, not an upgrade (you can't do an upgrade install anyway, with the ISO).

I am not using any 3rd-party start menus, but I have enabled the old Quick-Launch toolbar in case I do need it. And I did... see point #1 below.

And, so far, I only have a few problems/issues...

1/ The Pin To Start function doesn't always work. The main Start Screen is quite buggy.

2/ The absolute mess they've made of File Manager/Explorer. I'll hack/work around that one.

3/ The removal of the ability to take system images natively. No biggie as I have the full retail of EaseUS ToDo 5.8

4/ Stuck in an MS account. I tried to create another, but it wouldn't let me create an Admin account. I always operate in Admin mode, so I stayed in the MS account. UAC is set to the second 'step', as always.

Some things I do like...

1/ The new All Apps screen. THIS is what the SS should have been all along. But wasn't, cos you couldn't go straight to it, or config it. It still scrolls across about nine screens (@1920x1080 yet), but I do have a lot of stuff installed. Creative Suite CS2 and Photo-Shop CS5 sprayed tiles everywhere, but I expected that.

2/ The added functionality to the 'guts menu'. This is the one part of 8/8.1 that I really miss when using my Vista/W7 setups, as I use it so much. Now for the ability to easily add to it...

3/ Internet Explorer 11. Desktop version is great, but the Metro version is actually worth using this time, unlike the W8 incarnation. Neither the Google Toolbar or the Bing Bar will work on the desktop version unless Enhanced Compatibility is turned off.

4/ Not surprisingly, I love the fact that none of the functions that were moved to Metro appear to have been lost to us 'fogies' on the desktop.

5/ And, of course, yes, by dint of much early-hours faffing about last night, I managed to almost totally isolate the thing from the internet without the 'nod' from moi first! YES!! This was my major fear with W8.1

Some comments: While I could have gotten it from the Store, and been (apparently) able to do an upgrade install, I'm glad I chose the ISO. The first install went for a Burton when 8.1 took a dislike to my m/board's USB3 drivers. Having the ISO meant I avoided a second download (on 15GB/month!!?). The generic graphic drivers for both my chipsets (Intel 3000HD, and GeForce GT555M) were rubbish, but the latest W8 drivers from Intel & Nvidia fixed that.

I haven't tested many of the 35+ games in my W8 setup, but the two I did test were both 'oldies', as I figured most of the later stuff shouldn't be too much of a problem. The original Call of Duty runs like a dream, and Halo: Combat Evolved likewise, but 8'1 automatically(??) sets Compatibility Mode for it. Hmm... I'd rather do the comp.testing manually, but that's just me.

All my graphics programs (Photo-Shop, GIMP, Inkscape etc) work just fine, although I did upgrade from Paint-Shop Pro 8 to PSP 9. PSP 8 isn't happy on 8.1, PSP 9 didn't like W7 or W8, but for some reason loves 8.1... go figure. Office 2010 installed and activated without drama, as did PowerDVD 10 and K-Lite.

I spent around fourteen hours on this OS yesterday, including d/l time for the ISO and imaging the Win 8 setup... I ended up falling asleep at the keyboard at 4am this morning. And I've put another 8 into it today. I now have an Os that I wouldn't say is better or worse than Win 8, but is certainly much more refined.

At this stage, yes. I can live with it. But it does have flaws, and things I dislike. I said I was going to mark harshly, Mystere, and believe me, I have.

I give it 7½ out of 10. (W8 got a 7, as did Vista. W7 got a 9).

Off to play around some more....

Wenda.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
To the thread title.
It is my belief, that, in the Microsoft programming section, and, in particular, in the portion dedicated to Windows 8.1/feedback, there lurks a malicious programmer with, either, a sense of humour or, unable to comprehend simple requests.

If you look through the astronomical number of complaints, regarding the menu, 70% refer to the "Start button". I have even remarked on this several time in earlier posts.
What users really wanted was a return to the old menu style. This evil gnome has given back what they asked for - the start button.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
Having installed Windows 8.1 yesterday at work, and looking at the start button, today while back to the interwebz I went to google I typed back "windows 8.1 joke"

Fortunately this thread was already created, so I specifically registerd an account in this site so we all can (once again) mock Micro$oft for their stupid design choices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
The first install went for a Burton when 8.1 took a dislike to my m/board's USB3 drivers..

just have to ask the origin of went for a Burton.
just because that's my last name ,thanks,and nice to see you are enjoying 8.1 a bit,i have installed it but iam away for the weekend and using my old Dell laptop with winxp

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
World War Two British Army slang term for one of their mates who's been killed.

Appropriate, because that's what my USB3 drivers did.to my W8.1 install.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.