Do you agree the Windows 8.1 Start Button is a Joke?

I strongly suspect telemetry from the Developer Preview told MS almost everyone had a quick look at metro, then disabled it.

That gave them a scare, and they set about stopping people from having a choice. The metro stuff is their whole ball game.

It is not desirable on a desktop - therefore they have to force it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Agreed

I strongly suspect telemetry from the Developer Preview told MS almost everyone had a quick look at metro, then disabled it.

That gave them a scare, and they set about stopping people from having a choice. The metro stuff is their whole ball game.

It is not desirable on a desktop - therefore they have to force it.

I agree with your assessment.

I have even seen that hypothesis affirmed by Metro lovers (on this very forum).

I used the Registry hack to eliminate Metro (in W8DP).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Why do you act like it's some conspiracy?

Microsoft has made no qualms about the fact that the normal desktop's days are numbered. It may take some time, but it will eventually be gone. Win32 apps will always be there, way too much legacy, but they may move that to a virtual environment at some point, making Metro the only real OS.

Yes, it's true that today (and tomorrow and probably for several years), Metro is not as functional as Win32, but each release will bring it closer until it surpasses Win32 (which won't be getting much new development). The writing is on the wall. There's no conspiracy. It's not a secret.

Since this is the case, why exactly would Microsoft do anything that wasn't driving them towards that goal? Why would bring back the old start menu? Doing so completely defeats their platform strategy, and gives mixed messages. Microsoft's message is clear. Adapt, or stay on Windows 7 until your apps no longer work.

Windows is not a democracy. Microsoft doesn't have to listen to anyone if they don't want to. It's their product. They own it. They decide the direction it goes in. Certainly, listening to customers as it applies to their chosen strategy is a good thing. But listening to customers who simply don't want to make any changes has no value.

The start menu is NOT coming back in any official form. Ever. Metro is not going away. Ever (or at least not for at least a decade, maybe more.. to be replaced with something else).. Win32 will be stagnating. Application developers will be focusing on Metro, for a large number of reasons.. but mostly because it's in their own self interest to do so. It opens up a new market for them. They make small concessions like the start button, in ways that don't really affect their overall strategy.. but that's about it.

Complain all you like, whine that you're not being listened to. Hate everything... it's not going to change Microsoft's path, since they have bet their company on their strategy and will not change it. If you don't like it, there's the door.

Nobody is saying you don't have a right to complain, what is being said is that you don't have a right to get your way. And expecting to get you way will only lead to further angst on your part.

Windows 8+ is not an incremental upgrade to the old Windows. It's a transition to a new operating system, not unlike how Apple transitioned from OS 9 to OS X. This isn't like going from Win16 to Win32, or Win32 to Win64. This is an entirely new OS that runs along side the old OS, and the new OS will slowly take over more and more duties until the old OS is relegated to a virtual machine.

My point is... get used to it, or move on. You're just going to keep being angry if you expect anything else.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
In that case... Hello, door!

I'm happy enough with Windows 8, love it, in fact. But it's as far as I'll be going down the MS road.

I'm a desktop user, first, last, and always. If MS can't or won't provide that, I'll use something that does.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
In that case... Hello, door!

I'm happy enough with Windows 8, love it, in fact. But it's as far as I'll be going down the MS road.

I'm a desktop user, first, last, and always. If MS can't or won't provide that, I'll use something that does.

Where did I say anything about not supporting desktops? I said, Metro would eventually surpass Win32. That means on the desktop as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Exxactly.

As an interesting option, it's OK. But as the only option...no, thanks. Not interested.

I want a Vista/Win 7/Win 8.0 desktop experience. With real programs, not online 'apps'.

Not Metro. And not the net-centricity of Win 8.1.

And If I need to go elsewhere than MS to get that, or remain with older versions of Windows, then I will.

Simple as that.

But, as I'm perfectly happy with 8.0 as I now have it set up, I see no reason to move at this stage.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Umm.. Are you actually listening to what you're saying?

You want a Vista/7/8 desktop experience, so you're going to an OS that's not Vista/7/8? How does that make any sense?

Metro apps are not "online apps". They may be downloaded, but they are installed locally. They're every bit as much a real app as Win32 apps are. Yes, many apps require a net connection to provide content, but desktop versions of those apps would as well, so I really don't understand your argument. It is illogical, and contradictory. It seems like a justification for not changing, and like most justifications, it's not well thought out.

If a metro app provides all the functionality of a win32 app (which I've already said currently they do not, but will some day in the future), what exactly is your problem with it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
It has nothing to do with disliking change, or I wouldn't have been using W8 since the CP. Nor would I have purchased the retail version at the earliest opportunity.

But it has a lot to do with being forced to be online, subscription-based software, a blatantly net-centric OS
and the lack of a proper windowed environment.

I've been computing for over 25 years, most of that without the internet. With 20 or 30 windows open at once, sometimes. Today, I can still do that. Tomorrow, I will not, according to MS. Win 8.1 is my 'Vista', and I'll be giving it the big miss.

If you like it, that's great, and I'm not knocking you for that. So why not just accept that I dislike, and have no interest in, the direction MS is headed, and leave it at that.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
I hated the old fashioned "Start Button" and it's inefficient menu paradigm. I NEVER used that crappy menu system.

I absolutely love the new Win8 "Start Screen". I believe it's more efficient and easier to use. I love the current modification that keeps the background the same for both Metro and Desktop. I think this solves the continuity issue that plagued these environments in Win8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I was forced to switch to Microsoft Account to use calendar App :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    High Definiton Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
But it has a lot to do with being forced to be online, subscription-based software, a blatantly net-centric OSand the lack of a proper windowed environment.

Where do you keep coming up with these things that simply have not been said? Nobody said anything about subscription only based software. There's nothing inherently "subscription" based about Metro apps. Desktop apps can be subscription based as well (see Adobe's new CC tools, for instance, and they're completely desktop win32 apps). Most apps in the Windows store are free, some are one-time purchase. I don't know of a single metro app in the app store that's subscription based, other than stuff like Netflix in which it's an inherent subscription service.

If you don't like subscription apps, don't buy subscription apps. Use the 10's of thousands of non-subscription apps.

And again you keep assuming that Metro means you can't have a windowed environment. That most likely will not be true in the future. Again, If Metro can do everything that Win32 can do (including windows) then I fail to see what the complaint is.

I've been computing for over 25 years, most of that without the internet. With 20 or 30 windows open at once, sometimes. Today, I can still do that. Tomorrow, I will not, according to MS. Win 8.1 is my 'Vista', and I'll be giving it the big miss.

Really? Please show me where Microsoft has said they will never support Windowed apps in Metro. I guarantee you they will in a future version, so this angst about it is pointless. You're working yourself up into a tizzy over something that is simply not going to be true. No, I don't have any proof that says they will support windowed apps in the future, but I'd be willing to stake my career on it being so.

If you like it, that's great, and I'm not knocking you for that. So why not just accept that I dislike, and have no interest in, the direction MS is headed, and leave it at that.

You're making assumptions, and jumping to conclusions. I am as well, but your assumptions are illogical. Like assuming metro will only ever be one screen. This is a work in progress, it will eventually have all the same functionality as Win32.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

The Calendar app is a client to the web service. Nothing prevents someone from writing a local only calendar application. Just because Microsoft doesn't provide one doesn't mean it's your only choice.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

The Calendar app is a client to the web service. Nothing prevents someone from writing a local only calendar application. Just because Microsoft doesn't provide one doesn't mean it's your only choice.
What I'm saying is that it was available as a local only calendar App in windows 8 but not in 8.1, so eventually I will be forced to log in to Microsoft account to use my PC, I don't like being dragged in to something I don't want to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    High Definiton Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

What I'm saying is that it was available as a local only calendar App in windows 8 but not in 8.1, so eventually I will be forced to log in to Microsoft account to use my PC, I don't like being dragged in to something I don't want to do.

Hi there

Plenty of Calendar apps around -- you don't need to use the Ms web provided one - --what about one built in to your email client --that's probably the most useful one anyway I'd imagine.

Most people I know use smart phones in any case for this type of app rather than a computer in any case - so your gripe IMO isn't a serious one.

Also using the central one from Ms can cause a problem if you travel a lot or want to arrange say ONLINE meetings with work colleagues in different time zones. Quite a problem vis a vis UK / EU / FINLAND/RUSSIA etc.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Alright, Mystere...

Against my better judgement, I've decided to sacrifice (waste?) a quarter of my monthly allowance to give this a try.

Downloading now, and taking an image of my W8 setup.

I'll get back to you... but I will be marking harshly.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Against my better judgement, I've decided to sacrifice (waste?) a quarter of my monthly allowance to give this a try.

Is it by using the Store method?
That's what I used so far...

Let's hope it's not a waste. I've installed that once, then i removed it, now I'm downloading it again, but it didn't worked the second time: no it was pending like forever so I stopped it, now it's the third time. But is seems to go faster which means the servers are less busy.

Good luck with that particular download.

If you get the ISO, it will be done more faster but through the Store, the preinstalled key will already be used, your programs will be kept, and you won't see any watermark (that was the case here anyway).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
The start button has one feature, after a little adjustment. I cannot see the value of it though. If you right click the taskbar and select properties, then the navigation tab. Then select "Show apps view automatically...blah blah..
, you will get all apps instead of just the modern menu. Is that useful? Not for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
The Store upgrade seems to be pending for ages... a bad joke they do.

I remember that one particular folder was made on the C drive which contains all the downloaded files. Now, it's been downloading for about two hours and there is no folder, the status is pending...

I don't like it.

Paying for my mistake: I removed 8.1 and now I cannot put it back again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Alright, Mystere...

I'll get back to you... but I will be marking harshly.

Wenda.

LOL, Wenda! You're downloading this because you want the 8.1 Preview ISO in your collection of 1MIL+1 OSs aren't you? :p

Not meaning to be critical, but you know darn well by now what the changes are. :D

At least you'll experience it first hand. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Off topic:

Welcome back, Mystere. It's good to see you posting again. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling