DISM /restoreHealth failes with error: 0x800f081f

I've now used that USB to install Win 81. Pro on a completely other system, without a single problem, so far. I installed Office 2010 and have run through all updates, my God are there many ... When I left work yesterday, I had started the component cleanup, but since that process is incredibly slow, I'll have to wait till Monday to see if the component store remains intact, or if it indeed becomes broken. No matter what, I'll try to use the USB to do a Repair Install, just to verify that it's possible. Hence the need to install MSO, as an external application.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel/Nvidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro, 256 GB
    Samsung 840 Pro, 512 GB
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    250/100 Mbit
    Browser
    FF/CHrome
    Antivirus
    MSE
I have now completed my test with the USB stick that failed to run a Repair Install on my own broken Win 8.1 system.

At work I installed, updated, installed Microsoft Office, updated Office, ran cleanup, verified store was still fine, then started Repair Install (it's not really called that), by starting setup.exe on the USB while inside Win8.1Pro.

It installed fine (superlong process!). It created a Windows.old folder with the entire old system. Everything seemed to have transferred fine to the new install. (Only tested with MSO, so can't verify proper transfer of other 3rd party programs). I updated that install too. Final test of Dism ScanHealth & RestoreHealth also worked fine.

So, there's nothing wrong with the USB-drive. ... (Yeah, all that just to verify that.)
It just doesn't work when trying to do a Repair Install on my own personal system. :-(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel/Nvidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro, 256 GB
    Samsung 840 Pro, 512 GB
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    250/100 Mbit
    Browser
    FF/CHrome
    Antivirus
    MSE
I have now completed my test with the USB stick that failed to run a Repair Install on my own broken Win 8.1 system.

At work I installed, updated, installed Microsoft Office, updated Office, ran cleanup, verified store was still fine, then started Repair Install (it's not really called that), by starting setup.exe on the USB while inside Win8.1Pro.

It installed fine (superlong process!). It created a Windows.old folder with the entire old system. Everything seemed to have transferred fine to the new install. (Only tested with MSO, so can't verify proper transfer of other 3rd party programs). I updated that install too. Final test of Dism ScanHealth & RestoreHealth also worked fine.

So, there's nothing wrong with the USB-drive. ... (Yeah, all that just to verify that.)
It just doesn't work when trying to do a Repair Install on my own personal system. :-(
Sorry that you're still having trouble. You've probably already done it, but perhaps Googling for "Windows Installer Failure" (or something like that) will lead you to another forum thread that may be of some help. Otherwise, looks like you'll be forced to do a clean install and start over. I know, that would be a real pain in the arse! My condolences to you if it becomes necessary.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT-240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell P2714T Touchscreen
FIXED IT!
No suggestion anywhere helped me.

Instead I can tell you that I have fixed one of my errors myself, by manually replacing the MSI files from the Windows 8.1 Pro ESD USB stick.
That was unnecessarily complex, but it now means that my Windows Installer starts!

I have tested to install some small programs and installing those Windows Updates that have refused to install for months. Both worked. I'm soon going to reboot the system for the first time since the fix and will comment about future issues in this thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel/Nvidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro, 256 GB
    Samsung 840 Pro, 512 GB
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    250/100 Mbit
    Browser
    FF/CHrome
    Antivirus
    MSE
My laptop originally came with the OEM Windows 8, which was later upgraded to 8.1 via the store.

All my attempts using DISM sourcing the install.wim file (derived from the Windows 8.1 USB installation media - using NT Lite to convert the install.esd to install.wim), have failed with the same error.

I would like to try this option now:
The only thing that finally worked for me was to perform a repair install from a DVD I burned from a Win 8.1 ISO image downloaded from Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help
After installing with a generic key, I was able to change it to my Windows 8.0 retail DVD key and activate. Then I could successfully download all the updates, including KB2919355.
I was then able to run disk cleanup with system files, including previous WIndows installations and Windows update file cleanup to reclaim some disk space.
I then ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /stsatcomponentcleanup which reclaimed even more disk space, although it takes a long time to complete.
Now, I can run DISM /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth (or /restorehealth) with no errors.
Yes, it was quite time consuming, but at least it allowed me to keep all my installed programs, apps, data files and most system settings and device drivers.
I'm still very upset that this KB29139355 update originally caused my component store corruption to begin with, and I have verified that fact by restoring a pre-update image on which I could run all DISM commands without failure. But eventually I had to accept the fact that Microsoft would probably tell me to do a repair install anyway.

1. Will this work for my OEM Windows 8 upgraded to 8.1 via the store?

These are the information I derived from Produkey:

==================================================
Product Name : Internet Explorer
Product ID : 00179-60040-00000-AAOEM
Product Key : DQQ2P-YNF4V-CMQHJ-RPXK8-QC736
Installation Folder :
Service Pack :
Computer Name : TASLAP2
Modified Time : 11/27/2014 12:21:13 AM

Product Name : Windows (BIOS OEM Key)
Product ID :
Product Key : 9VFGY-N43MK-6JK7X-4MJDJ-78MQ6
Installation Folder :
Service Pack :
Computer Name :
Modified Time :

2. If the OEM key should not work, am I right to assume that the other IE key will not work as well?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
My laptop originally came with the OEM Windows 8, which was later upgraded to 8.1 via the store.

1. Will this work for my OEM Windows 8 upgraded to 8.1 via the store?

2. If the OEM key should not work, am I right to assume that the other IE key will not work as well?
Wow, this is a pretty old thread now. I don't know if you can even still download a Windows 8.1 ISO file anymore. But you could try and see what happens. If you can download it, just make an image backup of your drive just in case. You're doing an in-place repair install, so it should keep all your data and settings, but backup first to be safe.
Have you considered just upgrading to Windows 10? That should solve all your DISM problems and you won't need any product key. I, for one, am very happy with Windows 10. It's the best of Windows 7 and 8.1 rolled into one OS.
Take a look at this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/download-windows-10-iso-file-131510252.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230