Continuous Beeping and Laggy Mouse

Nice find I am going to keep searching for a fix, just out of curiosity what chip and motherboard do you have? I have an off the way theory right now that it might have something to do with the chipset. Since it effects both video and usb I am thinking that maybe some error happening in the chipset that effects both USB killing the mouse and makes the screen flash by interrupting the PCI-E communication from the video card. I started thinking about this when I realized that every single person having this issue has a stand along video card of some sort but they are all different cards. Going to see if playing around with chip set drivers helps this issue at all.

Hi kingofthesofas,

I just have an old NVidia card 9800 gt with resolution set at 1920X1080.

Here's a link you may be interested in by the way;

Windows 10 Build 10041: dwm.exe, dwmredir.dll, and mouse not - Microsoft Community

Just something I came across today.

EG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Kingofthesofa,

Sorry for the late reply. I ended up downgrading to windows 10 build 9926 for the fourth time, lol. First went back to an image I had of 8.1 then upgraded. I got tired of the problems on that build, especially the one spoken of here.

To answer your question I have a 6 year old Gateway with an Intel motherboard I think its a 4 series, pretty old but it works.

Speaking of works thus far I have no lagging mouse problems nor beeping just yet. I did not before I went to build 10041 so I don't expect anything now. If I do I will let you know.

Go figure...and I'll check in to see how you made out with your chipset theory!

Thanks for posting!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Uh Oh

Microsoft just released the buggy (to me) 10041 build of Windows 10 on the slow ring. I hope I'm lucky and they fixed the issues I was having, but I have my doubts!

Here we go again..sigh..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have a PC in my environment that has the same issue. The user runs SQL server off the box and Visual Studio. He will have several workbooks open at a time in excel and as many as 50+ web pages.

-Windows 8.1
-Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH LGA 1150
-i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 cores)
-32GB RAM
-AMD Radeon HD7800
-4 x 1440p Dell 27” monitors
-Logitech K360 Wireless KM combo

He gets this exact issue

-A beep on the down click and a beep on the release

-A beep for each 'section' of his scroll wheel (if that makes sense)

-Continuous beeping as he moves at a rate of about 3/sec

The sound comes from his speaker system. Not his not his motherboard or any other onboard speaker. Keyboard input is fine. If I turn on Caret browsing to use the num keys as mouse, when the pointer moves, it beeps just the same.

I tried a different mouse and both on all ports, I tried disabling and reenabling the drivers, the mouse input, and updating all the same.

Rebooting works but this is not optimal as there are often very important files that need saved.

The common denominator he reports is that it happens when he returns to the computer after logging into it remotely via RDP and only after he has logged in remotely. It does not occur though, until he is using it itself (meaning to say that it has never occurred while he was connected remotely.

I have tried terminating and restarting all RDP services that are clearly related to RDP in description or name. I also tried whatever that sticky keys link is and I am at a loss hopefully this provides enough info for someone to come up with something.

........I am a Sr Windows Systems Administrator by day.....I work in IT.........

The one savior I have is mouse without borders from another machine allows me to use the mouse from the other computer just fine when mine is not working.

Now, I am willing to bet sysadmin to sysadmin, that you have logged into that machine remotely at least once if not often via RDP? If not, you are using an application developed by Microsoft to remotely control PC's (while I was not able to find what protocol it uses and I didn't search long, I would imagine it makes use of Microsoft's own proprietary protocols ala RDP?).

I feel like we're close to identifying what causes it and why, I'm going to try to dig into the nitty gritty of Mw/oB and RDP to see if there is any relation and try to isolate on my guy's system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
An update on my chipset theory. I tried using the video cards in different ports, and making sure all my chipset drivers are up to date as well. I even installed a PCI USB card to plug the mouse into and the issue still keeps happening. I am going to try to install from scratch (previously I have only done a refresh and system restore) in a few days and see if it comes back. Obviously re-installing windows is not an ideal solution but I have tried pretty much everything I can think of.

Putting on my tinfoil hat for a moment.
Seeing as how this issue seems to transcend platforms and operating systems and seemingly has no common thread for users effected by it I am not ruling out this being some sort of malware or virus that is causing this issue. It would have to be something not being flagged as such so either it would be state sponsored or highly engineered. I am going to do some deep packet inspection and some other snooping around before I re-install windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Seeing as how this issue seems to transcend platforms and operating systems

Again I throw the possibility of Remote Desktop services out there. It may be a long shot, but the only thing common across me (RDP), the gamers (xsplit), and you (Mw/oB and possibly RDP) are programs that require full screen streaming of the Desktop Window Environment and the user session. In my case, if I switch users, there is no issue at all and I have not been able to reproduce it under my user or the local administrator. When you have this issue next, try Win+L and use the keyboard to change the user (if you have another) and see if the issue persists for you. This would rule out your malware theory by limiting it to a process in the user session that affects the way drivers interact.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

Again I throw the possibility of Remote Desktop services out there. It may be a long shot, but the only thing common across me (RDP), the gamers (xsplit), and you (Mw/oB and possibly RDP) are programs that require full screen streaming of the Desktop Window Environment and the user session. In my case, if I switch users, there is no issue at all and I have not been able to reproduce it under my user or the local administrator. When you have this issue next, try Win+L and use the keyboard to change the user (if you have another) and see if the issue persists for you. This would rule out your malware theory by limiting it to a process in the user session that affects the way drivers interact.

I did not see the possibility of that common thread but you make a compelling argument. I have not actually tried to make a separate user since I am the only user of that system but I am going to try to make another user and nuke my old profile tonight and see what happens with that. If it can be resolved by nuking the local profile then that would be an acceptable solution.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Also just a note that I do not RDP to this machine as I do not allow RDP from the internet to it. I have a jump box I can RDP to remotely sits in a little DMZ with a HW firewall between it and the rest of my home network (yes I am a little paranoid). Mouse with out borders could be to blame but it was one of the first apps I un-installed and it still had the issue without it regularly. I re-installed it later because it provided a good work around to use the machine while the problem is happening. That all being said a user profile issue is something I have not explored yet but I will give that a go shortly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
also any of the other people with this issue want to chime in if they have used RDP or any other sort of application that might use RDP or a similar protocol on their machines?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
okay update I killed the user I had and made a new one. So far so good, I am going to see if I have the problem come back with this new user.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

Ok update. I got my new user set up and un-installed MWB just to be safe. I can confirm that if I log out and log back on that the problem goes away temporarily. I can also confirm I still have the issue with the new clean user. Some thoughts about this, clearly it is not a user setting since my new clean user has the issue but killing the users session resolves it so it has to do with the user session in some way. I am very curious what process is causing the issue since I have previously tried killing or restarting every process I can find via taskmanager when the issue is happening.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
also any of the other people with this issue want to chime in if they have used RDP or any other sort of application that might use RDP or a similar protocol on their machines?

I registered an account just to chime in and say that this happened to me for the first time today. Earlier today I RDP'ed in from work to check on something on my computer, and when I got home and logged in and was welcomed to a jittery mouse that beeped on every move and was silver colored instead of the normal white.

Rebooting the computer fixed it. This isn't the first time I've RDP'ed into my machine but its the first time this ever happened. I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping
    Motherboard
    Asus P5E Deluxe - Intel X48 Bearlake Chipset
    Memory
    8GB DDR2-800 PC2-6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x EVGA nVidia GeForce GT 630
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox
    Antivirus
    Ha!

I registered an account just to chime in and say that this happened to me for the first time today. Earlier today I RDP'ed in from work to check on something on my computer, and when I got home and logged in and was welcomed to a jittery mouse that beeped on every move and was silver colored instead of the normal white.

Rebooting the computer fixed it. This isn't the first time I've RDP'ed into my machine but its the first time this ever happened. I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

I am on that same build, no solution yet for me either. I am going to rebuild with a different image tonight and see if the new install is more stable.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
ok completely new build from a new image, new user only basic applications installed (no mouse without borders). After a few days the problem has returned.... I am honestly at a complete loss now. Other than downgrading and running windows 7 or something I am not sure where else to go with this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

So, I have a burning question.

What is your machine build-out?

Motherboard, graphics, memory, processor, monitor resolution?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Sorry I posted this earlier but it got buried:

Windows 8.1
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA 1150
16 gb of ram
2 AMD 7950s in crossfire
Acer 28 in 4k monitor
Kingston 256 gb SSD
Razor deathadder mouse

I am currently getting a PCI-E usb 3.0 controller and a better heatsync for one of my video cards as it was having some heating issues. Not sure if either will have an effect but at this point since a total fresh install of windows did not work I am working on the theory it is hardware related in some way.

So, I have a burning question.

What is your machine build-out?

Motherboard, graphics, memory, processor, monitor resolution?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Same exact problem. I've been running windows 8 since release (2012) and this only started happening a few months ago. I remote desktop in to my home pc a lot, and it's usually when I get home for the day that the computer is acting this way as described in the original post. The only hardware change in the last 6 months was a new GTX 970 video card. I dont think the problem happened right after that, but it is definitely the only major change recently. I did a fresh OS install and the problem still comes back. I was able to navigate the task manager and kill every user process but only rebooting the system clears it up. Glad I'm not alone on this , anyone have any ideas of the cause yet?

Here are my specs:
MSI 970A-G43 MOBO
AMD FX 8320 CPU
12 GB DDR3 1333 ram
EVGA GTX 970 4GB
Corsair 650W Psu
Corsair h80 liquid cooler
1 x samsung 840 Evo 250 GB
1 x wd green 1 TB
4 x samsung 2 TB
Logitch G15 keyboard
Razer DeathAdder 2013

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    MSI
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 970
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    None

That's the exact same scenario I'm having with my machine. . I RDP daily to my home pc. It seems to be about once every 10-12 days that this happens. It's not consistent.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    MSI
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 970
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    None
Dang yeah your issue sound exactly like mine it just started happening out of nowhere a few months ago. I have a Logitch G105 key board and my deathadder mouse is from 2013 so maybe there is a connection there. I added my keyboard around the same time as the issue started showing up. I have however tried different mouse and keyboard combos without any effect on the issue. When did you get your keyboard?

Same exact problem. I've been running windows 8 since release (2012) and this only started happening a few months ago. I remote desktop in to my home pc a lot, and it's usually when I get home for the day that the computer is acting this way as described in the original post. The only hardware change in the last 6 months was a new GTX 970 video card. I dont think the problem happened right after that, but it is definitely the only major change recently. I did a fresh OS install and the problem still comes back. I was able to navigate the task manager and kill every user process but only rebooting the system clears it up. Glad I'm not alone on this , anyone have any ideas of the cause yet?

Here are my specs:
MSI 970A-G43 MOBO
AMD FX 8320 CPU
12 GB DDR3 1333 ram
EVGA GTX 970 4GB
Corsair 650W Psu
Corsair h80 liquid cooler
1 x samsung 840 Evo 250 GB
1 x wd green 1 TB
4 x samsung 2 TB
Logitch G15 keyboard
Razer DeathAdder 2013

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I, as well, registered an account just for this issue and to chime in with what information i might be able to provide so someone more adept at this then me might figure out the problem. I get the beeps, the laggy mouse, the unable to click, but functional keyboard, shutting down processes doesnt fix the issue - just as the rest in this thread.

I never RDP'ed to this computer, i do however game and use fullscreen windowed mode, i also use open broadcaster software when i stream.
One of the reasons i signed up is because of what kingofthesofas wrote about downgrading to windows 7, don't count on that to fix your problems - i'm running windows 7 home and still get this issue. It started very recently, last two weeks and happens infrequently, but as you all know is incredibly annoying when it actually does happen.

System specs
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 build 7601
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 kärnor, 4 logiska processorer
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
8 GB ram
Func KB-460
Razer Naga Hex

Don't know what else to include, but i hope i have provided some additional data that can help you sysadmins to figure this out for us.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
Back