Chromebooks vs Windows

Granted, a Chromebook isn't a full-scale Windows or OS X-based machine -- far from it -- but given just how often our work is shifting to the web, Chrome OS is becoming dangerously close to "good enough" for most. Chalk it up to serendipity if you must, but Chrome OS is becoming more and more relevant with each passing day, as we're dealt far fewer offline-only apps and far more cloud-reliant ones.

You've heard it before, and you'll hear it again: Chrome OS isn't "a real operating system." There's no question that it's different; it's the first major OS to launch without the ability to install local, desktop-based applications. Particularly for businesses, this could be a major deal-breaker. To solve that issue, Google has partnered with Citrix to create a new build of Citrix Receiver, a piece of software that should leave its existing beta trials and hit the public universe this summer.

We saw a brief demo of the software used on a CR-48, and while the setup was obviously optimized, it worked shockingly well. A backend Windows server had a copy of Photoshop CS5 onboard, and the CR-48 was able to load it within a matter of seconds through Receiver. Not a light model -- we're talking about the full, bona fide version of Photoshop.

Editorial: Google clarifies Chromebook subscriptions, might have just changed the industry

The competition is really heating up across the board. In other discussions about Microsoft limiting the ability to install other OSes, it could further provide impetus for some to consider other choices.

In Australia, schools/universities are handing out iPads to their students 'to enhance the educational experience', some even make it mandatory; however, most students admit to using the iPad for facebook, youtube etc, it forms no part of a demonstrable education tool. Yet schools keep on this path.
I think it's so stupid for so many reasons. First off, ios isn't manageable through Group Policy or through the Windows Azure service like Windows RT or Windows Phone can be, so what ends up happening are time wasting things being allowed on said devices. Second, they're BLOODY expensive! 500 dollars and can't be used to properly make a Word document! If the money was there, third party addons and certain printers would need to be used to get around that hindrance. Third, the serious potential of wireless network congestion of all these devices trying to share and send and receive all sorts of files through the Cloud because there isn't a simple USB port to easily transport a file to some other device, or it would be cumbersome to have 20 some ipads needing to be connected to a PC running iTunes to grab a file or two off it, if considering a Word document or an equivalent can be saved and copied off of it. That's considering IF the school is fully wirelessly networked, not all of them are. So added IT costs of doing wireless network retrofits in older buildings that were networked with the Ethernet are piled onto that.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of that would the reason to use an ipad is just for ebooks, as manipulating an ebook with touch is better than use a touchpad or a mouse. There are benefits to using ebooks as content can be customized for the class and can be up to date quicker than a physical text. But for that short and long term price? It's not terribly fruitful, no pun intended.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I installed Chrome onto my Linux PC to have a look at what it's all about, having to sign up to a Google account meant that there was no way that I'd use it. In fact, the only Google tool that I use on my Windows devices is Google search, it still produces better search results than Bing.

But what I use and prefer doesn't represent the vast majority of people who are prepared to sign up to a Google account and allow Google to install all and sundry on their PC or whatever. If I were to use it, it would be an entirely standalone device that was completely isolated from anything else.

Naturally I signed up to a Microsoft account, but why I couldn't use an existing email account and had to create a Hotmail one is annoying, I have enough email accounts already. Especially since I have all of my licenced Microsoft software registered to a completely different email address, including the Windows 8 and WMC downloads.

But this thread has nothing to do with that; however, talking things off-track when one's beliefs are challenged appears to be a common tactic. Very common when it comes to forums, regardless of their nature. :D

You actually can use literally ANY email address for the Microsoft account. The last person I installed Windows 8 ended up needing to use the Mail app, so we had to make a Microsoft account with his Yahoo! email address. Worked quite fine.

I must have missed something in the installation process, as it wanted a Microsoft account created, which became a Hotmail account. It may have had something to do with the initial frustrating installation procedure, which didn't want to work for love or money.

Youre wrong Ray, I installed Windows 8 on my wife's computer, with a local account and a Bigpond email address. Later I added a Global account to easily Sync settings and Hotmail etc.

It has been shown in a lot of cases that these schools have no technical knowledge about why they're handing out iPads it's just a cool thing to do. Like the woman who lined up outside an Apple Store all night to buy 5 iPhone 5's because she thought they were $200 each. They've asked people why they buy an iPhone, is it because of the features, what are features.

It's a crazy mixed up world, I just hope some sanity prevails. I don't particularly want to see Android or IOS to disappear, I think they have their purposes, even the Cromebook, but I really think we need one OS, Windows 8 or a derivative there of to succeed to bring everything together.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
I'd rather just see ios leave..... :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
A chromebook in the educational setting I feel is the most detrimental experience for that child's education pertaining to technology.
In some respects it's not a bad idea at all. They are cheap, and mostly the files are not stored on the device. So, if the device is stolen or crashed, you don't lose your data.

In most jobs, needing to know how to use an Office product is a prerequisite that should be known.
But experience with any word processor and any spreadsheet will assist you. If you know how to use others, learning MS Office really wouldn't be that big of

google docs can't totally match what Office can do. google docs can't even match the Office Web Apps at its current stage.
The beauty of Google docs is simplicity, cross platform support, and ability to collaborate. Nothing has to be installed. Why do you think that MS even created the free web apps?

A better option for the educational space is to use Windows RT tablets, if an OEM can make a cost effective tablet PC ideally in the 300 dollar range (which is honestly WAY possible considering there are legitimate 300 dollar x86 based laptops with 17 inch screens). This would be LOADS better since Office software is there to use, the latest and greatest, along with the new Windows that will be used in the enterprise space in 10 years, not prone to viruses or malware, and based off a SSD so no performance issues.
RT tablets are not suitable here. They don't run real Windows software. And even though you say it's possible to make one for $300, nobody is yet. I don't think RT has enough of a footprint to determine it's security and likelihood of viruses and malware.

I think it's so stupid for so many reasons. First off, ios isn't manageable through Group Policy or through the Windows Azure service like Windows RT or Windows Phone can be, so what ends up happening are time wasting things being allowed on said devices.
Well, let me tell you something. Enterprises are bending over backwards to support iOS devices...and it seems many don't care about their inability to manage them. 5 years ago I would have said no business in their right minds would have Mac's, iPhones, iPad's, or Androids as none could be managed. Well, my company has all of those things and they are only getting more and more popular.

There is a lot changing in the computer industry these days. Apple has always done a good job figuring out products of the future and introducing them before the people even knew they needed them.

Third, the serious potential of wireless network congestion of all these devices trying to share and send and receive all sorts of files through the Cloud because there isn't a simple USB port to easily transport a file to some other device
I don't really think this is a big issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
but I really think we need one OS, Windows 8 or a derivative there of to succeed to bring everything together.
I don't think that i have ever disagreed more with a statement made on this forum. We don't need 1 OS, we need interoperability between our devices. We need standards that are followed and agreed upon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
but I really think we need one OS, Windows 8 or a derivative there of to succeed to bring everything together.

I don't think that i have ever disagreed more with a statement made on this forum. We don't need 1 OS, we need interoperability between our devices. We need standards that are followed and agreed upon.

Indeed, it's not what drives something, but how it plays with others.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
A chromebook in the educational setting I feel is the most detrimental experience for that child's education pertaining to technology.
In some respects it's not a bad idea at all. They are cheap, and mostly the files are not stored on the device. So, if the device is stolen or crashed, you don't lose your data.

In most jobs, needing to know how to use an Office product is a prerequisite that should be known.
But experience with any word processor and any spreadsheet will assist you. If you know how to use others, learning MS Office really wouldn't be that big of

The beauty of Google docs is simplicity, cross platform support, and ability to collaborate. Nothing has to be installed. Why do you think that MS even created the free web apps?

RT tablets are not suitable here. They don't run real Windows software. And even though you say it's possible to make one for $300, nobody is yet. I don't think RT has enough of a footprint to determine it's security and likelihood of viruses and malware.

I think it's so stupid for so many reasons. First off, ios isn't manageable through Group Policy or through the Windows Azure service like Windows RT or Windows Phone can be, so what ends up happening are time wasting things being allowed on said devices.
Well, let me tell you something. Enterprises are bending over backwards to support iOS devices...and it seems many don't care about their inability to manage them. 5 years ago I would have said no business in their right minds would have Mac's, iPhones, iPad's, or Androids as none could be managed. Well, my company has all of those things and they are only getting more and more popular.

There is a lot changing in the computer industry these days. Apple has always done a good job figuring out products of the future and introducing them before the people even knew they needed them.

Third, the serious potential of wireless network congestion of all these devices trying to share and send and receive all sorts of files through the Cloud because there isn't a simple USB port to easily transport a file to some other device
I don't really think this is a big issue.

I've known Office my whole life and used it my whole life. I was asked by someone a while ago how to fix a format issue in OpenOffice, I was TOTALLY and COMPLETELY lost to the point where I needed a GPS. Yes, a very basic grasp of the inputting data is one thing, but actually interacting the with program itself becomes a whole different issue. I know how to do a Word document or a spreadsheet, but my knowledge of Office doesn't translate into a working knowledge of OpenOffice, and the same goes the other way around.

Yeah, Microsoft made the Web Apps because of google docs, but what they offer is right now a lot better than google docs. That's the beauty of the Office Apps, it's free, cross platform, can be used in the cloud and locally on the PC, and able to collaborate easily, even with the locally installed software as well. It has a proper amount of simple and slightly advanced function that google docs, from what I've seen, can't do. Not everyone is simple.

It's strange that the enterprise is bending over backwards to support ios, I feel it's mostly because if a network and usage scenario can be set up where the vast majority of people that are using an ios device at home can then take that device with them to work, it's less hassle for an IT staff to deal with, which means lower costs in the long term. It's popular because that means the workers can do whatever they want on the device they use and like without being restricted by an anally uptight IT department. But then that leads to the issue of data security with sensitive information, which right now seems like android and Windows Phone seem more ideal than ios in that respect. As I see it, the iphone is the reverse of the Blackberry: a consumer device can't work properly in the enterprise space and an enterprise device can't succeed in the consumer space.

Now, about Windows RT, you can't run traditional Windows software on it, of course. But you obviously can't with a chromebook, which makes it even more of an issue. Windows RT offers Office Home and Student, not a stripped down text editor and formatter online. And again, this goes back to not knowing HOW to use Office. The enterprise doesn't adjust rapidly to new software standards, unsurprisingly. Going from Office to google docs or whatever isn't going to happen for a good lengthy time. Yes, in the future, probably more companies and corporations might use something else other than Office, but it will probably be a majority using Office. This will depend on things like cloud technology and incorporation of it into the software, and licensing fees. For example, Office 365 is what Microsoft is pushing as it's the actual Office software, but on subscription basis. A few government agencies and I think a few companies have switched to using Office 365 and will be rolling it out later this year as they've found, like in the city of Chicago for example, a savings of I think 14 million dollars in the short term just for using Office 365.

Anyways, I'd rather rollout Windows RT in the educational setting as one, it has a good Office suite that isn't present with google docs. Two, it's the new Windows that will be adopted for sure in the future and is the new interaction method with touch computing on the PC. There is a difference between using a PC with a touch screen and using a smartphone based tablet with touch. Three, potential low cost devices that need to be there for this to work, why this hasn't happened baffles me as some OEMs have made low cost android tablets and low cost laptops but yet can't figure out how to make a low cost Windows RT tablet. There is also the fact that local storage can be used versus purely cloud based. Just this past Friday I think, Outlook.com was down for maintenance. What if the google cloud was down for maintenance? What was once safely secured data that won't get lost now becomes data that can't even be retrieved due to no fault on that student. Which then ties back to a point I was going to make earlier, what if your data was saved on the cloud and it was down and a presentation or essay had to turned into a certain time? You can't use the excuse that the cloud was offline and that's that, that is YOUR personal responsibility to make sure your important data is backed up and saved on something else other than just one basket per se.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Well that's NEVER going to happen as far as I can see and seeing as how Microsoft already owns 92% of the PC world, it makes sense to me at least, that to keep some kind of compatibility and interoperability between devices MS has to be the one to come out on top.

Also based on that and cost factors again MS. I read a story where a school bought several thousand iPads and I think Apple gave them something like $20 off the retail price. I really don't think anything else is ready at this time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I've known Office my whole life and used it my whole life. I was asked by someone a while ago how to fix a format issue in OpenOffice, I was TOTALLY and COMPLETELY lost to the point where I needed a GPS. Yes, a very basic grasp of the inputting data is one thing, but actually interacting the with program itself becomes a whole different issue. I know how to do a Word document or a spreadsheet, but my knowledge of Office doesn't translate into a working knowledge of OpenOffice, and the same goes the other way around.
Maybe it's an advantage then to spend some time in the alternative products. I just think that with the basics, and a short amount of time people will figure out the alternative products.

It's strange that the enterprise is bending over backwards to support ios, I feel it's mostly because if a network and usage scenario can be set up where the vast majority of people that are using an ios device at home can then take that device with them to work, it's less hassle for an IT staff to deal with, which means lower costs in the long term. It's popular because that means the workers can do whatever they want on the device they use and like without being restricted by an anally uptight IT department. But then that leads to the issue of data security with sensitive information, which right now seems like android and Windows Phone seem more ideal than ios in that respect. As I see it, the iphone is the reverse of the Blackberry: a consumer device can't work properly in the enterprise space and an enterprise device can't succeed in the consumer space.
You don't have to tell me how strange this is. I've been working in IT since 1997 and I'm amazed how we went from having to use Blackberrys because we can control them and not letting a person bring in any device from home and connecting to the network....to a world where we allow people to bring in their own devices instead of using corporate provided equipment.

Now, about Windows RT, you can't run traditional Windows software on it, of course. But you obviously can't with a chromebook, which makes it even more of an issue.
Right, but the RT device is a tablet, without a keyboard and 2x as expensive.

For example, Office 365 is what Microsoft is pushing as it's the actual Office software, but on subscription basis. A few government agencies and I think a few companies have switched to using Office 365 and will be rolling it out later this year as they've found, like in the city of Chicago for example, a savings of I think 14 million dollars in the short term just for using Office 365.
Yeah because historically MS office has been outrageously expensive. Look at the number of people who pirate MS office, it's a lot...because it's expensive. That's why I have experience using other software options because I don't pirate and I spend the money. Well, having 3+ computers at home means Office gets expensive. So, I use Google Docs, or Office Web Apps instead (I prefer to save hard drive space not having copies locally installed anymore).

The Office365 concept is interesting. I've actually been considering trying it out for a year. For $100 for up to 5 PC's, it's not a bad deal. But I do have Office 2010 on my work laptop and I bring that home from work daily, so if I actually need office I can just do it there. So I will likely just skip Office 365.

Anyways, I'd rather rollout Windows RT in the educational setting as one, it has a good Office suite that isn't present with google docs. What if the google cloud was down for maintenance? What was once safely secured data that won't get lost now becomes data that can't even be retrieved due to no fault on that student. Which then ties back to a point I was going to make earlier, what if your data was saved on the cloud and it was down and a presentation or essay had to turned into a certain time? You can't use the excuse that the cloud was offline and that's that, that is YOUR personal responsibility to make sure your important data is backed up and saved on something else other than just one basket per se.

Personally, I think RT is a dead product and it's not going to be around much longer.

I think the likelihood of a student losing a file due to a cloud outage is less then the risk that they will lose the file themselves by getting a virus, malware, losing the laptop, etc. And like anything else, you gotta back up your stuff. I don't just keep 1 copy of my files at home, I make backups. The same should go for cloud storage, especially if you are a student, in school. Nothing is more important that your papers. You can easily backup any files that you store in the cloud to your local computer, a USB key, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Well that's NEVER going to happen as far as I can see and seeing as how Microsoft already owns 92% of the PC world, it makes sense to me at least, that to keep some kind of compatibility and interoperability between devices MS has to be the one to come out on top.
But when you have 1 and only 1 company running the show, as consumers you don't get much choice and you are held over a barrel. I want iOS, and Chrome, and Linux to survive and thrive, because it's the only way that we get MS products to improve as well. That's why I disagreed in principal on that statement because if we only had 1 OS...I fear that we would lose a lot.

Imagine where we would be right now if Apple had not released the iPhone. The entire world had to scramble because their device at the time was "revolutionary". We might still have flip phones and Blackberry's.

And probably the most overlooked Apple product....the iTunes store. It's not the iPod that is the real winner, or the iPhone or the Ipad...it's the iTunes store ecosystem. So successful, that Microsoft has become intent on trying to mimic it with the Microsoft Store.

We need innovation and competition. We need products like iPad's, and Chromebooks and Firefox , and Google Docs, Open Office and AMD to succeed and not hold just a tiny fraction of the market but be a formidable contender that you really have to fear and combat against. This is the only way Windows will continue to evolve and grow.

Nobody truly knows what the future is going to hold, but I would be a lot more comfortable if Microsoft wasn't the 92%-100% visionary holders in that stake, but rather other companies were also competing and setting directions which might be different than the ideas coming out of Redmond, WA.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
But when you have 1 and only 1 company running the show, as consumers you don't get much choice and you are held over a barrel. I want iOS, and Chrome, and Linux to survive and thrive, because it's the only way that we get MS products to improve as well. That's why I disagreed in principal on that statement because if we only had 1 OS...I fear that we would lose a lot.

Imagine where we would be right now if Apple had not released the iPhone. The entire world had to scramble because their device at the time was "revolutionary". We might still have flip phones and Blackberry's.

And probably the most overlooked Apple product....the iTunes store. It's not the iPod that is the real winner, or the iPhone or the Ipad...it's the iTunes store ecosystem. So successful, that Microsoft has become intent on trying to mimic it with the Microsoft Store.

We need innovation and competition. We need products like iPad's, and Chromebooks and Firefox , and Google Docs, Open Office and AMD to succeed and not hold just a tiny fraction of the market but be a formidable contender that you really have to fear and combat against. This is the only way Windows will continue to evolve and grow.

Nobody truly knows what the future is going to hold, but I would be a lot more comfortable if Microsoft wasn't the 92%-100% visionary holders in that stake, but rather other companies were also competing and setting directions which might be different than the ideas coming out of Redmond, WA.

That's why I said I don't want IOS and Android or Cromebook to die, we need innovation and competition. But at the same time we really do need some kind of familiarity between devices, the world is becoming too fragmented.

With Microsoft we already have a familiar system in place that can do everything all that needs to be done is getting it to work properly across all devices.

I still see a need for less powerfull devices as well and that's where Chromebook, IOS, Android and Windows RT can come in. I'm all for choice, don't judge me by my name I have quite a collection of tablets and phones etc.

Actually the one thing that frightens me most in the tech world is Apple, an even more powerful Apple would spell disaster for much of the tech world as we know it, another company that is starting to worry me a bit is Samsung.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi there
While I don't like Blackberry's I LIKE FLIP PHONES - what's wrong with them - especially if I want a small phone for JUST MAKING / RECEIVING calls.

Choose the correct tool for the job. - Try and use a standard smartphone with a howling gale around you in the freezing cold where you've got quite thick gloves on -- a flip phone works great in these conditions. Touch is hopeless in very cold areas -- you still need old fashioned keys. Obviously you've never visited places like central Iceland or similar. !!!!

Actually the real problem with Blackberry's wasn't so much the technology but the "Life style" it represented. Every time I saw someone using a Blackberry it said to me --20 / 21st century "Wage Slave" being tethered to some management bod and expected to be on hand like a Slave in the time of Julius Caesar (years approx. 60 B.C). I really used to Pity those poor devils and to this day I don't even want to SEE a blackberry much less be SEEN using one. They have a real image problem.

Nothing wrong with competing OS'es -- I started using THIS one ( IBM MVS/370 on a main frame) -- but we've moved on.

Chromebook is fine for what it needs to do - but would you want to try and get a large CAD system or photoshop running on these.

Enc screenshot of MVS /370 emulating (via Hercules emulator) a huge old mainframe running on a small ACER V105 laptop including two master consoles and a TSO terminal (top right) - and all in Black and white too-- although you can run it in 6 colours.!! -- even the i3 processor was much more powerful than the old mainframe which was watercooled and occupied a large Gym sized room. So good though the OS was and is still used a s a model of excellent OS design thank goodness we have other competitors -- monopoly in whatever market is no good - however good the product the "monopoly owner" makes.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• mvs.png
    mvs.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 144

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
My guess is that of the 800 members in my computer club, 700 do not do any 'applications'. They use email, skype and store a few pictures. Sometimes they look up something on the web. But their main use is to stay in touch with their children and grandchildren.

For those people, Chromebook is probably an excellent alternative. It is cheap, simple and does those kinds of jobs. I think it will become more popular. People just have to discover it.

What on earth do they need a Chromebook for they can use an $80 Android tablet.

Well, for me...nearly instant boot. Full keyboard, USB 3 ports, HDMI output, very thin, 11.3 screen, memory card support. I thought for 249 it was a decent product. Once I used it, it became my most used web surfing device at home.

My laptop is, for all practical purposes, "instant boot" when it's in sleep mode. That's really what any of the devices are doing, iPad, iPhone and I suspect Chromebook ... they're not cold booting instantly, they're coming back from a sleep mode.

When I close the lid of my 17R it goes immediately into sleep mode. Next morning I open the lid and I'm at login screen in about a second. How much more "instant" would anybody want, eh?

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Oh, so now your here to save Microsoft, eh? Please get down from that cross, for we need the wood. :p

MS's failings according to whom? You, Ray? "The user interface is crap as far as desktops and, to a lesser, degree tablets is concerned"? The UI according to your dislike, right? Weren't you the one that stated "It's fine for a tablet or phone", but now to a lesser degree a tablet? Isn't that backing out of your past statements to justify the ends to your own means here?

No fear here whatsoever, Ray. In fact quite the opposite, for we are supporting MS with their ingenious creation of 8 and what they are trying to accomplish along with the Surfaces and Windows Phone 8, the trifecta of devices so as to become familiar no matter what device is used and all sync with personal data. No "glaring(ly) obvious problem" here at all, for forum polls show that a larger percentage of members have upgraded and more join over from 7F to do so. Percentages prove the point.

"Many a time they'll come back later and admit that I was correct"?! I'll leave that statement alone, for I think it speaks for itself.

Talk about melodrama! Nothing worse than those who will not see. You must have some sort of filter on your browser that removes everyone else's comments/polls, that reflect/support what I've said. I've said it's fine for a phone and, for some tasks (ie lesser degree), for a tablet. For a tablet, it can be a right pain when using one as a desktop replacement, always having to go to a full screen menu to open another program. No inconsistency whatsoever in my argument.

I quite understand that the Microsoft acolytes are in full swing hugging each other and singing Kumbaya, whenever anyone dares to question their beliefs. However, upgrading to Windows 8 and subsequently installing a third party start menu and/or getting rid of the apps/start menu completely, as so many do, pretty much supports what I've been saying. That's in the percentages as well.

You keep my last statement in mind, which I'm sure that you will, as I'm now pretty much embedded in your head (and that seems to apply to a few others as well).:D

Oh oh ... FIGHT!

:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Hi there
I think the Brits have an excellent expression which just about says anything we need to on this thread.

"horses for Courses".

I can't remember who posted "We'd still be using fliphones" if we had no innovation -- well as far as fliphones go they are excellent in places where touch is totally impracticable and you really need to press a physical key - such as if you are in a cold freezing spot with a howling gale blowing and you are wearing thick gloves.

Also my elderly folks don't want or need these modern smart phones -- a basic phone with just simple key strokes on a physical keys and a LOUD ring is all they need or want. -- They are quite able to use the Internet etc on a computer if they want.

Chromebooks are just fine for the purpose intended -- and whether you like Android or not it has at least raised the whole bar of what smartphones should deliver. The early W7 phones were TERRIBLE. The W8 ones are EXCELLENT - but it needed competition whether from Google, "The Fruit company" or elsewhere.

If one doesn't like a device - don't use it -- unless it's utterly useless and the general consensus is that it's not fit for purpose why do a load of people try and rubbish perfectly good capable devices.

I would have had a chromebook myself but I already had other devices which could do that jobe easily so I didn't need one - but if the sort of things you need to do are what the chomebook delivers - then it's 250 USD very well spent.

As I said - the Brits have it correct "Horses for Courses".

anyway on this thread for me : 'Nuf said.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
My laptop is, for all practical purposes, "instant boot" when it's in sleep mode. That's really what any of the devices are doing, iPad, iPhone and I suspect Chromebook ... they're not cold booting instantly, they're coming back from a sleep mode.
My Chromebook from Off to On is about 7 seconds. Thats more or less an instant boot to me. Coming out of sleep is around 2-3 seconds on the Chromebook.

I'm just a fan of this chromebook. For $249 it is a solid device. It meets my internet needs dramatically better than a tablet. It's not touchscreen and I like that. And it has a full keyboard, so I can respond to these posts at 60+ WPM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
My Chromebook from Off to On is about 7 seconds. Thats more or less an instant boot to me. Coming out of sleep is around 2-3 seconds on the Chromebook.

I'm just a fan of this chromebook. For $249 it is a solid device. It meets my internet needs dramatically better than a tablet. It's not touchscreen and I like that. And it has a full keyboard, so I can respond to these posts at 60+ WPM.

Ho there
@pparks1 you have it nailed in one -- and I defy anybody using a Touch screen to succeed in typing at anything like 60+ WPM - especially using proper English (I.e not "Text-Ese").

249 USD is a great buy if this is what you need to do -- and from what I can see beats a tablet hands down for the purpose intended.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Yeah, I expected to not really like this Chromebook, but gave it a fair shake when it came in.

At home, I almost exclusively use Facebook, 7 and 8 forums, a few other forums, my gmail, amazon cloud player, and surf the web. For these purposes, this device works out great. I work with computers 40-60 hours a week at work, and when I come home, I don't really do much of substance on the computer any more these days.

I've heard the complaints..."oh well tell me how good that Chromebook works when your internet is out". Well, since I use it for gmail, facebook, forums, web surfing and such...none of those tasks work well at all when the Internet is down either. So, it's a moot point.

From what I gather, I'm the only person on this forum who has personal possession of a Chromebook. And it's what I am using for this post right here.

The other brilliant thing on the chromebook is because it stores nothing really, you can reset it back to factory in seconds and just log back in with your google account and everything is synced back. No need to back anything up. No real concerns if the device is lost or stolen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Oh, so now your here to save Microsoft, eh? Please get down from that cross, for we need the wood. :p

MS's failings according to whom? You, Ray? "The user interface is crap as far as desktops and, to a lesser, degree tablets is concerned"? The UI according to your dislike, right? Weren't you the one that stated "It's fine for a tablet or phone", but now to a lesser degree a tablet? Isn't that backing out of your past statements to justify the ends to your own means here?

No fear here whatsoever, Ray. In fact quite the opposite, for we are supporting MS with their ingenious creation of 8 and what they are trying to accomplish along with the Surfaces and Windows Phone 8, the trifecta of devices so as to become familiar no matter what device is used and all sync with personal data. No "glaring(ly) obvious problem" here at all, for forum polls show that a larger percentage of members have upgraded and more join over from 7F to do so. Percentages prove the point.

"Many a time they'll come back later and admit that I was correct"?! I'll leave that statement alone, for I think it speaks for itself.

Talk about melodrama! Nothing worse than those who will not see. You must have some sort of filter on your browser that removes everyone else's comments/polls, that reflect/support what I've said. I've said it's fine for a phone and, for some tasks (ie lesser degree), for a tablet. For a tablet, it can be a right pain when using one as a desktop replacement, always having to go to a full screen menu to open another program. No inconsistency whatsoever in my argument.

I quite understand that the Microsoft acolytes are in full swing hugging each other and singing Kumbaya, whenever anyone dares to question their beliefs. However, upgrading to Windows 8 and subsequently installing a third party start menu and/or getting rid of the apps/start menu completely, as so many do, pretty much supports what I've been saying. That's in the percentages as well.

You keep my last statement in mind, which I'm sure that you will, as I'm now pretty much embedded in your head (and that seems to apply to a few others as well).:D

Oh oh ... FIGHT!

:roflmao:

Lol! No, just a passionate "tech lovers" spat. :D It seems to me the older passionate members gather to certain threads to "have it out". I look forward to them. Opinions and beliefs vary. Individual personalities gleam. This is what freedom is all about to me. I learn a lot from this kind of stuff. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I too love these threads. It's just technology, I'm not really that bothered by anything we discuss.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Back