Chromebooks vs Windows

Granted, a Chromebook isn't a full-scale Windows or OS X-based machine -- far from it -- but given just how often our work is shifting to the web, Chrome OS is becoming dangerously close to "good enough" for most. Chalk it up to serendipity if you must, but Chrome OS is becoming more and more relevant with each passing day, as we're dealt far fewer offline-only apps and far more cloud-reliant ones.

You've heard it before, and you'll hear it again: Chrome OS isn't "a real operating system." There's no question that it's different; it's the first major OS to launch without the ability to install local, desktop-based applications. Particularly for businesses, this could be a major deal-breaker. To solve that issue, Google has partnered with Citrix to create a new build of Citrix Receiver, a piece of software that should leave its existing beta trials and hit the public universe this summer.

We saw a brief demo of the software used on a CR-48, and while the setup was obviously optimized, it worked shockingly well. A backend Windows server had a copy of Photoshop CS5 onboard, and the CR-48 was able to load it within a matter of seconds through Receiver. Not a light model -- we're talking about the full, bona fide version of Photoshop.

Editorial: Google clarifies Chromebook subscriptions, might have just changed the industry

The competition is really heating up across the board. In other discussions about Microsoft limiting the ability to install other OSes, it could further provide impetus for some to consider other choices.

My guess is that of the 800 members in my computer club, 700 do not do any 'applications'. They use email, skype and store a few pictures. Sometimes they look up something on the web. But their main use is to stay in touch with their children and grandchildren.

For those people, Chromebook is probably an excellent alternative. It is cheap, simple and does those kinds of jobs. I think it will become more popular. People just have to discover it.

What on earth do they need a Chromebook for they can use an $80 Android tablet.
I have an Android tablet and set one up that cost $59. I agree, you can do a lot with the tablet and if you have a bluetooth keyboard, even typing is easy. But here we are talking about people (mostly ladies) that are 70 to 80 years old. They would have trouble reading from a 7" screen. And besides, there are too many functions in Android. That would confuse them.

They need a 2 hour class to teach them how to crop a picture and forget such advanced apps like video editing or uploading videos to YouTube. A half a dozen icons or buttons is the most they can manage.

I was teaching so called 'advanced' classes at the club. That was to e.g. show them how to create a data partition or make an image. It was too much for most of them. Only a few hardliners could follow.

Take it easy on the poor old timers, God I'll be lucky to read a 24" screen when I reach that age. It's great to see them having a go, it must be a fulfilling task to help those oldies, I wish I had the patience. It's bad enough trying to teach my wife how to do banking and stuff like Quicken online. But funnily enough she seems to have grasped Windows 8 almost immediately.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Listen Ray you're too deep into Windows, you should join your friends and buy an iPad. When you get it pull out a USB thumb drive and put your 10mb photos and files on it. Do some work on your 10mb photos and then put them back on your USB. Then play some MKV files on your NAS or maybe put XBMC on it.

And Ray you don't have to be a tech head to enjoy Windows 8 it's the simplest OS Microsoft has ever bought out, if my wife can learn it in 5 minutes anybody can do it in two.(I hope she never reads this, but it's true).

What are you trying to say Bill? You should be on Android and Apple forums telling people to move over to Windows, no point blustering here to dedicated Windows users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
The point here is that it doesn't matter how good some product is or what it's shortfalls may be, things are changing rapidly in how people use computers. Windows 8 could be the Rolls Royce of OSes, but most people simply don't care. I was at a 50th birthday party last night and the number of my friends that had bought an iPad this year truly amazed me, which is why I can't see Windows RT providing anything special to the ecosystem. It might excite some tech heads, but for the average Joe it's a case of 'Meh?'

Listen Ray you're too deep into Windows, you should join your friends and buy an iPad. When you get it pull out a USB thumb drive and put your 10mb photos and files on it. Do some work on your 10mb photos and then put them back on your USB. Then play some MKV files on your NAS or maybe put XBMC on it.

And Ray you don't have to be a tech head to enjoy Windows 8 it's the simplest OS Microsoft has ever bought out, if my wife can learn it in 5 minutes anybody can do it in two.(I hope she never reads this, but it's true).

I disagree on simplest. I've had to do more end user training on 8 than the past few OSs. It's not impossible or very difficult, but I would not call it intuitive or simple.

I think the hardest part is trying to teach people that already know Windows backwards, teaching new people is easy, it's not much harder than the iPad. Im pretty sure it wouldn't take any longer to teach someone Windows 8 than to use an iPad properly, about 90% of people would have no idea how to multitask and reset and uninstall Apps on an iPad, let alone create a folder or move an icon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Nobody can learn any Windows in 5 minutes. I submit that it takes a lifetime - 60 million lines of code!!! Some are pretty good at it (e.g. Mark Russinovich), but few really know it all - if any.

Knowing how to click on a few tiles is NOT knowing the OS. Someone who 'knows' Windows 8 after 5 minutes I would at least propose as a MVP - if not a Microsoft Fellow.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

What are you trying to say Bill? You should be on Android and Apple forums telling people to move over to Windows, no point blustering here to dedicated Windows users.

If you're a dedicated Windows user why do you find it so important to find articles that would like to see the death of Microsoft.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Nobody can learn any Windows in 5 minutes. I submit that it takes a lifetime - 60 million lines of code!!! Some are pretty good at it (e.g. Mark Russinovich), but few really know it all - if any.

Knowing how to click on a few tiles is NOT knowing the OS.

Well you know what I mean, same as using an iPad, turning it on and off, finding your programmes getting around the screens, running your programmes and then turning it off, just your basic stuff.

But lets face it even getting into the Control panel and Device Manager is easier than before, just a mouse click away. A couple of hotspots and right mouse clicks, that's Windows 8.

Naturally if you're going to get really technical it's going to get harder, but then so is every OS on any platform.

My Computer

System One

• OS
What you really mean is operating an appliance called Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
If you're a dedicated Windows user why do you find it so important to find articles that would like to see the death of Microsoft.

Nothing of the sort, I'm trying to point out Microsoft's failings so that they don't become irrelevant. There is nothing worse than hubris, which Microsoft and some here are showing when it comes to Windows 8. As I keep saying, the underlying OS is very good, but the user interface is crap as far as desktops and, to a lesser, degree tablets is concerned.

Far too many times I've seen people dance to the latest corporate mantra, because they are too afraid to speak up when there's a glaringly obvious problem. When I see something that's clearly going/gone astray, I say something. A lot of people don't like that, especially superiors who think their latest idea is the best thing ever; too bad, they'll get an opposing view whether they like it or not. Many a time they'll come back later and admit that I was correct.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

Nothing of the sort, I'm trying to point out Microsoft's failings so that they don't become irrelevant. There is nothing worse than hubris, which Microsoft and some here are showing when it comes to Windows 8. As I keep saying, the underlying OS is very good, but the user interface is crap as far as desktops and, to a lesser, degree tablets is concerned.

Far too many times I've seen people dance to the latest corporate mantra, because they are too afraid to speak up when there's a glaringly obvious problem. When I see something that's clearly going/gone astray, I say something. A lot of people don't like that, especially superiors who think their latest idea is the best thing ever; too bad, they'll get an opposing view whether they like it or not. Many a time they'll come back later and admit that I was correct.

Oh, so now your here to save Microsoft, eh? Please get down from that cross, for we need the wood. :p

MS's failings according to whom? You, Ray? "The user interface is crap as far as desktops and, to a lesser, degree tablets is concerned"? The UI according to your dislike, right? Weren't you the one that stated "It's fine for a tablet or phone", but now to a lesser degree a tablet? Isn't that backing out of your past statements to justify the ends to your own means here?

No fear here whatsoever, Ray. In fact quite the opposite, for we are supporting MS with their ingenious creation of 8 and what they are trying to accomplish along with the Surfaces and Windows Phone 8, the trifecta of devices so as to become familiar no matter what device is used and all sync with personal data. No "glaring(ly) obvious problem" here at all, for forum polls show that a larger percentage of members have upgraded and more join over from 7F to do so. Percentages prove the point.

"Many a time they'll come back later and admit that I was correct"?! I'll leave that statement alone, for I think it speaks for itself.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Ew.

Honestly, I find that the hugest potential demographic here for the chromebook are the elderly, and people who LITERALLY don't need to use computing technology outside the internet. If you have an iphone, a chromebook would be a shoddy replacement for a Windows PC because you can't even transfer photos easily or even a song file without throwing them all in the air, into the Cloud, just to do a simple thing. Download a YouTube video/song? Nope. Torrent? Nope. Superior Office technology? Nope. An extensive videos collection? nope. A limited device like that can only succeed with people who have limited needs.

Even then, the IDEA/NOTION, that a chromebook is a viable option to install a different operating system, WOW! Just wow! Seriously, it's probably easier to install Linux on a Secure Boot enabled PC with Windows 8 than it is to install Windows 8 on a chromebook! It's like the same bloody process, you have to crack open the thing, tape a contact (depending on the model) and flash the BIOS and then try to get it installed. Unless if you're a tweaker tech head and want a laptop sized device for trivial needs past a browser on a budget, then MAYBE it's an alternative. MAYBE.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
That article was published in May 2011, almost 2 years ago. Has it taken off yet? Haven't read too much about it since then.
I think it's safe to say it has taken off...
Amazon's top selling laptop doesn't run Windows or Mac OS, it runs Linux | ZDNet

And here is another article.

Google Chromebooks now in 2,000 schools, usage doubled in three months

Uh huh, those are not sold, those are more than likely donated, freebies, or subsidized. Much like the Volt.
Would the same be said if they were WinRT Tablets? or would it be considered irrelevant and passed by and never posted about?
Makes one wonder....

Would this be the final line? I seriously doubt it.
"We're not sure exactly which flavor of Chromebook the students are getting their hands on, but we're sure no matter what they use, they'll grow up well-versed in what could be the future of computing."

So, using a ChromeBook one must, MUST create a Google Account and login with it.
Yet there are so many that complain about having to create a live account just to access the Windows Store.
Wow, do the double standards astound anyone but me?

If the Windows 8 was very similar to the ChromeBook, would the disdain be as prevalent, worse or not at all?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Oh, so now your here to save Microsoft, eh? Please get down from that cross, for we need the wood. :p

MS's failings according to whom? You, Ray? "The user interface is crap as far as desktops and, to a lesser, degree tablets is concerned"? The UI according to your dislike, right? Weren't you the one that stated "It's fine for a tablet or phone", but now to a lesser degree a tablet? Isn't that backing out of your past statements to justify the ends to your own means here?

No fear here whatsoever, Ray. In fact quite the opposite, for we are supporting MS with their ingenious creation of 8 and what they are trying to accomplish along with the Surfaces and Windows Phone 8, the trifecta of devices so as to become familiar no matter what device is used and all sync with personal data. No "glaring(ly) obvious problem" here at all, for forum polls show that a larger percentage of members have upgraded and more join over from 7F to do so. Percentages prove the point.

"Many a time they'll come back later and admit that I was correct"?! I'll leave that statement alone, for I think it speaks for itself.

Talk about melodrama! Nothing worse than those who will not see. You must have some sort of filter on your browser that removes everyone else's comments/polls, that reflect/support what I've said. I've said it's fine for a phone and, for some tasks (ie lesser degree), for a tablet. For a tablet, it can be a right pain when using one as a desktop replacement, always having to go to a full screen menu to open another program. No inconsistency whatsoever in my argument.

I quite understand that the Microsoft acolytes are in full swing hugging each other and singing Kumbaya, whenever anyone dares to question their beliefs. However, upgrading to Windows 8 and subsequently installing a third party start menu and/or getting rid of the apps/start menu completely, as so many do, pretty much supports what I've been saying. That's in the percentages as well.

You keep my last statement in mind, which I'm sure that you will, as I'm now pretty much embedded in your head (and that seems to apply to a few others as well).:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
I didn't care about the Google account for the chromebook because I already had one..for gmail, sync, and my android.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
So, using a ChromeBook one must, MUST create a Google Account and login with it.
Yet there are so many that complain about having to create a live account just to access the Windows Store.

I installed Chrome onto my Linux PC to have a look at what it's all about, having to sign up to a Google account meant that there was no way that I'd use it. In fact, the only Google tool that I use on my Windows devices is Google search, it still produces better search results than Bing.

But what I use and prefer doesn't represent the vast majority of people who are prepared to sign up to a Google account and allow Google to install all and sundry on their PC or whatever. If I were to use it, it would be an entirely standalone device that was completely isolated from anything else.

Naturally I signed up to a Microsoft account, but why I couldn't use an existing email account and had to create a Hotmail one is annoying, I have enough email accounts already. Especially since I have all of my licenced Microsoft software registered to a completely different email address, including the Windows 8 and WMC downloads.

But this thread has nothing to do with that; however, talking things off-track when one's beliefs are challenged appears to be a common tactic. Very common when it comes to forums, regardless of their nature. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS

I installed Chrome onto my Linux PC to have a look at what it's all about, having to sign up to a Google account meant that there was no way that I'd use it. In fact, the only Google tool that I use on my Windows devices is Google search, it still produces better search results than Bing.

But what I use and prefer doesn't represent the vast majority of people who are prepared to sign up to a Google account and allow Google to install all and sundry on their PC or whatever. If I were to use it, it would be an entirely standalone device that was completely isolated from anything else.

Naturally I signed up to a Microsoft account, but why I couldn't use an existing email account and had to create a Hotmail one is annoying, I have enough email accounts already. Especially since I have all of my licenced Microsoft software registered to a completely different email address, including the Windows 8 and WMC downloads.

But this thread has nothing to do with that; however, talking things off-track when one's beliefs are challenged appears to be a common tactic. Very common when it comes to forums, regardless of their nature. :D

You actually can use literally ANY email address for the Microsoft account. The last person I installed Windows 8 ended up needing to use the Mail app, so we had to make a Microsoft account with his Yahoo! email address. Worked quite fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

You actually can use literally ANY email address for the Microsoft account. The last person I installed Windows 8 ended up needing to use the Mail app, so we had to make a Microsoft account with his Yahoo! email address. Worked quite fine.

I must have missed something in the installation process, as it wanted a Microsoft account created, which became a Hotmail account. It may have had something to do with the initial frustrating installation procedure, which didn't want to work for love or money.

My Computer

System One

• OS
A chromebook in the educational setting I feel is the most detrimental experience for that child's education pertaining to technology. As for about the past couple of decades, Microsoft Office has been THE STANDARD bearer in the enterprise. You can't really go anywhere in a white collar job without having to use an Office app in any way, shape, or form. In most jobs, needing to know how to use an Office product is a prerequisite that should be known. As I see it, Microsoft Office won't be going away anywhere for some time, there really isn't another product out there that can be considered at least the silver standard or even gold standard when it comes to the platinum status of Office. OpenOffice, the various offshoots of that, iwork, or google docs can't totally match what Office can do. google docs can't even match the Office Web Apps at its current stage.

There's that, along with not knowing how to use Windows. Regardless of what happens in the consumer space, Windows is something that will continue to be used in the enterprise. Again, there isn't a viable alternative that can host such an array of software, device compatibility, and configurability like it; especially something that doesn't cost an arm and leg like the mac or needing an IT staff that is thoroughly fluent in a Linux system (like Ubuntu) or needing to train a company's workforce to use it when they've never used it in their lives.

A better option for the educational space is to use Windows RT tablets, if an OEM can make a cost effective tablet PC ideally in the 300 dollar range (which is honestly WAY possible considering there are legitimate 300 dollar x86 based laptops with 17 inch screens). This would be LOADS better since Office software is there to use, the latest and greatest, along with the new Windows that will be used in the enterprise space in 10 years, not prone to viruses or malware, and based off a SSD so no performance issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
In Australia, schools/universities are handing out iPads to their students 'to enhance the educational experience', some even make it mandatory; however, most students admit to using the iPad for facebook, youtube etc, it forms no part of a demonstrable education tool. Yet schools keep on this path.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back