Solved Can see screen while installing Windows 8

What if I connected it through the D-sub, wouldn't that be considered analog? I have it connected through the DVI-D port now, and tried to hook it up through the D-Sub already with the same result. I do have a question though, Windows 7 loads a generic driver for it when I load that OS up, then through Window's update later on, it shows the BenQ as an update. But all in all in loads fine, you would think Windows 8 would load a similar driver that works?? My mistake on the analog before. Thank you for your patience.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    SSD, 2 additional SATA111 drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
Jack? Trust me on this, you need to borrow a analog monitor that uses the serial port on your PC. ANY connection outside of a serial port is NOT analog. I know it sounds like a lot of work to get Windows 8 setup, BUT in the long run the hard part will be finished, and you'll have a smooth setup when you get the retail version of Windows 8. And you can't blame this one on Microsoft, it is BenQ's fault for not having the driver(s) ready for Windows 8 RP when it was released. WE'VE been going with late arrival drivers ALL the way back in Windows 8 DP (Developers Preview) testing stage. IMHO theses companies should of ALREADY had their drivers ready to go during the ALPHA stages of Windows 8. This SAME driver garbage happened during the beta testing of Windows XP as well. And you seen the final results with Windows XP, it was the most beloved Microsoft O/S since Windows 98SE. If these hardware manufactures got their collective heads out of the lower section of their anatomy we would be able to test the product(s) with greater vigor. We have so many ReadMe(s) created here, it seems we SHOULD be paid employees! Jack, if I was having this problem, I would be on the telephone with BenQ asking them WTF!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Couldn't I put the windows 7 drive on a usb for that monitor? Thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
Oh CRAP Jack, decided to do some research.. My friend you are SCREWED, BLUED, and TATTOOED! It is a KNOWN issue, just take a look here at all the folks with your card trying to install Windows 8. Installing Windows 8 RP and my ATI 6850 card goes black - Norton Safe Search I suggest to you to go to your local computer super store and buy a compatible video card for Windows 8.

LOUSY ATI

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
But I am not using the ati anymore, am using the nvidia 550 ti, and according to nvidia, they are beta drivers for windows 8?? Lost and really confused.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
Jack, it is time to throw out the baby out with the bath water! In other words were going from SCRATCH! I want you to completely format that unit. Were going to use the card you WANT too. To format, all you need is to start the PC in DOS mode. The command from the DOS prompt is Format C:/a (Note: the a switch in that command means (a)ll.) First things to do before the format, is to make sure you have Windows 8 on removable media (CD, or DVD), as well as the driver for your NVidia 550 ti video card. During the 2nd part of Setup it will be discovering the hardware devices on your PC, it will not find the NVidia 550 ti video card, so it will ask you where the driver is, and at the point you put in your USB dongle into the USB port on your computer, then find it using the hardware applet. Once you locate it on the USB dongle (device) click OK, so that Windows will look in the location and load the driver for your NVidia 550 ti video card. THERE at NO time should the screen black out on you, during Windows (any version) setup Windows uses it's own 16 color video driver. NOT till after Windows is on it's last restart will it use your NVidia 550 ti video card. Going this route I don't see any problem with you getting Windows 8 RP loaded and running. REMEMBER after the successful install of Windows 8 RP to run Windows Update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I can see you're not quite there yet, but getting close! I'm getting the choir ready for a couple of verses of Alleluia when you two are finished! Two weeks and counting. :p

You both get an A++ for being so persistent, especially you, Mike! I've been wondering why you haven't been posting much. I thought you got lost, but no, here you are! I subscribed to the thread to see the end results. Good luck. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Jack, it is time to throw out the baby out with the bath water! In other words were going from SCRATCH! I want you to completely format that unit. Were going to use the card you WANT too. To format, all you need is to start the PC in DOS mode. The command from the DOS prompt is Format C:/a (Note: the a switch in that command means (a)ll.) First things to do before the format, is to make sure you have Windows 8 on removable media (CD, or DVD), as well as the driver for your NVidia 550 ti video card. During the 2nd part of Setup it will be discovering the hardware devices on your PC, it will not find the NVidia 550 ti video card, so it will ask you where the driver is, and at the point you put in your USB dongle into the USB port on your computer, then find it using the hardware applet. Once you locate it on the USB dongle (device) click OK, so that Windows will look in the location and load the driver for your NVidia 550 ti video card. THERE at NO time should the screen black out on you, during Windows (any version) setup Windows uses it's own 16 color video driver. NOT till after Windows is on it's last restart will it use your NVidia 550 ti video card. Going this route I don't see any problem with you getting Windows 8 RP loaded and running. REMEMBER after the successful install of Windows 8 RP to run Windows Update.

Guess what, before I do anything I just discovered another problem, lol this is getting ridiculous! I may throw out more than the baby and water :) I just did a compatibility check with windows 8, and here is what it's telling me " Your PC's cpu isn't compatible with windows 8" This has got to be a mistake, I am running a I7 2700k processor, what the .........? Thanks for the patience, but I had to address this info first. :shock:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
I can see you're not quite there yet, but getting close! I'm getting the choir ready for a couple of verses of Alleluia when you two are finished! Two weeks and counting. :p

You both get an A++ for being so persistent, especially you, Mike! I've been wondering why you haven't been posting much. I thought you got lost, but no, here you are! I subscribed to the thread to see the end results. Good luck. :)

Thanks, this is getting juicy now, lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
LoL HippsieGypsie YOU know I NEVER give up.. Not gonna let a dangum x86 beat my cyborg brain.... Dang antiques <g>

:dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I know sooner or later you'll achieve it. Interesting to watch! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
What do you guys think about that cpu issue? Man I tell ya!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
I don't know what Mike will say. He's far more savvy than I. I don't see why 8 won't handle it, although I read some about 8 and core management trouble.

Hang on. I'm sure he'll answer soon.

In the mean time, I suggest you fill out more of your system specs in your profile so that all may see it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Okay, will do and thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
At this point, I think Jack should take it into a local shop. So that they can help him load Windows 8 RTM, 8 RP is not really in contention now. I have a NVidia GeForce card on this box, and have never had that happen. I check with various board and NVidia
concerning this occurrence, and they concur the system should be started from scratch, with the most up to date driver(s) for their card. Also I think when Jack first loaded Windows 8 RP, he should of had the driver available. Concerning the CPU I'm running Windows 8 (NOW with RTM) a Medion system with a 1.3GHz processor, and 2 GHz or RAM. That computer started life with the server pack less version of XP. Intel processor, and a NVidia GeForce XP 32 bit card. So I know the bare basics will work with Windows 8 RTM. Jack seriously you should go to a computer repair shop, that way you can do the work, and if any problems come up, it can be resolved quicker. A lot of community centers are out there as well, that will have techs onsite to help you out as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I did find the cpu issue, my bios needed updating, so now that doesn't come up, but yeah, I think if it doesn't work now, then I will do that. Maybe that was part of the problem from the beginning. Thanks for the time and patience!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
Jack? Trust me on this, you need to borrow a analog monitor that uses the serial port on your PC. ANY connection outside of a serial port is NOT analog.

This is not correct. VGA (via the D-sub connector) is analog RGB, not digital.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Home Brew
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Intel DZ77GA-70K
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance (4 X 4 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 5850 (ATI)
    Sound Card
    Bose System V
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Apple 23 inch HD Cinema
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1200
    Hard Drives
    Intel series 320 SSD (120 GB)
    2 X 1 TB Western Digital FAEX (Caviar Black series)
    PSU
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w series II
    Case
    Lian Li VP2120B
    Cooling
    Corsair H80
    Keyboard
    IBM Model "M"
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless trackpad
    Internet Speed
    Cable 10MB (hahahahahahaha)
The page you linked does not contain the word "serial." In any usage. The female connection you reference is commonly known as a VGA port (or D-sub port) as described in your link.

There is no such thing as a "serial/video port" in PC applications, much less a term in common usage.

By definition (and by definition I mean the published standards for PC devices that use the term "serial," i.e., RS-232/RS-422/RS-423/RS-485) all describe digital connections, not analog. So, I guess you're incorrect on two points.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Home Brew
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    Intel DZ77GA-70K
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance (4 X 4 GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 5850 (ATI)
    Sound Card
    Bose System V
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Apple 23 inch HD Cinema
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1200
    Hard Drives
    Intel series 320 SSD (120 GB)
    2 X 1 TB Western Digital FAEX (Caviar Black series)
    PSU
    PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750w series II
    Case
    Lian Li VP2120B
    Cooling
    Corsair H80
    Keyboard
    IBM Model "M"
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless trackpad
    Internet Speed
    Cable 10MB (hahahahahahaha)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling