Solved Can see screen while installing Windows 8

62 views and no help, piddle on it, I'll go where someone actually cares!

Umm.. Using Aggressive and Insulting words are against the Forum Rules . Just Reminding..

Thank You
Shon John Xander

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Triple Boot: Windows Xp, Windows 7 and Windows Release Preview, Virtual Machine ( Windows 8 )
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio Hardware
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Sony LED Monitor (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    500 GB Western HDD (3) 1 TB Buffalo HDD (2)
    Keyboard
    Samsung
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    52 Mbps

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    SSD, 2 additional SATA111 drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
OK Jack try this since YOU do have the Windows 8 GeForce driver, first create a folder on your desktop (Right click desktop, go down the list to "New Folder" left click that). Now name the folder, then go to WHERE the GeForce file is locate, copy it to your desktop, once it is copied right click and hold the mouse button, drag it to that Folder you JUST created, and release it onto that folder and choose "Extract Here" option, after that has completed verify the files are in that directory. Next go to "Device Manager" once there click on Display Adapters, the one you see in there right click on it, then left click on "Update Driver Software" "Browse my Computer for "Update Driver Software" left click that. Now go to the desktop folder click the folder icon to open it, then select the .sys file that Windows 8 is looking for, it will then put you back to the other screen, click OK to install the driver, once driver is installed, it will direct you to restart, do that and you should be good to go.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Triple Boot: Windows Xp, Windows 7 and Windows Release Preview, Virtual Machine ( Windows 8 )
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio Hardware
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Sony LED Monitor (2)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    500 GB Western HDD (3) 1 TB Buffalo HDD (2)
    Keyboard
    Samsung
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    52 Mbps
Thanks to you both, I was just so upset with this thing it was driving me nuts :D Thanks Lonewolf, will give that a try. One last thing Lonewolf, you do no that I can't see the screen in windows 8 right? That's the whole problem here. Windows 7 as you can see by me typing, works fine. It has to be a driver issue, just getting it in the right place without seeing anything on the screen is tough. Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
Right jack, that is why I said to go under safemode (16 colors) so that you can see what is on that screen. This has worked since the days of Windows 3.1. Also JUST to verify, have you checked to make sure that is an actual working monitor? I am assuming that you use like myself a switch box, and need only one monitor, keyboard, and mouse for all the computers you have in that location.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
So just to be clear, load windows 8 in safe mode until desktop and then update Nvidia driver? And yes the monitor is an lcd screen, and when the dark screen comes on, the green light on monitor stays green. So I know there is something going on, just can't see it. Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
Man! Still loads to a certain point and screen goes blank! I don't know what else to try. Windows 8 loads so far, and then the black screen. I don't get it. Also I tried to load the newest Nvidia driver, and it says it needs to be updated, it is THE updated one. I am running my drive as a SSD drive in AHCI mode, would that make a difference? If so I don't know why, as windows 7 has no problems.
Very confused!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
The reason why it says it needs to be updated because when in safemode it uses the Generic display driver no matter what. When you reboot it tries to load the nvidia driver. I've had this problem installing on my friends computer with an Nvidia GT430. I had to take out his video card and put in one of my old graphics card (a Geforce 6200) and then install the Nvidia Windows 8 Beta Drivers (You installed the Windows 8 beta drivers in safe mode right? Only the Windows 8 beta drivers work for now)

After that all was fine.

Also, you have your video card listed as an ATI 6850...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-2500k
    Motherboard
    ASRock z77 Extreme 4
    Memory
    Team Elite 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 & Nvidia GT 530
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC892
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar Black 750 GB SATA III 7200 RPM
    PSU
    Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W
    Case
    NZXT GAMMA Classic Series
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    Keyboard
    i-rocks RF-6570
    Mouse
    i-rocks RF-7550A
    Internet Speed
    17Mbps
I see that, that was as older card I had in before. It is now the Nvidia 550ti. When I had the ATI card, it did the same thing. I beginning to wonder if it has something to do with my settings on motherboard. And I installing this as a fresh install, and it won't load windows 8 in safe mode, tried it. Maybe I'm not understanding what people are telling me. Can someone give me a step by step for this, I would like to try out the new windows, and can't!
I have an old ATI 1650 video card, but it doesn't seem to work when I install it. I have the asrock fatality z68 board. Thanks for your patience with this, is driving me nuts. lol Thanks everyone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
Just a shot in the dark Jack.. Did you check to make sure your card is seated properly?

Yes, and even took it out and put back in again. Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
Follow up question Jack. BEFORE you did anything with the new video card, did you remember to go into Device Manager and remove the old ATI 1650 video card's driver(s)? First step is to remove the old video card's driver(s), then you remove the card itself. Then insert and seat the new NVidia 550ti. Boot the computer, it will boot in VGA (16 color) mode THIS is NOT safe mode. Now log into Windows ADMINISTRATOR'S account. Once FULLY loaded Windows will inform you that it had found a new device, and ask if you want to install drivers. (Also possible with the new Windows 8, it will inform you of above, and then it will search your computer for the driver). Let IT! NOW it will not find the driver(s) for the card, so it will put you into add new Hardware screen, and ask if you have a disk. I know you don't, but you either have it on that hard drive, a USB Thumb drive, or burned it onto a disk. NOW you choose Have Disk, then browse to WHERE the driver is at, click on it, then click OK! *BUT* do this before you install the new NVidia 550ti's driver, check if the monitor's driver is installed. Being a LCD/LED they HAVE to have their driver(s) installed! If all of that is right, it will load your new NVidia 550ti's driver(s) & NVidia 550ti's Control Panel for THAT particular card. This should be a pretty easy install.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
You would think it would be easy LoneWolf, but let me explain a few things that maybe I didn't say before. I am doing a CLEAN install, the ati card shouldn't be as issue, as I reformatted my SSD drive when asked to boot for cd/dvd, the nvidia card is in the motherboard, and even regular booting it will run until a certain spot and go blank. I used my usb drive to load the beta nvidia drivers, but it says it needs to be updated. I have tried repair, safe mode, regular mood, set to load drivers and it won't except them, I've put in on several times to be sure that nothing was corrupt, then I burned them on a cd to be sure and nothing. This is baffling, as I have never had troubles before, I even re-burned the install disc and downloaded windows agaom and that doesn't help. HELP!!!! And thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
OK Jack, last thing I can think of without the unit here for me to check. IF you have an analog monitor hook it up. If you don't have one, ask a friend that has one. I'm at the point believing it is your monitor, NOT the video card. Once you have it installed (If you can get a analog CRT type monitor) then install the card drivers, and install the drivers for you LCD/LED monitor. Shut down, disconnect the analog monitor, hook your LCD/LED monitor back up, and cross your fingers and switch the PC back on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I believe this flat screen IS a analog monitor, it's just flat screen lcd, already checked on a crt, I don't know of anyone that has one :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
Oye Vey Jack! You don't have a friend or relative that has one? What about a thrift shop nearby to you, can usually find one that works for under $25.00. I use one in my business, and picked up this 15" for $10.00 at Goodwill. I cannot think of another way to go, if you have a computer repair shop nearby, they might let you use one of theirs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Most of my friend all have laptops!! And believe me when I say, in this smaller town, no computer shops! But like I said isn't a lcd screen analog? it a BenQ monitor, and I don't believe it's digital, in fact I know it's not!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    CPU
    I7 2700K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Vatality
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 550T
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Flat screen LCD
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    1000 Watt
    Case
    AZZA
    Cooling
    Zalman
    Internet Speed
    20megs
An Analog monitor connects thru your serial port, your BenQ connects with either D-sub, or DVI-D that make it a digital connection. So it is NOT analog.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Back