Solved Brightness won't adjust after Windows 8.1 Update

When I change to the Basic display adapter, it works and my screen will become bright again. However, it seems to reset itself from time to time and I found myself having to do it nearly every day. Also, as someone mentioned about gaming, when the Basic Display Adapter driver is being used it won't work on push2tv hardware until I change the driver back to the most recent intel 4000 Graphics (10:18:10:3379, 12/18/13) card driver. So, because of these issues, I'm finding I have to find another solution. Any other suggestions per chance? I'd really appreciate any other thoughts.
I'm in the same boat. Ever since the Windows 8.1 update, my brightness gets set to and locked at the lowest setting. Changing to the Basic display adapter fixes the problem and restores the brightness, but I have to do it every time I turn on my computer. I'm sort of hoping to find a more permanent fix.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Follow this in order and you should see three choices. Try the different ones to see if any change.

Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters > Intel HD Graphics 4000 > Driver > Update Driver > Browse my computer > Let me pick...........you should see this:

View attachment 29713

WOOOOOOOOOO that works!!! I switched back to the first one and no problem whatsoever.

Big thanks Popeye!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w7
Pernamnent solution for brightness problem in windows 8

The above method works but if you restart your computer same problem again
HERE A SOLUTION FOR THIS ANNOYING PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL

GO TO CONTROL PANEL
<HARWARE AND SOUND
<POWER OPTIONS
<CHANGE BATTERY SETTINGS
< CHANG PLAN SETTINGS
< CHANGE ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS
ON THE LIST go to DISPLAY <ENABLE ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS TURN ALL OPTIONS OFF
there you go(you need to restart to get the results )
you can now adjust brightness as you like anytime
NOTE: NEED TO CHANGE EACH PLAN SETTINGS

if anybody doesn't understand please reply

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
I registered to thank Popeye for their amazing solution. I'd been struggling for a year to try to correct this issue. (I only just found this forum a couple hours ago.)

I used Popeye's solution several times and it didn't work, so I was starting to lose hope. Then I gave it another try and just kept trying the different drivers on that list until one of them worked!

Thank you so much!

I'm using a Lenovo IdeaPad S405 model 20196 running Windows 8.1 64-bit, my processor is AMD A6-4455M with Radeon(tm) HD graphics 2.10GHz, my graphics are AMD Radeon HD 7500G.

Placing my system information here just in case anyone else with the same machine has this problem and hasn't found their solution yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo 20196
    CPU
    AMD A6-4455M with Radeon(tm) HD graphics 2.10GHz
    Memory
    4.00 GB (3.44 GB usable)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7500G
    Browser
    Firefox
Sabari Bala's solution worked for me

Thanks Sabari Bala, your solution worked for me and was very easy to apply (I have an Acer 5750 with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 adapter, driver version 9.17.10.3347)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Something I figured out since my last comment:

If Popeye's fix works for you only temporarily, by which I mean your computer repeatedly reverts back to the problem (requiring you to re-implement Popeye's solution to fix the brightness), you can make it "permanent" by going to your Device Installation Settings and change the setting from "Yes, do this automatically (recommended)" to "No, let me choose what to do". Then make sure to click "Never install driver software from Windows Update."

Obviously this has the drawback of preventing you from automatically getting good updates, but personally this brightness problem is more annoying than any update benefits I've noticed, so I'm happy with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I have tried all your methods previously, and thanks to you folks, they've worked. But, when I upgraded my OS to windows 10, I was forced to update my Intel HD 4000 driver via windows settings app(WINDOWS UPDATE). So whenever I was forcefully made to update my intel driver, I faced the brightness issue. And coming to the bad part, I read that microsoft was not giving any options to stop the automatic updates. Sometime later when I was playing around with my BIOS settings, I enabled LOAD LEGACY OPTION in the boot tab. So, my OS i.e windows 10 booted in legacy mode and to my surprise the brightness issue was RESOLVED!:D:cool: I could change the brightness even with the latest driver that was installed via windows update!!:dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
Having problem with brightness adjustment after installing window 8.1 on my hp G350. I hv tryed everything bt still no result,plz help

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hi try this, goto "DEVICE MANAGER" on "MONITOR" make sure it is "Generic PnP Monitor" if not, Uninstall(cheek delete..) it. and click Scan for hardware change.

Love you so much MOSESKING,

i did all other solutions, but urs, fixed my prob.
in case ny one else faces such prob, here were the solutions:

1. updating intel/nvidia/amd graphic drivers from your own provider
2. update drivers from generic manufacturers
3. in vaio laptops, disable its power management
4. in asus/lenovo updates its firmware and special software related to monitor/graphic card/Fn keys.
5. try disable intel graphic --> reboot --> enable it again --> reboot
6. restoring windows to a previous settings
7. sometimes refresh/reset windows 8/8.1
8. uninstall any power management software and do a fresh install

Hope it helps all others, as it took me to download over 3GB data and solved prob only by following MOSESKING solution :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Vaio
    CPU
    i5 3230
    Memory
    8 GB