Solved Brightness won't adjust after Windows 8.1 Update

Follow this in order and you should see three choices. Try the different ones to see if any change.

Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters > Intel HD Graphics 4000 > Driver > Update Driver > Browse my computer > Let me pick...........you should see this:

View attachment 29713

This has happened to me too. I've followed all of these steps but it still wont work! Any suggestions?

AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo
    CPU
    ?
    Motherboard
    ?
    Memory
    ?
    Graphics Card(s)
    ?
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    AVG
Never mind I chose the wrong option :p Anyway thanks SO much popeye for telling us how to fix this.... it's been annoying me for a couple of days now and I'm glad I've fixed it with your help!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    ?
    Motherboard
    ?
    Memory
    ?
    Graphics Card(s)
    ?
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    AVG
Popeye's solution works, device manager, find display adapter, and properties, drivers, update drivers, locate drivers... Choose the 2nd on the list, usually the previously working one, select next, OK, it works! Now brightness slider bar on windows 8.1 issue is fixed!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
ok so the brightness slider works again but i cant play games nomore my cpu utilization become 100% with 2 fps (usually 30 ) when i play heroes and generals its a browser game so whats the solution

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    lenovo Z500 touch 20221
    CPU
    intel core i7 3612QM
    Motherboard
    31900004WIN8 STD SGL
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    nividia GeForce GT 740M , intel hd 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1366 768
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    win defender
    Other Info
    network adapter : intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230
Follow this in order and you should see three choices. Try the different ones to see if any change.

Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters > Intel HD Graphics 4000 > Driver > Update Driver > Browse my computer > Let me pick...........you should see this:
View attachment 29713
i dont see the second option i.e intel(R) hd graphics 4000 (microsoft corporation - wddm 1.2)
, Unt.jpg
my lap is hp-paviion dm4 pls help

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    hp paviliol-dm4
    CPU
    i5
select the microsoft basic display adapter

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    lenovo Z500 touch 20221
    CPU
    intel core i7 3612QM
    Motherboard
    31900004WIN8 STD SGL
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1366 768
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    win defender
    Other Info
choosing microsoft basic display doesn't solve the problem..

i changed high performance gpu to power saving gpu now its alright but when i switch back to highperformance gpu screen goes blank..hv to remove the battery and boot again..so i am staying with intel power saving gpu
sln.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    hp paviliol-dm4
    CPU
    i5
write "hp pavilion-dm4 drivers" on google . go to the official site and download the drivers

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    lenovo Z500 touch 20221
    CPU
    intel core i7 3612QM
    Motherboard
    31900004WIN8 STD SGL
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1366 768
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD
    Browser
    chrome
    Antivirus
    win defender
    Other Info
Glad to hear it!

Probably won't be optimum graphics especially playing games but hopefully you will eventually see an update available in Windows Update that actually works.

You can also search around the internet to see if somebody has found a good driver.

Did you try going back to the first one to see if it was just a glitch that fixed itself by switching between them?

Has Lenovo posted a new driver?
I switched back to the Intel driver and it's still locked, but it's locked at the brightest setting, so it's not a big deal. And no, Lenovo didn't post an updated driver yet. Thanks again!

Same problem, followed the same procedure (except mine was 3000 and not 4000 graphics version ... not sure what that means), and it worked. Thanks! No problem with adjusting screen brightness either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Issue not resolve

Good Day, I followed Popeye's steps but I was unable to resolve the issue. I tried the second driver down as well as the Microsoft standard with no luck. I am unable to adjust the brightness.

I am going to try a clean boot to see if there is something on that end stopping me from controlling the brightness.

Note that I can slide the brightness bar up and down but nothing happens....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Tablet
    x220
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD3000
    Browser
    IE11 / CHROME
    Antivirus
    McAfee
Hi, had this same problem as others for awhile now and I can add some details on popeye's suggestion. Samsung Series 5, Windows 8.1, 64bit.

When I change to the Basic display adapter, it works and my screen will become bright again. However, it seems to reset itself from time to time and I found myself having to do it nearly every day. Also, as someone mentioned about gaming, when the Basic Display Adapter driver is being used it won't work on push2tv hardware until I change the driver back to the most recent intel 4000 Graphics (10:18:10:3379, 12/18/13) card driver. So, because of these issues, I'm finding I have to find another solution. Any other suggestions per chance? I'd really appreciate any other thoughts.

Thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
It seems your only real fix will be Samsung providing an Intel driver that works. Still nothing on their site?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
It seems your only real fix will be Samsung providing an Intel driver that works. Still nothing on their site?

Thanks for the reply popeye. I don't think I fully understand how drivers work.....the drivers I have been updating are for my Intel Graphics 4000 card and I've been downloading them from the Intel site.

Does Samsung somehow have other drivers for the Intel card? Given all the other complaints on this, it doesn't seem like it is Samsung specific (but I'd love another reason to hate Samsung). This started immediately after moving to Windows 8.1. Am I missing something?

Any other suggestions out there?

One more piece of info....when it's dim, I move to the Basic Adapter and it makes it bright again. If I move it back to the most recent Intel driver mentioned above, it continues to work. After my computer is not used for awhile and I unsleep it, it's dim again and I have to go through the same process to fix it, every day.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Also, Popeye, I see you removed the link in your post that downloaded the driver.detective.exe to my computer. Was I not supposed to download that?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hi people,
I had the "way too bright" and "no slider" issue with my new AIO desktop PC and thought I would let you know that I found an answer in <Control Panel> <Intel HD Graphics>. When the Intel Graphics Control Panel opens click on <color> on the top right of the page and a menu opens which shows a brightness slider (as well as contrast and gamma). Hope this helps some of you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Packard Bell All-in-one M3870
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-3240
    Motherboard
    Unknown
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000 + NVidia GeForceGT620
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    21.5 inch built in monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender + Malwarebytes
Hello. I had this problem for the past 2 hours. I Googled extensively, did some trial and error, and I found a solution

I'm using Acer Aspire P3-171, Windows 8.1 64-bit. The problem was in the Intel VGA 10.x driver. I tried different versions of 10.x drivers, but to no avail. In the end, I tried 9.x (to be precise, I'm using 9.17.10.2932), and it worked! I found the driver in Acer's official driver website, for Windows 8 x64.

Try finding 9.x version of your Intel VGA driver. Once you have found it, uninstall your current problematic driver, restart, and then perform new install of the driver. Good luck!

big thanks to you!, it actually worked. i already have the 9 version of intel VGA and all others are 10+ , i used the 9 and restarted my laptop and it work., very thanks dude, by the way if those other guides didn't work for you, try this. it actually helped me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
I have an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 card. I am able to adjust the brightness by going to:

Control Panel --> Display --> Adjust brightness

At the bottom of the screen there is a brightness slider which works for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 3521
    Memory
    4GB
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast
glad to hear it!

Probably won't be optimum graphics especially playing games but hopefully you will eventually see an update available in windows update that actually works.

You can also search around the internet to see if somebody has found a good driver.

Did you try going back to the first one to see if it was just a glitch that fixed itself by switching between them?

Has lenovo posted a new driver?

omg i ****ing love you! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

p.s.

That one guy was right, it was the 10.x versions. I went back to 9.x using your method and it works,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel 4k / gt 635m
Hi, just joined to try and fix this problem, and after starting to follow instructions to search intel for old drivers, uninstall/reinstall etc, I found out that there's actually just an option to restore the driver back a version- and it fixes the brightness issue!

Not sure if this is unique to my Samsung Series 3 NP370R5E laptop (I'm not the most tech savvy), but I'd thought I'd share just in case as it seemed a bit easier/quicker.

My computer (or 'This PC' as Windows 8.1 decided to change it to)> Manage > Device Manager > Display Adaptors > Right click 'Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000' or at least in my case > Properties > Driver Tab > Roll Back Driver

Couldn't believe the update even had this problem, but thanks so much to everyone on this forum for being so helpful!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hello,

I had the same problem on an Lenovo IdeaPad U430 Touch with Windows 8.1. After some automatic Windows updates the brightness function keys (F11 and F12) did not work anymore and the screen brightness was set to very dark.

To solve the problem I downloaded and installed the Lenovo recommended Intel Chipset driver (in my case this was Intel Chipset Device Software, Version 9.4.0.1026, dated on August 05 2013). After a reboot the function keys worked again and the brightness control too.

You can find the packages for your laptop on
Products - Lenovo Support (US)
Choose your laptop model and "Chipset" for the software package.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Back