Bluetooth - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

How to Turn On or Off Bluetooth in Windows 8 and 8.1

information   Information
There are many different types of Bluetooth enabled devices you can add to your PC, such as mobile phones, wireless headsets, and wireless mouse devices and keyboards.

You must have Bluetooth wireless technology installed on your computer to have Bluetooth available.

For more information about Bluetooth in Windows, see: General Bluetooth Support in Windows

This tutorial will show you how to only turn on or off Bluetooth connectivity for the PC in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1.

This has no affect on Wi-Fi or cellular mobile broadband wireless devices like Airplane mode would.

Note   Note
If you turn on Bluetooth, then Airplane mode will also be automatically turned off.

OPTION ONE

Turn On or Off Bluetooth in Wireless PC settings in Windows 8

1. Open PC settings, and click/tap on Wireless in the left pane. (see screenshot below)​
2. In the right pane under Wireless devices, move the Bluetooth slider to turn on (right) or off (left) for what you want.​
3. When finished, you can close PC settings if you like.​
W8_Turn_On-Off_Bluetooth.png

OPTION TWO

Turn On or Off Bluetooth in PC and devices PC settings in Windows 8.1

1. Open PC settings, and click/tap on PC and devices in the left pane. (see screenshot below)​
Turn_On-Off_Bluetooth-1.jpg

2. Click/tap on Bluetooth in the left pane of PC and devices. (see screenshots below)​
3. In the right pane under Manage Bluetooth devices, move the Bluetooth slider to turn on (right) or off (left) for what you want.​
4. When finished, you can close PC settings if you like.​
Turn_On-Off_Bluetooth-3.png
Turn_On-Off_Bluetooth-2.jpg

OPTION THREE

Turn On or Off Bluetooth in Network PC settings in Windows 8.1

1. Open PC settings, and click/tap on Network in the left pane. (see screenshot below)​
Turn_On-Off_Bluetooth-A.jpg

2. Click/tap on Airplane mode in the left pane of Network. (see screenshot below)​
3. In the right pane under Wireless devices, move the Bluetooth slider to turn on (right) or off (left) for what you want.​
4. When finished, you can close PC settings if you like.​
Turn_On-Off_Bluetooth-B.png

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• Bluetooth.png
    Bluetooth.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 431
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand Microsofts reasoning on this. If I'm listening to music through my Iphone to a bluetooth speaker, then Windows will also connect to the bluetooth speaker which I don't want. Bluetooth never has worked well in Windows 8. Did fine in Windows 7. I have lost bluetooth connections constantly and have had to remove and pair the device again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Shortcut to the Bluetooth toggle switch

Hi,

Apologies if this is being posted in the wrong section, but when I go to PC and Devices > Bluetooth, there is no switch for turning Bluetooth on and off.

I am using Windows 8.1; the latest version.

Someone in the UK posted a fix for this. I'm amazed that I can't find this fix anywhere else.

** link removed **

In summary:
I always toggle my BT off when I’m not using a connected device to preserve battery life, it makes sense, so having to:
swipe for charms->select settings->change PC settings->PC & devices->Bluetooth->BT on/off
is about 5 steps too many in my book. There is however a relative easy way to implement this missing functionality.You can create a desktop shortcut that points directly to the Bluetooth settings section of the Metro settings. Firstly hold down a finger on the desktop until the menu pops up, then select New-> Shortcut. Then paste the following in the destination box:

%windir%\explorer.exe%localappdata%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\en-US\AAA_SettingsPagePCSystemBluetooth.settingcontent-ms

The part in bold should tie in directly with which language you selected when you set up your Windows 8.1 device. You can check the language by swiping charms->settings->keyboard, since most commonly you would have chosen a keyboard layout in line with the language settings on the device. Most likely it will be either UK or US, and if the shortcut you make with one doesn’t work, try the other.Once you have made the shortcut, you can simply pin it to Start, and it will appear as a live tile that you can tap to take you to the settings page and turn BT on/off. Okay, it’s still a two step process but that’s a heck of a lot quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hi,

Apologies if this is being posted in the wrong section, but when I go to PC and Devices > Bluetooth, there is no switch for turning Bluetooth on and off.

I am using Windows 8.1; the latest version.

Someone in the UK posted a fix for this. I'm amazed that I can't find this fix anywhere else.

** link removed **

In summary:
I always toggle my BT off when I’m not using a connected device to preserve battery life, it makes sense, so having to:
swipe for charms->select settings->change PC settings->PC & devices->Bluetooth->BT on/off
is about 5 steps too many in my book. There is however a relative easy way to implement this missing functionality.You can create a desktop shortcut that points directly to the Bluetooth settings section of the Metro settings. Firstly hold down a finger on the desktop until the menu pops up, then select New-> Shortcut. Then paste the following in the destination box:

%windir%\explorer.exe%localappdata%\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\en-US\AAA_SettingsPagePCSystemBluetooth.settingcontent-ms

The part in bold should tie in directly with which language you selected when you set up your Windows 8.1 device. You can check the language by swiping charms->settings->keyboard, since most commonly you would have chosen a keyboard layout in line with the language settings on the device. Most likely it will be either UK or US, and if the shortcut you make with one doesn’t work, try the other.Once you have made the shortcut, you can simply pin it to Start, and it will appear as a live tile that you can tap to take you to the settings page and turn BT on/off. Okay, it’s still a two step process but that’s a heck of a lot quicker.

We already had it here about a year before there. ;)

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/36102-bluetooth-devices-shortcut-create-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS